• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

just a lot of questions?? [Wyndham]

che5951

Reaction score
ok let me start...at one of Wyndham resorts, me and my wife went...and they gave us the 2 hour pitch about buying......it looked very nice i have to say..but
unfortunately the sales person did not speak english very well, and every time i had a question ke sort of mummbled......he offered me 1br in fortlauderdale with 84000 points for $10000 or $17000 for a 2br with 154 points....but for the next 3 years we would get 300000 points...we just went to italy and spent around 9grand...so i thought if spent 10 with him now i could go to europe in the next 3 years and would be ahead even if i dont ever use it again......but he could not tell me how much points would and airline ticket cost for example....been reading a lot here..and it seems i could get some ts even for free with points...but not the extra 300000 points........is this a good deal??
is hard to get the lingo....like ts..red week..and the point exchange is confusing
....thanks

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
ok let me start...at one of Wyndham resorts, me and my wife went...and they gave us the 2 hour pitch about buying......it looked very nice i have to say..but
unfortunately the sales person did not speak english very well, and every time i had a question ke sort of mummbled......he offered me 1br in fortlauderdale with 84000 points for $10000 or $17000 for a 2br with 154 points....but for the next 3 years we would get 300000 points...we just went to italy and spent around 9grand...so i thought if spent 10 with him now i could go to europe in the next 3 years and would be ahead even if i dont ever use it again......but he could not tell me how much points would and airline ticket cost for example....been reading a lot here..and it seems i could get some ts even for free with points...but not the extra 300000 points........is this a good deal??
is hard to get the lingo....like ts..red week..and the point exchange is confusing
....thanks

That is not a good deal at all. Wyndham points are basically free on eBay, and some are absolutely free. If you think you can use Wyndham points to get to Europe, that's just not likely to work. We own quite a few Wyndham points, and when our daughter went to Europe, she rented hotels. She knows Wyndham very well and didn't even consider it for going to Europe. I don't know what that salesman tried to tell you.

You can buy 300K Wyndham points on eBay and pay about $200 for it, all in. Seriously. And you can buy at a stable resort with low fees. It's not hard to buy something on eBay, and you will not have any benefits at all buying from Wyndham over an eBay purchase. Believe me, I have no idea why anyone would buy Wyndham points in a smaller amount where even buying from the developer provides no additional benefits. Resale value of that points package you are considering is probably below ZERO.

Welcome to TUG and do stick around for great advice.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your post isn't very clear. Did you buy? When? If so, rescind. Now. TUGgers will help you very happily to understand what- if anything- you should think about buying. But to buy from someone (especially a developer's commissioned salesperson) when you don't understand what you are buying is a HUGE mistake.

It is my understanding that Wyndham doesn't have a lot of presence in Europe, so that may not be the best system for you anyway.

No offense, but to make your posts a little more readable, try using a single period at the end of a sentence, and (...) if you want to link thoughts.

Jim Ricks

Luvstotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it's not a good deal, because you don't understand how it works. For one thing, let's say you DO go there for the next three years, and never use it again. You'll still be billed every year after that, as long as you own it, for the maintenance fees. Do you know how much they are? You'll be paying them every year, as long as you own it, going there or not. And they usually increase.

I don't own points, so I can't help you there, but I do understand "red weeks". Those are the weeks that have the highest demand. For a beach resort, red weeks would be summer. For a resort in a ski area, red weeks are during ski season, etc.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
......but he could not tell me how much points would and airline ticket cost for example....been reading a lot here..and it seems i could get some ts even for free with points...but not the extra 300000 points........is this a good deal??
....thanks
Hello and welcome to TUG. Bless your lucky stars you found this site now!

My first advice would be to turn around and don't look back at that "deal" until you spend some time reading and learning about how timeshares work. Then you can look back and know for sure if that was a good offer or not and what your family vacation needs are and if you should even buy into timeshare ownership. The deal you were offered with the free 300K points will still be there in a year please believe me. Wyndham has been offering a free temporary upgrade to VIP for years now and I doubt they will stop soon.

Just stop and think now what other item you would plunk down $10K for without knowing exactly how it works and what it's worth? Many of us here have fallen into the slick sales traps and spent our sweat money on developer points only to see now what they are really worth. We kick ourselves and determine to learn how to best use what we have. You get to learn how to use it without all the kicking of self... so come on and have fun.

If you want to learn the Wydham system and know all there is about it, start reading here http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128302 and follow the posts in the Wyndham section of TUG. It won't take too long before you will know what a great deal is and what you should have no regrets letting go.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that Wyndham doesn't have a lot of presence in Europe, so that may not be the best system for you anyway.

I suspect the sales person was selling the conversion of Wyndham Plus points to buy plane tickets. It's a very expensive plane ticket obtained that way. Exchanging into RCI (which may also have been proposed) is also an expensive proposition when you consider the cost of maintenance fees + the exchange fees. The only sensible use of Wyndham points is to stay in Wyndham vacation resort properties. The OP (original poster) needs to study and see for him/herself this truth to see the half truths being told by sales to manipulate a buying decision. Study the Wyndham Members Directory http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/memberdirectory11-12/ They make it difficult to actually see how much the fees are or how many points it takes to do what you are thinking about.

You need to think of points as money. For example a given resort may have fees of $4.75/K points. That means if you own 300K points, you pay annual fees of $4.75x300= $1425. If you want to do something like buy a ticket to Medieval Times using points it costs 24K points for one ticket. That converts to $4.75x24=$114 for one ticket. If your resort maintenance fees are higher you would pay even more. So you can use your points to do things other than resorts, but is it a good deal? On the Medieval Times Orlando web site now they are offering a deal code for 3 adult tickets for $114. I think this makes my point. It's the same kind of exchange for renting cars, buying plane tickets and other non-Wyndham resort uses.

I hope I've also shown you why it's wise (if you buy) to find a resort you like and can use with lower maintenance fees.

che5951

Reaction score
thanks to everyone, no i did not buy, only because i asked sales person if i could go to my car and get the ipad to research while he could maybe help other people, but i will start reading more and more, my kids a getting older and we want to have a couple more vacations with them, and maybe TS is the way to go,

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there are annual dues, too. They happen annually for the rest of your life. Also, if you decide to exchange to a resort that isn't Wydham, you have to pay an exchange fee.