• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jump in resale prices

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I just bought a fixed week, can you help me determine my cost?

I paid $25.00

MF's are $755 and some change due 2018

I received a $500.00 gift card.

First use is 2017-they put me on as a guest.

Those costs they are referencing are for points contracts, not fixed week. From the sounds of things, you got the week for nothing, and you can expect to pay about $1200 when you want to get rid of it.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
the way I would calculate this is

+25
|_____________

the seller received negative $1230 to get rid of his timeshare

to answer your question.... It didnt cost you anything for the ownership with an included a free vacation. You didnt have an expense, you had an income. You should declare the $1230 as income on your tax return next year

happyhopian

Reaction score
t
Great Smokies was depressed before the fires, just like previously overpriced Bonnet Creek.

That is the beauty of points-based systems. Wyndham Great Smokies was miles away from the fires and not affected, but contracts there can be purchased at a deep discount, used there for ARP or anywhere within Club Wyndham at 10 months for relatively low maintenance fees.

The relatively low maintenance fees at Great Smokies does little to support the resale price, at this point in time. There were no fires at Bonnet Creek, but prices there declined, despite relatively low maintenance fees and the cachet of Disney.

I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. Smokies I bid on last year twice went for nearly $5. Missed a big one in December for 1m points selling for about $3 but I wrote it off to the fires. I passed on some since thinking that the prices were down due to the disruption in the area. I agree with you that points are points in 10 months which is why I posted that AND I think (or hope) that everyone here understands that, but there are thousands of folks who do not understand that.

As to BC I just don't see decreases or great flux there. It's been very solid in pricing with some growth. In 2010 I bought 708k @ Bonnet for ~$1800 including closing cost. Last night one just sold @775k for ~$3200 incl CC. The last year's pricing there averages about $4.50/1k higher in the summer, lowest in november. Sometimes a contract will go for $6 but its usually the smaller ones with CC paid for. I would say the market there is stable but I could be wrong.

I'll do some more watching on this property. Thanks for the tip.

happyhopian

Reaction score
Interesting observation Bonnet Creek listings. Here are the last few annual UY - BC listings over 250k points in the preceding 45 days which sold (all have CC included in the number following auction). Tossing out the highest and lowest they are running around $4/1k which was last year's average too. MF went up this year. I personally think Access is a better use investment but resale of any contract on disney property will always be strong for future exit strategy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WYNDHAM-BON...068744?hash=item2a7d22f288:g:-nsAAOSwr~lYnNux $3,350 $4.32/1k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WYNDHAM-BON...991273?hash=item2a7cc63669:g:-nsAAOSwr~lYnNux $1,800 $2.58

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WYNDHAM-BON...033662?hash=item2a7ade93fe:g:-nsAAOSwr~lYnNux $1,325 $5.11

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wyndham-Poi...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 $2,260 $5.47

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wyndham-Poi...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 $4,795 $9.59 <<<---- stupid buyer FEBRUARY 13th

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-000-Clu...388761?hash=item58eaadec19:g:tjoAAOSw5cNYRbk4 $750 $1.5 <<<----smartest buyer JANUARY 8th

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
The cost of Wyndham timeshare contracts on ebay can vary by ARP desirability of the property, points in the contract, naiveté of the buyer, and the maintenance fee per 1000 points. The effects of the first three can vary considerably between contracts, but the fourth tends to follow a price versus mf/1000 points demand curve.

I have created a chart that shows the demand curve for point contracts based upon the maintenance fee per 1000 points. It is not meant to be an estimate of what the actual price will be, but instead just to show the concept. For low MF/1000 points contracts, the price can be high. For high MF/1000 points contracts the price can be low, even to the point where the seller must pay the buy to take the contract.

As the years go by, and maintenance fees increase, the demand curve shifts to the right. Three years ago, I wouldn't look at a contract where the MF/1000 points was over $5.00. Today, when I find one, the price shoots up into the thousands. When you find a sale for $1, I'll bet that the MF/1000 points is at least $7.00.

Once again, the chart is only meant to illustrate a concept.
upload_2017-3-19_19-38-7.png

Jim

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not for nothing, but this may be one of the coolest charts I've ever seen posted on Tug.

The cost of Wyndham timeshare contracts on ebay can vary by ARP desirability of the property, points in the contract, naiveté of the buyer, and the maintenance fee per 1000 points. The effects of the first three can vary considerably between contracts, but the fourth tends to follow a price versus mf/1000 points demand curve.

I have created a chart that shows the demand curve for point contracts based upon the maintenance fee per 1000 points. It is not meant to be an estimate of what the actual price will be, but instead just to show the concept. For low MF/1000 points contracts, the price can be high. For high MF/1000 points contracts the price can be low, even to the point where the seller must pay the buy to take the contract.

As the years go by, and maintenance fees increase, the demand curve shifts to the right. Three years ago, I wouldn't look at a contract where the MF/1000 points was over $5.00. Today, when I find one, the price shoots up into the thousands. When you find a sale for $1, I'll bet that the MF/1000 points is at least $7.00.

Once again, the chart is only meant to illustrate a concept.
View attachment 3493

Jim

Reactions: GT1

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim has painted us a picture to tell us what he and others have been saying for years and that is, there is an inverse relationship between prices and maintenance fees but there is more to it than that.

There is also (in my opinion) a relationship between vacation rental rates, maintenance fees and price. If fees are less than rentals the timeshare will have value and if fees are more than rentals the timeshare won't have value. How much positive or negative value depends on how great the difference is

I think I missed that day in math class when I should have learned how to graph a third variable.

Jim?

As a practical matter I trust my gut. I do very little analysis. Im not looking for the best price. I'm looking for value, if something will further my goals, I'll buy it with almost no regard for price.

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
Not realizing it, Ron put out a challenge to view timeshare resale prices 3-dimensionally by 1) the maintenance fee/1000 points, plus 2) the value receive from rental returns. I had only alluded to this in my previous submission where I said that ARP was one consideration on resale prices, where I was thinking of the use of points for rentals.

When I tried to put the 3D idea into one chart, it got way too congested, so I am putting forth 4 charts. The first is one where the owner/renter has great properties that can get very high rental prices such as Mardi Gras week. The second is what large owner/renters, as well as Wyndham get for the use of points. The third represents the small time owner/renter. The fourth is the use of the points by regular owners for their own reservations.

In the four charts there are lines coming from 1) rental prices/1000 points $15, $11, $8, and $6 respectively, and 2) maintenance fees/1000 points, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, and $9. Lines from these two indicators meet and then point towards an estimated resale price for the given owner type, rental price, and maintenance fee combination.

I hope that the images are not too small to be seen, and actually make some sense. As Ron indicated, the resale prices will be much higher if the buyer has some revenue generating use for the points. A normal owner should not be spending big bucks on a resale contract, unless it has ARP value.
upload_2017-3-23_22-45-10.png

upload_2017-3-23_22-45-59.png

upload_2017-3-23_22-46-52.png

upload_2017-3-23_22-47-53.png

upload_2017-3-23_22-48-39.png

Jim

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-23_0-11-12.png
    upload_2017-3-23_0-11-12.png
    456.7 KB · Views: 72
  • upload_2017-3-23_0-12-3.png
    upload_2017-3-23_0-12-3.png
    456.7 KB · Views: 73

metal3240

Reaction score
Great Smokies is depressed due to the fires there. I've passed on several good opportunities there but for someone looking for 10 month points it would be an opportunity.

Having started this thread let me jump back in on two points - cost comparisons (apples to apples) and missing points.

Cost comparisons should ALWAYS include the closing cost. I have a spreadsheet I've used for several years detailing every ebay ad I've ever recorded. It has points, auction price, closing costs, transfer fee and published maint fees. Price, transfer and closing are added together and divided against the points, AND then divided by 1,000 to get a base cost per 1,000.

IMPORTANT THAT one MUST include closing/transfer fees to get an actual cost.

Yes a 200k contract looks great at $400 but when you add in $799 in t&c that $1,200 isn't such a great price anymore. I've been tracking these for over 3 years on a weekly basis. I would strongly suggest including t&c or your missing the whole point of estimating. This is why I have no problem walking away from contracts. I know what they sell for and I walk when they get higher than the 12 month average.

As to missing points. I had never experienced this until lately and I ran upon two different instances. I walked on both.

1. Seller listed 700k points. When the auction closed I asked for the Estoppel (always do this before transfering funds regardless of what seller says or demands).. This showed that there were zero points for 2017. Knowing that current transfers are taking about 4 months on cwa, I knew that I could be paying 6 months of fees for no points. The seller kept replying - "well you can use points from 2018" but I could never get them to agree that I would be borrowing what I should own on both years. In the end we all agreed it was just a cost of purchase. I recalculated the cost based on the maint fees paind for no points and it came out at $9.50/1000. I walked obviously.

2. Seller listed 430k points but I was to take over maint fee immediately upon the auction close by prepaying maint fees. This was not disclosed - though it did say buyer would be responsible it did not say upon auction close (until I got the purchase agreement). There were points on the 2017 year available and they argued that I would only be paying for what was going to be mine anyway. I recalculated and my great $3.5/1000 CWA went up another $2/1000. I walked and here's why. There are too many contracts in which the seller covers the maint fees until closing and in fact this is what Wyndham requires. The most important factor here - time. Requiring the seller to pay maint fees until closing ensures a speedy transaction. What I didn't say is that I did this once before when it made sense (and when Wyndham was running about 2 months on cwa transfers). Unfortunately the seller took THREE MONTHS to get the documents to Wyndham. Guess who paid :)

To that point. The last contract I purchased was 546 CWA for $2.65/1000. It has all points from 2016 renewing in March/17 and all for 2017. Seller paid closing, transfer and maint. When I signed the purchase agreement I asked the seller to have the remaining 2016 points transferred to rci - and then to MY rci, before they expired. This was done and completed in less than 2 days. As a matter of fact the wholesaler just sent me their log in information and I did it myself. The contract hasn't finished transferring yet, but when it does I will have all of the 2017 points having only paid 9-10 months of fees PLUS 546 into RCI at no cost to me. AND the seller because of a problem with their documents took a full month to get the documents to Wyndham -- guess who had to pay that extra month of maint fees.

I share this because I want everyone to be a winner. There are LOTS of options. Wyndham contracts will continue to be sold. People will continue to get out and while I know that ovation offers many another alternative, everyone wants to get SOMETHING for their asset, even if its only $1,000 cash in their pocket. That is better than nothing to many. Ovation has reduced the inventory, but not by much in my opinion. Smart buyers can still get below $5/1000 on CWA and if you search hard you can get below $3 but that is hard to find. Just watch the fees - that is critical and blows the whole deal because some sellers place with no cost and get a higher sales price but some list with fees and get a lower sales price...this has to be calculated along with when the points convert, whats available and who's paying maint fee until closing.

Good luck shopping ;)

Nice info. Bought two resales on ebay last night for 1st time. Wanted to see if I did a good deal. Am currently Wyndham owner that has CWA with 274,000 points. I won two resale auctions last night on ebay. Both for 105,000 CW plus points at each resort (cypress palms and Shawnee Village) . One bought for $210.50 and the other bought for $232.50 Seller is paying closing costs and transfer fees and paying maintenance fees until transfer complete. Maintenance fees are 74/month and 69/month. If I did the math right I paid about $2/1000 pts and my maintenance fees are about $7/1000 pts. My WCA maintenance fees are $6.5/1000. Didn't care about where they were at just wanted the points to be able to get bigger units in prime time. Recently went to Emerald Grande in Destin and could only go 6 days because not enough points. Any advice would be great before I complete the transaction.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice info. Bought two resales on ebay last night for 1st time. Wanted to see if I did a good deal. Am currently Wyndham owner that has CWA with 274,000 points. I won two resale auctions last night on ebay. Both for 105,000 CW plus points at each resort (cypress palms and Shawnee Village) . One bought for $210.50 and the other bought for $232.50 Seller is paying closing costs and transfer fees and paying maintenance fees until transfer complete. Maintenance fees are 74/month and 69/month. If I did the math right I paid about $2/1000 pts and my maintenance fees are about $7/1000 pts. My WCA maintenance fees are $6.5/1000. Didn't care about where they were at just wanted the points to be able to get bigger units in prime time. Recently went to Emerald Grande in Destin and could only go 6 days because not enough points. Any advice would be great before I complete the transaction.

Price paid was good but as you know the maintenance fees are little bit high. Not everyone likes the smaller contracts, harder to get raid of but if you are going to keep them for a long time it works out.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not realizing it, Ron put out a challenge to view timeshare resale prices 3-dimensionally by 1) the maintenance fee/1000 points, plus 2) the value receive from rental returns. I had only alluded to this in my previous submission where I said that ARP was one consideration on resale prices, where I was thinking of the use of points for rentals.

When I tried to put the 3D idea into one chart, it got way too congested, so I am putting forth 4 charts. The first is one where the owner/renter has great properties that can get very high rental prices such as Mardi Gras week. The second is what large owner/renters, as well as Wyndham get for the use of points. The third represents the small time owner/renter. The fourth is the use of the points by regular owners for their own reservations.

In the four charts there are lines coming from 1) rental prices/1000 points $15, $11, $8, and $6 respectively, and 2) maintenance fees/1000 points, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, and $9. Lines from these two indicators meet and then point towards an estimated resale price for the given owner type, rental price, and maintenance fee combination.

I hope that the images are not too small to be seen, and actually make some sense. As Ron indicated, the resale prices will be much higher if the buyer has some revenue generating use for the points. A normal owner should not be spending big bucks on a resale contract, unless it has ARP value.
View attachment 3499
View attachment 3500
View attachment 3501
View attachment 3502
View attachment 3503
Jim

Jim,

After seeing your graphs, what do you do or did do for a living?

Joe

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Shawnee is an older resort ... mostly sold as fixed weeks except the Crestview HOA deeds. Yes, it has multiple deeded HOAs .. building stated in 1975-76 era with the Dupee HOA (RCI code 0001). Wyndham has only run the place for about 10 years. It has a large year-round indoor pool and recreation center. 2 outdoor seasonal pools.

There are contracts re-sold ... other fixed deeded weeks converted to Wyndham points ... which have GREAT ratios for points to MFs. Best are 189K for about $700 MFs = $3.71 plus CWP fee $.55 = $4.25/1K. Mostly you can find 166K ... which gives you $4.77 per 1,000 of Wyndham points.

This resort is hard to beat ... about 100-125 miles from NYC and Philadelphia metro areas ... major interstate (north/south & east/west) ... year round activities ... multiple ski areas (1000ft vertical), river tubing, water parks (indoor & outdoor). golf courses, underground mine tour, historic Victorian homes & tours, outlet mall shopping, grass skiing, and just plain, sitting on your deck in the woods (watch out for the black bears).

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice info. Bought two resales on ebay last night for 1st time. Wanted to see if I did a good deal. Am currently Wyndham owner that has CWA with 274,000 points. I won two resale auctions last night on ebay. Both for 105,000 CW plus points at each resort (cypress palms and Shawnee Village) . One bought for $210.50 and the other bought for $232.50 Seller is paying closing costs and transfer fees and paying maintenance fees until transfer complete. Maintenance fees are 74/month and 69/month. If I did the math right I paid about $2/1000 pts and my maintenance fees are about $7/1000 pts.
If the contracts have January Use Years, include the current year's points, and you do not start paying the maintenance fees until July or August when the transfer is complete, then the seller paid you $1.75-$2/point to take over these contracts.

If either or both of the maintenance fee numbers for the 105k contracts include the program fee, then you did a little better, because you will have a more efficient program fee per point at your new 484,000 points ownership than contracts at 105,000.

These appear to be good deals for you.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the contracts have January Use Years, include the current year's points, and you do not start paying the maintenance fees until July or August when the transfer is complete, then the seller paid you $1.75-$2/point to take over these contracts.

If either or both of the maintenance fee numbers for the 105k contracts include the program fee, then you did a little better, because you will have a more efficient program fee per point at your new 484,000 points ownership than contracts at 105,000.

These appear to be good deals for you.

Assuming this years points come with the two contracts for your use. It may even be a little better if there are credit pool points that come with the contracts and 2018 and 2019 points have not been used.

Shawnee is a very nice resort, you may want to visit it since you will be owning their. Have not seen any Bears but deer and rabbits are their. Maybe I will get to see a Bear on one of my visits. It is rural but their is a Casino or two near by.

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I'm a newbie, but it sounds like you got a great deal to me...

happyhopian

Reaction score
Anhyone checked on the pricing since the announcement. The things which sold this weekend most seemed to be in line of the $3-5/1k range where they have been. Any thoughts on where this goes?

happyhopian

Reaction score
update to comments post VIP/ownership changes. Please keep the thread up to date with there being so much anticipation on price changes post ownership changes. Thanks for everyone's help!!

There is ZERO downward movement in the prices over the weekend after the wyndham announcement. That doesn mean there will not be but there isn't as of now. As many know I've been tracking CWA resales for two years. I just ran the weekend CWA sales on ebay and the number are exactly inline and in several cases much higher than the last year's average. Larger contracts generally sell for less per 1k with smaller contracts selling for more $$ per 1k (similar with square footage sales prices on homes).

To those who are buying I like what Ron said earlier (and it is my buying strategy too) bid what you are willing to pay, win some, lose some but never over pay. I bid $3/1000 on every one. I rarely bid more and I've never bid over $4. I've missed a lot but I've won enough to get 3 million points at an average around $3/1k.

Here are the auctions that closed this weekend and today (only annual CWA which I've been tracking)

105,000 $740 $7.04/1k http://www.ebay.com/itm/WYNDHAM-CLU...370997?hash=item489bca49f5:g:bi0AAOSw4A5YzCZU

805,000 $4,431 $5.50/1k (incl closing) http://www.ebay.com/itm/WYNDHAM-CLU...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

154,000 $760 $4.93/1k http://www.ebay.com/itm/154-000-CLU...638823?hash=item41c25b51a7:g:qTYAAOSwpkFY5S3Q

413,000 $2,551 $6,17/1k (incl fee) http://www.ebay.com/itm/413-000-Clu...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1,000,000 $4,325 (incl fee) $4.32/1k http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-000-000-C...177320?hash=item5b36309468:g:7R0AAOSwe7BW1Ig8

Feel free to review and please post anything I didn't see or corrections. I want us all to be well informed and help each other to NEVER over pay :)

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be the deal of the month.

436,000 CWA $1725 with no closing costs and current year usage available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Club-Wyndha...661570?hash=item4402050d02:g:Mx8AAOSwTM5Y6rrn

By the time the deed records, the new owner might pay 5-6 months Maintenance Fees for 436,000 points. The new owner would have only 2-3 months to use the points by the time the contract transfers, but if they can use them by the end of the Use Year or deposit and use them in RCI, the owner was practically paid to take over the contract.

It is also interesting that most Wyndham timeshares with a reasonable Starting Bid are seeing some bidding interest, now, but are selling not far from the starting bid.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be the deal of the month.

436,000 CWA $1725 with no closing costs and current year usage available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Club-Wyndha...661570?hash=item4402050d02:g:Mx8AAOSwTM5Y6rrn

By the time the deed records, the new owner might pay 5-6 months Maintenance Fees for 436,000 points. The new owner would have only 2-3 months to use the points by the time the contract transfers, but if they can use them by the end of the Use Year or deposit and use them in RCI, the owner was practically paid to take over the contract.

It is also interesting that most Wyndham timeshares with a reasonable Starting Bid are seeing some bidding interest, now, but are selling not far from the starting bid.
If a platinum or gold owner bought it he dosent have to rush to use the 2017 points, he will be able to push the 2017 points into next year

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
If a platinum or gold owner bought it he dosent have to rush to use the 2017 points, he will be able to push the 2017 points into next year
Which, other than the additional RCI exchange fee, is about the same as extending the points for 2 years in RCI.

To maintain about the same level of usage, a Platinum owner who relies on cancel/rebook will have to just about double their ownership. I would think that and the ability to push points forward a year if Deposited to the new Points Pool would create some bidding interest in contracts such as this one. This contract would put a 1M Platinum owner almost halfway to the new goal for 2M points, and it would not have cost them anything purchase wise. There would be the additional maintenance fees, of course.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which, other than the additional RCI exchange fee, is about the same as extending the points for 2 years in RCI.

To maintain about the same level of usage, a Platinum owner who relies on cancel/rebook will have to just about double their ownership. I would think that and the ability to push points forward a year if Deposited to the new Points Pool would create some bidding interest in contracts such as this one. This contract would put a 1M Platinum owner almost halfway to the new goal for 2M points, and it would not have cost them anything purchase wise. There would be the additional maintenance fees, of course.

You have just described my strategy going forward. Buy contracts that pay for themselves, then sell the contract and do it again

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I followed that one down to the last second. We chit-chatted about it for awhile.

Was this one of the first resales from Wyndham 45? What do you figure the original owner lost on this one? $150,000 or more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk