• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar [Merged]

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I know this has been discussed before recently, but I'm still perplexed at the ZERO availability during WLR event weeks home resort period this year 2017. We aren't even 8 months out yet!!! Mexico is like Orlando, a lot of supply and overbuilt. I find it hard to believe that there is NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA available at WLR during weeks 51 and week 52. I own (and use EY) week 51 event week, I'd like to change the reservation to check in one day later. Can't. Full. Really?? There has to be some hold back of inventory and control somewhere.
While it is like Orlando, even Orlando is a hard reservation for weeks 51 and 52. I suspect these weeks book up 12 months in advance.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I tried moving the check in one day at 364 days out prior to check in. Booked up in less than a day?!?!?! Essentially it booked up just as fast as Hawaii and WSJ and HRA.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I have enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you all for sharing your insights. We have been to Cancun once, in 2010, and stayed at the Sands. We are thinking of staying at Lagunamar next late April, which sounds like a nice time to be there. Will definitely keep following this thread.

Best regards.

Mike

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
For restaurants, La Distilleria is one of our favorites. They tend to be pricey but VERY good. I always eat their Molcajete. Also we stumbled upon the Surfing Burrito and they are very reasonably priced with great food and is usually quick. There is also Casa de Tequila over by the Selecto Chedraui. They have a great patio where you can sit out on a warm evening and enjoy the food & drink. Their margaritas are good. Another good place is Tacun with rajas tacos. If you are willing to venture out, hit up the taco stands in the Parque de Palapas in downtown Cancun. It's where the locals go and there is a nice playground for kids. The food is cheap, priced for the locals (not tourists) and way yummy. I've not had any problem with any of the fruits or veggies, but be careful.

thanks everyone for the restaurant suggestions. I've jotted them all down.
We go there in 1.5 weeks, can't wait!!!

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another restaurant suggestion is Puerto Madero for upscale dining. This is one of my favorite all-time restaurants anywhere. You also get a 10% discount on your bill if you show them your WLR key card.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
El fish fritango. Omg the tuna sashimi is out of this world. Calamari and octopus cappacio were also good. Prices were amazing.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Agree with above and we also love Captain's Cove, great Karioke in the lounge after dinner and a resident alligator

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I see the comment about Cancun booking up quickly during Week 51 and 52 - does that happen during Spring Break week too?

We are thinking about Cancun for March 31-April 7 2018 and curious if this would likely be full at 8 months out.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Best,

Greg

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Greg, If I remember correctly, spring break time still had availability inside of 8 months. Though I may not have been looking at specific week you were. I would say that it is still a pretty popular week, but with Spring Break being more of a floating week around the country, demand will be spread out a little more. Though I see that your dates are over Easter. Holy week may have higher demand with Americans and Mexican Nationals. Perhaps others with more experience booking those specific weeks can answer.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are here on an explorer package for spring break so it should be doable.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I believe explorer package is separate inventory.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I see the comment about Cancun booking up quickly during Week 51 and 52 - does that happen during Spring Break week too?

We are thinking about Cancun for March 31-April 7 2018 and curious if this would likely be full at 8 months out.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Best,

Greg

I booked 1 Bdrm premium at exactly 8 months for this year March 25-April 1, and a studio for same dates a couple days later. I recall looking out of curiosity at availability for the week after, April 1-8, because that is the K-12 spring break in my area. And there appeared to be pretty good availability. (week of March 26-April 1 is my son's college spring break, but Easter falls much later this year, April 16). There were still units available for March 25, about 7 months out.

I agree with Dioxide that Spring break demand is spread out over a few weeks because of different college and K-12 school district calendars. Still if you know the week you want, I would book at 9 pm Pacific time, at 8 months, to be sure :D.

Hope this helps.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Thank you all for your help here - once we decide, I will try exactly 8 months out (plus one) at 9pm PT.

Best,

Greg

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was successful booking this exact week for 2017 last year at 8 mos out, with no trouble. Leave in less than 2 weeks!

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Only a few weeks left before our visit and I have a grocery question. Love the new grocery stores available near the resort. However, the choice of bacon is severely limited/non existent. Has anyone brought food in their suitcases like we do going to the Bahamas? Would love to bring some frozen bacon with our family of 4. Is it allowed or not?

SeattleJohn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't want to start a new thread so will throw out a couple of questions here. (I've read through this long thread pretty thoroughly and picked up a lot of great advice.) We are staying at Lagunamar starting a week from Sunday. My wife and I have three kids (7 months, 7 yo, 9 yo) so will probably spend a lot of time at the pool and beach but we will also want to venture out one or two days.

1) What is the best way to get from the airport to the resort given that we'll have a young baby. (If possible we don't want to drag the carseat along.) We would be happy to pay extra for a direct trip. I think USA Transfers is the one a lot of people recommend.
2) Is Xcaret worth the trip? Xel-ha? Xplor?
3) Any restaurants that will have fun stuff for the kids to do? I recall reading about crocs or alligators at one restaurant.

Any other advice for Lagunamar / Cancun with kids?

Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
1) What is the best way to get from the airport to the resort given that we'll have a young baby. (If possible we don't want to drag the carseat along.) We would be happy to pay extra for a direct trip. I think USA Transfers is the one a lot of people recommend.
I am only able to really answer this one. I would definitely recommend USA Transfers. You have to prebook. I think you can also request a car seat, though they can't guaranty that they will have it. DO NOT just show up at the airport without transfers prebooked. If you do, someone will certainly take advantage of you.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't want to start a new thread so will throw out a couple of questions here. (I've read through this long thread pretty thoroughly and picked up a lot of great advice.) We are staying at Lagunamar starting a week from Sunday. My wife and I have three kids (7 months, 7 yo, 9 yo) so will probably spend a lot of time at the pool and beach but we will also want to venture out one or two days.

2) Is Xcaret worth the trip? Xel-ha? Xplor?
3) Any restaurants that will have fun stuff for the kids to do? I recall reading about crocs or alligators at one restaurant.

Any other advice for Lagunamar / Cancun with kids?

Thanks!
1. USA transfers have a kid car seat option in most vans . You tell them when you book.
2. Not sure it's worth it with a 7 mo in tow but yes it's worth it mm
3. Jugo has a view of the dolphin pool at the aquarium

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Captain's Cove also has an alligator that shows up each evening. They are very kid friendly there. Beautiful
view, lagoon side tables

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Captain's Cove also has an alligator that shows up each evening. They are very kid friendly there. Beautiful
view, lagoon side tables

Are the alligators kid friendly because kids are more tender?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I was thinking of putting in a II OGS for this resort for fall 2018 thru winter 2019. Do you think this is achieveable ?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Fall seems to be a pretty easy exchange. There are a ton of Aug through Nov weeks available as getaways right now for 2017. Though some of this availability may be because of pool closures happening this late summer and fall.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ha ha . OMG, just reread what I wrote. So to clarify, Captain's Cove is kid friendly. We went there for lunch
last week and they had a clown making balloon animals, and had a jumping castle in the lounge. Not sure if that is typical
or it was a special day. The were no alligators around at lunch time . Guess I should proofread my post, you think.

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
Hi,
We are staying at Lagunamar in a few weeks and have a couple questions:

1. Should we rent a car? We are planning on a Cozumel dive as well as a day exploring Cozumel, a possible trip to Xelha/Xcaret and some dinners in Cancun.
  2. Is Xcaret/Xelha worth the cost and travel time? We have a 10yo boy and 8yo girl.
  3. Are the owners updates more pushy than the other properties? Our past experiences in Mexico had somebody trying to hard sell us around every corner.
  4. Any other tips?
Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi,
We are staying at Lagunamar in a few weeks and have a couple questions:

Should we rent a car? We are planning on a Cozumel dive as well as a day exploring Cozumel, a possible trip to Xelha/Xcaret and some dinners in Cancun.
Renting a car may or may not be a good idea. Realize that Cozumel is an Island and will require a ferry ride. You would probably not want to take a rental over and just either rent a car over there or use taxis to get around. I would think using the ADO Bus to get to Playa del Carmen which will go to the bus station in Playa. It isn't far to the ferry terminal from there.

Is Xcaret/Xelha worth the cost and travel time? We have a 10yo boy and 8yo girl.
Can't speak to these as we have been to neither.

Are the owners updates more pushy than the other properties? Our past experiences in Mexico had somebody trying to hard sell us around every corner.
We found the presentation at the Lagunamar to be very low pressure. The first time we went they didn't even tell us how much the weeks cost.

Any other tips?
Thanks!
The Lagunamar is great. Read up in this thread.