• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

IBEX INC - (SCAM)

Timeshare ted

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fishermans
Larry, I would like to hear more details about the transaction. We have been approached and offered $250,000 for our Hacienda Tres Rios 2 bedroom. We have not moved forward with anything yet (so have not been told about the up front money); however, we want to thoroughly check out this company with forums like this and of course our contacts at Hacienda Tres Rios before moving forward. We would love to sell it, but don't want to lose more money and still have the property. Can you give more details?
Diane

I had a guy named Brandon contact me from IBEX REAL ESTATE. I traced the domain name and contacted the owner of the domain. I asked him if this was his business model. He assured me it is not.

info <info@christianrealtorssa.com>
Mar 16 (4 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

No we don’t deal with timeshare properties. Most of that are scam, plus is not our market.

Also, if you look on Google Maps at the address of the "business office" there is no address.

Further more... I am tempted to send an UBER there to take Brandon's picture and his driver's license...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Fishermans
My sister and I both own time shares and we have been contacted by Brandon too. We have been doing research into IBEX and World Acquisition Group as well and have found the same thing. Nothing checks out. Other than the obvious $4,500 up front to create a Tax id is there any other scam going on? We have been trying to figure out what other scam they are pulling. They said that the $4,500 was to pay a lawyer to file for and get a Mexican Social Security number and create a bank account at Citibank Mexico to put the money in. Anyone know what they are trying to do?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
My sister and I both own time shares and we have been contacted by Brandon too. We have been doing research into IBEX and World Acquisition Group as well and have found the same thing. Nothing checks out. Other than the obvious $4,500 up front to create a Tax id is there any other scam going on? We have been trying to figure out what other scam they are pulling. They said that the $4,500 was to pay a lawyer to file for and get a Mexican Social Security number and create a bank account at Citibank Mexico to put the money in. Anyone know what they are trying to do?

Sure! They're trying to steal $4,500 from you!!

Aside: there sure are a lot of first time posters on this thread!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They pick a price that they think their potential victim will be gullible enough to fall for. It's also an amount that will get the potential victim's mouth watering and lose all sense of sensibility. Then when the victim is totally in outer space thinking about that huge payoff, the scammers then hit him with, "Oh, we just need $1000 to cover [some bogus fee or tax] and to complete the sale."

This should bee a sticky in big bold bright yellow letters everywhere!!!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shill post??? Hardly. You are correct i'am not a regular poster on this forum. Honestly the only reason I decided to join and post about my situation is because I too was skeptical at first. Being an elderly man, this experience has allowed me to finally get out of a nightmare time share with sunset resort that has been nothing but trouble and a scam in itself from the beginning. 250k does sound like alot of money, my offer was not nearly close to this amount. I have no idea how they determine pricing. But I can assure you my sale was successful, I cannot comment on other cases. Seems to me like the people on here who complain or cry wolf of a scam have not gone through the process themselves. Although it's always good to be cautious unfortunately there are alot of illegitimate companies out there.

Really Larry? If you are legit PM me your phone number. Let's talk. I am ready to make a business deal and cut you in on millions in timeshare resale revenue. I could use someone with your inside knowledge.

rpoyourow

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, I don't see any stories of people being fleeced - just stories about people who might be. I might be one of them, so here's my story.

I, too was contacted about a month ago and then the Ibex representative contacted me again last week. The whole business is curious, but still possible. Even so, I am being careful about the personal information they have and that I give them -- not to expose myself to identity theft. The amount they have proposed is more than what the resort will sell at retail, but less than one would pay for a re-sale, so I'm going to see where it goes.

Ibex sent us some paperwork to sign that indicated a broker's name and phone number, but without broker license information. I made some corrections, and they revised it and sent it back to me. The phone number on the materials corresponded to what I found on the internet for Ibex (that's not nearly good enough), and so I called the number on the materials to speak with the broker. He returned my call and gave me his license number and the license number checked out in Illinois. I told him that the transaction would have to go through an escrow, and he told me that the buyer deposits the purchase funds and they used an escrow in Beverly Hills. There is something about a Mexican tax ID on the internet, but it's not clear that our transaction would be subject to it -- or that it must be deposited/paid before the transaction closes. In our next conversation, I will tell him that I'd expect any seller-paid commission and any Mexican tax deposits to be paid out of this escrow from the buyer-deposited funds.

That seems reasonable to me, and we'll see how far that goes. If they are fishing, or if their principal finds other properties that are more interesting, then I doubt I'll hear from them again.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The amount they have proposed is more than what the resort will sell at retail, but less than one would pay for a re-sale, so I'm going to see where it goes.

There is no such thing as a timeshare resale that costs more that what the resort is selling at retail.

If they are fishing, or if their principal finds other properties that are more interesting, then I doubt I'll hear from them again.

This is completely absurd.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the thread containing multiple "first time posters making arguments that defy logic" is also a classic sign of a scam =)

rpoyourow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apologies,and thank for the correction. The "absurd" sentence should have read: "The amount they have proposed is more than what I can get for a resale but less than the price that the resort will sell at retail, so I'm going to see where it goes."

I still haven't seen a post in which some one reports actually losing something. And only one report of a success. Anyone out there?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apologies,and thank for the correction. The "absurd" sentence should have read: "The amount they have proposed is more than what I can get for a resale but less than the price that the resort will sell at retail, so I'm going to see where it goes."

I still haven't seen a post in which some one reports actually losing something. And only one report of a success. Anyone out there?

Sorry, but still absurd. You brushed up on your English but not your logic. My suggestion is take the deal. It sounds really good.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Sorry, but still absurd. You brushed up on your English but not your logic. My suggestion is take the deal. It sounds really good.

Agree 100%. With all the glowing reports from first-time posters, what could go wrong?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this person also known as a Troll? Just saying ...

No. A shill and a troll are two different posters. Different motivations so the post can't be both shill and troll. It is possible that a shill and a troll could post the same message, which would make it impossible to tell between the two, but it has to be one or the other.

What made you find tug? This was your very first message as well but it looks like you liked the posts calling out the scam. Do you have a timeshare that you are interesting in selling or giving away?

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Were you on USS Ethan Allen?
Yet another "Joined Yesterday, first post" who just happened to see this string and decide his first post should be here. Gotta admire their persistence, if not their credibility.

SubVet608

Reaction score
Thank you for the correction and the education on trolls vs. shills. I stand corrected. Yes, that was my first post, and I apologize for my ignorance. Yes, I am a timeshare owner, and I would offload it if it was possible without an upfront cost. Why do you ask? Is it a prerequisite to have a timeshare to participate on this site?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Another interesting thing about the "satisfied customer Larry" is that he is posting from an IP address in Mexico.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes Jim, thanks for your response. Yes, I was deployed on the Allen. Why do you ask ... are you also a submariner, past or present? If so, which boat?

Nope, I was on destroyers -- targets, as you would say.

Now, the real question is how did it happen that you made your first-ever post on this totally bogus thread?

SubVet608

Reaction score
Perhaps a friendly target, I suggest ... practice only. Albeit, you guys had some very healthy dept-charges, we had a bent screw from one.

Well, relative to this thread, I've been reviewing all avenues of off-loading timeshares to no avail. I thought this site would be a source for same. To my chagrin, turns out this site only reinforces the notion one can't offload a timeshare, but can only be scammed. Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to successfully rid oneself of timeshares.

Cheers

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="SubVet608, post: 1987749, member: 92094"To my chagrin, turns out this site only reinforces the notion one can't offload a timeshare, but can only be scammed. Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to successfully rid oneself of timeshares.[/QUOTE]

Try telling that to the dozens of people who have unloaded their TS here on TUG:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...-timeshare-on-the-bargain-deals-forum.139125/

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
indeed, your research and conclusions drawn from "reviewing all avenues" are extremely lacking.

not that anyone here is surprised to see more posts containing inaccurate and or blatantly false information in a scammer thread from a brand new poster though, it happens nearly every time! =)

SubVet608

Reaction score
Okay, I apologize for striking a nerve here, I was only going by my personal experience. Moreover, the only thread I've reviewed on this site is this one, which is certainly scam intensive. I'm about to take a sail (sailboat) transient on the Atlantic. Upon my return, I'll look at the link provided and see what all those are saying about selling (offloading as it were) their timeshares and, perhaps, determine if the results will be counter to the unsuccessful "avenues I've reviewed." Understand, my post(s) were based off my personal experience and all the calls I've received offering to relieve me of my timeshare, all of which required upfront fees and no guarantees. Going forward I'll do my due diligence before posting on sites like this.

As an aside, please try not to be too harsh on new posters who are just trying to learn about these timeshare issues. I meant no harm, really.

Cheers

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been reviewing all avenues of off-loading timeshares to no avail. I thought this site would be a source for same. To my chagrin, turns out this site only reinforces the notion one can't offload a timeshare, but can only be scammed. Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to successfully rid oneself of timeshares.

Moreover, the only thread I've reviewed on this site is this one, which is certainly scam intensive.

our apologies if our replies seem harsh (although one could certainly take offense to the above comment as a bit of an insult to the site and its members as a whole), they are intended to educate and point out inaccuracies that other folks who may stumble upon this thread might read and interpret as a recommendation or otherwise think were valid statements.

SubVet608

Reaction score
The apology was fine, as I trust mine was accepted as well. Unfortunately, I suppose, continued chastisement is the right of passage for a new poster who makes a mistake. In any event, if I could just get past that, I'll just leave this thread and begin to peruse the site to see if I can learn something without ruffling feathers. Thank you kindly for the assistance lent in this thread.

Regarding the post about no one losing anything, for what it's worth, I lost about $400 to a company who promised to buy my timeshare, only to find out they only listed it for a finite period. Sure, that was a lesson learned, which left me squeamish regarding promises to have a timeshare off loaded. It also, trustfully, supports the reason for my offensive post earlier in this thread, which was the result of looking up the Ibex company. After receiving their offer, I found my way here to find they are possibly yet another scam company.

Hopefully, I won't get another lashing from this post, as it is only meant to clarify my situation and is not intended to inflame. If it does, I offer yet another apology.

Cheers

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if your goal is to learn how to avoid scams or best use your timeshare...you are in the right place and will always be welcome here on TUG.

however it would be in all new posters best interests to read the information on the site before making wide sweeping inaccurate generalizations about the site itself (especially in a thread where there are already existing fake personas attempting to legitimize the scam itself by pretending to be regular owners)...surely you can see how something like that from a new poster would "ruffle feathers" and or make most people believe you have some other motive!