• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is a 1BR DLX O.V. worth the extra 63K pts at Kauai Beach Villas?

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Looking at a Jan. stay for 2 adults. I'm vacillating between a 1BR standard view (203K) and a 1BR DLX O.V. (266K). I can afford the 266K but that will mean giving up a couple nights on a future rez. Is it worth it, IYHO? We like the site & sound of the waves.

Do you get just a small peek of the ocean & how far are the units from the beach? We've stayed at a lot of T/S on Kauai but never this one.

Mahalo!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The ocean front units are true ocean front in Bldg. F, G, & H. Buildings G and H are the closest to to the ocean. F might be described as more of an "ocean view."

The other buildings (A-E) are strung out along the driveway which meanders away from the beach.

You will not see the ocean from Blogs. A-E.

MAP:

kbv_map-1b.jpg

Here is the 3rd floor view from Bldg. G or H:

KauaiBeachVillas-ocean-front-patio.jpg

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great info as usual Denise. Thanks. So if I rez. a 1BR DLX O.V. (Wyndham website has no O.F. option) I assume I'll end up somewhere in F,G or H. Yes?

How far in advance can you find out your room #, or bldg #, once a rez. is made? Most resorts won't assign rooms until a day in advance.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - F, G, H - facing the ocean. I don't own Wyndham points (I own weeks) so I don't know how points reservations assignments work.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - F, G, H - facing the ocean. I don't own Wyndham points (I own weeks) so I don't know how points reservations assignments work.

Mahalo, Denise. :)

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
When I called three days before my check-in last Sunday, they were able to tell me the room #. This a pic from the lanai of the Bldg F - ground level - 1BR.
IMG_2225.jpg

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bet you were hoping for a higher floor. :) Can you hear the waves from the lanai?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
This is actually the worst view I have had here - I attribute it to the fact that Wyndham is no longer the mgt company. An exchanger got a better view.

Pahio owners (even those who converted to Wyndham pts) can reserve 14 months out, so tend to get the better views in my experience.

Waves... a little... more wind, birds, and roosters.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is actually the worst view I have had here - I attribute it to the fact that Wyndham is no longer the mgt company. An exchanger got a better view.

I thought you said that you changed your reservation several times? That is more likely to be the problem.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Damn roosters. :eek:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought you said that you changed your reservation several times? That is more likely to be the problem.
With Wyndham I could have requested the other room, but they probably would have put me in it without asking. But you are correct that it was an issue of my own making as I moved my stay up a week and gave up the unit I booked thru Pahio. A week became available at Lawai and we have been wanting to stay there for a while.

Phil - I think the roosters are an acquired taste (no pun intended). I am sure we will miss them when we leave.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After walking around the property and looking at the map for KBV, it looks like only half of the 1BR OV units have decent views of the ocean. The rest range from partial OV to almost no OV. And only 2 units (G1 & G5) have anything approaching OF, with G1 being a ground-floor unit. Other than G1, and G5, the best 1BR OV units appear to be fully-owned condos.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Phil, take note that there are no 1 bedroom units of any variety in building H. In addition, the 1 bedroom units in F or G building are the units on the ends. All the units in the middle of those buildings are 2 bedrooms. Check the map in Reply #2 above.

Not certain what constitutes a "Deluxe" 1 bedroom, unless it's the second bath. If so, then the end units on the ocean side of F or G building are 1br2ba type. The 1br1ba units in those buildings are on the back corners away from the ocean, and are not considered ocean view.

Important, deep insider information for you: Units are assigned based on the day of the week you check in. The only 1br2ba units in G building that are not wholly owned condos are G1 and G5, and they check in on Saturday. So if you want to stay in G building, you need to check in on Saturday. There are six 1br2ba units in F building, and they check in on Friday or Sunday. People who are assigned to F building checked in on one of those days.

Dave

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, the 1BR DLX is a 1BR/2BA. In the Wyndham pts charts there is no 1BR/1BA Ocean View. Unit types are 1BR Standard View, 1BR Deluxe OV, 1BR Deluxe Standard View, 2BR Deluxe OV, 2BR Deluxe Lagoon.

That would seem to mean that F2, F4, F6, F13, F15, and F17 are 1BR standard, as are G2, G4, and G19. I had thought under Pahio that all the units in F, G, and H were consider OV.

Thanks for that info.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had thought under Pahio that all the units in F, G, and H were consider OV.

No - only the units directly facing the ocean.

And Dave is right about why you were assigned to building F on a Sunday check-in.

However, another question is what is available to reserve with Wyndham points, and what is not. That I don't know.

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No - only the units directly facing the ocean.

And Dave is right about why you were assigned to building F on a Sunday check-in.

However, another question is what is available to reserve with Wyndham points, and what is not. That I don't know.

Yes, good question. This makes me hesitant to spend extra pts and then get Bldg F with only a "peek" at the ocean. That would tick me off. I will call the resort & see if I can get enlightened by the staff.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, good question. This makes me hesitant to spend extra pts and then get Bldg F with only a "peek" at the ocean. That would tick me off. I will call the resort & see if I can get enlightened by the staff.

Phil, perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. If you want a guarantee of an oceanFRONT 1br2ba, it needs to be in G building. To get a 1br2ba in G building, you NEED to check in on a Saturday. If you check in on Friday or Sunday, they'll put you in F building, because there aren't any other units available. It's how they assign units. There is a chart showing which units check in on which days across the resort. That schedule is how they do things, for everybody. :shrug:

Dave

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Dave. I just misread your post. I'll have to rethink our plans. Bldg F would be better than A>E but maybe not worth the extra 63K pts if you only get a peek of the ocean. [I have a week rez. on Maui starting the following Friday so need to ck. in on a Fri.]

I wonder how they handle 3 or 4 day rez. that ck. in mid-week? Crap shoot?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It would be a bit of a crapshoot IMO. Depending on the day, you could either be picking up day 3 or 4 of a Bldg F check-in, just as easily as the remainder of a Bldg G check-in.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks Dave. I just misread your post. I'll have to rethink our plans. Bldg F would be better than A>E but maybe not worth the extra 63K pts if you only get a peek of the ocean. [I have a week rez. on Maui starting the following Friday so need to ck. in on a Fri.]

I wonder how they handle 3 or 4 day rez. that ck. in mid-week? Crap shoot?

Sorry, I don't do Points, so don't have any idea how that would be handled.

There is another option. The Aqua-managed Kauai Beach Resort Hotel is right next door to KBV, and shares the same general property. You could check into the hotel for one night, then check into that G-building unit at KBV on Saturday. (We've done that before, and it works pretty well.) Since you're leaving for Maui the following Friday, you'd be vacating the G building unit one day early, which would technically waste the points for the one day. But at least you'd be oceanfront. Worth considering, to get you that tricky G-building unit. http://www.kauaibeachresorthawaii.com/specials-offers/?gclid=CP2j0ZG4ndICFQx_fgodc44L4w

Dave

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yup, thought of that. It's an option for sure.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Most of the time I've been in F18 (3rd floor) with a great view of the ocean--far more than a peek. F16 would have the same view; not sure how much the first floor in that tier can see.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Most of the time I've been in F18 (3rd floor) with a great view of the ocean--far more than a peek. F16 would have the same view; not sure how much the first floor in that tier can see.

Better parking options, too. :)

Dave

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The pic in the earlier post is from the first floor ... F14