• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Returned from NYC Pulse

Bogeygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had some DC points we had to use by year end and not many days so we booked 3 nights at the new Pulse destination in NYC. The property is in a great location - west 37th street between 5th and 6th so easy walking to a lot of locations.

Check in and out is like a hotel property vs a timeshare so 3pm and 12 noon vs 4pm and 10 am. Room was ready when we arrived around 1pm so that was a bonus. We booked a standard king bedroom and it was probably one of the smallest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in - especially the bathroom - super tiny with no room for anything. This property used to be the Strand hotel and we were told by the front desk staff that none of the rooms have been renovated yet - that won't happen until 2017.

Fire away with any questions you have.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thinking of staying there in mid December. How was the rooftop lounge? Did you get the Plat concierge breakfast. We'll be staying Sun-Mon so they should offer something. Some of the older hotels in the city have really small rooms and they remain so when a big chain takes over. The REN 57 is about the tiniest I've stayed in so far. We usually go to the Algonquin but that rooftop lounge looks too good to pass up.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently booked a 4 day stay for my Encore package for next July so will see.

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
Just got back from 2 days at NYC Pulse. Great location and staff...rooms are definitely small but equal to NYC standards and it is classified as a boutique hotel (we get spoiled by typical spacious MVCI layouts). Renovations to begin in Jan to replace bedding with "Marriott" beds, everything to be repainted and recarpeted, installation of newly designed furniture to accommodate built in mini refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker (right now only a minifridge); work will be done floor by floor and finished late spring.

Rooftop bar/lounge (20th floor) apparently a very popular place in NYC,,,on Fri/Sat nights lines of over 25 people to get in...owners and guests get immediate access...great view of empire state building. Did not try the restaurant but it was very busy on Sat night).

Of course the sales offices on the lower level have been completed but surprisingly not a lot of pressure to attend....owners are offered a $299 package for 4 days/3 nights to be used within a year.

We were there on a paid basis using code "2VC"...came to $203/night which is really cheap for NYC...it is a cat 8.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there on a paid basis using code "2VC"...came to $203/night which is really cheap for NYC...it is a cat 8.

Thanks for the tip. We just booked a night in the King Empire State view for $227. The best rate on Marriott website was $390 with the senior discount. I owe you a drink the bar if we ever meet up. Maybe two.:hi:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I'm staying at the JDub Essex House in NYC (received a super upgrade to a Central Park view suite) for a conference and was walking around town this evening and stalked out the new MVC Pulse location. Can't say I was wowed by its location. It's not terrible but seems a few blocks past what I would deem in the "pulse" of the city as compared to a Custom House in Boston as an example of what I would consider a "pulse" location. The street it's on has no Wow factor at all, just dreary at night. To me, this was a "settle" location to say they had one in NYC. Too bad. This was a miss IMHO.

That said, here's a nice view out my JW Marriott Essex House window to enjoy.
30089282713_2c0bf83ac0_z.jpg

Last edited:

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rooftop lounge is nice, but I prefer The Refinery 2 blocks north as a rooftop bar / restaurant. The Pulse Rooftop can be too 'club-E'. It seems to have its own following of folks that aren't staying over. The restaurant has a menu that is too fancy for my family, so I doubt we will ever try it. The staff is exceptionally good ! The rooms are small but comfortable. I am a big fan of the location. Equidistant from Penn Station and Grand Central. Bryant Park is an easy walk. Madison Square Park is about a 20 minute walk. 6th avenue bus is 1 block away. Several subway lines are nearby. If you drive in through the tunnel in Queens, it is literally on the cross street that takes you across manhattan. On weekends, there is free parking on the street. Of late, construction on the street has cut down the number of free parking spots on 37th, but I have done well on 38th as well on weekends. I use the Spot Hero App to get great deals on parking lots in the general area. I am pleased with the number of Destination Points it takes to stay here. In the first 14 months of its opening as The Pulse, I have stayed about 10 nights. We treat it like our apartment in the city. It has been like an answer to our prayers for the program.