• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina 3 bedroom availability

melroseman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be looking to book 9 nights in a 3 bedroom OV Ko Olina for May 2018 at the 13 month mark by bundling some points, mostly from enrolled weeks and some trust points. Does anybody have a sense of whether there will be any availability problems?? TYIA...

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think you will be fine -- the Trust is deep in Ko Olina inventory (including 3BRs) and as long as are you booking 13 months out, you will be fine. If it's not there exactly 13 months out, try again at 13 months minus 1 day (then 13 months minus 2 days). It's definitely in the Trust, and may take a little time to load into the Exchange.

Best,

Greg

melroseman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Hopefully there won't be a glitch since less than half the points I use will be trust points. This will be my first "hybrid" usage

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Thank you. Hopefully there won't be a glitch since less than half the points I use will be trust points. This will be my first "hybrid" usage
Just a heads up so you don't wonder what is going on if this occurs (either in this ressie or a future one).... but each night of a reservation needs to booked with either Trust or Legacy points, not a combination of them. So for instance, if you have 200 Trust Points and 200 Legacy points in your account, and you try to book a room night needing 300 points, even though you have more than enough total points (400) to cover the needed ressie (300), the system will not allow you to book it because you don't have 300 Trust or 300 Legacy. Its one pain in the butt nuance to the system, so I figured I would mention it so you would be aware.

To clarify, I am not saying that you cannot combine Trust and Legacy Points into the same reservation....you can, but what I am saying is that each and every night in that reservation must be booked with one or the other, and that can cause issues.

melroseman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me...I guess I knew that but didn't think about it. Fortunately, looks like Marriott anticipated this...or maybe I get lucky...I'll be using 4000 trust points, and a weekend night and a non-weekend night is 2000 points (1175 and 825) so the numbers work out well

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up so you don't wonder what is going on if this occurs (either in this ressie or a future one).... but each night of a reservation needs to booked with either Trust or Legacy points, not a combination of them. So for instance, if you have 200 Trust Points and 200 Legacy points in your account, and you try to book a room night needing 300 points, even though you have more than enough total points (400) to cover the needed ressie (300), the system will not allow you to book it because you don't have 300 Trust or 300 Legacy. Its one pain in the butt nuance to the system, so I figured I would mention it so you would be aware.

To clarify, I am not saying that you cannot combine Trust and Legacy Points into the same reservation....you can, but what I am saying is that each and every night in that reservation must be booked with one or the other, and that can cause issues.
I suppose this is one benefit I didn't know I had by only having so called Legacy points, I don't need to worry about this nuance.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

I had not realized this was for every night in the reservation. I had thought that you only needed the first night to come from a single bucket. Therefore, that means that someone with legacy points who needs to rent a few to finish out a reservation better rent just legacy points because the trust points (which many think have slightly more value and flexibility) often won't help much with one of the nights.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I had not realized this was for every night in the reservation. I had thought that you only needed the first night to come from a single bucket. Therefore, that means that someone with legacy points who needs to rent a few to finish out a reservation better rent just legacy points because the trust points (which many think have slightly more value and flexibility) often won't help much with one of the nights.
Agree. If you are not already in a situation where you have a mix of Trust and Legacy points and are renting points to combine with the points you already have, if you have Legacy points, best to rent Legacy points and if you already have Trust points, best to rent Trust points. Reservations that come from the Exchange can be secured with a mix, but it does tend to cause leftover points of one or the other, unless it just happens to work out perfectly.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Hopefully this whole issue is described in the sales presentation with a written disclaimer, especially a "bundle" package sale.

melroseman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this whole issue is described in the sales presentation with a written disclaimer, especially a "bundle" package sale.
I do think that the vacation advisors can "mix" points, and I've been told that Marriott is moving toward "a point is a point" without regard to legacy versus trust. I doubt that very many reservations have been lost because the mix of points didn't come out right...

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do think that the vacation advisors can "mix" points, and I've been told that Marriott is moving toward "a point is a point" without regard to legacy versus trust. I doubt that very many reservations have been lost because the mix of points didn't come out right...

This was my experience back in 2010 when I tried to book Maui. I had to escalate to get this resolved.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'll be looking to book 9 nights in a 3 bedroom OV Ko Olina for May 2018 at the 13 month mark by bundling some points, mostly from enrolled weeks and some trust points. Does anybody have a sense of whether there will be any availability problems?? TYIA...

Can you do a 13 month reservation with legacy pts? I thought to do a 13 month reservation you needed to be making a reservation at your home resorts and during your home season with your weeks.

Never-mind I see if you are "Select" or above you can use your pts at 13 months for reservations of 7 days or more

Last edited: