• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Laptop Computer, broken charging port

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems the 'hole' where I connect the power is broken, causing my laptop to not be able to charge. I was told this little part is really the primary part of laptop, not a small piece that can be replaced. Seems I am up a creek, so to speak.

Someone advised me I can have the hard drive removed, put into a case and I would be able to access data stored on it.

Does this make sense to those who know and understand such things?

Thanks in advance.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Not sure if the power port could be repaired or not, but the hard drive can almost certainly be removed and accessed.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
It's worth a try to repair it. Same thing happened to my niece's laptop. I took it apart (not easy), resoldered the broken solder joint, and put it back together (even harder). For a repair shop, it may cost under $100 to fix it. Ask for an estimate. If that doesn't work, removing the hard drive and putting it into a case is easy.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Art - I would first try to repair the laptop. If you're handy with taking apart the laptop to expose the motherboard, I'll bet the part is less than $20. If you're not handy at that, I agree with taking it to a shop and asking for an estimate.

But to answer your original question. If you want to take out the hard disk drive and read it on another computer, you need a SATA docking station. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/iDsonix-U310...8216180&sr=8-4&keywords=external+sata+adapter

You can drop any size SATA disk in there and read it via USB on another computer.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The part is cheap, replacing it is expensive. Its on the main board so the laptop has to be completely disassembled to get to it. If its a cracked solder connection, then its easy. If the jack is burned out its moderate. If the main board is burned its not cost effective.

I've repaired a few, I've seen cracked solder joints and jacks from bumps/falls. I've also seen the main board so overheated it burned up the traces and solder points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replies. Was told by repair shop not cost effective to fix.

Wanted to be confident of what I am asking to be done, as far as removing hard drive to put into case.

B.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replies. Was told by repair shop not cost effective to fix.

Wanted to be confident of what I am asking to be done, as far as removing hard drive to put into case.

B.

You don't need to put the hard disk drive into a case. You can drop the bare HDD into a SATA docking station like the one I linked. See the 2nd and 3rd pictures in the Amazon product page.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with Art - I would first try to repair the laptop. If you're handy with taking apart the laptop to expose the motherboard, I'll bet the part is less than $20. If you're not handy at that, I agree with taking it to a shop and asking for an estimate.

But to answer your original question. If you want to take out the hard disk drive and read it on another computer, you need a SATA docking station. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/iDsonix-U310...8216180&sr=8-4&keywords=external+sata+adapter

You can drop any size SATA disk in there and read it via USB on another computer.

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered the docking station. I juggle drives around enough while fixing computers that it will come in handy. It makes it convenient for scrubbing old drives too.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to local Best Buy with my need. Geek Squad guy easily removed subject part. (After watching how easy it was, I might have tried to do it myself.) Went to shelf stock and selected plastic case. Very inexpensive, BUT...my part wouldn't fit. Then selected docking style instead. BUT...it cost $60. I bought it because he was being so nice and helpful. Later, I read on the box it is able to hold two of those parts. ( Hard drives?)

Decided it really was more than I needed to spend to accomplish my task at hand. Took it back to a different Best Buy store...and this guy tells me I should have used it to retrieve my docs and then bring it back. Told him I considered doing that, but felt I'd have to tell a lie to return it. Got my money back and was told to try a place called. Fry's . I've seen that store but never been in one. OMG...talk about being overwhelmed!

Sorry for making this short story so long. This store had no less than 25 versions of a case, but the one the salesperson opened did not fit my drive. (It is 2.5 but too 'thick') Finally he suggested one that has a piece to clip on with USB cable. Not pretty but it will get the job done for $9.99 plus tax.

All is well that ends well, they say. Not able to do the job yet, but I am hopeful. And happy that another Tugger received some useful information as well.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yours is likely a 12.5mm drive, and most of the cases are designed for 9mm, IIRC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
For readers facing this problem, replacing the connector is easier than putting the case back together again and wondering what to do with the two leftover screws.... There are YouTubes on how to do it of course. I did find a local guy to do it once for under $100. So it depends where your laptop is in its "life cycle" and how full the drive is already and whether you really like the laptop or not.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

My docking station arrived today. Pretty slick! I tried it with a couple of old drives I had hanging around, 2 desktop drives and 1 laptop. All of them plugged in and were accessible via the USB port on my desktop. Thanks again Blues!

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My docking station arrived today. Pretty slick! I tried it with a couple of old drives I had hanging around, 2 desktop drives and 1 laptop. All of them plugged in and were accessible via the USB port on my desktop. Thanks again Blues!

You're welcome. Glad I could be of some help. I use it for some consulting work I do on the side. Embedded controller that stores data on a SATA drive. For testing, I just remove the drive from the target system and plug it into the SATA dock. Voila, I can check the data to see if the system worked properly. Of course, it has also come in handy for migrating to new computers, as the OP apparently wants to do.

The nice thing about these docks is that they're built to accept any size SATA drive -- 3.5", 2.5", even the rarely found 1.8" drives.

Lazz

Reaction score
My Wife's computer had this same problem. The repair shop replaced the part (I think it was the sound card) that the port was attached. It took three days (they had to order the part) and cost $124.