• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

i am a new owner

basl99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vistana, worldmark
of a sheraton vistana resort week
i believe week 3
can i trade this for other weeks?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you bought on the resale market [you can book weeks in the season you own, but not other resorts]. (But you can trade with exchange companies like RCI or Interval International.)

If you bought directly from the resort - yes.

Last edited:

basl99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vistana, worldmark
i bought reslae - can i exchange the week in the same resort ?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
i bought reslae - can i exchange the week in the same resort ?
Which phase? Some phases float which means you can book a different week without going to an exchange company and it is free. If your phase is a fixed week only, then you need to use an external exchange company and incur an exchange fee.

basl99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vistana, worldmark
just checked with vistana - I can exchange for any week in the year :)
now how can i refit a week and what would be the costs?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
just checked with vistana - I can exchange for any week in the year :)
now how can i refit a week and what would be the costs?
Retro/requal a SVR is not an optimum strategy. You want to look for something like true platimum SDO with low MF and where retro will yield 148K SOs. Retro is expensive as you need to fork out at least $20K to buy a new developer week in order to bring a resale week into the system with full privileges.

basl99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vistana, worldmark
Ty for the advice - can you explain that more to me? you are losing me in your abbreviations and terminology

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Requalifying means that you would get Staroptions, which you don't have now, because you bought resale.

To requalify your week, you would have to buy another week at full price from the developer for at least $20,000 - which is a terrible deal.

If you want Staroptions, just buy another week on the resale market that already has Staroptions.

There are 5 resorts that you can buy on the resale market that have Staroptions:

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only) - CHEAPEST (ranging from free to a couple thousand)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

You need at least 81,000 Staroptions to trade for 1 bedrooms at the top resorts, and 148,100 Staroptions to trade for 2 bedrooms at the top resorts.

*Friendly request - if you have more questions on this topic, please post them here rather than starting a new thread.

Last edited:

basl99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vistana, worldmark
that's great advice - is 81,000 star options = 1 week or how are star options calculated?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1 week in a 1 bedroom. That is the cost at the top resorts.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are serious about the retro, the new min amount is not simply $20,000. There are ways to lower this or spend much more than $20k. Talking to Vistana direct sales is the best (an authoritative) way to get the details based on your specific needs and goals.

basl99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vistana, worldmark
good point - i like ii and rci but often find that i cannot find what i want when want it
is there a trick to that?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - the trick is putting in an ongoing search 12 or more months in advance. Those requests are filled first, so what you see online is the "leftovers" after they fill the ongoing search requests. So the best stuff never goes online.

However, if you are looking for high season at the top Vistana resorts, you aren't likely to find them in II or RCI, because Vistana controls what is deposited.

basl99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vistana, worldmark
and what constitutes high season?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It depends on where you are going. July is high season in Hawaii and low season in Scottsdale.

basl99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vistana, worldmark
makes sense - always visited Hawaii in the winter

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hawaii has 2 high seasons: Feb/March (Snowbirds) and mid-June - early Aug. (families out of school.)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
of a sheraton vistana resort week
i believe week 3
can i trade this for other weeks?
So you knew enough to buy resale, but is seems that you didn't do enough research to fully understand what it was that you were buying? You really should have been here asking these questions before buying.

You appear to have bought a week at Vistana Resort in Orlando, which is what we often refer to here as a voluntary resort. The other option is mandatory. The difference is that mandatory weeks have their StarOptions transfer on resale and you can use the StarOptions for in network trades in the Vistana Signature Network. Mandatory weeks in many cases, at least for higher seasons, still retain resale value. Voluntary resorts, do not have their StarOptions transfer. This is why you can often find them for free or sellers offering free usage or bonuses to get people to take them.

It sounds like your SVR week floats during the entire season, so that is good when you are using your week in Orlando at your resort, However as with voluntary resorts if you want to go to other Vistana properties, especially the popular ones in prime seasons, you need to be very flexible and willing to exchange through II or RCI. Most Vistana deposits get put in to II, at least for the newer properties. RCI is only affiliated with a small number of Vistana properties.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Look on the star option chart. You will see what's high season. Same room that uses more star options.

This doesn't always apply - for instance, the Hawaii resorts require the same number of Staroptions all year round, and even though HRA requires fewer Staroptions during the summer, summer is a very popular season.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Uh, Barry, if you are using your full name as your 'user name,' I might consider changing it to something a little less identifying. Just a thought.

basl99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vistana, worldmark
So you knew enough to buy resale, but is seems that you didn't do enough research to fully understand what it was that you were buying? You really should have been here asking these questions before buying.

i did a fair bit of research and it was free so i am just finding out more to use it more effectively
thats why i belong to tug to tug - to educate myself

You appear to have bought a week at Vistana Resort in Orlando, which is what we often refer to here as a voluntary resort. The other option is mandatory. The difference is that mandatory weeks have their StarOptions transfer on resale and you can use the StarOptions for in network trades in the Vistana Signature Network. Mandatory weeks in many cases, at least for higher seasons, still retain resale value. Voluntary resorts, do not have their StarOptions transfer. This is why you can often find them for free or sellers offering free usage or bonuses to get people to take them.

even if i never transfer it - vista is a great resort and disney world and orlando are great

It sounds like your SVR week floats during the entire season, so that is good when you are using your week in Orlando at your resort, However as with voluntary resorts if you want to go to other Vistana properties, especially the popular ones in prime seasons, you need to be very flexible and willing to exchange through II or RCI. Most Vistana deposits get put in to II, at least for the newer properties. RCI is only affiliated with a small number of Vistana properties.

i will keep that in mind - ty for the advice

basl99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vistana, worldmark
Uh, Barry, if you are using your full name as your 'user name,' I might consider changing it to something a little less identifying. Just a thought.
rob - how do you change this?