• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Just Joined Marriott Vacation Club - Was it a good choice?

What is the equivalent USD value of a DC point when booking travel?

• Total voters

GoldenVIKE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GRC Tahoe -5 Wk Ski
St Kitts -Week 52
Ocean Pointe -Silver
DC/AP points
Yes to this.

That's why we call it our roaming cottage.

We had house in MI, condo in Chicago and the timeshares. I would have to schedule out time for the condo in Chicago to make a point of using it. We called that our "Lake House". We sold it to simplify.

With the timeshares we figured we could meet up with family all around the world. The MF's generate lots of MR points that have been turned into hotel/miles packages. I manage the timeshares and have been trying to say it takes a fair amount of time. So many choices. So many tweaks to keep up with. Every time I'm away from TUG for a while I wonder what secrets I've missed. You find the oddest helpful hint buried in a thread.

In all the posts so far have you actually said what your wish list consists of?

Is this directed toward me? I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the question right but in terms of how we'll use this, it'll likely evolve over time which is why we value flexibility so much. But in the short run probably longer trips (perhaps even 2-3 weeks) where we can stay in a larger villa and invite friends or family to join for part of the trip. Mid-range likely some trips to Orlando (Disney), Colorado, etc, with the kids. Definitely will go to the Caribbean a good amount. Perhaps some shorter trips for golf. Curious about the Explorer stuff (are those generally good deals and worth it?) - and could definitely see us renting a Home for a family reunion or vow renewal type of excuse to bring people together. When the kids are in high school (in 15 years or so) then likely more foreign travel. We've already traveled a good amount around the world, but over time it'd be interesting to see if the Explorer and II offer good opportunities to cross some unique things off of the bucket list. Does anyone on here use the alternative options for points much? (Cruises, Explorer, Events, Homes, etc?) If so, any feedback?

GoldenVIKE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GRC Tahoe -5 Wk Ski
St Kitts -Week 52
Ocean Pointe -Silver
DC/AP points
Yes to this.

That's why we call it our roaming cottage.

We had house in MI, condo in Chicago and the timeshares. I would have to schedule out time for the condo in Chicago to make a point of using it. We called that our "Lake House". We sold it to simplify.

With the timeshares we figured we could meet up with family all around the world. The MF's generate lots of MR points that have been turned into hotel/miles packages. I manage the timeshares and have been trying to say it takes a fair amount of time. So many choices. So many tweaks to keep up with. Every time I'm away from TUG for a while I wonder what secrets I've missed. You find the oddest helpful hint buried in a thread.

In all the posts so far have you actually said what your wish list consists of?

Where was your condo in Chicago? Two relocations ago (but only 5 years ago!) we lived in a highrise in Old Town / Gold Coast and loved being 2 blocks from Lincoln Park, North Ave Beach, Wells Street, and a kazillion things to do. We're in the Chicago 'burbs now but will someday very possibly buy another condo in the city for weekends, and for when I'm working nutty hours at work (working downtown)

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this directed toward me? I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the question right but in terms of how we'll use this, it'll likely evolve over time which is why we value flexibility so much. But in the short run probably longer trips (perhaps even 2-3 weeks) where we can stay in a larger villa and invite friends or family to join for part of the trip. Mid-range likely some trips to Orlando (Disney), Colorado, etc, with the kids. Definitely will go to the Caribbean a good amount. Perhaps some shorter trips for golf. Curious about the Explorer stuff (are those generally good deals and worth it?) - and could definitely see us renting a Home for a family reunion or vow renewal type of excuse to bring people together. When the kids are in high school (in 15 years or so) then likely more foreign travel. We've already traveled a good amount around the world, but over time it'd be interesting to see if the Explorer and II offer good opportunities to cross some unique things off of the bucket list. Does anyone on here use the alternative options for points much? (Cruises, Explorer, Events, Homes, etc?) If so, any feedback?

No Explorer for us. Early on in the DC I read that the group Marriott used wasn't so great. Things may have improved.

It all sounds grand. Enjoy.

Add Hilton Head Island to your wishlist. If you don't get a whole house you can go for several units.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where was your condo in Chicago? Two relocations ago (but only 5 years ago!) we lived in a highrise in Old Town / Gold Coast and loved being 2 blocks from Lincoln Park, North Ave Beach, Wells Street, and a kazillion things to do. We're in the Chicago 'burbs now but will someday very possibly buy another condo in the city for weekends, and for when I'm working nutty hours at work (working downtown)

In the Chandler at Lake Shore East. Walking distance to Millennium Park and Lurie Garden. Patio faced the river and Navy Pier. Would walk or bike north to zoo and south to Planetarium.

In '77 we started out in Northville. Spent the summers biking the Forest Preserve.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest rescinding, doing more research on the resale market and other systems and decide what you really want before buying a timeshare. I came to this forum thinking o wanted to buy a HGVC week and Marriott week. I ended up buying a Marriott week, then worldmark and disney. All via resale. Sold Marriott and never bought HGVC. Now I own Disney and Worldmark. Two systems I never thought I wanted when I started my timeshare journey

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
And that is precisely my point about owning DC Points vs. just buying cheaper resale weeks or renting...if I could get the same booking and reservation experience, the same one-stop-shop source of potential bookings, and the same security that the reservation will be there when I check in, I would absolutely just buy resale weeks or rent from owners. But there is a chasm of difference between the DC Points booking experience and waiting for trades to come through, searching for owners with the dates and location I want, or having to trust that the owner I booked with did everything right and the reservation will be there when I check in. I'll gladly pay more to buy DC Points - at the best price I can - to avoid, whenever possible, the sub-optimal booking and reservation experience of the other options.

Yes, I know the accommodations I get with DC Points are the same as what I would get with resale week-based trades or owner rentals - but both Spirit and American can get me from Point A to Point B with a similar flight time...it's just the experience on American is better, and worth the price difference. IMHO, it's the same with DC Points vs. the cheaper options...it's not about where you are going, but how you get there.

I care more about the flight experience than the reservation experience. A convenient website or phone booking system, yadda yadda is not something I would pay a demonstrable premium for. If the reservation experience was markedly superior with one airline, but once I got to the airport, there was really no distinction,then I might be more drawn lower cost Spiritless. Or if I only cared about the destination and not the journey, then Spiritless it might be.

Ultimately, my mental calculus for the degree of risk and inconvenience I am comfortable with is positively correlated with the degree of premium between the superior option and an inferior option. To each his own. You have the dough, so drop it as you see fit. My best friend is exactly the same way so I completely got it.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree on renting. I hate to say it because I rent out more and more often but I don't like renting a unit for myself. I don't like feeling like I am not in control of my own reservation.

Agree also, though I did it for a three night add-on to a 10-night Disney Aulani trip a couple years ago because I would rather save $1800 off retail. Was a but stressful at a couple points, but for me $1800 was worth it. Now if the differential had only been $100, well...

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
SeaDoc was told by Marriott that employees were prohibited from participating in timeshare-related social media/message boards, so he bowed out a year or so ago, as I recall.
Initially Seadoc did not disclose that he was a Marriott salesperson but was strongly advocating for people to buy DC points, many times leaving out important facts (as salespeople tend to do.) After he was outed, he acknowledged his status, but then said Marriott banned him.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monastero
I still cannot fathom buyers still exist for retail timeshares from a developer. Fifty thousand dollars up front then several thousand plus per year in maintenance fees- the OP will have spent over $100,000 in a twenty year period for points that hold little to no value.
I don't see the comparison to buying jewelry at Tiffanys to buying a Marriott TS. Tiffany sells the finest diamonds, jewels, collectibles that will hold value. I'm not a jewelry afffectionado so I don't know percentages. Marriott TS are very nice but hardly in the luxury category of a Tiffanys. The OP may be disappointed in some of the units, depending on how recently they refurbished. The HHI place we had was on a seven year cycle for soft goods and an even longer stretch for tile, counters, etc. TS receive a lot of wear and tear, the units may look tired and dated depending on the refurb cycle. Once we paid an extra refurb assessment at the end of one year but we were so disappointed when we arrived in July. They had not finished the refurb and our unit was not updated.
Marriott landscaping, pools, outdoor areas are always well maintained, we had no issues there.

Why buy what you can rent. Someone upthread is going to HHI twice this year April and September. I spent two minutes online searching. I found a Saturday to Saturday Monarch unit that overlaps the Saturday and Sunday Heritage golf rounds. Asking price $1750. The week after the tournament numerous Marriott units at several resorts are available to rent at $1100-1300 per week. We have friends who go late March early April to golf and get Marriott two bedrooms for less than $1000 per week.
Numerous Marriott September weeks are available for rent in the $1200 to $1300 range. Families are back to school and prices drop.

Some posters quote rack rate hotel prices and compare to a TS. In the era of Priceline , Hotwire, Hotel tonight, a myriad of discount and points programs who in the world pays rack rates?
Someone mentioned Pleasant Hawaiian holidays, we have gotten tremendous package deals from them and other travel companies to see the world. When you book trip components separately you pay much more for air, car, hotel, meal packages, etc. Some travel companies package villas and condos with the other components.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
My two cents, if I may. As many of you know I purchased a few years ago on site and then rescinded after researching and coming across this site. I then wound up purchasing 3500 points on the resale market for approx. $6.00 per point including the junk fees (which were significantly less in 2013/14). I found that my 3500 points did not get me much as I'd be closed out from what worked for my family (we have 2 kids age 6 & 8 and basically are limited to traveling high peak (school recess) periods.

Nevertheless I do enjoy the MVCI experience and felt that adding another 1000 points would help. We went on a couple of tours and then purchased an encore package. At the recent encore tour I went in there with no intention of buying, but after the tour and looking at what I was offered, I went ahead with a purchase of a hybrid....2000 more points and a fixed week which can either be converted annually to 2000 more points, used as is, converted to MR points or deposited into II for non Marriott properties. This hybrid cost less than $24,000. I have no regrets doing it as I have been upgraded to MR gold lifetime, executive status, and essentially now have 7500 points at a price of $6.00 per point all in.

I know buying from marriottt is not for everybody but I have no regrets.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My two cents, if I may. As many of you know I purchased a few years ago on site and then rescinded after researching and coming across this site. I then wound up purchasing 3500 points on the resale market for approx. $6.00 per point including the junk fees (which were significantly less in 2013/14). I found that my 3500 points did not get me much as I'd be closed out from what worked for my family (we have 2 kids age 6 & 8 and basically are limited to traveling high peak (school recess) periods.

Nevertheless I do enjoy the MVCI experience and felt that adding another 1000 points would help. We went on a couple of tours and then purchased an encore package. At the recent encore tour I went in there with no intention of buying, but after the tour and looking at what I was offered, I went ahead with a purchase of a hybrid....2000 more points and a fixed week which can either be converted annually to 2000 more points, used as is, converted to MR points or deposited into II for non Marriott properties. This hybrid cost less than $24,000. I have no regrets doing it as I have been upgraded to MR gold lifetime, executive status, and essentially now have 7500 points at a price of $6.00 per point all in.

I know buying from marriottt is not for everybody but I have no regrets.
I am guessing you have MR Gold through your DC Points benefit level, provided you maintain Executive or Select level, as I have not heard of true Lifetime status being offered with Points purchase before?
Well worth having anyway.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I still cannot fathom buyers still exist for retail timeshares from a developer. Fifty thousand dollars up front then several thousand plus per year in maintenance fees- the OP will have spent over $100,000 in a twenty year period for points that hold little to no value. I don't see the comparison to buying jewelry at Tiffanys to buying a Marriott TS. Tiffany sells the finest diamonds, jewels, collectibles that will hold value. I'm not a jewelry afffectionado so I don't know percentages. Marriott TS are very nice but hardly in the luxury category of a Tiffanys. The OP may be disappointed in some of the units, depending on how recently they refurbished. The HHI place we had was on a seven year cycle for soft goods and an even longer stretch for tile, counters, etc. TS receive a lot of wear and tear, the units may look tired and dated depending on the refurb cycle. Once we paid an extra refurb assessment at the end of one year but we were so disappointed when we arrived in July. They had not finished the refurb and our unit was not updated.
Marriott landscaping, pools, outdoor areas are always well maintained, we had no issues there.

Why buy what you can rent. Someone upthread is going to HHI twice this year April and September. I spent two minutes online searching. I found a Saturday to Saturday Monarch unit that overlaps the Saturday and Sunday Heritage golf rounds. Asking price $1750. The week after the tournament numerous Marriott units at several resorts are available to rent at $1100-1300 per week. We have friends who go late March early April to golf and get Marriott two bedrooms for less than $1000 per week.
Numerous Marriott September weeks are available for rent in the $1200 to $1300 range. Families are back to school and prices drop.

Some posters quote rack rate hotel prices and compare to a TS. In the era of Priceline , Hotwire, Hotel tonight, a myriad of discount and points programs who in the world pays rack rates?
Someone mentioned Pleasant Hawaiian holidays, we have gotten tremendous package deals from them and other travel companies to see the world. When you book trip components separately you pay much more for air, car, hotel, meal packages, etc. Some travel companies package villas and condos with the other components.

I'm not sure I understand why "holding value" is important. A lot of things we buy every day don't hold value - cars, clothes, etc. Some people buy $20,000 cars, others buy $50,000 cars, but they all lose value over time. You have to look at timeshares as a consumable product, not an investment that holds value. And you have to do your financial analysis of a timeshare - as GoldenVIKE did - based on analyzing it as a consumable product, not an investment that holds value.

I am the person going to Hilton Head in April and September. Those Hilton Head rates you quote were "asking price" from private owners. As I've pointed out in numerous posts in this thread (and others have posted they feel the same way), some people are just not comfortable dealing directly with a private party. I've laid out the reasons in multiple posts, and that's just the way I feel. We want to control our own reservation and deal direct with a travel company rather than an individual from the internet. You obviously don't share that feeling and are willing to book from other owners to save some money. That's great that you're willing to do that. You'll be able to travel a lot cheaper than we will. We'll pay more, but we'll be able to have the control and flexibility that we want. I agree with what BocaBoy said earlier, "We must be careful not to project our own values on the population at large."

You asked, "Who in the world pays "rack" hotel rates?" It depends on what you consider "rack" rates. But if by rack rates you mean "who books on hotel websites like marriott.com or hilton.com, etc?" - well, a lot of people do, or they would not keep those systems. That's really the ONLY place (other than timeshare bookings) that WE ever book hotels - marriott.com, hilton.com, ihg.com, etc. Many of these hotel company sites offer discounted rates as well as "rack" rates, so I will often book the cheapest rate from these sites that does not require pre-payment or have restricted cancellation rights. (I usually look for the AAA rate.) I've generally found that the only way to beat the hotel sites' rates on other travel sites like orbitz.com, expedia.com, hotels.com, and even on priceline and hotwire, is to book the rates that require full pre-payment and/or no refunds. We never book those rates. I want to retain as much flexibility as possible.

Prior to owning timeshares, we used to use travel consolidators like Pleasant Hawaiian, American Airlines Vacations (back then it was USAir Vacations), GoGo Vacations, etc. but we've come to prefer the DIY approach because we can mix and match better - and can pick the airline, car company, hotel, etc that we want and not have to go with their pre-packaged options. DIY also gives us the ability to mix in FF miles or hotel loyalty points where they make sense.

We recognize there may be cheaper ways to travel, but the way we choose works for us - it gives us the control we want at a price we can afford. Our approach may not work for you, but it works for us. Again, to restate what that wise sage BocaBoy said, "We must be careful not to project our own values on the population at large."

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Fifty thousand dollars up front then several thousand plus per year in maintenance fees- the OP will have spent over $100,000 in a twenty year period for points that hold little to no value.

Actually, based on his numbers, and discounting inflation so we're looking at everything in constant dollars, over 20 years the OP will likely spend about $125,000. But that only equates to about $6,200 per year. With the almost 8000 points he will have, I think it will be fairly easy to squeeze over $6,200 of value out of his ownership - especially since the OP said he was probably not someone who would spend time sleuthing the internet for cheap rental deals from private owners.

Heck, the two weeks we're spending in Hilton Head this year would have cost us over $7,000, and the OP could book those same trips with 8000 points.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monastero
My stance is to rent rather than buy. I want all young people, including my millennial kids, to build their own wealth. I want the OP and all young families to vacation together and make memories.

Whether I rent from an owner or whether you own a Marriott TS - the end product is really the same. The TS unit I rented three years ago from a Waiohai owner was the same as the next door unit occupied by the "owner". I just paid much much less for the same product. Different procurement. I paid $2000 for the week and the "owner" shelled out huge amounts in upfront cost and yearly fees. When he tires of the TS he probably won't recover much of what he paid.

For us and other owners we met years ago the appeal wanes over time. Kids lose interest and frankly I did too. We wanted to show our kids more of the world.

Rent from an owner, the process is easy. I don't expect seasoned posters to start doing this but newbies need to know how easy it is. You exchange a few emails or phone calls, mail in a check, check with Marriott to make sure your name is on the reservation. This is the alternative to shelling out big bucks to own some points. Give it a try before you buy.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have started exchanging thru TUG. Other timeshares for our timeshares. So far this has worked out very well. We just came back from Florida Beach Resort in Ft Lauderdale. We exchange our Punta Gorda week in January for a February week in Ft Lauderdale. Both sides were pleased with this. Last summer we exchanged for a week in Maui for our week in Ireland. Do others have any exchange stories to share doing this with other members? We still use RCI and II but this works out more economically for us.
Silentg

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Well put and very true that renting is probably the most flexible option when most times you can rent for very little more than the MF, it doesn't make sense to buy as you would never come out ahead, especially when it comes to points. Even with the hybrid purchase at $7.50 a point or resale at say $5-6/point, it will take many many many trips (like 50-100x) to come out ahead buying points vs renting points. Current MF for points are $0.53 and renting points $0.50-60. At $0.50 you are paying less than owning the points. At $0.60 points, you still have to rent those points 100x (0.06) to break even with the resale point purchase. Add on top of that you never have to worry if you decide not to travel that year or wanted to travel more, you just rent more or less or none at all. There is never a worry about passing on the points or what happens if you pass away, what your estate will have to do to liquidate it. No commitment and a better deal.

I think it also needs to be said, even with thousands of points, it does not always guarantee you availability. You can be shut out of being able to book a reservation.

We are well aware that JiminNC has issues with renting and the lack of control, but his concerns and fears are not shared by the vast majority of people as rentals occur all day long. Is there a potential to get scammed ? Absolutely, but there are precautions you can take and in most cases, you are dealing with honest owners looking to rent out their units. You can't paint everyone with the same brush. There will be honest and dishonest people no matter what deal or , but I believe if you do your homework, the chances are quite low.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
My stance is to rent rather than buy.
That is a far different discussion than what you started with, namely, that you can not fathom anyone buying from a developer. And we could have the same discussion about renting versus buying one's primary residence. I know that if we had always rented we would have more wealth today than we do after nearly 40 years of home ownership. That doesn't always hold, depending on one's timing and the local market, but it often does. It is really a lifestyle choice and many people feel better when they own. Either approach is legitimate depending on the person.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I know that if we had always rented we would have more wealth today than we do after nearly 40 years of home ownership.
Would or wouldn't???

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I don't see the comparison to buying jewelry at Tiffanys to buying a Marriott TS. Tiffany sells the finest diamonds, jewels, collectibles that will hold value......Marriott TS are very nice but hardly in the luxury category of a Tiffanys.
The comparison is that Tiffany's sells jewelry for a lot more than its competitor would sell the same piece. Marriott will sell its product directly for more than the same product will sell for in the private resale market. People shop at Tiffany's for the service, the attention and the confidence that they enjoy. People buy timeshares directly from Marriott for the same reasons. And to your last point, although not really so relevant here, Tiffany's is the top of the jewelry store food chain, Marriott is the top of the timeshare food chain. I think it is a good comparison in the context of this thread.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Would or wouldn't???
We would be wealthier if we had just rented. We have spent a lot of money on nice houses but never enjoyed a fabulous real estate boom where we lived such as occurred in certain areas like California. As a recent example, we recently sold our condominium residence of the past ten years and netted a bit less than we paid for it. In the meantime, our monthly carrying costs were a lot more than rent. Does that mean I regret owning it? No, but in retrospect it was not objectively a great financial decision. There is more to a buy/rent decision than just the raw numbers.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We would. We have spent a lot of money on nice houses but never enjoyed a fabulous real estate bnoom where we lived like occurred in certain areas like California. As an example, we recently sold our residence of the past ten years and netted a bit less than we paid for it. Our monthly carrying costs were a lot more than rent. Does that mean I regret owning it? No, but it was not objectively a great financial decision.
Interesting. I would agree that over the past 10 years or so, your experience is not likely unusual, but over a 40 year span, I would have bet money your post was a typo.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Interesting. I would agree that over the past 10 years or so, your experience is not likely unusual, but over a 40 year span, I would have bet money your post was a typo.
Nope. Mortgages. High property taxes. Moving at the wrong time. Maintenance fees. Special assessments. Home repairs and redecorating. Having your equity tied up, etc. I am not saying we lost money, only that we would have spent less on a net basis by renting. My main point here is that buying is attractive even if the numbers don't always work out, and owning a timeshare versus renting involves some of the same considerations.

Bnov

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've truly enjoyed this thread... Thanks to all for the great contributions. This will be a great resource for people considering MVC purchases in the future.

For the OP, we bought a hybrid package almost five years ago. We've had fantastic experiences with family members and friends at many great resorts in the Marriott system. I've kept a spreadsheet with our costs for ownership and the equivalent value of MVC stays when booking at the same time for the same type of villa. The total value of our stays surpassed the total cost of ownership in the past year. Your experience may differ. We tend to travel off season, so we can get more out of our points than someone tied to high season rentals. More importantly, we feel we have had fantastic vacation experiences because of the quality of the resorts, the staff, and the locations that we've shared as a couple and with our loved ones.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My stance is to rent rather than buy. I want all young people, including my millennial kids, to build their own wealth. I want the OP and all young families to vacation together and make memories.

Whether I rent from an owner or whether you own a Marriott TS - the end product is really the same. The TS unit I rented three years ago from a Waiohai owner was the same as the next door unit occupied by the "owner". I just paid much much less for the same product. Different procurement. I paid $2000 for the week and the "owner" shelled out huge amounts in upfront cost and yearly fees. When he tires of the TS he probably won't recover much of what he paid.

For us and other owners we met years ago the appeal wanes over time. Kids lose interest and frankly I did too. We wanted to show our kids more of the world.

Rent from an owner, the process is easy. I don't expect seasoned posters to start doing this but newbies need to know how easy it is. You exchange a few emails or phone calls, mail in a check, check with Marriott to make sure your name is on the reservation. This is the alternative to shelling out big bucks to own some points. Give it a try before you buy.

The only issue I take with what you are arguing are the blanket statements. I am 100% in agreement that the typical buyer who goes to a developer presentation and buys on the spot should rescind and study their alternatives in more depth. But what we're talking about here is the OP - GoldenVIKE - who clearly did his homework and appears to be able to afford what he has decided to do. In that case, I find his decision perfectly fine because it was an informed business decision based on his priorities and what he could afford. His decision may not be right for you, but after much study and consideration, he thinks it's right for him. Given the goals he laid out and the fact that he seemed to have similar concerns as I do about private owner transactions, I think that decision is probably the right one for him, as ours was for us. It may not be the right call for you, since you are obviously very comfortable with private transactions. But as Quadmaniac just said in post #191, "You can't paint everyone with the same brush."

When I give advice on the rent vs. buy decision here on TUG, I always preface my advice by saying if you are a person that is comfortable with owner rental transactions, then buying is probably never a good idea. If you're a bargain hunter willing to do what it takes to get a bargain, then you should never, ever think about buying points, maybe not even a resale timeshare week. There are better ways to find the ultimate low price vacation. At the same time, I will always point out the potential pitfalls of the owner rental approach, if for no other reason than to provide the newbie with a counter-point or alternative perspective than the "conventional" wisdom here on TUG, but I will always say that in the end, it really depends on what your priorities are, what you can afford, and where your comfort zone is. One size definitely does not fit all.

So I'm just reacting to the broad brush statements that say "Always rent from an owner" and to do otherwise means you're doing it wrong. If there is any one thing that bugs me about the advice given on TUG it is that point - a lack of recognition that not all newbies are uninformed and that what works for YOU works for ME. Also, remember getting the absolute lowest price is not the top priority for everyone. For some, flexibility, choices, and control in how the reservation is selected and booked are important as well. While you are correct the accommodations the renter and the "owner next door" have are the same, the process they went through to get that accommodation was different with respect to the factors I mentioned - flexibility, control, choice, etc.

Well put and very true that renting is probably the most flexible option when most times you can rent for very little more than the MF, it doesn't make sense to buy as you would never come out ahead, especially when it comes to points. Even with the hybrid purchase at $7.50 a point or resale at say $5-6/point, it will take many many many trips (like 50-100x) to come out ahead buying points vs renting points. Current MF for points are $0.53 and renting points $0.50-60. At $0.50 you are paying less than owning the points. At $0.60 points, you still have to rent those points 100x (0.06) to break even with the resale point purchase. Add on top of that you never have to worry if you decide not to travel that year or wanted to travel more, you just rent more or less or none at all. There is never a worry about passing on the points or what happens if you pass away, what your estate will have to do to liquidate it. No commitment and a better deal.

I think it also needs to be said, even with thousands of points, it does not always guarantee you availability. You can be shut out of being able to book a reservation.

I agree with your comments as it relates to renting points. Frankly, the only reason we will ever seriously consider an additional points purchase beyond our current ownership (3375 Trust + Enrolled Points), is to get to Executive status so we can take advantage of the ability to book short stays at 12 or 13 months out instead of 10 months. I don't have the same concern about point rentals as I do week rentals because as soon as the point rental transaction is finalized, those are MY points and I can use them to book accommodations just like my owned points and I still control my reservations.

We are well aware that JiminNC has issues with renting and the lack of control, but his concerns and fears are not shared by the vast majority of people as rentals occur all day long. Is there a potential to get scammed ? Absolutely, but there are precautions you can take and in most cases, you are dealing with honest owners looking to rent out their units. You can't paint everyone with the same brush. There will be honest and dishonest people no matter what deal or , but I believe if you do your homework, the chances are quite low.

I agree that private rental transactions are popular with most TUGgers and that I am in the minority here (but even in this thread, there were several TUGgers who expressed the same reluctance that I have), but I'm not sure that I agree that the "vast majority of people" do it that way. I have no hard data to support my belief, but I would almost be willing to bet that the total number of transactions done on sites like VRBO, HomeAway, Redweek, AirBNB, and other direct owner-to-renter sites pales in comparison to the number of more traditional bookings made on sites like marriott.com, hilton.com, orbitz.com, expedia.com, etc. In general, I think people are just more comfortable dealing with a company or a professional corporate booking site. No prepayment required; liberal cancellation privileges, etc.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I just thought off another personal example that illustrates why some of us prefer to do business with companies that are in a particular business rather than a person-to-person transaction. A couple of years ago we bought our daughter a used car when she turned 16 and got her drivers license. We could have saved some money on a very similar car of the same model being sold by a private party, but I elected to buy one that cost a bit more from the used car department at a major new car dealer about an hour-and-a-half from where we live. About a month after we brought the car home, we noticed it was burning oil and the oil light started to come on. To make a long story short, we took it to a local dealer close to home and they found a major engine problem that required an engine replacement. It was not something that would have ever showed up in a pre-purchase inspection by the selling dealer. Our local shop had to tear into the engine before they found the problem. Even though there was no "certified used car" warranty with the car, we told the selling dealer what had happened, and they wound up helping us out a good bit on the cost of the new engine. They stood behind the product they sold and had the resources to do so. Had we bought from a private party we would have been on our own.

So that's a reason I prefer dealing with companies with resources in almost everything I do - if something goes wrong they have the resources to stand behind what they sell. A private renter may not have a way to "make it right" if they made an honest mistake that caused our reservation not to be there when we check in.