• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval International

just4stef

Reaction score
New to timeshares so lots of questions. Can anyone tell me about Interval International. Appears that I became a member when we purchased our timeshare. Do I need to renew my membership every year?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I moved your post to the Vistana Forum because you have a Vistana II Acct. that is part of your timeshare ownership. When you buy a timeshare from the developer, an II account is automatically included. You pay for this account as part of your yearly Vistana fee, so you don't have to do anything to pay the membership in the future.

You should have received some info. about setting your II Acct. up, from Vistana.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just so you know, some of what you read here won't apply to your ownership in II, because you have FlexOptions. At most of the Vistana resorts, we deposit a week in II and can exchange for a week.

With your ownership, you deposit Flex Options in II, which, depending on the number deposited, have a certain trading value. There are a few FlexOption owners here who know more about the particulars.

One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of resorts in II are lower quality than the Vistana resorts, so you have to be careful that you don't trade your Mercedes for a Chevy. If you want to trade your resort, it has more value if you trade the Staroptions in the Vistana network. It's also free to trade your Staroptions, but there are fees for exchanging in II.

Last edited:

just4stef

Reaction score
Denise, how do you trade the StarOptions in the Vistana network?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
I have the free membership to Interval. I have no intention of exchanging my options, will more than likely be using them for other Vistana properties. Well, I should probably not say "never" but hope to either go to my home villa or others nearby. However, I keep getting emails and postcards from them about getaways and cheap weeks. Is here anything you get from Interval where you don't have to exchange your options? Is there an FAQ somewhere? Every time I start looking at these, they talk about exchanging. Nevermind.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I have the free membership to Interval. I have no intention of exchanging my options, will more than likely be using them for other Vistana properties. Well, I should probably not say "never" but hope to either go to my home villa or others nearby. However, I keep getting emails and postcards from them about getaways and cheap weeks. Is here anything you get from Interval where you don't have to exchange your options? Is there an FAQ somewhere? Every time I start looking at these, they talk about exchanging. Nevermind.

They keep sending me certificates for free weeks that I have usually ignored as I don't have enough vacation time to use my own ownership let alone other weeks on top. However, did some investigating yesterday and there is some availability at Westin/Starwood resorts showing up on II as open to me as 'free' weeks in the next 6 months e.g. Avon and Lagunamar. Could take a week off sick but how would I explain the tan :)

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
They keep sending me certificates for free weeks that I have usually ignored as I don't have enough vacation time to use my own ownership let alone other weeks on top. However, did some investigating yesterday and there is some availability at Westin/Starwood resorts showing up on II as open to me as 'free' weeks in the next 6 months e.g. Avon and Lagunamar. Could take a week off sick but how would I explain the tan :)
Nothing is really free, (I think you still have to pay something), but I don't understand how to access those "cheap" weeks. Seems like they keep asking me to exchange. Link??? I imagine Lagunamar during hurricane season might be something that would be available.... :) We have a sabbatical coming up this fall.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing is really free, (I think you still have to pay something), but I don't understand how to access those "cheap" weeks. Seems like they keep asking me to exchange. Link??? I imagine Lagunamar during hurricane season might be something that would be available.... :) We have a sabbatical coming up this fall.
You are right -- nothing is free and you do have to generally pay a fee to use the free week. But some of these certificates can be valuable -- it all depends on their restrictions. I've found some valuable weeks using these certificates (in addition to the hurricane season weeks you mentioned) -- you just need to search to find out. The last certificate exchange I did cost $329 but I ended up getting an additional unit at Ko Olina for it (next day check-in so obviously restricted).

blondietink

Reaction score
I have looked at the most recent free weeks per email from Interval. Advertised 3 bedrooms but could not find any 3 bedrooms available in either the Caribbean or US for November dates which is s till hurricane season. Most of the Caribbean resorts were all inclusive so you would have to purchase the inclusive plan for extra money. So, not very low cost at all. Most resorts were also either one bedroom or studio with limited/no kitchens.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar

If you log on to your II account there's a My Certificates section if you have any. They will usually email you every couple of months to remind you if you have one. As already pointed out many of the available accommodation is either no kitchen, a studio or requires payment for the all inclusive plan but larger 'no strings' deals are available in some locations. Free is apparently better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Don't ask me why, it's an English thing :)

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
If you log on to your II account there's a My Certificates section if you have any. They will usually email you every couple of months to remind you if you have one. As already pointed out many of the available accommodation is either no kitchen, a studio or requires payment for the all inclusive plan but larger 'no strings' deals are available in some locations. Free is apparently better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Don't ask me why, it's an English thing :)

I went to one of these properties the other day in Jamaica that was peanuts a day, but it was some all-inclusive place but it didn't mention how much all that cost. Mentioned that was extra. Plenty, I am sure. :) But I couldn't find anything that indicated any rates. Do you have to call? Oh, and "poke in the eye," I know that one. But how about: I know it's not really free, and Bob's your uncle. :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On Interval, when you book an all inclusive resort, they show the fees, which are very expensive. Most people avoid AI, although they are popular with some people who like to drink, because alcohol is included.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I went to one of these properties the other day in Jamaica that was peanuts a day, but it was some all-inclusive place but it didn't mention how much all that cost. Mentioned that was extra. Plenty, I am sure. :) But I couldn't find anything that indicated any rates. Do you have to call? Oh, and "poke in the eye," I know that one. But "Bob's your uncle?" ???
If you click through the booking to about the 3rd page you will come to Important Advisements. In fact it won't let you move on until you said you read and agree to the terms. It is fairly small print but it is listed by unit size and date. Usually listed as per person per day. They will also indicated if there are other requirements like 7 days required even when booking fewer days or price per person based on double occupancy or x size units requires a minimum of y adults paying the AI fee, etc.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I've found the AI for a week to be in the THOUSANDS for a family of 4-5. We avoid them. Definitely defeats the whole purpose of a TS.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I've found the AI for a week to be in the THOUSANDS for a family of 4-5. We avoid them. Definitely defeats the whole purpose of a TS.

I agree. I've tried and tried to use one of my "complimentary" II accommodation certificates, but my searches never yield anything of interest beyond AI resorts. The listing price always looks GREAT (less than $50/night), but when I read the fine print, then start doing the math on the mandatory AI fees, I go :eek:. Who do they think they're fooling? These certificates are little more than loss leaders.

Although I can see the appeal of knowing ahead of time how much you're going to spend, the $100+ fee per person per day made no fiscal sense to me, especially since my normal breakfast costs less than $2, and a typical lunch costs lost than $10. I love packing picnic lunches on vacations and hitting the beach. Or, alternatively, picking a local dive bar and chowing down on local cuisine and a drink that the bartender recommends. I love that TSs, with their full kitchens, allow me the freedom to decide.

IMO, AIs not only defeat the whole purpose of a TS, but it also defeats one of my major joys of traveling, which is exploring a new place and new culture. I want to see the sites, eat in local restaurants, strike up a conversation with locals and other travelistas....The last thing I want to do on my vacation is to travel 1000 miles only to feel handcuffed to my resort because I stupidly pre-paid for 3 overly indulgent meals + enough cheap liquor to down a rhino.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I like a nice AI every few years. An exchange into an AI never makes sense but a Getaway plus AI can be less than booking the AI direct especially if you are using FF air ticket. Don't think of it as a meal plan. Think of the Getaway fee + AI fee as the price to book. Then the $200 getaway plus $1400-$2200 AI for 2 might be worth it when booking an AI hotel that normally goes for $3000-$4000 for the week for 2. I usually wouldn't choose an AI for a place I have never been as I like to explore too but sometimes I really just want to do nothing but relax and have the big decisions for the evening to be which of 5-7 restaurants to go to and do I want to go to piano bar or the comedy show afterward. During the day, would I rather take the morning or afternoon snorkel trip or would I rather paddle board or sea kayak after the included lessons. If I want to to be more active I can hit a yoga class on the beach in the morning or take a guided bike tour through the area or try out the rock climbing wall.

I average 3-6 timeshare trips a year and sometimes I am tired of cooking for the family. We usually eat out one lunch and one dinner. Everything else is in the room or packed from the room to eat while out.

Even a fairly budgety trip of eating out with tax and tip in a nice resort setting can end up being $50-$60 a person per day just for lunch and dinner with a soda or ice tea with the meal. When staying at the Grand Vista in Orlando if we wanted to eat on site having a nice meal would cost that even without adult beverages. Sometimes you want to sit by the pool and have a waiter come take your order and you can order a fresh fruity drink -which I usually get 2 a day one virgin and one with a splash of alcohol (not a big drinker myself) at an AI because during the rest of the year, I only order those kind of $10 plus drinks maybe twice a year when I find it on a good happy hour.

There is a perception that you have to drink enough "cheap liquor to down a rhino" and to overeat at every meal in order to get your moneys worth. To me that's like saying I would need to never leave my $1000-$2000 timeshare resort and unit in order to get my money's worth because I could stay in a budget chain off the beach and bus to the public beach and other places and be free to explore more without feeling I am wasting my money on my resort and unit that I am not using.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
I like an "all inclusive" once in awhile; they include water sports, entertainment, etc. besides liquor and meals. I don't like cooking on vacations, but breakfasts and the occasional lunch is okay. Though it depends on what it costs, and where it is. In Jamaica, an AI works a lot of the time. But it's overpriced, that's a different story.