• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina owner reservations

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

We are returning to home tomorrow after a great Hawaii trip. We finished up here at Ko Olina, and there is much to like about this property, I will definitely return and happy that we have a unit here.

I learned an interesting fact that I had not been aware of previously (and which should have been obvious to me). We know that Naia building is mostly (~70%?) non-lockoffs -- there are 3 lock-off and 7 non-lockoff 2BRs on most floors.

What I never realized is that owners can request a "Single Entry" 2BR OV when calling in to make their reservation. Different owners will have different building preferences, but for someone who hopes to be in Naia, that's the way to get access. This doesn't help mjm1 and others who may want to stay only in the Master Suite and trade the lock-off, but I do like this building and will use this trick. We've also had positive experience in Hale Kona, but have never stayed in Hale Moana. I remain curious how adjacent construction will impact the view plane from Kona and Naia.

But this Single Entry reservation request also makes it easier to combine with a points reservation, since there is a ton of Ko Olina inventory in the trust, and much of it is Single Entry flavor.

My apologies if others have already realized this, but just thought I would post it for the benefit of other Ko Olina owners who like Naia and don't require a lock-off.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greg, glad you all had a great time again this year.

Thanks for mentioning this option. Yes, we were aware of requesting a non-lock off and stay in Naia even though we own a lock off, but as you mentioned, that doesn't work for us if we just want to use the master suite. We would likely use this option if we ever want a full 2BR unit. That view from Naia is amazing.

Best regards.

Mike

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
  • Single Entry = Dedicated Unit, One Entry Door?
  • Double Entry = Lock-off Unit, Two Entry Doors?
Is the layout of a dedicated vs lock-off 2BR unit similar?

For a 3BR, can I assume the 2BR portion is always in the location of the dedicated portion of the 3BR (middle of Nai'i or Moana)? Thus a moot point since none will be double entry?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
  • Single Entry = Dedicated Unit, One Entry Door?
  • Double Entry = Lock-off Unit, Two Entry Doors?
Is the layout of a dedicated vs lock-off 2BR unit similar?

For a 3BR, can I assume the 2BR portion is always in the location of the dedicated portion of the 3BR (middle of Nai'i or Moana)? Thus a moot point since none will be double entry?

There a couple of differences for the Single Entry, versus the Double Entry, but the footprint is substantially the same. The primary differences are that the Double Entries (that exist in Kona and Moana) have a sun room as part of the Master Bedroom, which can be used for a rollaway bed (or for something else). Additionally, having a Double Entry means that the lock-off has additional infrastructure (refrigerator/plates/utensils/etc) that can benefit your party.

I like these components of the Double Entry floorplan. However, I really like the view plan from Naia, and the proximity to the Naia grills (with their amazing view) and therefore will be requesting the Single Entry units when I visit Ko Olina next in a 2BR. If I only need the Master Suite, then I will book the Double Entry, but still request Hale Naia since there are a few Double Entries in that building.

I hope that helps?

Best,

Greg

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Thanks GregT! Good to know. I recall the sunroom in my couple visits to MKO in recent years. I always thought that was an excellent touch! But, I do like the distance to the ocean that Naia provides. Moana just seems set back so far. Both still have nice views. Cheers!

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
All,

We are returning to home tomorrow after a great Hawaii trip. We finished up here at Ko Olina, and there is much to like about this property, I will definitely return and happy that we have a unit here.

I learned an interesting fact that I had not been aware of previously (and which should have been obvious to me). We know that Naia building is mostly (~70%?) non-lockoffs -- there are 3 lock-off and 7 non-lockoff 2BRs on most floors.

What I never realized is that owners can request a "Single Entry" 2BR OV when calling in to make their reservation. Different owners will have different building preferences, but for someone who hopes to be in Naia, that's the way to get access. This doesn't help mjm1 and others who may want to stay only in the Master Suite and trade the lock-off, but I do like this building and will use this trick. We've also had positive experience in Hale Kona, but have never stayed in Hale Moana. I remain curious how adjacent construction will impact the view plane from Kona and Naia.

But this Single Entry reservation request also makes it easier to combine with a points reservation, since there is a ton of Ko Olina inventory in the trust, and much of it is Single Entry flavor.

My apologies if others have already realized this, but just thought I would post it for the benefit of other Ko Olina owners who like Naia and don't require a lock-off.

Best,

Greg
Greg, thanks for the info...is the "single entry" choice available on the website? We are planning for Aug 2018 and that seems like a way to get Naia.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg, thanks for the info...is the "single entry" choice available on the website? We are planning for Aug 2018 and that seems like a way to get Naia.
I'm not sure, I've only reserved it at the 13 months (calling in), and haven't made an online reservation. If you make the reservation online, please let us know!

Best,

Greg

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure, I've only reserved it at the 13 months (calling in), and haven't made an online reservation. If you make the reservation online, please let us know!

Best,

Greg
I just reserved both online and by phone at the 13 month window and got two 2BR single entry (8 days) and a 1BR master suite (20days); all ocean view.....big family vacation planned! So now I just have to figure out which building they are in....hopefully Naia.

Any ideas how to get them all in close proximity in the best building?

Thanks!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Single Entry will be in Naia - it's the only building with single entry configuration.

The 1BR will most likely not be in Naia because there are many many more of these in the other two buildings (as in more than 300, versus maybe 40 in Naia).

So please expect to be in Kona or Moana with the 1BR. I would request the second unit to be in Kona, which is closer to Naia.

Thanks for the response - and to confirm, you made the 2Br Single Entry reservation 13 months out, and you made it online? I didn't know you could make 13 months ressies online. That would be a nice change.

Best,

Greg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I just reserved both online and by phone at the 13 month window and got two 2BR single entry (8 days) and a 1BR master suite (20days); all ocean view.....big family vacation planned! So now I just have to figure out which building they are in....hopefully Naia.

Any ideas how to get them all in close proximity in the best building?

Thanks!

... Thanks for the response - and to confirm, you made the 2Br Single Entry reservation 13 months out, and you made it online? I didn't know you could make 13 months ressies online. That would be a nice change.

Best,

Greg

Greg, judging by the number of days Bob booked I took his "both online and by phone" to mean that he phoned in to get his Weeks reservations and then went online to supplement those with Points reservations?

To be clear, there hasn't been a change and it's still not possible to make instantaneous Weeks reservations online at the 13-mos Reservation Window. You can put in a request via owners.marriottvacationclub.com but those requests aren't processed until after the phone queues are cleared upon window openings. Don't count on that request process if you're trying to reserve high-demand Weeks intervals. :)

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg, judging by the number of days Bob booked I took his "both online and by phone" to mean that he phoned in to get his Weeks reservations and then went online to supplement those with Points reservations?

To be clear, there hasn't been a change and it's still not possible to make instantaneous Weeks reservations online at the 13-mos Reservation Window. You can put in a request via owners.marriottvacationclub.com but those requests aren't processed until after the phone queues are cleared upon window openings. Don't count on that request process if you're trying to reserve high-demand Weeks intervals. :)

Thanks for the responses...to clarify, All my reservations were made with points...I accumulated them all with borrowing, saving, etc for this one big push...we decided on Ko Olina since it had the best odds of getting the rooms we needed and an opportunity for grandkids to experience Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and they could do other islands as addons (with their $$) if they want.

I worked the resisses by starting on line, holding some and then calling to get others and book everything....worked pretty well. As time gets closer I will try to get the 1BR in NAIA by calling the resort.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Just got back from MKO two days ago.

If you want single entry, best to call and reserve it and check that the confirmation email specifically states single entry.
As far as I know, there is NO WAY to do this online. I once reserved "Full Villa" option once thinking it was single entry, but it ended up being a 2BR lockoff.
Again - check that confirmation E-mail because some phone reps simply don't understand single entry.

So many owners are not really yet aware of the single entry units in Naia, and so many owners opt for lockoff, that even summer single entry is often widely available well into August. Until people catch on, getting into Naia is exceedingly easy. Single Entry guarantees Naia.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_5477.jpg
Just got back from MKO two days ago.

If you want single entry, best to call and reserve it and check that the confirmation email specifically states single entry.
As far as I know, there is NO WAY to do this online. I once reserved "Full Villa" option once thinking it was single entry, but it ended up being a 2BR lockoff.
Again - check that confirmation E-mail because some phone reps simply don't understand single entry.

So many owners are not really yet aware of the single entry units in Naia, and so many owners opt for lockoff, that even summer single entry is often widely available well into August. Until people catch on, getting into Naia is exceedingly easy. Single Entry guarantees Naia.
I just checked the online booking options for our Playa Andaluza unit and it shows these

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Single Entry will be in Naia - it's the only building with single entry configuration.
To confirm...this is true of the penthouse units as well, yes? So my single entry penthouse reservation will be Naia?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
To confirm...this is true of the penthouse units as well, yes? So my single entry penthouse reservation will be Naia?
Yes. Now penthouse does not mean the highest floor in the building. It just means no one above you and you have the taller ceiling.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk