• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Got The Royal Screw From Rci

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I never understood why there really needed to be 'exchange companies' anyway...You own the week, there are HUNDREDS of other owners on this forum and other forums...It's not hard to call your resort and say 'put this guys name down as the guest' Why would you pay hundreds of dollars to do something you can just do with a forum post or a PM?
Surely you jest.

If I have a 2BR Las Vegas unit for Christmas and I'm looking for a 2BR unit in the Manhattan Club for week 28, what are the odds that I would find someone who has that week who would be interested in what I have?

That's where the exchange companies provide value. You don't have to find an exact match. You give a week that ANYBODY else will use. You use a week ANYBODY else put into the exchange company. You're almost NEVER going to match up on both ends of the transaction.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
When did you add that website link to your signature?

I just built the forum last night...Beyond looking for ways to get around forum security after getting banned...I've never really examined the in's and out's of forums before....it's mostly setup as an intellectual exercise, that's why it just a sub-directory of an old domain, not on its own domain

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a great number when its the amazing members of TUG! We only own the best of the best, so odds are, if you want to stay somewhere nice, you can find someone that owns it on the TUG Exchange section!

the other downside is that TUGgers always seem to expect to trade up, and it's hard for both sides of an exchange to trade up.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
the other downside is that TUGgers always seem to expect to trade up, and it's hard for both sides of an exchange to trade up.
Ain't that the truth. On another thread, a poster is distraught his 1 bedroom in Vegas doesn't trade one-on-one with a 2 bedroom Kona resort. I have unrealistic expectations myself, so I cannot criticize.

I know what weeks are best in the current system, and I know what no longer works. You have to adjust your portfolio constantly. The problem with buying what works great today is it may not work great tomorrow. Don't pay a lot of cash to adjust for today's trading power requirements, or you might be throwing money away. The eBay bidding on some of the good RCI traders has gotten out of control. I hope trading power continues to be worth the $2K+ these people are paying.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just built the forum last night...Beyond looking for ways to get around forum security after getting banned...I've never really examined the in's and out's of forums before....it's mostly setup as an intellectual exercise, that's why it just a sub-directory of an old domain, not on its own domain

Ha Ha - I can't get my head around you getting banned anywhere Ride.

I have a week 51-2013 reserved in Hawaii, RCI claims they will give me 55 TPU for it.

I plan to be able to get three weeks (regular old shoulder weeks anyway) with those 55 TPU.

Can your "Exchange Group" offer a three for one?

RachelR

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are one and the same. The term ''points lite'' was coined before we knew what RCI would officially call it. A few of us still use it because it is more descriptive.

Thank you that's what I'd gathered.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha - I can't get my head around you getting banned anywhere Ride.

I have a week 51-2013 reserved in Hawaii, RCI claims they will give me 55 TPU for it.

I plan to be able to get three weeks (regular old shoulder weeks anyway) with those 55 TPU.

Can your "Exchange Group" offer a three for one?

Ah but my "exchange group" won't cost you a dime. How much do you pay rci for those three weeks? 89+189+189+189=$654. You could buy 600+ weeks on ebay for that cost

And who knows, maybe someone in need of a Hawaii week will offer you 2 FREE weeks for your one Hawaii week!

Really I didn't plan on doing anything with the forum there was just nothing good on tv last night...But heck, if i can get a few hundred subscribers with a few thousand weeks between them(yah i know thats NOT going to happen) maybe i could make it a viable community...Right now i'm the only member...So even though i considered installing a chat room, it would be strange chatting with myself

Last edited:

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a great number when its the amazing members of TUG! We only own the best of the best, so odds are, if you want to stay somewhere nice, you can find someone that owns it on the TUG Exchange section!

The potential exchange owner has to have the exact resort/date you want and be willing to exchange it for something you own. With an exchange company rarelly (if ever) does the person who's week I exchanged for exchange for the week I deposited. To exchange among owners requires perfect matches for both owners. Not going to happen often if ever.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth. On another thread, a poster is distraught his 1 bedroom in Vegas doesn't trade one-on-one with a 2 bedroom Kona resort. I have unrealistic expectations myself, so I cannot criticize.

I know what weeks are best in the current system, and I know what no longer works. You have to adjust your portfolio constantly. The problem with buying what works great today is it may not work great tomorrow. Don't pay a lot of cash to adjust for today's trading power requirements, or you might be throwing money away. The eBay bidding on some of the good RCI traders has gotten out of control. I hope trading power continues to be worth the $2K+ these people are paying.

I think that is, from an individual perspective, the worst thing about the new RCI. The stability is gone. Things used to change gradually and they made sense, like the first decline of SA trading power as more Americans bought to trade there from its original stellar power. However, the more arbitrary thumb on the scales things that happen these days are a horse of a different color. The more recent change in trading power for SA owners who did not live in SA from decent to crappy while the trading power of those who lived in SA did not change, and the supply / demand situation showed no sign of changing, illustrated the arbitrariness of the new RCI.

Why constantly be buying different timeshares to keep up with what RCI is doing at the moment? The mantra on TUG for years has been to buy where you want to vacation. If where you want to vacation is not treated fairly by RCI on trading power, then you have a problem. When exchanging becomes a shell game and RCI is offering cheap rentals, it discourages owning the trade, and that will in the end cause problems for our HOA's as the exchangers bail out of ownership, which is already happening.

INHO, the next sea change at RCI will be when they merge Points and Points Lite. It just does not make sense that they will keep two different points systems around for very long when it is more efficient to run one. I am guessing we are probably two to five years away from that, but there might be some less major shifts between now and then.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG has an area where people can post what they have and what they are looking for. We just recently did a direct trade with another TUG member. I needed a last minute 2 bedroom Easter week in Orlando and they were willing to exchange it for one of my July Ocean City, MD 1 bedrooms. Not sure who got the "better" deal, but we both got something that we wanted/needed. Our exchange part went well and I hope that the same goes for her side of the exchange in July.

Some issues that worried me were that at one point after everything was said and done, it looked like we may have had to cancel. We didn't address this up front. Luckily we didn't have to cancel, but what if she has to cancel. At this point, it is too late to get full value if I deposit it. I may be able to rent it, but probably not for what I could have originally.

So while, so far it has been an overall good experience, I doubt I will be doing it again. Although a good friend of ours just recently purchased from the developer ownership at Atlantis. She knows how I strongly I feel about resale and it was way too late for rescinding. So I just smiled and said "good, now I have a way to get into Atlantis, since I don't have starwood priority".

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The potential exchange owner has to have the exact resort/date you want and be willing to exchange it for something you own. With an exchange company rarelly (if ever) does the person who's week I exchanged for exchange for the week I deposited. To exchange among owners requires perfect matches for both owners. Not going to happen often if ever.

There are at least two of these exchange boards that facilitate bilateral trades of this nature. Timex ( www.timex.to ) has been around longest, and Timeshare Juice is much more recent. I tried Timex when it first came out without much luck.

Hmm! Just clicked on Timex and it is dead. Some other business has that address now.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think 3 and even 4 way owner 2 owner exchanges are very possible with a forum type setup...The open discussions will help everything work out....Think about the 'cross talk' that goes on within threads...It would be just as easy to do a cross exchange

As for the cancellations mentioned by SOS, that could be an issue....if *I* was doing an owner 2 owner exchange i'd specify that once the exchange was made, there was a 'no return' 'no cancellation' policy

But heck, i'm not really taking this seriously, i haven't even written out a 'mission statement', i got up to 'things should be free' you guys are jumping the gun here

Last edited:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think 3 and even 4 way owner 2 owner exchanges are very possible with a forum type setup...The open discussions will help everything work out....Think about the 'cross talk' that goes on within threads...It would be just as easy to do a cross exchange

As for the cancellations mentioned by SOS, that could be an issue....if *I* was doing an owner 2 owner exchange i'd specify that once the exchange was made, there was a 'no return' 'no cancellation' policy

But heck, i'm not really taking this seriously, i haven't even written out a 'mission statement', i got up to 'things should be free' you guys are jumping the gun here

I think with floating weeks and points, there is a possiblilty of something happening. Fixed weeks are difficult, depending on how many people join. As for me, II has done well with the Starwood preference and I have boatloads of TPU's, so why fix what ain't broke???

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think with floating weeks and points, there is a possiblilty of something happening. Fixed weeks are difficult, depending on how many people join. As for me, II has done well with the Starwood preference and I have boatloads of TPU's, so why fix what ain't broke???

Yup, thats the issue, alot of people would have to join...and to be honest....they won't...but atleast i get to play with website design a little