• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar [Merged]

Bierhund

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR (x2), SVV
The 20% coupon comes from the concierge. In December they gave us bracelets because they said the cardboard coupons did not survive the swim-up bar. If you forget either the coupon or the bracelet, just tell the server that you are an owner (that's what the concierge told us). They are pretty laid back down there, and no one makes a fuss about much. The staff is good at what they do, and it won't take them long to recognize you.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Sorry two more questions--leaving in 5 days!
How many devices can be used on free wifi? (almost $160 a week at Harborside
and 4 device limit)
Probably won't be honored but asked for a villa close to elevator due to the fatigue my husband has from cancer--would being close to elevator mean easier access to grounds/pools?
Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
and 4 device limit)
Probably won't be honored but asked for a villa close to elevator due to the fatigue my husband has from cancer--would being close to elevator mean easier access to grounds/pools?
Thanks!
All of the elevators go to the ground floor and there are lots of ramps. Some areas may be further away from where you may want to hang out. Buildings 100 through 600 may be a further walk to most areas around the pool areas where the action tends to be.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
and 4 device limit)
Thanks!

I did not hit a limit. 3 tablets, 3 phones, one laptop.

It's Ruckus WiFi now. Rock solid though naturally slows in the evenings.

No building is far from the pool. 4-6 are the furthest and near the water features.

Partly that location question also leads to where do you want to be. The smaller quieter zero entry pool (14-9) or the bigger pools with the entertainment (9-5) or the other side of that pool (5-1).

Last edited:

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
probably the zero entry and maybe closest to walk across street to mall.............

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just booked 2 weeks this fall. Can't wait to get back there.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
bummer had to cancel as husband ended up in hospital last night
Had to pay to cancel and now stuck with only a 60 day reservation too

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
So sorry to hear that. Hope he is better soon

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

When you called OS to cancel did you mention it was a medical reason that you had to cancel? I have read that other people have been able to cancel without the 60 day restriction, that OS has compassion. Granted I do not have first hand experience with this, but it is worth a shot. Even if you had to get a letter from your husband's physician, it would be worth it. Hope he recovers soon.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you called OS to cancel did you mention it was a medical reason that you had to cancel? I have read that other people have been able to cancel without the 60 day restriction, that OS has compassion. Granted I do not have first hand experience with this, but it is worth a shot. Even if you had to get a letter from your husband's physician, it would be worth it. Hope he recovers soon.
We had that for a funeral. Our friends who were joining us in the Studio had her mother pass. They returned the points unrestricted.

It's worth asking.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Thanks everyone I was going to start a post asking that questions. My husband has pancreatic cancer so the last 2 1/2 years have been tough==when I made these reservations he was doing well. Literally two day ago--we were to leave today--he spiked a high fever and almost convulsion type chills so called 911 and he has some sort of infection===waiting for blood cultures to come back.

Palmtreelady1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you see the cruise ships from the hotel? Also, do they have a cashless system at Lagunamar and use the room card for drinks and food etc.? Is gratuity already included as well when you order drinks? We go this Friday and are so excited!

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
At what point does this become the official Lagunamar thread (similar to the one for WSJ)? :)

Can you see the cruise ships from the hotel? Also, do they have a cashless system at Lagunamar and use the room card for drinks and food etc.? Is gratuity already included as well when you order drinks? We go this Friday and are so excited!

We saw several cruise ships from our room at WLR. They were usually in the distance; you cannot see them in port. And yes, you can charge to the room. Gratuity was not included but the prices were so reasonable -- about half of what you'd expect to pay state-side. We recently went to WLR for the first time and were on a pretty tight budget due to some other financial priorities, and we were pleasantly surprised at how far our dollars stretched.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can charge to room. There is room for a tip on the charge. It's not automatic and yes the service staff get the tips.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

As mentioned, the cruise ships are way off the coast. You can see them, but no real detail. There is no longer a cruise ship port in Cancun for the large ships they have these days. It is easier to see Cancun at night from the ships than to see the ships from Cancun. A couple years ago we were going past Cancun at night on the Carnival Magic. No one could figure out what all the lights were, many American's international geography isn't that good. I had to tell several people what it was that they could see with all the lights in the distance.

At what point does this become the official Lagunamar thread (similar to the one for WSJ)?
:)

I think it is there. I mentioned the same thing back on page 4 in post #90.

You can charge to room. There is room for a tip on the charge. It's not automatic and yes the service staff get the tips.

No problems tipping to the room. But do take some Pesos or $1 bills down to the pool with you as there will be attendants falling over themselves wanting to help you put towels on your chair or put up your umbrella.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We'll be going our first time in about 6 weeks!
This might sound odd, but does anyone have a recommendation for a massage therapist at the spa?
Or are they all good? Please PM me if there was someone you particularly liked.

Thanks!

blondietink

Reaction score
Anybody been to the Costco in Cancun? If so, was it worth it? Also, how much would a cab cost to get there?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody been to the Costco in Cancun? If so, was it worth it? Also, how much would a cab cost to get there?
Don't know the cab price. I think somewhere earlier on the thread someone posted a photo of the cab price page.

We use the Selecto Chedraui in the hotel zone. 150 pesos each way. Though pay attention to wines. We bought a demi sec which I would never have expected. And one was corked (not sure I can blame them but returning didn't happen on that compared to my US purchases). Also the Chablis was meh. 3/7 duffers.

Selecto Chedraui Cancún Zona Hotelera
https://goo.gl/maps/MKyanFt8nJR2

Depends what you want from Costco over a local supermarket.

blondietink

Reaction score
Don't know the cab price. I think somewhere earlier on the thread someone posted a photo of the cab price page.

We use the Selecto Chedraui in the hotel zone. 150 pesos each way. Though pay attention to wines. We bought a demi sec which I would never have expected. And one was corked (not sure I can blame them but returning didn't happen on that compared to my US purchases). Also the Chablis was meh. 3/7 duffers.

We aren't wine drinkers so that it out. Haven't been happy with the meat selection in Cancun supermarkets so was wondering how Costco was. Also, American style bacon is hard to find. Was hoping Costco would have a better selection. We are 4 adults and eat mostly in our villa for breakfast and dinner, so we go through a lot of food.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think a round trip to Costco with an hour wait would cost about $40 USD. That is the same as they usually charge to go to Walmart. You can probably take the bus there and a cab back though. Cabs outside the hotel zone tend to cost a lot less than they are inside the zone. I think we might have paid about $15 to come back from Walmart the one time, but I can't remember for sure. Costco isn't very far from Walmart.

Someone did mention earlier in the thread that Costco does tend to have better quality fresh meats. You could also try the new Soriana at the Kulkulcan Plaza 1KM south of Lagunamar. We were originally going to go to Costco and Walmart, but have decided we will probably just go to Soriana. Though we have decided to eat out more now and are okay with something light for breakfast like muffins or bagels. We are only two adults though, and will find out how well this all works out in May.

There is also a fairly large store where you can buy wines and liquors on the opposite side of the street about 0.5KM south of Lagunamar. Looking on Google Maps, I think it was Torre La Europea.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
There is also a fairly large store where you can buy wines and liquors on the opposite side of the street about 0.5KM south of Lagunamar. Looking on Google Maps, I think it was Torre La Europea.

That's correct -- Europea is the place.

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Harborside, Diamond Resorts
Definitely go to Costco for meat. We take the bus to Walmart, walk a few blocks to Costco then a taxi back to Lagunamar. The grocery stores on the strip and the liquor store have everything else you need.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
We didn't rent a car for the first time vacationing and it was a non issue. The buses are there every minute. Only a couple times was the bus so full we had to stand but that was the exception. Generally it was less than a quarter full. We took are own canvas shopping bags as they were much easier to carrier and we didn't have to worry about them braking.

We did miss the bus stop going to Walmart and Costco as you can't see them to get off going in. The street splits just before you have to get off. Just one of those things you don't know what you don't know. We noticed quite a few people telling the driver where they wanted off and the driver would announce it when we got there, so that's an easy option as well.

We were going to go the Sam's Club there but we ran out of time that day.

We went to the Plaza Las Américas which isn't very far from Walmart/Costco.
We got off just before getting to the Walmart stop. It was a 15 minute walk. It's a large indoor mall. We were there for a few hours but could have stayed much longer.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)

WLR to Chedraui is 10.05 pesos by bus...so 21 pesos round trip.