• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Hyatt resale a good opportunity now

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I think its a foolish move to buy Hyatt for the best points value right now. Hyatt can change the terms of the current points overlay at any time. If you're interested in the Hyatt system, buy a unit you want to use, or a lock-off bigger than you want but a week you can use at a resort you'd want to visit annually (to get some extra points). If you employ this strategy, HRC cannot hurt you with their new Pure Points system.

The current Hyatt points system is just an overlay to a deeded week, you get a certain number of points if you don't use your deeded week, but HRC can change the terms of the points system at any time. Your points are not guaranteed to represent anything specific over time. This is in distinct contrast to DVC where X points always and forever will represent Y percent ownership at your home resort. With DVC, you actually own points and that means something legally. With HRC, you own a deeded week and that's it. You don't own points, the points are just a trading concept for trading internally within the HRC system.

As to the poster who commented that DVC was "too expensive," I will say that I agree its an expensive system to own in. However, my DVC has appreciated in value by 65% in a few years of ownership. I could sell in 12 seconds and make a profit that would largely offset what I've spent thus far between the purchase and the annual fees.

My Hyatt has held value decently, it would take me a little longer to sell but would move pretty quickly and I've gotten tremendous value out of it. Its a great trader, I've never even been to my home resort (although I'd be fine with using my week every year instead of trading). They are both good systems but the big difference is that the Hyatt can be expected to depreciate whereas the DVC weirdly just continues to appreciate year after year for me.
I basically agree with your post but DVC does expire after 50 years, leaving you with nothing and Hyatt is a deed in perpetuity which you can leave to your kids or sell in whatever year you decide. This may be of little import now, but DVC points are NOT " always and forever."

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I basically agree with your post but DVC does expire after 50 years, leaving you with nothing and Hyatt is a deed in perpetuity which you can leave to your kids or sell in whatever year you decide. This may be of little import now, but DVC points are NOT " always and forever."

I know people think a deed in perpetuity is a plus but I think it's a negative. If you use it for 50 years, you've likely gotten a lot out of it. Best to let your timeshare die when it gets old, rather than saddle your kids with a responsibility/liability that may not realistically work for them.

Sure they could refuse to inherit it, but if that's how it's going to play out then there's no advantage to owning a deed in perpetuity.

A HUGE problem is TS ownership IMO is the lack of an exit strategy. TS that expire are an answer to this. Personally, I think a very good answer.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I think its a foolish move to buy Hyatt for the best points value right now. Hyatt can change the terms of the current points overlay at any time. If you're interested in the Hyatt system, buy a unit you want to use, or a lock-off bigger than you want but a week you can use at a resort you'd want to visit annually (to get some extra points). If you employ this strategy, HRC cannot hurt you with their new Pure Points system.

The current Hyatt points system is just an overlay to a deeded week, you get a certain number of points if you don't use your deeded week, but HRC can change the terms of the points system at any time. Your points are not guaranteed to represent anything specific over time. This is in distinct contrast to DVC where X points always and forever will represent Y percent ownership at your home resort. With DVC, you actually own points and that means something legally. With HRC, you own a deeded week and that's it. You don't own points, the points are just a trading concept for trading internally within the HRC system.

As to the poster who commented that DVC was "too expensive," I will say that I agree its an expensive system to own in. However, my DVC has appreciated in value by 65% in a few years of ownership. I could sell in 12 seconds and make a profit that would largely offset what I've spent thus far between the purchase and the annual fees.

My Hyatt has held value decently, it would take me a little longer to sell but would move pretty quickly and I've gotten tremendous value out of it. Its a great trader, I've never even been to my home resort (although I'd be fine with using my week every year instead of trading). They are both good systems but the big difference is that the Hyatt can be expected to depreciate whereas the DVC weirdly just continues to appreciate year after year for me.

While technically true that Hyatt can change the terms of the points system within HRC, I disagree with the implications in your post that this happens frequently--or even at all. Hyatt's point values for Diamond and Platinum weeks have not been degraded one iota over at least the past 6-8 years.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
While technically true that Hyatt can change the terms of the points system within HRC, I disagree with the implications in your post that this happens frequently--or even at all. Hyatt's point values for Diamond and Platinum weeks have not been degraded one iota over at least the past 6-8 years.

Yes but they are adding more Diamond and Platinum weeks. They created Diamond weeks when none previously existed. They created new room categories that are more point values for the same or smaller size units. They have entire resorts like Maui with units that "cost" more points than some owners have. These moves have all effectively prevented gold owners from accessing a great many weeks that they could previously access. No reason to expect that this type of thing would not continue. You could own a Diamond week today and next year HRC could create "Sapphire" weeks at current legacy resorts, they could value these weeks at 2500 pts each and thereby block Diamond owners from access. I don't say this because it's a theoretical concern- it's literally something HRC has fine previously. Platinum used to be the highest value weeks. Until one day, HRC created Diamond weeks.

It's naive to expect anything less over time. Your options are to play the points game & maybe get burned (but if you minimize costs over time by minimizing purchase price & MFs maybe you can make it work). OR you buy the best value week you'd want to use anyway and don't try to go for the "best" points-MF-purchase price combo. You're more likely to win in the long run in my opinion by pursuing the latter strategy.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Yes but they are adding more Diamond and Platinum weeks. They created Diamond weeks when none previously existed. They created new room categories that are more point values for the same or smaller size units. They have entire resorts like Maui with units that "cost" more points than some owners have. These moves have all effectively prevented gold owners from accessing a great many weeks that they could previously access. No reason to expect that this type of thing would not continue. You could own a Diamond week today and next year HRC could create "Sapphire" weeks at current legacy resorts, they could value these weeks at 2500 pts each and thereby block Diamond owners from access. I don't say this because it's a theoretical concern- it's literally something HRC has fine previously. Platinum used to be the highest value weeks. Until one day, HRC created Diamond weeks.

It's naive to expect anything less over time. Your options are to play the points game & maybe get burned (but if you minimize costs over time by minimizing purchase price & MFs maybe you can make it work). OR you buy the best value week you'd want to use anyway and don't try to go for the "best" points-MF-purchase price combo. You're more likely to win in the long run in my opinion by pursuing the latter strategy.

Hmmm.. But if you have fixed unit/fixed week, and that's where you go every year, who cares about "Sapphire" weeks? We bought Hyatt 1. For our fixed week/unit and 2. For trade ability in "gold" and "bronze" weeks... I think that's what you are recommending... And ONLY BUY resale...

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Hmmm.. But if you have fixed unit/fixed week, and that's where you go every year, who cares about "Sapphire" weeks? We bought Hyatt 1. For our fixed week/unit and 2. For trade ability in "gold" and "bronze" weeks... I think that's what you are recommending... And ONLY BUY resale...

There were questions being asked about the best point value to MF weeks. Those owners would care greatly about the creation of the mythical Sapphire weeks, because someone who say strategically buys a Platinum week they can never use might be locked out of trading into units they expected to be able to trade into. This is exactly what happened to us- we bought a 2BR gold week at High Sierra with the expectation that we could use it some years, and some years trade into Highlands Inn 1BR units with points leftover for more Hyatt travel or trades into II studio units. Then HRC doubled points values of all units at Highlands Inn, preventing us from accessing many weeks- all the plat and diamond 1BR weeks that we expected to be able to trade into. It wasn't the end of the world because we can still travel in low season (which we prefer in Carmel anyway). And we have an underlying week we're happy to use (although interestingly we never have). HRC very much decreased the value of the points we "own".

If we had bought at a resort we would rarely travel to (like say Wild Oak), we'd have been more aggrieved. Owning a week we can use changes the equation completely IMO, makes whatever HRC chooses to bring on ok with us, since we're fine with our owned week.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

I also don't agree with all of heathpack's comments. Most TS can change their rules at moment's notice -I expect that. That certainly doesn't mean they are trying to screw deeded owners; conversely, it would not be in their (ILG) best interest to do so. While Hyatt has increased the point value at some of its resorts (Vistana did the same thing at WSJ), I must say it has not adversely affected us at all, based on what we do/where we visit. And if it had, I would have simply adjusted to the new points. I guess my expectations are that systems will be modified from time to time and you have to adapt to the new system. I very seriously doubt Hyatt's current internal trading system is going to be significantly modified to the detriment of most deeded owners. In terms of buying, I and many others on this forum, including the resident guru Kal, believe prices are likely to go up after the introduction of the PPP system. So now is probably a great time to buy!

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
There were questions being asked about the best point value to MF weeks. Those owners would care greatly about the creation of the mythical Sapphire weeks, because someone who say strategically buys a Platinum week they can never use might be locked out of trading into units they expected to be able to trade into. This is exactly what happened to us- we bought a 2BR gold week at High Sierra with the expectation that we could use it some years, and some years trade into Highlands Inn 1BR units with points leftover for more Hyatt travel or trades into II studio units. Then HRC doubled points values of all units at Highlands Inn, preventing us from accessing many weeks- all the plat and diamond 1BR weeks that we expected to be able to trade into. It wasn't the end of the world because we can still travel in low season (which we prefer in Carmel anyway). And we have an underlying week we're happy to use (although interestingly we never have). HRC very much decreased the value of the points we "own".

If we had bought at a resort we would rarely travel to (like say Wild Oak), we'd have been more aggrieved. Owning a week we can use changes the equation completely IMO, makes whatever HRC chooses to bring on ok with us, since we're fine with our owned week.

The key here is if you're buying a week to use in Hyatt's internal trading system (in addition to using) is to buy a high demand week (think diamond) that will retain value fairly well and be easier to sell, should you desire to..

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If MF is in the equation, you need to consider changes in the MF. Over time, Hyatt increases MF on average 5%/year. With older resorts, replacement and major renovations drive the MFs higher. It's all a moving target where the numbers can change even with a single focus resort. Often there is a situation where the developer subsidizes the MF to keep them "low" to attract new buyers. Once the property is sold out the fees jump. That jump might very well coincide with the onset of the need for replacements. Furnishings get worn or designer trends change all causing higher MFs.

Moreover, the owner experiences life style changes where your preferences 10 years ago no longer match your situation tomorrow. And I'm not even going to go there with body part changes. A two level condo format might not be so "perfect" when looking at the internal stairway. A ski resort might not work if you advance out of the "ski business".

So it's all a moving target. Carpe Diem...

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I also don't agree with all of heathpack's comments. Most TS can change their rules at moment's notice -I expect that. That certainly doesn't mean they are trying to screw deeded owners; conversely, it would not be in their (ILG) best interest to do so. While Hyatt has increased the point value at some of its resorts (Vistana did the same thing at WSJ), I must say it has not adversely affected us at all, based on what we do/where we visit. And if it had, I would have simply adjusted to the new points. I guess my expectations are that systems will be modified from time to time and you have to adapt to the new system. I very seriously doubt Hyatt's current internal trading system is going to be significantly modified to the detriment of most deeded owners. In terms of buying, I and many others on this forum, including the resident guru Kal, believe prices are likely to go up after the introduction of the PPP system. So now is probably a great time to buy!

I think your take on TS ownership is a little bit pie-in-the-sky. TS companies are always willing to change rules in a manner that screws current owners. The things that keep this in check are: 1. Legal protections (i.e. You buy something like DVC points which by law can only be modified in certain ways that are not going to significantly degrade the value of your ownership) and 2. The desire not to develop a sleazy reputation that would hurt future sales. TS companies will modify rules to their own benefit when they feel like they can get away with it.

The other huge point that I am making is that you DO NOT own points. Don't go into a Hyatt purchase believing you do. Understand that you are buying a week. My strong suggestion is to buy a week that is usable to you. Don't put yourself in the position of relying on Hyatt "doing the right thing". Because what you think is the "right thing" may well differ from what HRC thinks is the right thing.

As to Kal's opinion that deeded weeks will become more valuable, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if this happened- at first. But eventually Hyatt will populate their new points system with legacy weeks. I doubt Hyatt is going to introduce a points system that's going to be usable for current owners. Over the years, the deeded weeks will start to become less attractive because new buyers will want into the Pure Points system due to its flexibility. Eventually our deeded weeks will erode in value. As I age and possibly don't want to travel to Tahoe any more, I may own a week that I can't use, is hard to sell, and is my problem in perpetuity. My hope is that there is still enough value in the week that I can unload it when the day comes that I don't want it anymore. I weight this "hope" against the reality of it possibly making more sense to just sell now, while my week is still worth 75% of what I paid for it. Smart move might be to sell when the temporary bump in prices comes after the Pure Points system rolls out.

Personally I don't buy all the optimism about our units increasing in value over time. I just dont see that being the case 5-10 years from now.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think your take on TS ownership is a little bit pie-in-the-sky. TS companies are always willing to change rules in a manner that screws current owners. The things that keep this in check are: 1. Legal protections (i.e. You buy something like DVC points which by law can only be modified in certain ways that are not going to significantly degrade the value of your ownership) and 2. The desire not to develop a sleazy reputation that would hurt future sales. TS companies will modify rules to their own benefit when they feel like they can get away with it.

The other huge point that I am making is that you DO NOT own points. Don't go into a Hyatt purchase believing you do. Understand that you are buying a week. My strong suggestion is to buy a week that is usable to you. Don't put yourself in the position of relying on Hyatt "doing the right thing". Because what you think is the "right thing" may well differ from what HRC thinks is the right thing.

As to Kal's opinion that deeded weeks will become more valuable, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if this happened- at first. But eventually Hyatt will populate their new points system with legacy weeks. I doubt Hyatt is going to introduce a points system that's going to be usable for current owners. Over the years, the deeded weeks will start to become less attractive because new buyers will want into the Pure Points system due to its flexibility. Eventually our deeded weeks will erode in value. As I age and possibly don't want to travel to Tahoe any more, I may own a week that I can't use, is hard to sell, and is my problem in perpetuity. My hope is that there is still enough value in the week that I can unload it when the day comes that I don't want it anymore. I weight this "hope" against the reality of it possibly making more sense to just sell now, while my week is still worth 75% of what I paid for it. Smart move might be to sell when the temporary bump in prices comes after the Pure Points system rolls out.

Personally I don't buy all the optimism about our units increasing in value over time. I just dont see that being the case 5-10 years from now.

With such a negative view and outlook, selling your Hyatt might be a good choice for you. I agree with Kal that it will likely take a very long time for current Hyatt owners to be adversely impacted by the PPP system..

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody on TUG is buying a TS as an investment. There are so many nuances in different properties and weeks and even rooms that the discussion on TS value can (and will) go on forever.

There is no "best" TS to buy - different people have different objectives and travel plans. So whatever works best for your particular scenario is the "best" TS for you.

No points program can trump a deeded week - hench the underlying rational in the Hyatt world of buying a property you'd be happy with returning to if the internal or external exchange format goes south.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Nobody on TUG is buying a TS as an investment. There are so many nuances in different properties and weeks and even rooms that the discussion on TS value can (and will) go on forever.

There is no "best" TS to buy - different people have different objectives and travel plans. So whatever works best for your particular scenario is the "best" TS for you.

No points program can trump a deeded week - hench the underlying rational in the Hyatt world of buying a property you'd be happy with returning to if the internal or external exchange format goes south.

Thank you.

Exactly what I'm saying.

Own a week you want and can use. Understand it will almost certainly erode in value over time. Don't count on anything like internal trading that you don't have a legal right to (and certainly dont buy an ownership with the intention of primarily using that ownership in a way which you have no legal right to). Look ahead far enough that you understand your exit strategy options.

Blindly believing a TS system will do right by you out of the goodness of their (non-existant) hearts might be considered by some to be "positive" whereas my take is "negative". I disagree. I think my take is rational and realistic.

And when I say that Hyatt has no heart, I am not saying that I think they're mean or expressing paranoia. I'm saying this because it's quite literally true. HRC is a corporation- no heart, limited ethics. Corporations are about making money, plain & simple. Not a value judgement. Just a statement of facts.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

Regarding your defense of DVC, as many have previously stated on the DVC forum, the price one pays for DVC is difficult to impossible to justify; it is usually an emotional decision. TSs are not an investment, rather a prepayment for future vacations. We own WKV (2BR plat.) and like you High Sierra. We do NOT expect to get one cent when we sell these.. This negative chatter reminds me a lot of that over on the Vistana forum prior to the rollout of Sheraton Flex. So far, not one iota of adverse impact..

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.

Totally agree!! We bought (Platinum) primarily to go to the same resort (with kids and grandkids) every year. We will trade for Gold/Silver/Bronze weeks to get maximum point usage, not for Diamond or "Sapphire" or other future ultra high point weeks...

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Regarding your defense of DVC, as many have previously stated on the DVC forum, the price one pays for DVC is difficult to impossible to justify; it is usually an emotional decision. TSs are not an investment, rather a prepayment for future vacations. We own WKV (2BR plat.) and like you High Sierra. We do NOT expect to get one cent when we sell these.. This negative chatter reminds me a lot of that over on the Vistana forum prior to the rollout of Sheraton Flex. So far, not one iota of adverse impact..
If you ever decide to give away your WKV 2/2 Platinum, I will jump in and pay all closing/escrow/transfer costs!!! In fact, I will give you real money for that TS!!! :)

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you ever decide to give away your WKV 2/2 Platinum, I will jump in and pay all closing/escrow/transfer costs!!! In fact, I will give you real money for that TS!!! :)

OK, I'll keep you in mind when we're ready to sell..

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your purchase was resale, you're already way ahead of the curve. Set a reasonable timeline for how long you really will use the resort/system. The transaction cost prorated over time plus the annual MF will establish the top line annual cost. Now subtract out the your sales price and you have a number. If that number works, you're a winner. If the system goes south (or you do if you give it away) you're very likely still a winner.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

Well I can't really agree with this either. DVC for us was a very rational purchase, it was pretty easy to justify. We like Disneyland and Disney World but find both to have a pretty big hassle factor. We're not too interested in visiting either resort unless we can reduce that hassle factor. We can stay less expensively off-property. But for us, that increases hassle factor beyond a point we're ok with. If you know yourself and you can understand when it's a rational decision to pay more for a TS than someone else would.

And on top of that, as I mentioned unthread, our DVC has appreciated in value quite significantly. Points are a snap to rent. There is an exit strategy built in if we choose to hold on to our DVC long term. So purchasing DVC was not in any way an emotional decision for us, it was as well-thought-through as our Hyatt, Starwood and Marriott ownerships. Actually *more* well-thought-through than our Hyatt purchase because we were more knowledgable when we bought DVC. Hyatt was our first TS purchase and we did well, but did not fully understand the system at the time we bought.

What started this whole line of conversation were the questions up thread of a DVC owner considering a Hyatt purchase, he/she was asking for comparisons between the two systems. DVC owners literally own points & it's easy for them to assume with Hyatt that you literally own points. Very important in that context to understand the real differences between the two products.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, I'll keep you in mind when we're ready to sell..

Thanks!! I think you will find it is worth more than you think!!

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks!! I think you will find it is worth more than you think!!

Agreed. As a former owner at WPORV, one of the big disadvantages of that resort is that it's "voluntary", meaning resale owners cannot trade internally within the Vistana portfolio of resorts. WKV is a "mandatory" resort, allowing resale owners to do so. That alone will keep your valuation high, and should make it a lot easier to sell as well.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aside from the conspiracy theories, with the Hyatt system you are in a points system AND you own real property. Yeah, down the road stuff might happen, but in the meantime a large segment of HRC owners rely and use the points very effectively. For me, the last time I stayed in any of the units I own was 2010. And for one of the units I have never stayed there. Thus, for one guy, the points work very well and the end game is when I get tired of it all and bail.

Last edited:

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Aside from the conspiracy theories, with the Hyatt system you are in a points system AND you own real property. Yeah, down the road stuff might happen, but in the meantime a large segment of HRC owners rely and use the points very effectively. For me, the last time I stayed in any of the units I own was 2010. And for one of the units I have never stayed there. Thus, for one guy, the points work very well and the end game is when I get tired of it all and bail.
We own three weeks at Beach House, all bought resale during the big recession at low cost, and have never stayed there at all, using the points at various HRC properties. We have traveled with friends, family members, and have sent our kids on nice vacations they could not afford. We love the flexible
Hyatt system and have no expectation of return on our initial cost. And to top it off, heartless Hyatt recently upgraded those weeks from 2 bronze and one gold to one gold, one platinum, and one diamond, so we have been very fortunate. If the whole system collapsed and became worthless, we have had many luxurious vacations at very reasonable cost, in places like Carmel, Sedona, Tahoe, Key West, Colorado, and Bonita Springs. Count us as HRC enthusiasts.

Reaction score
We own three weeks at Beach House, all bought resale during the big recession at low cost, and have never stayed there at all, using the points at various HRC properties. We have traveled with friends, family members, and have sent our kids on nice vacations they could not afford. We love the flexible
Hyatt system and have no expectation of return on our initial cost. And to top it off, heartless Hyatt recently upgraded those weeks from 2 bronze and one gold to one gold, one platinum, and one diamond, so we have been very fortunate. If the whole system collapsed and became worthless, we have had many luxurious vacations at very reasonable cost, in places like Carmel, Sedona, Tahoe, Key West, Colorado, and Bonita Springs. Count us as HRC enthusiasts.

Impressive

Have you been able to get what you want (other locations) most of the time? What room sizes did you book and what are easier to get? I assume Aspen (ski season) and Maui (summer) are probably the hardest to match.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We used to be huge fans of VRBO and said we would never buy a timeshare. Now we wish we knew about Hyatt resales years ago. We own 2 weeks ,Sedona and Beach House which we have never used and have traded within Hyatt into 6 to 8 weeks of vacation in luxury each yr. We supplement with credit card hotel and airline points (see million mile secrets.com) and now spend much less for incredible vacations than in our VRBO days