• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar [Merged]

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
Looking at a resale 2 bedroom Floating Platinum plus EOY. I am totally green on this system. With it being resale, how would we go about booking a week? Could we split and stay 2 weeks or more?

Thanks
This unit is a lock off, so you can book the Studio and 1 bedroom portions seperately to have two one week vacations within the Platinum Plus season annually.

Markus

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
This unit is a lock off, so you can book the Studio and 1 bedroom portions seperately to have two one week vacations within the Platinum Plus season annually.

Markus
thanks, I am currently reading the sticky notes from the top of the forum. Anyone know what a good resale price is?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
Resale prices can be all over the place.

A good price is one that you and the seller can agree on as being fair.

I own a bunch of units here and have seen them sold, EOY Platinum Plus from $5k to $12k. Right now supply at Westin Lagunamar is very low.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You probably know this but for what it is worth:

Platinum Plus are weeks 5-17, 24-35, 44-47 and 51-52 and that Gold Plus are the other weeks.

Also for a 2BR LO the fee for each time your use comes up is currently $1,365.12. For every other year contracts half is charged 1 year and the other half the other year.

98% of the units have the same view category and 2% are considered ocean side and very seldom seen on resale.

Closing costs can be all over the place but the lowest reputable is LT Transfers that totals $525 and is made up of $150 to LT Transfers, $50 for escrow so your money is held until unit Transfers, $300 to Fidelity who works for Lagunamar and $25 to home owners association.

Hope that helps.​

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
You probably know this but for what it is worth:

Platinum Plus are weeks 5-17, 24-35, 44-47 and 51-52 and that Gold Plus are the other weeks.

Also for a 2BR LO the fee for each time your use comes up is currently $1,365.12. For every other year contracts half is charged 1 year and the other half the other year.

98% of the units have the same view category and 2% are considered ocean side and very seldom seen on resale.

Closing costs can be all over the place but the lowest reputable is LT Transfers that totals $525 and is made up of $150 to LT Transfers, $50 for escrow so your money is held until unit Transfers, $300 to Fidelity who works for Lagunamar and $25 to home owners association.

Hope that helps.​
Helps a lot, didn't know most of that. Appreciate your generosity in sharing info

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You're welcome. Learn from others mistakes is the motto of TUG I think.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
You can look on RedWeek or on the classifieds of this board for resales.

Markus

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well we went ahead and signed the purchase agreement for a unit.(and I said I would never buy another timeshare)
If everything goes through we will be owners(2BR eoy Plantinum+) in time to book for 2019. A couple of questions:

1. Is it essential to book at midnight on the 12 month window, for week 10 & 11? What about 51 & 52? Are they possible to reserve being that they are event weeks?

2. If I were interested in trading, is it a strong trader with II? Are there any other trading options?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well we went ahead and signed the purchase agreement for a unit.(and I said I would never buy another timeshare)
If everything goes through we will be owners(2BR eoy Plantinum+) in time to book for 2019. A couple of questions:

1. Is it essential to book at midnight on the 12 month window, for week 10 & 11? What about 51 & 52? Are they possible to reserve being that they are event weeks?

2. If I were interested in trading, is it a strong trader with II? Are there any other trading options?
1 essential for 10 and 11, no. Advisable yes. 51 and 52 yes. Note often availability appears at other windows 8 months when others book with star options elsewhere and cancel their week booking and 3 months when So can still cancel without penalty.

2. I got nothing, though as a cancun with no ai it is popular. Possible better to rent if you can.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats!
1 you never know but week 10/11 should be fine. Week 51/52 should be booked as early as possible.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 essential for 10 and 11, no. Advisable yes. 51 and 52 yes. Note often availability appears at other windows 8 months when others book with star options elsewhere and cancel their week booking and 3 months when So can still cancel without penalty.

2. I got nothing, though as a cancun with no ai it is popular. Possible better to rent if you can.

Yes I was thinking along those lines. We like the Royals and have stayed there multiple times, but with the Mayan and now Caribbean there is/will be a definite shortage of Non AI. I stayed at Lagunamar on a promotion in it's first year and loved the location so definitely looking forward to getting the most out of our ownership

blondietink

Reaction score
Just an FYI for the weeks you are looking at to reserve. If you are at all adverse to crowds, avoid those weeks if possible. In talking to one of the pool concierge we have gotten to know over the years, he said from mid-December through New Years and mid Feb through mid-April or depending on when Easter is, the crowds can be brutal. He described 6 or more rows of lounges on the pool deck so tight you can't walk through, people getting up at 3 am to stake out lounges, the beach is very bad also, etc. We like a more laid back vacation and tend to go off-season.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI for the weeks you are looking at to reserve. If you are at all adverse to crowds, avoid those weeks if possible. In talking to one of the pool concierge we have gotten to know over the years, he said from mid-December through New Years and mid Feb through mid-April or depending on when Easter is, the crowds can be brutal. He described 6 or more rows of lounges on the pool deck so tight you can't walk through, people getting up at 3 am to stake out lounges, the beach is very bad also, etc. We like a more laid back vacation and tend to go off-season.
Thanks,those are the weeks for the next few years, since I teach and the school breaks in Ontario are built around those weeks. We are kind of used to the crowds of spring having stayed a Royal Sands several times on week 10. Eventually I will retire but we would still like some of those weeks to escape the snow and cold

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
They never responded to our actual villa request, but they answered other questions that I asked in the same email. We talked with another owner that had a studio and 2BR back to back. THey allowed them to just open up the lock off door from the studio to then have the whole 2BR the next week. The resort is large, so they should be fine meeting your request, though never any guaranties.

I recall seeing some bakery items at Soriana.

You should be able to sign up for interval. I don't know what the invitee code is. Is it a required field? I tried going through the new member process and it is asking for a "Solicitation #". Is that what you are referring to. It says it is a required field, but then only indicates to input it if you have one.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry had Internet issues for a couple of days/week as they are running fiber in our neighborhood. Yes, I was referring to the Solicitation #. Even though you could bypass it with resort name and last name, it wouldn't submit. And, kept saying there was an error. I ended up calling Interval yesterday and finally got an account although they have to confirm with the resort since I still didn't have a solicitation number so I can see Getaways at the moment (well not at the moment because all of the Interval website seems to be having an issue), but yesterday, I could see Getaways.

We still never received a response from any of the Concierges but my husband called and spoke to someone about requesting a room. I still need to figure out the birthday cake and will definitely check Soriana. Thanks for all your help.

blondietink

Reaction score
I don't think a trip with the little one to Chichen Itza would be advisable either. It is a very long ride both ways (2-3 hours?) plus it is really very hot there. I don't even know if the 7 and 9 year old would hold up very well. Just my opinion.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
So we are having the previous owner's make our 2018 reservation while we wait for the purchase to close. Question

will we be able to make changes to that reservation after we take ownership, if our plans happen to change?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So we are having the previous owner's make our 2018 reservation while we wait for the purchase to close. Question

will we be able to make changes to that reservation after we take ownership, if our plans happen to change?
You may want to contact the title department to make sure they are clear on the transfer of the reservation, if that is possible. I have read that when a contract/deed is transferred, all reservations are cancelled and the new owner then updated on the account. You will want to confirm with the title department at Vistana. If they are able to transfer the reservation, you can certainly cancel is if plans change. Just do it prior to 60 days before checkin to prevent restrictions on use.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes you will be able to change, up to about a week or two before check in (not 60 days as it's not part of SVN).
I agree, make sure the closing company is clear that reservation should stay and goes with buyer.
There is always a risk it gets cancelled so don't book your flights until it clears.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think a trip with the little one to Chichen Itza would be advisable either. It is a very long ride both ways (2-3 hours?) plus it is really very hot there. I don't even know if the 7 and 9 year old would hold up very well. Just my opinion.
I did the trip by car (and owe a trip report). It's a long day for a 2 and 6 and 72 and 75 year old. It's pretty long for the 40 year Olds in the driver's and passengers seats as well.

The self drive saves the pickup and drop off. My 6 year old whined at the time but tells everyone she has been there and gets the photos out. The 2 year old wanted her stroller.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

You may want to buy with 2019 ownership and pay the 2018 MF.

You run some risk the seller could steal your 2018 but it's a different risk to losing the reservation.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You may want to buy with 2019 ownership and pay the 2018 MF.

You run some risk the seller could steal your 2018 but it's a different risk to losing the reservation.
I think the only way they could steal the 2018 is to borrow the StarOptions. Though then the seller would also have to prepay the 2018 MFs. So the buyer would still come out whole with 2019 usage except perhaps any small increase in the MF for 2018 that they would have to make up.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Just back from a promotional visit of 5 Days. I took the offer I received as a SPG Gold member and enjoyed the visit.

The sales pitch was low key with the saleswoman, her manager and the top dog who offered a ~$2500 two year deal at Lagunamar (one week each year) and 70000 points. If I could have booked another resort other than Lagunamar, I might have accepted but the offer was strictly for the home resort. 90 minutes, we were done and I walked out and got my 11500 points for a relatively painless experience.

Nice resort and worth much more than I paid. Hope they offer me again at a different resort. Hilton has made me similar offers in the past at about 5 year intervals that I've also taken advantage of and enjoyed.

At both Starwood and Hilton (and others), I always offer to skip the sales pitch and not waste their time. On a rare occasion, they agree but usually I keep declining any offer and we generally wind up talking mostly about other things, as happened at this pitch.

Cheers

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
We checked in on the 21st. It is now the 27th and no call or request to visit the concierge desk to assist us in any way.

We did receive an email Wednesday asking if there was anything we needed before we arrived such as transportation from the airport. To bad we were already here, lol.

I think our first week has fallen between the cracks with them. Don't get me wrong, as it's nice not to get bugged but my wife thinks it has something to do with us using back to back getaways. (not seen as actual guests)

Last year we stayed 2 weeks using exchanges and they were calling from day 1.

We got some decent incentives last time and used them to go to Xel-ha. Thought we would go to the presentation again if the incentives were worth it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Palmtreelady1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: Airport transfers to Legunamar? What one is the best for 2 people coming in on Sat during Presidents week!