• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is AC problem a deal breaker at Smuggs?

NHpauls

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to get a 4th of July (summer week) 3 bedroom at Smuggs in Sycamores and I'm reading posts that say there is no AC in the living/dining area. The bedrooms do but they "freeze" in order to get the cool into the main area. Is this a deal breaker?

I am very uncomfortable if it's too hot & I will need to close the bedroom doors so the 2 year old triplets can sleep & so our early-to-bed adult doesn't hear TV & talking from living room.

Help... Otherwise the resort sounds perfect for our family. And the best part is I'd get it for a great price: Free! The MF's are a tad high at $986 but you get a lot for that and it's 3 bedrooms.

What d'ya think?
-Ruth

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For a prime week like that and 3 BR, I don't think the maintenance fees are high. Also, I would also suggest grabbing it. Good luck.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I agree to grab it if you really like the resort. Sent you a PM.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You do realize you get and have to also pay for a non prime float week with the same MF's.

I stayed in a 3 Br Sycamore a few years ago and thought the ac issue was very minor.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I have a chance to get a 4th of July (summer week) 3 bedroom at Smuggs in Sycamores and I'm reading posts that say there is no AC in the living/dining area. The bedrooms do but they "freeze" in order to get the cool into the main area. Is this a deal breaker?

I am very uncomfortable if it's too hot & I will need to close the bedroom doors so the 2 year old triplets can sleep & so our early-to-bed adult doesn't hear TV & talking from living room.

Help... Otherwise the resort sounds perfect for our family. And the best part is I'd get it for a great price: Free! The MF's are a tad high at $986 but you get a lot for that and it's 3 bedrooms.

What d'ya think?
I used to have a 4th of July week in Vermont. I will grab this if you don't! Mine was not at Smuggs much smaller and RTU Go for it!
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Remember- though-you will not get use of the resort amenities with resale. You will have to buy a benefits package for "x" amount of years or you could buy a Smuggs pass each year you are there if you want.

You will have use if the Sycamores pool and clubhouse, but that's about it if you do not buy the benefits. In other words, you won't be able to use the other pools and camps and guided hikes and so on.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Also- what building is it in? Is it in Building B? Does it face the parking lot or the back do you know. No biggie but would be good to know. You can always ask owners services if you don't know.

(I am in Y15- Building A)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Remember- though-you will not get use of the resort amenities with resale. You will have to buy a benefits package for "x" amount of years or you could buy a Smuggs pass each year you are there if you want.

You will have use if the Sycamores pool and clubhouse, but that's about it if you do not buy the benefits. In other words, you won't be able to use the other pools and camps and guided hikes and so on.

Do they still sell the 10 year benefits package or are they trying to force more into "converting" to wyndham in order to access the amenities?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Do they still sell the 10 year benefits package or are they trying to force more into "converting" to wyndham in order to access the amenities?

I know they are offering a 10 year option for current owners right now.

NHpauls

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smuggs AC & benefits...

I would be in building C at the beginning of that building. First door on the right as you go up the hill.

I understand about the Pass and that we can't use the waterslides unless we buy a pass. $350 for a whole week for 7 people does not seem outrageous to me. If we went to a waterpark we'd pay that for 2 days admission. And then you get all of the other goodies also. Or not buy the pass while they are so young; maybe have the boys pick one camp to attend. But they can hike around the resort, "creeking", the local pool, night bonfire... That could be enough for a few years until the boys are older.

AC: sounds like it might not be too big a problem. We are on ground floor which means we have to put up with noise above us but we will be cooler. And having a grill on our patio is a big plus.

Ok guys! I'm gonna do it! Thank you everyone for your input. It helps!
-Ruth (Gma of 2-year-old triplet boys!)

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Congratulations! We love Smuggs, and have stayed in the Sycamore 3 BR units on RCI exchange a couple of times. Sounds like you are getting a great deal! We loved the layout of the units there. We travel with 4 kids ages 19, 12, 12, and 10. Everyone had a spot to be, and the kitchen was very nicely done. Enjoy!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would be in building C at the beginning of that building. First door on the right as you go up the hill.

I understand about the Pass and that we can't use the waterslides unless we buy a pass. $350 for a whole week for 7 people does not seem outrageous to me. If we went to a waterpark we'd pay that for 2 days admission. And then you get all of the other goodies also. Or not buy the pass while they are so young; maybe have the boys pick one camp to attend. But they can hike around the resort, "creeking", the local pool, night bonfire... That could be enough for a few years until the boys are older.

AC: sounds like it might not be too big a problem. We are on ground floor which means we have to put up with noise above us but we will be cooler. And having a grill on our patio is a big plus.

Ok guys! I'm gonna do it! Thank you everyone for your input. It helps!
-Ruth (Gma of 2-year-old triplet boys!)

Per another owner, I don't know that they are still offering the weekly passes to owners only to RCI. This may have been a recent change.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Very awesome! Good decision. You will have many years of enjoyment! Fourth of July week is so great up there!

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Per another owner, I don't know that they are still offering the weekly passes to owners only to RCI. This may have been a recent change.

I think you can do the weekly passes as an owner. What it is if you as a club owner rent out your unit, your renters cannot buy a pass. They have to buy what is called a Privilege Package in order to access amenities. Basically it will cost them a lot more than the Smuggs pass.

This is the resort's way of trying to take control of rentals as their rentals are way down and they have agreements with the Family Share and Full Owners to rent their units. So they decided to "punish" average club owners I guess.