• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In-Laws Gifting Us 105K Points - Should we accept?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wydham Plus Points
Hi everyone,

Newbie here, and apologies in advance for not doing thorough due diligence on the forum in advance of posting this question. I just discovered this forum as we are about to submit some paperwork to accept transfer of 105K Club Wyndham Access points. We currently would have 210K points available (I assume they did not use the points last year).

My in-laws paid $15K or thereabouts for these points. After just a few minutes on this site, my assessment is that they were taken advantage of and should never have done it, but we are years beyond that.

They are elderly, no longer travel much, and would like to gift us the points (and have us take over the maintenance fee, which is approx. $60/mo).

My wife is about to send in the signed documents accepting the transfer. My questions are:

1. Are we making a huge mistake? I'm thinking not, since we aren't paying anything beyond the maintenance fee, but who knows, maybe the maintenance fee is also way overpriced? Are there other "gotchas" that we will be on the hook for by accepting this transfer?

2. I will review the site for additional information, but if anyone has a recommendation for a particular post related to this scenario, I would happily take the suggestion.

Thank you!

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Newbie here, and apologies in advance for not doing thorough due diligence on the forum in advance of posting this question. I just discovered this forum as we are about to submit some paperwork to accept transfer of 105K Club Wyndham Access points. We currently would have 210K points available (I assume they did not use the points last year).

My in-laws paid $15K or thereabouts for these points. After just a few minutes on this site, my assessment is that they were taken advantage of and should never have done it, but we are years beyond that.

They are elderly, no longer travel much, and would like to gift us the points (and have us take over the maintenance fee, which is approx. $60/mo).

My wife is about to send in the signed documents accepting the transfer. My questions are:

1. Are we making a huge mistake? I'm thinking not, since we aren't paying anything beyond the maintenance fee, but who knows, maybe the maintenance fee is also way overpriced? Are there other "gotchas" that we will be on the hook for by accepting this transfer?

2. I will review the site for additional information, but if anyone has a recommendation for a particular post related to this scenario, I would happily take the suggestion.

Thank you!

If you like to travel, take it.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Basicly you are getting 105K points per year .. but 210K if your MIL 'stashed' the 2016 points with RCI or the did a Credit Pool within the Wyndham system?

Have you LOOKED and STUDIED the Wyndham's Member Directory? .. which I call the pretty picture book of resorts and their charts with points needed to stay at the resorts in different size unit and seasons of the year. Where you live and what the nearby 'drive to' resorts you are most likely to visit? When airfare has to be used ... that plus a rental car for each stay becomes MORE SUNK costs plus MFs for the stay.

Most of my ownerships are on South Florida ... am here now ... only because I got a $58 flight down and $129 flight back. Last minute (2 days before flying out). Plus I use the public bus system to get to & from the airport ($2 each way now). Hope it does NOT RAIN today ... spent most of yesterday in a local watering hole.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wydham Plus Points
One clarification based on a prior reply. These are not "additional points" coming our way. These would be our first points.

I have quickly reviewed the member directory. Lots of nice places we could go, but I cannot say I have studied it. It does not appear that my mother in-law's ownership is linked to a specific Wyndham property, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Also not sure about the RCI or credit pool questions. This caught me by surprise, so I am scrambling to make some sense of this while my wife is out having the transfer doc. notarized.

Seems like I can add on to the 105K points if we want, by purchasing via resale/eBay. So I am inclined to go ahead with it, but I saw enough "JUST RESCIND BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!" emails that I was spooked about even accepting the gift at no charge! :ponder:

Thanks all for your quick replies. Looking into the transfer fee now.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not worry about the "Just resend before it's to late" chatter. You indicated that this was a Club Wyndham Access contract, there is no specific resort ownership. You own a piece of what Club Wyndham Access owns at their resorts and can book thought the Club Wyndham Plus system at the 10 month point, with some exceptions.

Credit Pool is done as a feature, you will be under their new system where you can change the current use year to a future one in the next two years. This can be done once for the points involved in moving them forward. Moving points to RCI can be a expensive proposition. Just use them in the Wyndham Club Plus system.

Would not buy anything else at this point until you decide to use what you are taking over on a consistent basis and the new Wyndham Club Plus website and associated changes are rolled out or until the end of the year, whichever comes first.

Before you submit the paperwork, use the point in the existing credit pool, if any. By report, there may be a chance that they will be lost during the transfer process. If you still have the capability to Credit Pool the 2018 points you may want to consider putting your name on the contract with them with them then just take over paying the maintenance fees.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
WyndhamFromIn-Laws,

Wyndham ownership is NOT a BAD thing. It just is a time sensitive item (and many consider not a necessary thing like food, shelter & water). It is a luxury item, as is a cruising each year or a yearly trip to Walt Disney World.

Many owners feel they MUST plan at least 10 months in advance, stay for a full week, checkin only on FRI, SAT and maybe, some resorts, on SUN .. for 7 night stays. And some places require 13 month advance planning. And if you have only 1 or 2 Wyndham resorts within driving range, you might feel that those 'exotic' vacations are NOT worth flying and renting a car (like to Hawaii for 1 week). Or if you love or want to travel Europe or Asia or cruise, you have to DO SOMETHING with that timeshare during those years. But you still have to keep your MFs paid up PLUS pay for those other trips.

Planning is the KEY. Planning sometimes 3+ years in advance.​

I have taken nieces and nephews on solo trips with me .... great trip staying at DVC with that 12yo nephew but the trip with his 13 yo brother to Ft Lauderdale was great, too (snokeling plus the Everglades tour & airboat ride). Or the 18yo niece from 3000 miles away who was stunned when I did not rent a car in Ft Lauderdale, but we rode the public bus everywhere ... she lives in Portland where she has NO CAR and been doing the public transportation for years now.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not worry about the "Just resend before it's to late" chatter. You indicated that this was a Club Wyndham Access contract, there is no specific resort ownership. You own a piece of what Club Wyndham Access owns at their resorts and can book thought the Club Wyndham Plus system at the 10 month point, with some exceptions.

Credit Pool is done as a feature, you will be under their new system where you can change the current use year to a future one in the next two years. This can be done once for the points involved in moving them forward. Moving points to RCI can be a expensive proposition. Just use them in the Wyndham Club Plus system.

Would not buy anything else at this point until you decide to use what you are taking over on a consistent basis and the new Wyndham Club Plus website and associated changes are rolled out or until the end of the year, whichever comes first.

Before you submit the paperwork, use the point in the existing credit pool, if any. By report, there may be a chance that they will be lost during the transfer process. If you still have the capability to Credit Pool the 2018 points you may want to consider putting your name on the contract with them with them then just take over paying the maintenance fees.
Corrections

You can't rescind a gift from family. Wyndham won't honor if you try to rescind a family gift.

You can't change a current use year to a future use year.

It's free to deposit points into RCI.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Hey, Paxsarah - - -

This is exactly the type of posting we now have. Off topic, and likely misleading information. The reports of "cyber bullying" this poster "have been greatly exaggerated" (with credit given to Mark Twain). I agree that the comments made by others about his posting (including my comments now) could be construed as offensive, if it were any other poster. However, he appears impervious to it.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Developer points? Done deal.

Agreed. It ain't a huge sum of points, but for family transfer, it should retain developer sales status, and the $299 fee should be waived by Wyndham.