• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai Beach Villas vs Princeville

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just made reservations for 4 nights at a resort in Princeville (Ka 'Eo Kai) with my Wyndham points. Then I noticed there was availability for the same 4 nights at Kauai Beach Villas. At first I thought Princeville would be nice and pretty although I've never stayed there. Though I've been to Kauai more than a half a dozen times I've never stayed in a timeshare there. Now I am having second thoughts. Maybe staying in Lihue would be better (more central) since we only have 4 days. There will but just 2 adults (myself and my sister) in a 1 bedroom at either resort.

I can change the reservation. But I should decide sooner rather than later.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ka 'Eo Kai is in the Princeville development, and it is not on the beach and doesn't have ocean views. One issue for me is that Princeville is cooler and wetter in the winter - so it depends on when you are going.

Kauai Beach Villas in not actually in Lihue, although it's not far. Kauai Beach Villas is right on the ocean, but only buildings F, G, and H are ocean front buildings. When I'm in Hawaii, I want to see the ocean from my lanai, so if you can get an ocean front reservation at Kauai Beach Villas, I think that would be a better reservation.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I would take KBV for the location, especially for such a short stay, unless you want to spend all your time up north.

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
We stayed in Princeville for a whole week last April and had 1-1/2 days of solid rain. A co-worker stayed in Lihue the same week (we actually had the same flight over) and they had NO rain the entire week. I wouldn't gamble on a short trip and would pick the drier side.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I stayed with family at Ka 'Eo Kai for a week in October of 2015. It rained for a day and a half, but the rest of the week the weather was excellent all over the island. Our two bedroom unit included the whole second floor (top floor). The master bedroom was very large, but the second bedroom was very small with only two twin beds and a tiny bathroom. The kitchen and living room were very roomy. The unit as a whole was old and things would break on us (sliding door to deck, ceiling fan, others). There was no air conditioning, no wind, and stifling heat. The pool was small. I will not return. I haven't stayed at Bali Hai, but the sample units looked nice. I think only the Presidential Units at Bali Hai have air conditioning. Other than the accommodations, we had a great time snorkeling and exploring the island. The air tour was magnificent.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I used to own at Kauai Beach Villas. It's a great place to stay for exploring the island. Centrally located, right on the beach, and easy to get to/from the airport. Princeville is certainly fancier, but is more a destination area, and as noted above, that resort is not on a beach. So if your intention is to explore the island, or kick back with your toes in the sand, KBV is a better option. Bonus: If the weather is bad up north, head south. And vice versa, as appropriate. Starting in Lihue, you're already halfway to wherever you want to be.

Dave

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
What does "ocean view" mean at (Wyndham) Kauai Beach Villas?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It means it directly faces the ocean, in bldg. F, G, H (I would call it ocean front.)

This is a 3rd floor view from Bldg. G or H:

KauaiBeachVillas-ocean-front-patio.jpg

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It means it directly faces the ocean, in bldg. F, G, H (I would call it ocean front.)

This is a 3rd floor view from Bldg. G or H:

KauaiBeachVillas-ocean-front-patio.jpg

Oh that would be worth the points! The 1 bedroom is "garden view" and the "ocean view" is a 2 bedroom. More than we need, but as I said, I think the view would be worth the points. Thanks, Denise!

taffy19

Reaction score
Oh that would be worth the points! The 1 bedroom is "garden view" and the "ocean view" is a 2 bedroom. More than we need, but as I said, I think the view would be worth the points. Thanks, Denise!
A view makes all the difference in the world when you are on vacation, IMO. I would rather have a less fancy condo but with a beautiful ocean view than the other way around.

The extra points are worth it to have your coffee on the Lanai in the morning and Mai Tais and Pupus during sunset and listen to the surf as well.

I know that there are people to which a view doesn't matter one way or the other. It's OK when you plan to be out most of the day. That is one nice thing that you can use points and get what you want. You will enjoy it! :)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Definitely worth it to get the view. Garden View is "parking lot." Enjoy!

Dave

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Thanks folks, I did change the reservations!
Only downside is if you get into Building F on a first floor unit. The 2BR gives you a better chance of getting a better view, as you avoid getting one of the units at the end of the buildings.

LJT

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you actually get in the ocean there or is it too rough? We are deciding on locale for next year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you actually get in the ocean there or is it too rough? We are deciding on locale for next year.

It depends on the weather and the time of year.