• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

IBEX INC - (SCAM)

SubVet608

Reaction score
I just re-read my post, and have to admit, it was a really bad firehose-type post. I get why some of the responses were quite terse. I was brought to this thread from a google search on Ibex, and didn't look elsewhere. I suppose it was a manifestation of my frustrations. I also just looked at the post (link) by LannyPC, and was encouraged by the posts from those who were successful. I'll review the rest of the site upon my return from my sail. I trust I will have a successful end to my plight. Please, no need to respond to this particular post, but please just accept my apologies without rebuttal ... and I hope to converse more positively on other threads, and avoid those that concentrate on scams.

Cheers

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm about to take a sail (sailboat) transient on the Atlantic. Upon my return, I'll look at the link provided and see what all those are saying about selling (offloading as it were) their timeshares and, perhaps, determine if the results will be counter to the unsuccessful "avenues I've reviewed."

I had a feeling you might be legit with your fist post, but this one has me perplexed. It's not like you were jumping on the sailboat that minute. You posted again 12 hours later, and then again later that afternoon. What happened to the sailboat in the Atlantic?

You are local to me so shoot me a pm if you want me to help you "offload" your timeshare. I'll do it for a ride on the boat, seriously. A PM is free.

rpoyourow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice listening on on all this chatty stuff. Meanwhile back in the real world, I can report more [actual] information as I followed up the sales pitch. It's not good. I'll give you the names so you will recognize them should they contact you.

I received a follow-up call from an "Elizabeth Gonzalez" using the IBEX Investments phone number she used previously. (Not IBEX Realty). She told me to expect a call from Crossborder Investments, Inc. of Beverly Hills (actually, Century City), the same entity broker Don Hall had identified. She used the terms "title company" and "escrow" interchangeably. The next day, a "Daniel Ortiz" called and identified himself with Crossborder and sent me some paper work by email that provided telephone numbers and Crossborder's logo. The email stated that he would be my escrow agent.

When I spoke with him, I specifically asked him if Crossborder was an Escrow company and licensed in the state of California. He assured me it was (in addition to hustling me with the need to process papers quickly).

I checked the corporation records in California. Crossborder is an active Calif. corporation, founded in 2010. The registered agent is Jimmy Kim. Both Kim and the corporation are located at 1801 Century Blvd. East, Ste. 2500, Century City. Checking with the landlord, Barrister Executive Suites, Cross-Border rents a "virtual suite" at that location, but maintains no physical offices there. (Thus, raising questions whether IBEX Investments similarly occupies a "virtual suite" at its Illinois location. Don Hall's license information on the Illinois web site does not provide an office address.)

I found no listing for Crossborder as a licensed Escrow company.

I checked on the telephone numbers Daniel Ortiz gave me and that also appeared on the email. They are not registered to Crossborder, but to "PAETEC COMMUNICATIONS, INC. - CA." As reported by Ripoffreport, which I have not verified,
(http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports...ndstrea-paetec-aka-windstream-communic-862703)

“Paetec Communications owned now by Windstream Communications provides VoiP phone services. They sell these services to scammers who use their VoiP lines to call consumers in violation of the national do not call list. These scammers attempt to BS consumers out of credit card, bank account, and SSN info. The scammers use a variety of ruses such as a "free alarm sign in your yard and free alarm system", etc. “

So I also checked on the fax number used by Don Hall, the broker, and the internet site I consulted reported:
"847-886-0631 'This number belongs to LEVEL 3 COMMUNICATIONS, LLC – IL'”

None of this is conclusive, but that was enough for me. I wished there were some instances of people actually victimized by these entities, or more people who successfully concluded their sales with IBEX. No physical address, no office, no licensed escrow = no deal.

I am neither a shill or a troll, but a real person, retired, but licensed in the state of California. I use my real name. The "r" in my user name is an initial.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It should have been enough for you that someone was offered $250,000 USD for their timeshare! In no universe would that be remotely possible! If it was, I would be a billionaire overnight.

At some point logic must enter into the equation to separate the scammers from the bargain re-sellers. The mistake you made was not taking years of advice and spending hours doing due diligence on a blatantly obvious scam. Count yourself lucky that you didn't fall for it. Most people did not have the fortune of finding tug and they got scammed. You found it but ignored the advice and tried to give your money away anyway but thought better of it. DON'T DO IT!

rpoyourow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saintsfanfl:

No one offered me $250,000, you've confused my post with another. Too heavy on the judgment for my taste. Nor have I "tried to give my money away." You come across like an irritated old man.

I've done my "due diligence" and reported my findings. I use my real name and have been a member for a long time. A little more care from you is warranted.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wished there were some instances of...people who successfully concluded their sales with IBEX.

The only "people who successfully concluded their sales with IBEX" are probably victims of the scam. Why would you wish there were some instances of it?

rpoyourow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand. If they "successfully concluded their sales with IBEX," then they got their money, sold their positions, and we wouldn't call them victims. Nor would we call the transactions "scams." We have only one person who claims a success, and several here have called his bona fides into question. I wish there were more information and reports of successes that we could confirm.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saintsfanfl:

No one offered me $250,000, you've confused my post with another. Too heavy on the judgment for my taste. Nor have I "tried to give my money away." You come across like an irritated old man.

I've done my "due diligence" and reported my findings. I use my real name and have been a member for a long time. A little more care from you is warranted.

I didn't say you were offered $250k. I said "someone" was, which directed to you, means someone else. Another poster made the claim so they can only be a troll, a shill, or they were actually offered that. In the latter two cases it means the company is 100% bogus.

A little more care from me is warranted? I disagree. An obvious shill is called out and you jump in to defend them. I am going to call out the scam and the shill with reckless abandon. I offer no apology for trying to save someone thousands of dollars.

You may have joined 11 years ago but suddenly your very first post ever is to question that this company might be legitimate and you are doing it rather passionately. It is suspicious, and I do apologize for that, but it is.

Why would anyone in their right mind who is familiar with timeshares think that a company might be legitimate when they are offering more than what someone paid for their timeshare but only if a huge fee is wired internationally? Are you serious? It is a common scam and it has never turned out to be legitimate.

Ripoff Report - March 28, 2017
Company calls claiming to want to buy your timeshare in Mexico. Offers you twice what it is worth then tells you that you need to apply for an RLC number from the Mexican government which they will assist you with. Cost is $4,700 which they want you to wire to a bank in Mexico. They use their "Title" company called Cross Border Investments, www.crossborderinvestmentsinc.com, 1801 Century Park East, Suite 2500, Los Angeles, CA 90067. Did not send money but did file a complaint with the FTC.

http://ibexrealestate.com - Domain registered January 18, 2017
http://crossborderinvestmentsinc.com/ - Doman registered December 15, 2016

Come on man, this is laughable. Wake up or try another site to scam people.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand. If they "successfully concluded their sales with IBEX," then they got their money, sold their positions, and we wouldn't call them victims. Nor would we call the transactions "scams." We have only one person who claims a success, and several here have called his bona fides into question. I wish there were more information and reports of successes that we could confirm.

The company just popped up. One interesting "ponzi" tactic would be to actually pay a handful of people in the beginning and trigger amazing positive reports and then take the next several hundred for a couple million and disappear. I doubt that is what they are doing but it would be a brilliant criminal tactic.

SubVet608

Reaction score
I had a feeling you might be legit with your fist post, but this one has me perplexed. It's not like you were jumping on the sailboat that minute. You posted again 12 hours later, and then again later that afternoon. What happened to the sailboat in the Atlantic?

You are local to me so shoot me a pm if you want me to help you "offload" your timeshare. I'll do it for a ride on the boat, seriously. A PM is free.

Hello Saintsfanfl. I was not expecting anyone to take me literally when I mentioned I was "about" to sail. I was in Florida, at home at the time I posted, and the yacht was in Annapolis, MD, where it was stored. I was still in the throngs of the transient planning and caring for "last minute" issues regarding my crew. I was just taking care of the posts here, on the fly, so to speak, attempting to do damage control for my ill-advised initial post. Perhaps I should be more detailed in my posts (I try to keep them brief, oftentimes to no avail). In any event I've just returned to Florida, uh, actually, around mid-night, last night. I suppose I should be a little more careful in my use of figures of speech, such as "about," or "just."

Now, to the central theme of this thread, I do truly appreciate your offer to assist in the offloading a timeshare, and I will PM you once I take the time to organize my non-timeshare affairs here at home, including all the "honey-dos" from my wife and getting some golf in.

It was the Myan Palace in Mexico, just one of my timeshares, in which I received a call to purchase from Ibex. Interestingly, around the same time, I received a call from American Travel Plaza, Inc., (12600 Deerfield Pkwy Suite 100, Alpharetta, GA 30004), with a similar high dollar offer, albeit, $6,900 over and above the Ibex offer. Perhaps some list of folks owning timeshares was floated to these companies? Can I assume American Travel is a scam as well? I have not a clue. The rep for ATP agreed to wait until my return to Florida to discuss details further ... I'm expecting a call from him anytime now. Perhaps I should end all discussions with them after reading this thread about Ibex.

Both companies sent, via email, a so-called "Non Binding Document" to sign to agree to sell my timeshare through them, I suppose. I did not sign or return the documents to either. Thus my presence on this site. I still have to take the time to review the many relevant threads that may help me make a decision.

Again, I apologize for the inappropriate post earlier, and the misleading post about the timing of my sail.

Cheers!

SubVet608

Reaction score
Just re-read my last post. To clarify, the decision I have to make is NOT a decision to use these companies or not, I will not use either, based on the advice given here. The decision will be the best way the good folks here provide, such as contracting will someone on this site who is looking for a timeshare of the type I have.

I just don't want anyone here assuming that I support Ibex or American Travel Plaza, because I don't, and wish that to be crystal clear.

Cheers.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was the Myan Palace in Mexico....I received a call from American Travel Plaza, Inc., (12600 Deerfield Pkwy Suite 100, Alpharetta, GA 30004), with a similar high dollar offer, albeit, $6,900 over and above the Ibex offer. Perhaps some list of folks owning timeshares was floated to these companies? Can I assume American Travel is a scam as well? I have not a clue.

This definitely fits the pattern of a typical resale scam. First, an unsolicited phone call and second, an offer for way above market value.

No legitimate company is going to phone an owner of a low-value (maybe even zero-value) timeshare offering to pay tens of thousands for it.

And it is not likely that "some list of folks owning timeshares was floated to these companies". As has been discussed many times in these forums before, it is likely that owners' personal information (such as phone numbers) are taken by either employees at the resort or employees at the exchange companies (eg., RCI) and sold on the side to these scam operations.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
And it is not likely that "some list of folks owning timeshares was floated to these companies". As has been discussed many times in these forums before, it is likely that owners' personal information (such as phone numbers) are taken by either employees at the resort or employees at the exchange companies (eg., RCI) and sold on the side to these scam operations.

I think that's what SubVet608 was saying: That 'some' list of owners was 'floated' to the scam operations. (The list could have come from whatever source.)
At least that's how I interpreted the comment. ;)

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that's what SubVet608 was saying: That 'some' list of owners was 'floated' to the scam operations. (The list could have come from whatever source.)
At least that's how I interpreted the comment.

You could be right. I saw it as folks who own timeshares are sending out this info.

SubVet608

Reaction score
Certainly, I have no validated answers on this, it's all just conjecture on my part. My experience in previous research on a difference scenario is that some individuals/groups have resources to identify folks with specific profiles (e.g., purchase specific products, even timeshares) and sell lists of same to companies like Ibex or ATP. Again, it's just speculation and just adds to the conversation, which I trust is part of what this site is about, a discussion among people with like interests.

Cheers!

Richard Jones

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
El Cid La Ceiba
We were recently called by IBEX, Inc. about selling our time share at El Cid La Cieba, they said they had a client in mind and that client made an offer. I told them when they called I would not wire any money to Mexico and they said no problem. Next thing I know I have Crossborder Investments calling me to set up an escrow account at Citibanamex Bank. So now I have an escrow account and IBEX gets back with and says I either have to wire money to escrow account or go to the nearest Mexican Consulate to get a Mexican Tax Payer I D. I told they didn't listen to me and that I would not wire any money, then next thing I know Crossborder sends me another escrow statement showing that they put the money in and I will be reimbursed through escrow. Talked with Crossborder this morning and told them to take there fee's out of the escrow and they said they can't do that until closing. So I guess no sale

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
there was never any sale in the first place...its all an attempt to get you to send money.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We were recently called by IBEX, Inc. about selling our time share at El Cid La Cieba, they said they had a client in mind and that client made an offer. I told them when they called I would not wire any money to Mexico and they said no problem. Next thing I know I have Crossborder Investments calling me to set up an escrow account at Citibanamex Bank. So now I have an escrow account and IBEX gets back with and says I either have to wire money to escrow account or go to the nearest Mexican Consulate to get a Mexican Tax Payer I D. I told they didn't listen to me and that I would not wire any money, then next thing I know Crossborder sends me another escrow statement showing that they put the money in and I will be reimbursed through escrow. Talked with Crossborder this morning and told them to take there fee's out of the escrow and they said they can't do that until closing. So I guess no sale
You could just stop all communications with these scammers. Don't accept their phone calls and disregard their emails. Nothing good will come out of any further dealings with them.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
You could just stop all communications with these scammers. Don't accept their phone calls and disregard their emails. Nothing good will come out of any further dealings with them.
Actually, I'm glad some people string the scammers along. It's funny and fun to see what comes next. And, we are all the wiser for seeing how these things progress.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'm glad some people string the scammers along. It's funny and fun to see what comes next. And, we are all the wiser for seeing how these things progress.

True, it can be amusing at times to hear what these scammers say. But other people feel they have better things to do with their time and sanity.

rpoyourow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Jim. This is what I did for most of my professional career.
As to this thread in particular. There are several Cross-Border (or "Crossborder") - named companies. Most consumers don't know about "virtual offices," "virtual phone numbers," virtual companies, escrow regulations, etc. (For instance, in California, it is against the law for a real estate broker to have a virtual office where a license is not on display.) Some of these reports do inform about the steps one can take to verify the appeals they have received.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to this thread in particular. There are several Cross-Border (or "Crossborder") - named companies. Most consumers don't know about "virtual offices," "virtual phone numbers," virtual companies, escrow regulations, etc. (For instance, in California, it is against the law for a real estate broker to have a virtual office where a license is not on display.) Some of these reports do inform about the steps one can take to verify the appeals they have received.

There is only one "crossborder" as it relates to Ibex and this thread, and it is the one I linked. A scam operation. I'm still trying to figure out what point you are trying to make and why.

rpoyourow

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is only one "crossborder" as it relates to Ibex and this thread, and it is the one I linked. A scam operation. I'm still trying to figure out what point you are trying to make and why.

There's one somewhere in Texas, one in Illinois and the "double" in California. There's another somewhere that describes its services as including offering cross-border mortgages.

rpoyourow

TUG Member
Reaction score

Here's the update. More than 3 weeks have passed since I questioned "Crossborder" and the buyer's real estate agent - informing them that I would not proceed without an independent licensed, U.S. based escrow; would have no contractual relationship with any company that did not have full time employees and an office; and would under no circumstances advance any moneys. (A long-standing TUG guideline. All distributions would have to come from buyers' fees coming out of escrow.) The contacts never got back to me, and I consider the matter closed.

Cooper25

Reaction score
Hi there - I am a new member and first time poster. I also was contacted by Ibex quite awhile ago but was not interested in selling at that time. Now that I am interested in selling I contacted them. They said they had a major buyer who was buying all the timeshares/vacation clubs that he could - partly because Mexico was offering Mexican Nationals big tax credits for purchasing anything that was owned by non-Mexicans. My membership was a vacation club through RCI purchased at Sandos Carcol in Mexico after a many mimosa breakfast. Yes, they plied me with alcohol and sunshine and I signed.

Anyway, Ibex offered me 16,900US for my vacation club (I paid around $8000US). I told them I would pay no money up front and they said that was fine and that I could pay their commission once I had received my $16,900. I said okay and signed a sales agreement. They then said I would be dealing with Crossborder as my escrow agent. Crossborder sent me a Citibanamex bank statement showing that the buyer had deposited 16,900 for the sale plus $3000 to Crossborder for closing costs PLUS an additional $2950 to reimburse me for my getting a Mexican tax number.

A man from Crossborder contacted me and said that I had to get the Mexican tax number before I could sell anything registered in Mexico. AND that I had to pay that money upfront. They said there was two ways to do this, 1 go to Mexico in person and hire a lawyer there to help me obtain the Tax number (I am in Canada, with a job so obviously not possible) OR 2 they could refer me to a lawyer in Mexico to act on my behalf. I said sorry, no deal, I do not have $2950US. I said that surely if the buyer wanted the property so badly then they would pay for this - they said that was a conflict of interest and that no one could pay for it on my behalf, I had to do it myself. They called back a couple days later and said they could offer me a hardship rate of $1770. Of course, BIG red flag there - what government offers such a discount?

Anyway, I still thought this could be legit because by now it has been a month or two and I have spoken to at least 5 different people from two different companies in two different area codes (Chicago and California) and have received many, many official-looking forms and emails. I thought, if this was a scam then it was a lot of work to split my little $1770 among them all. So I agreed to take the paperwork to my bank.

Crossborder sent me the information to wire $1770 to a lawyer in Mexico which included his name, address and bank account number at Citibanamex in Mexico. So I went to my bank and asked about it and if they thought it was legit. My bank "fraud squad" said NO, it looks very sketchy and not to send the wire. So I informed Ibex that I would not be sending the wire and that I would go to the local Mexican Embassy and see about obtaining this tax number on my own.

Well, now she is threatening that I signed a legal sales document and that I agreed to use the Crossborder lawyer and all that was binding and that I would be incurring a huge legal bill if I renege on this deal. That just happened today so I will wait and see what happens next.

Sorry to go on so long but I wanted to tell my whole story in case it helps anyone else. I cannot believe I was so close to losing $1770 to a scam - I am fairly intelligent, a University graduate and I am constantly warning my mom about internet and telephone scams and yet, I came so close to falling for one - embarrassing!!!

Last edited: