• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just rescinded my purchase, now what's next?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Curious, what price did they offer to pay for your resale? What you paid for it?

The price they offered was what they sold it for (retail)... to the original buyer.
A significant sum to be sure, but it left an absurd amount to pay for a "new" TS.

I did my own upgrade by adding a unit at an affiliate for cost of transfer only.
Thanks to the TUG member who gave it away and the "Bargain Deals" forum.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
none of the new HGVC resorts (where HGVC is simply managing the sales and operations but another investor is paying for the development) are available for upgrade - even for direct purchases.

It is true that affiliates are different, but I am not sure this statement is universally true. I do know that within the Strand Capital Group (Anderson Ocean Club, Ocean 22 and Ocean Oak) you can upgrade.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
It is true that affiliates are different, but I am not sure this statement is universally true. I do know that within the Strand Capital Group (Anderson Ocean Club, Ocean 22 and Ocean Oak) you can upgrade.
As of two weeks ago, you couldn't upgrade into either of those. I saw in official HGVC documentation they showed me, which I have no reason to believe wasn't accurate. Things are a changing after the IPO.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
As of two weeks ago, you couldn't upgrade into either of those. I saw in official HGVC documentation they showed me, which I have no reason to believe wasn't accurate. Things are a changing after the IPO.

Thanks, I stand corrected then because my information was over a year ago. Wow, I personally think that will hurt direct sales (but that ain't my problem).

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, I stand corrected then because my information was over a year ago. Wow, I personally think that will hurt direct sales (but that ain't my problem).
They are still allowing upgrades into HGVC-developed properties (including KL Phase 3 as well as the never ending recycling of older resorts).

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Did this also even apply within the same affiliate resort?

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did this also even apply within the same affiliate resort?
I would assume not, but I don't know. The restriction was for recent developments (Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Washington DC, new Waikiki development), so mostly would impact people who own older developments.

keen1988

Reaction score
Of course, the sales-weasel is lying. Resales can get an upgrade option.
At an "owner's update," they offered to credit my resale-TS against a new one.
Of course the deal was crap: Lose a perfectly good TS to pay full-freight for another one.

There are reports that resale-owners are not often invited to "owner's updates" anymore.
No loss there, IMHO.

Ok....I'd be more careful then. The sales guy told me that if I add my parents as co-owners onto the deed, they will be able to share my HHonors Gold status(earned through hotel stay or credit card, not from elite). I searched around a little bit, but seems no one mentioned this at all.
Is this an known benefit? or just another dirty lie...

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe the Hilton Honors is restricted to the primary owner, but could be wrong.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
AFAIK... Co-owners do get a joint-membership in HHonors. Thus, DW and I share a single HHonors account number. HHonors allows joint membership only by HGVC owners.

However... What I've discovered is that HHonors bookings can made only in the name of the first or primary-member. If the booking is really for another co-owner, their name needs to be added as a "guest" so they can check-in. It's what I had to do when DW went off to visit a relate.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok....I'd be more careful then. The sales guy told me that if I add my parents as co-owners onto the deed, they will be able to share my HHonors Gold status(earned through hotel stay or credit card, not from elite). I searched around a little bit, but seems no one mentioned this at all.
Is this an known benefit? or just another dirty lie...
I don't know about that, but you can get a Hilton AMEX and add your parents as auth users and book them hotel stays if you want to. I have booked the hotels for both of my kids and they get the same benefits as I do when they check in - they are not associated with my HGVC account at all.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
AFAIK... Co-owners do get a joint-membership in HHonors. Thus, DW and I share a single HHonors account number. HHonors allows joint membership only by HGVC owners.

However... What I've discovered is that HHonors bookings can made only in the name of the first or primary-member. If the booking is really for another co-owner, their name needs to be added as a "guest" so they can check-in. It's what I had to do when DW went off to visit a relate.

One scenario this doesn't work with either way is corporate bookings, since my wife is required to book through her companies travel agency to get their corporate discount, therefore I couldn't book it for her. I'm guessing she could put my HHonors code in the rewards member # field (since my guess is their travel agent can put anything in that field whether it's valid or not), then the hotel would have to validate it, at which point that would see her name is on the account.