• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II: deposit vs. trade

mom25

Reaction score
We have a gold week timeshare at the end of June that we will not be using (it is 2 bedrooms plus a den, sleeps 8) due to our kids school schedule. We have an II membership and plan to use it to book a different trip in likely May to Florida. We got an email from II that if we deposit our week now, we will get a bonus week (recognizing that it has limitations). What I can't figure out is whether we should deposit our week (getting the bonus week) or do a trade? when is it better to do a trade, and when is it better to deposit? Any advice would be most appreciated!

thanks

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In this case when you deposit, you get both a bonus week (that you get to book available inventory for an AC fee) and trade (for an exchange fee). Essentially you get 2 trades out of it. Bonus week/Accomodation Certificate is more restrictive in what you can book for and it is also more expensive than an exchange fee. The deposited week gets whatever trading power of the week that comes with and you pay an exchange fee to do so.

mom25

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help, that is great. So, I am assuming I am always best to use the AC week if it is possible first, then use my trade week (as it would have more flexibility, right)? What happens if you deposit but don't book a trade week within the year? This is our first year of the TS, it was essentially gifted to us, and is time limited (was a 40 year lease back in the day) so has about 7 years left I think.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, AC generally can see less inventory and a shorter timeframe that you can use before it expires. When you deposit, your week for that year's use is gone/taken. What you can trade for has an expiration date as well, usually 2 years out. You do want to deposit early for better trading power. If you let it expire, then it is gone. II also lets you extend the deposit for another year for a fee and it also becomes more restrictive (like you can only see inventory within 60 days of travel date).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you won't be using the week, I would go ahead and deposit it and get the AC. The AC does have limitation and they usually have pretty high redemption fees. ACs for deposit usually have tiered redemption fees and a 2BR redemption can still be pretty high. YOu should be able to use it to Florida in May except for at the more premier properties. Keep in mind though that a getaway may be the same cost as using the AC. Then save the actual deposited week for somewhere else that is a little harder to trade than May in Florida.

Almond123

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fanta Sea Resorts, Flagship Atlantic City;
The Bay Club at Waikoloa, HGVC;
Ka'anapali Beach Resort, DRI;
I also received the offer for a bonus A c week if I deposited my week. The stipulations for my deposit was I had to deposit before February 24th and I had to use the week for an exchange between the dates of June 1st and Audust 29 before I would get the bonus AC week. Maybe they do different stipulations for different members but I do not get the bonus week if I don't comply with the stipulations. I am not sure it is the same way for everyone.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I also received the offer for a bonus A c week if I deposited my week. The stipulations for my deposit was I had to deposit before February 24th and I had to use the week for an exchange between the dates of June 1st and Audust 29 before I would get the bonus AC week. Maybe they do different stipulations for different members but I do not get the bonus week if I don't comply with the stipulations. I am not sure it is the same way for everyone.
Are you sure it wasn't that you had to deposit a week before 2/24 that had a checkin date between 6/1 and 8/29? I have never seen an AC offer that stipulated you had to actually do an exchange by a certain date.

Almond123

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fanta Sea Resorts, Flagship Atlantic City;
The Bay Club at Waikoloa, HGVC;
Ka'anapali Beach Resort, DRI;
You may be correct and I printed the terms and conditions but didn't keep the printout. I go in to see if I can find them in my account but now that the week is deposited the terms don't appear any longer. I do remember it saying what you said and I think I misunderstood what it was telling me. I read checkin date and thought that was when I had to check in for what I was exchanging to. I learned something new again and I always appreciate everyone's information I find here. The best thing I ever did was to join TUG and I get useful information daily. Thank you and Happy New Year.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Thanks so much for your help, that is great. So, I am assuming I am always best to use the AC week if it is possible first, then use my trade week (as it would have more flexibility, right)? What happens if you deposit but don't book a trade week within the year? This is our first year of the TS, it was essentially gifted to us, and is time limited (was a 40 year lease back in the day) so has about 7 years left I think.

Correct. However, there's more to it. The AC will see much less, but they have been seeing more than in the past with the most current one. Take a look at this thread http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/part-4-more-random-good-stuff-seen-with-ii-ac.248534/ to get an idea. Note: this is in the sightings section and you need to be a member of tug to see this. Also note that lots of the really good stuff shows up with less than a week notice. What's available on the AC will change over time with more locations added within 2 months or so so keep checking.
Florida, especially Orlando, is more likely to be available via the AC. So put an ongoing search in for the harder to get locations now and then work the AC for something in an area with lots of timeshares.

Sue