• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

International Market Place Status

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read the International Market Place will close soon, be demolished and replaced with a high scale shopping center. Does anyone know the date it closes? We will be there in January and my wife is hoping for one more spin around the shops. I'll miss the nightly entertainment in the food court.

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
All the tenants had vacate orders for before Christmas 2013. They were giving extensions for hardship cases till Christmas so it will be gone by the time you are there. We were there right after thanksgiving and it was a shell of its former self.

Ian

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is so sad!!! I loved that place!! I didn't realize it was closing although I knew there was talk of it. We are taking our adult daughters to Oahu for their first ever trip this year - I'm sad they won't get to see the market.

:(

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Its long overdue for an overhaul. The first time we were there was almost 40 years ago and then it was a true marketplace where you could buy everything. Today almost every vendor sells the same 'made in china' imitation souvenirs (i.e. junk) and coupled with the worn and decaying buildings themselves, the luster is long gone from the place.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Its long overdue for an overhaul. The first time we were there was almost 40 years ago and then it was a true marketplace where you could buy everything. Today almost every vendor sells the same 'made in china' imitation souvenirs (i.e. junk) and coupled with the worn and decaying buildings themselves, the luster is long gone from the place.

I completely agree. I had raved about the place to friends traveling with us for their first time to Oahu. Then we got there, and it was nothing like I remembered it. (I hadn't been in the place for a long time.) All I saw was the same crappy stalls selling the same crappy junk. I don't think we bought anything. Seriously disappointing.

Snippets of memories... Back in the day, (late 60's, when I was in high school on Oahu) it was where I bought my first Crazy Shirt t-shirt. It was where I took a tourist girl I met at the Honolulu Zoo to experience her first teriyaki hamburger. It was where I bought woven flip-flop Hawaiian "slippahs." It was where my parents took every relative who came to visit us (and get a cheap vacation) so they could experience the fun of the place.

Sad to think it'll all be gone, but my memories will live on. :)

Dave

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is sad. They could have made adjustments to improve it and left it pretty much as is. But it's all about the money and the catering to the big bucks spenders. DW said we might as well go to other islands instead.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it may be all the same stuff, but you could not walk there from your hotel in Waikiki.

Plus, who usually goes on vacation to go to swap meets?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thanks for posting this even though some people cant help being seagulls.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me it's sad. If anyone went there years ago, it looks well, different. Like the way I felt after they turned underground Atlanta into, well the bar where old red played the piano, the last time I was there was a 1 hour photo shop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I think we can blame the stagnant Japanese economy for the new International Market Place. Designer clothing/goods prices in Hawaii are to Japanese tourists what liquor prices in the Caribbean are to American tourists. The prices are so low compared to what you pay at home that you feel like a kid at Christmas!

When I was in Oahu in December, I felt like a minority among the throngs of Asian tourists, all walking around with shopping bags from stores that I couldn't afford to shop in, and stopping every few feet to take videos/photos on their iPhones. They seemed absolutely enchanted with Oahu.

We also met a man in our hotel elevator who had a (literal) cart full of huge Godiva chocolate boxes. I still wonder what he was going to do with them. Put them in guest rooms as party favors for his daughter's wedding (there are a TON of weddings at Hilton Hawaiian Village)? Ship them home? Eat them?

Anyway, while I'D never go to Hawaii to go clothes shopping, I understand the appeal for people who already live on an island in the Pacific. I also understand the sadness of seeing iconic landmarks go the way of the bulldozer.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
It really is sad to see the "Aloha" sign at the entrance replaced with "Saks Fifth Avenue". That alone says much about the atmosphere of the new place. I am happy to see that the banyan tree looks healthy.

Banyan_0.JPG

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I think we can blame the stagnant Japanese economy for the new International Market Place. Designer clothing/goods prices in Hawaii are to Japanese tourists what liquor prices in the Caribbean are to American tourists. The prices are so low compared to what you pay at home that you feel like a kid at Christmas!

Yes, Americans aren't the target audience.
Does anyone know where the vendors went?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes, Americans aren't the target audience.

That was pretty apparent when we visited Honolulu March 2015. I hadn't been there in quite a few years and was shocked at how much it had changed. High end stores lined the main street and you couldn't even see the ocean from the street.

Yes, to me, it's very sad.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Does anyone know where the vendors went?

Many of them are in a corridor called Duke's Lane/Duke's Marketplace next to the Holiday Inn and only a block from the International Marketplace.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
It really is sad to see the "Aloha" sign at the entrance replaced with "Saks Fifth Avenue". That alone says much about the atmosphere of the new place. I am happy to see that the banyan tree looks healthy.

Banyan_0.JPG
Thank goodness that they left the Banyan tree!

It is true that shopping is a bargain for the Japanese. We met a lady once with her daughter and she told us that they go shopping twice a year in Honolulu as that is cheaper than buying these products at home plus they have a free vacation.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Many of them are in a corridor called Duke's Lane/Duke's Marketplace next to the Holiday Inn and only a block from the International Marketplace.

Thanks Linsj :)

TEK224

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sad

I just returned from Oahu and was sad to see the difference in the Marketplace.
When I walked in and saw the Christian Loubitin store, I knew the place wasn't for me. I miss the atmosphere from the old Marketplace.
I went to the Made in Hawaii festival and the Aloha Stadium flea market to purchase items from local merchants. I think everything I bought during my trip, except 1 or 2 things, was made in Hawaii.