• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval international unit size upgrade fee??

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I just tried to retrade my confirmed exchange before the fee, it seems I have to pay $99 upgrade fee too.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
II posted this today on the II community :
Hello Interval members,

We have heard your concerns and apologize for not providing advance notice about the new unit-size upgrade fee. We assure you that we will improve our communications in the future.

Prior to launching this fee, we reviewed data and conducted member research to better understand member behavior and inventory utilization. We learned that members often confirm larger units than are necessary to accommodate their travel party. This finding, along with the fact that points-based members already relinquish more points when receiving a larger unit, the trend toward shorter booking windows, and other factors, influenced the introduction of the unit-size upgrade fee. As always, if a unit-size upgrade is offered during Flexchange, there is no additional fee.

The unit-size upgrade fee supports Interval’s commitment to providing comparable exchanges to members around the world. Our inventory control and optimization processes are designed to create the greatest number of exchange opportunities possible for members, while maintaining fairness across the system.

For more information, please see “Inventory Control and Optimization – Comparable Exchange for Weeks Ownership” in the Document Library.
View attachment 2724

Thank you for your input, participation in Community, and membership in Interval International.

If you fill out the resort evaluation form after a stay, there is a place to indicate the unit type you had and if it was comfortable for the size of your party. They do have a place in the evaluation to input the size of the traveling party.

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that internal not notifying members ahead of time was not cool to say the least.

However, I am in the minority as I don't mind paying for an upgrade if I need it. I have traded my 2 bedroom SVV unit for 2 units under the old xyz program to get a 1 bedroom and studio multiple times when there hasn't been 2 bedroom availability when I wanted to go. These were in high demand areas for an exact week I wanted. I was able to do this way in advance to book airfare so I saved money on tickets. Also, as an example our Aruba trip was the best ever as we stayed at the Aruba Ocean Club during the Aruba Film festival one year (and my husband's birthday) and got to walk the red carpet with other celebrities. To me, it was worth every penny I spent extra to get the room I wanted and time frame for those memories.

That said, I believe that Interval should compensate its members who have to trade down. It is kind of unfair really. I believe they should have to either:
1. Give them some credit on the exchange fee,
2. Give them an AC, or
3. Offer them a 1 bedroom for the cost of an exchange fee somewhere else.

However, I am glad that during flexchange, the fee disappears. I think interval is attempting to force people to deposit their full unit without locking off in an attempt to allow for larger units for exchanging purposes, and stop people from getting great upgrades. I think people forget that Interval is a business and it will do what it feels is best to increase its bottom line. In the past, the old xyz and 2 for 1 xyzs benefited me...and lots others I am sure. Life is what it is. Personally I was more upset with II's last price increase to make an exchange than I am about this. If people feel differently, vote with your wallet. But I have to hand it to interval...I think in the long run it will work allowing for larger units in their inventory and help to quiet their clientele who have been unhappy and are not as savy as people on Tug. Just my 2 cents.

Anita

jhoug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wasn't seeing what I used to before this upgrade fee.

Live in Salt Lake City. I have a timeshare in PV, Mexico that is points based and floating weeks.
And sometimes I would deposit a studio, sometimes a 1 BR and sometimes a 2 BR. But to maximize my points or use up left over points was not always the best season or unit.

In the last year or so, noticed that the studio and sometimes even the 1 or 2 BR were not pulling/showing nearly the number or type of units that we had been able to see and book before. Such as off season 2 BR Park City Marriotts.
Although we got a 2 B Park City Marriott (last minute) once during ski season the last 2 nights of the 2002 Olympics with an off season studio, I didn't always expect these kind of finds.

Last 2 years almost have had studio deposists go unused because I couldn't find anything to exchange to because could only see studio units.

Now this even things out again, so I don't think I really mind the fee. Gives options of seeing what is available and picking the unit you want.

I don't always want to give up my Worldmark points even though they have better trading power because I can use more of those locally.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Live in Salt Lake City. I have a timeshare in PV, Mexico that is points based and floating weeks.
And sometimes I would deposit a studio, sometimes a 1 BR and sometimes a 2 BR. But to maximize my points or use up left over points was not always the best season or unit.

In the last year or so, noticed that the studio and sometimes even the 1 or 2 BR were not pulling/showing nearly the number or type of units that we had been able to see and book before. Such as off season 2 BR Park City Marriotts.
Although we got a 2 B Park City Marriott (last minute) once during ski season the last 2 nights of the 2002 Olympics with an off season studio, I didn't always expect these kind of finds.

Last 2 years almost have had studio deposists go unused because I couldn't find anything to exchange to because could only see studio units.

Now this even things out again, so I don't think I really mind the fee. Gives options of seeing what is available and picking the unit you want.

I don't always want to give up my Worldmark points even though they have better trading power because I can use more of those locally.

When II merged with VRI they took on this upgrade thing. More fees make for less exchanges for me thru II.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
If you fill out the resort evaluation form after a stay, there is a place to indicate the unit type you had and if it was comfortable for the size of your party. They do have a place in the evaluation to input the size of the traveling party.

I thought of this too as the possible source of II's supposed data, but wonder how many people fill these out and if they do, how honest they are. Personally I have fibbed on that form on occasion, when I've traveled on my own and don't want II to know that (not really sure why). I once had a 4BR unit at Little Gull Cottages in FL all to myself when I attended a conference in nearby Sarasota.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We almost always are. For the four of us, we consider a 2BR to be the smallest acceptable unit---and nearly all of those sleep at least six.

Exactly. Who wants to use the sofa beds if they don't have to? Private sleeping capacity I agree with but that does happen too. Who would take a 1BR if they can have a 2BR for the same price? Others may or may not join but at least there is the option.

Last edited:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I just uptraded my studio for a 2 bedroom and paid the fee. I'm not happy about the fee but feel it is well worth it. This way I don't have the nail bitting I had in the past waiting for flex and getting up at 3am until I snagged it. As I'm curious, I will continue to see what's available during flex each morning, but will not set the alarm!

Now I'll need to decide whether it is worth paying the fee or depositing both my 2 bedroom Shadow Ridge units instead of splitting one and exchanging the other for the 75K Marriott Reward Points. I'm leaning towards depositing both 2 bedrooms in the future. I'll have to check with DH to see how the $ work under each scenario. $300 upgrade fee (for studio and 1 bedroom to 2 bedroom units) or 75K MAR points.

Ingrid

dukebigtom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This simply stinks. I thought RCI was getting ridiculous with their exchange fees and loved II because it provides top notch resorts at reasonable exchange fees. Last year I deposited 3 weeks to II, all 2 bedroom units. Looks like I will not be depositing any this year. Adding extra fees like this diminishes the value of my membership. It is like the checked baggage fees and other hidden costs that the airline industry charges. I will go out of my way to use Southwest Airlines whenever possible because when I look at the price, I don't have to do a lot of calculations and messing around to compare with others. The price is the price.

A sad day indeed.

BigTom

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This simply stinks. I thought RCI was getting ridiculous with their exchange fees and loved II because it provides top notch resorts at reasonable exchange fees. Last year I deposited 3 weeks to II, all 2 bedroom units. Looks like I will not be depositing any this year. Adding extra fees like this diminishes the value of my membership. It is like the checked baggage fees and other hidden costs that the airline industry charges. I will go out of my way to use Southwest Airlines whenever possible because when I look at the price, I don't have to do a lot of calculations and messing around to compare with others. The price is the price.

A sad day indeed.

BigTom

If you deposited 3 two bedroom units and exchanged into 3 two bedroom units then this new fee would not effect you. Were you locking off and making more than 3 exchanges or exchanging into three bedroom units?

gatorray

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, this company is already making a ton of money and it's indeed a very sad day.

I wonder if they will still charge this fee, for those resorts that only have 2 bedroom units?

They most certainly do. Even when you submit a lock off from a platinum season in Florida in the dead of winter and seek an exchange in South Carolina in the late spring, you will pay a serious fee for the "privilege" of exchanging The lock off for the minimum accommodation in South Carolina, namely a two bedroom villa. This new fee policy was instituted June 26, 2016 without any notification to its members and certainly without notifying us when we submitted the exchange after paying Marriott to split the unit and then again paid Interval to get the villa in Myrtle Beach in March of this year. Unethical? Sounds like it to me. Do they care about their customers/members? Certainly not! Renting ones lockout and purchasing a rental week from a third-party is the way to go imho. Bypass Interval. Apparently they can add fees for any reason at any time even after an exchange is submitted. I call that fraudulent. Its implied contract is, in fact, breeched. Why do business with an unethical company? If you have a few weeks, let me tell you what I really think!

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
Dropped II

Once II started charging the fee upfront for an exchange, I stopped depositing with them. I kept the membership and still use them now for getaways, but since those have been getting more expensive I will quit doing that and drop II altogether. There are plenty of great rentals here on tug and exchanges as well, so I will forego all these ridiculous fees. Yes, they are running a business - but shop around folks, and you'll see you can get great deals on 4 star hotels almost anywhere you want to go and unless you are at your home resort, you'll pay more than you'll pay with your MFs and all those fees!

Instead, I have sold off units and dropped down only to those I want to use personally. I love my Inn at the Opera in SF (although I always have to explain how it is used to the Shell Vacation people) and my Royal Holiday. I know RH has a bad rep, but it has more cities than anyone but Wyndham (maybe even more than Wyndham) and costs a WHOLE lot less to buy if you pick it up resale on ebay and I think the MFs are less as well. :wall:

DanH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II, Palm Desert, CA
Eagle Crest, Redmond, OR
Yeah, II is a disapointment

Yeah, II keeps making changes that don't help its members - I'm planning not to renew my II membership next time it is up. There are so many other exchange options.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Yeah, II keeps making changes that don't help its members - I'm planning not to renew my II membership next time it is up. There are so many other exchange options.

Companies will continue to charge the fees and continue to get as much money out of the consumer as they can until the consumer votes with their wallet and moves on to other options or exchange companies.

I will going forward be using my units, renting them out, or exchanging with other exchanges.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
This change is awful for us, and we will be depositing much less often to II going forward.

The RCI system accounts for quality somewhat and especially season of units when assigning TPUs, which is a good and fair system for an exchange company that charges an annual fee. With some units we have that are accepted by RCI, that allows us to deposit studios and 1 bedrooms from high season, high quality areas and resorts, and use the fairly assigned TPUs to trade up to 2 and 3 bedrooms, in off seasons and sometimes at resorts that are not as high quality. These are often in areas that II does not have units, and those tradeoffs are worth it to us.

II used to somewhat simulate this trading power effect by enabling studios and 1 bedrooms from high quality resorts and areas in good seasons to trade for 2 and sometimes 3 bedrooms without upgrade fees, often in off seasons or at lesser resorts. Now they're taking this away, charging upgrade fees for any room size regardless of quality or season, on top of their annual fee? We're hugely reducing our heavy II use because of this going forward.

Unfortunately, you cannot just always vote with your feet. I'd love to have the choice to deposit Marriotts and others to RCI as an alternative to II and the DC program for many of our trades, but the exclusive agreements prevent that. We will use DC more now, but often we're looking to trade into places that do not have Marriott timeshares.

We also use smaller trading companies, but they have no required annual fee, which makes it easier to accept uptrade fees, and lesser resorts generally. If they charge too much for room size upgrades, forget it.

I would prefer that II adapt a TPU-like system, as well as show all inventory like RCI does instead of relying on blind requests that leave a lot of uncertainty when planning multiple trades. This would fairly account for trading power and remove room upgrade fees, but acknowledge those factors through TPU assignments that account for the quality of what you deposit, and what you can trade into and can receive for your deposit.

This is a really bad move by II that has soured me on them big time.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
More off season large units will sit. I wonder if this will lead to a decrease in the trading power for 3 br off season weeks. I am sure II will have no problem selling them as getaways.

When you say sit what do you mean? On Interval? Or as resales? I understand Interval because it will cost more $$ to trade up. But have trouble understanding the resale part. My thinking is a three bedroom off Season like my Surfwatch Silver can now trade for other three bedroom villas Without any additional fee.

BLKBRD370

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow - I must have missed this change. When did this start?

At first I thought not too bad, assuming this fee is for size upgrades that my original unit didn't have the power to pull. But, I just looked at Orlando low demand periods that I could pull 3 BR options with my 1BR. Now, looks like I need to pay for it.

Yep, sad day, especially knowing that I would probably take advantage of it! But, what this may do is stop the purchase of buying E-Trade and obsessively looking for a larger unit daily! That would be ok.
If you are looking for a 3BR unit which has a Lock-Off to the Studio please contact me. My home Unit is at Ocean Gate Resort, St. Augustine, FL but can be exchanged for a Resort of your choice.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
When you say sit what do you mean? On Interval? Or as resales? I understand Interval because it will cost more $$ to trade up. But have trouble understanding the resale part. My thinking is a three bedroom off Season like my Surfwatch Silver can now trade for other three bedroom villas Without any additional fee.

I mean sit online in II inventory. Snapping up a 2 or even 3 bedroom Marriott Hilton Head of fseason was always easy enough (and cost effective enough) using a studio but now I think members will think twice before paying $200+ on upgrades using a studio or by exchanging with a larger unit. Same with off season Orlando, Williamsburg or similar.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mean sit online in II inventory. Snapping up a 2 or even 3 bedroom Marriott Hilton Head of fseason was always easy enough (and cost effective enough) using a studio but now I think members will think twice before paying $200+ on upgrades using a studio or by exchanging with a larger unit. Same with off season Orlando, Williamsburg or similar.

I know what you mean. We go to Williamsburg every 2 or 3 years, specifically for an event that's off season. I know we need a 2-bedroom for our next trip, hoping to do that with an E-Plus exchange.

I wish they would make an exception when you can't exchange like for like in these instances.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
After some thought on this issue, I actually think it's a reasonable change. While many of us were able to get larger units in exchange for smaller for many years, it was always perceived as a significant benefit to II membership. The new fees are not extreme, and an extra ~$9/night to upgrade to the next larger unit size doesn't seem out of line to me. If II convinced itself that it needs to make more money then this is a fair way of doing it...those who don't need larger units won't pay any extra, and only those who benefit will pay for it. I like this better than just another across the board exchange fee increase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's $14 per night if you don't have an upgraded II membership. Personally I think it would be more reasonable to get one size upgrade with no charge and then start charging when going up two or more and there should be sales of off season inventory (which may rarely include Marriotts and VSE) at resorts and locations with a lot of excess units that allows for double upgrades without fees. It shouldn't cost less for a getaway with exchange inventory than using even a studio plus exchange feel. If it costs $467 plus any kind of exchange be it points or a studio and the same 3 br unit is available as a getaway for $397 or so there is something wrong. An exchange should always get you at least $100 off the standard Getaway rental fee for exchange inventory.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
After some thought on this issue, I actually think it's a reasonable change. While many of us were able to get larger units in exchange for smaller for many years, it was always perceived as a significant benefit to II membership. The new fees are not extreme, and an extra ~$9/night to upgrade to the next larger unit size doesn't seem out of line to me. If II convinced itself that it needs to make more money then this is a fair way of doing it...those who don't need larger units won't pay any extra, and only those who benefit will pay for it. I like this better than just another across the board exchange fee increase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completely agree with you. We control our own costs with this change. Most of the time I do not anticipate paying the extra charge. If I really need it, I will pay it.

I don't understand why there isn't a credit for downsizing though.

MissRumphius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
FYI - . I have been keeping a list of nicer studios for a while since my studios have always been a difficult trade, and I will be using my one bedrooms to trade into other one bedroom units, since we are ok with those most of the time. .

I think this a great idea from kipca - I started a thread "Where are the good studios and one bedrooms" over in "EXCHANGING" that discusses studios and one bedrooms specifically. I think that would be helpful to those of us who actually are ok with the smaller units but sometimes have difficulty knowing where to find the good ones.