• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Pure Points Program

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
If they are basing it on the Marriott program, what did they charge them to join the points program. A while back at an owners update they were going to charge an outrageous amount just to change a resale week to be eligible for hotel points. I am imagining the fee to join PP to be something ridiculous.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they are basing it on the Marriott program, what did they charge them to join the points program. A while back at an owners update they were going to charge an outrageous amount just to change a resale week to be eligible for hotel points. I am imagining the fee to join PP to be something ridiculous.

Not a Marriott man, but I believe it was $600 per week to enroll in the Pts Program - will defer to Team Marriott for confirmation.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I could toggle back and forth between the PPP and legacy products at will, then I'm very interested...

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score

I found this information in other threads here on TUG:

Marriott does not allow resales bought outside of their resales department to be eligible for enrollment into the Destination Club by buying matching trust points. If you buy a week from their resales dept, that week can be enrolled into DC by buying matching trust points.

As of 6/14/12 the Enrollment Fee has been increased to $2,395. Enrollment incentives include varying amounts of one-time "PlusPoints" which expire one year from date of issue and are restricted to reservations made within 60 days of check-in at Marriott Vacation Club Collection properties only.

For historical context, the Enrollment Fee at the DC introduction ranged between $595 and $1,995 with an Enrollment Incentive of 800 one-time Exchange Points.

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Great post, dahntahn, and welcome to TUG! A few thoughts: 1) I completely agree that now is the time to buy resale if anyone is on the fence and thinking about it, for two reasons: a) Hyatt's desire for buying back weeks to place into the Pure Points trust is going to drive demand, especially for desirable weeks and could mean prices for resales will start to rise (in fact, they are already modestly rising for Diamond and Platinum weeks at the more popular resorts); b) once the Pure Points Program is firmly in place nationally, getting resale purchases through the ROFR process is going to be increasingly difficult; 2) as has been mentioned elsewhere in this discussion, ILG is having a heck of a time fine-tuning their program to create enough incentive for legacy owners to be willing to convert their fixed weeks to the PPP, as is evidenced by the delay in launching from late March to sometime in July--maybe; 3) I think legacy owners like you and me are going to be in the catbird seat once the PPP is fully in place. Expect unsolicited offers from ILG to purchase our weeks, and increasingly attractive incentives to get us to convert. Owners will be making their own decisions, but--as for me--I cannot even imagine selling or converting, as I own at two properties I love--Carmel and Sedona; 4) I love your handle name! Let me know the next time you're in dahntahn Pittsburgh and I'll red up the hahs for you.
When yinz come to the Burgh, bring your gum bands and pop, but watch out for Jagger bushes. We'll go get some Primanti's n'at, or some pierogies. Be sure to check if Kennywood is open, and don't get yer gutchies in a knot!

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
When yinz come to the Burgh, bring your gum bands and pop, but watch out for Jagger bushes. We'll go get some Primanti's n'at, or some pierogies. Be sure to check if Kennywood is open, and don't get yer gutchies in a knot!

Yer on! Primanti's--the originator of the french fries stuffed on top of your cole slaw which is stuffed on top of your cheesesteak sandwich. What a tahn.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I could toggle back and forth between the PPP and legacy products at will, then I'm very interested...

I wasn't really serious, but maybe this might have merit? Current deeded owners would pay a small initial fee to elect to be able to use either the PPP system or the current system. They would then choose whether to use the PPP system or the current system at the time of making the reservation. If you are a deeded owner, there would likely be another fee for using the PPP system when you make the reservation. This would likely open up units for the PPP system and give II additional revenue. Kal, would this work?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Im assuming that as resale owners we will be locked out of getti g into PP so it is probably a moot point. I would never give up my deeded weeks . While I have never used them as I love internal trading they are both weeks that Id be happy to use if push came to shove.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wasn't really serious, but maybe this might have merit? Current deeded owners would pay a small initial fee to elect to be able to use either the PPP system or the current system. They would then choose whether to use the PPP system or the current system at the time of making the reservation. If you are a deeded owner, there would likely be another fee for using the PPP system when you make the reservation. This would likely open up units for the PPP system and give II additional revenue. Kal, would this work?
I don't see a path where a legacy owner can go back and forth. It would be a nightmare to confirm a PPP reservation. "Now you see it, now you don't". Then too, what MF would a legacy owner pay. A prorated fee when in the PPP, and then how do you calculate the fee and period when in legacy. Also, can't combine legacy points to actually reserve various periods of stay. Slide one legacy unit into PPP would put you at the bottom tier of priority and probably couldn't get a reservation anyway.

It really makes me want to soothe my frontal cortex with a tall one.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't see a path where a legacy owner can go back and forth. It would be a nightmare to confirm a PPP reservation. "Now you see it, now you don't". Then too, what MF would a legacy owner pay. A prorated fee when in the PPP, and then how do you calculate the fee and period when in legacy. Also, can't combine legacy points to actually reserve various periods of stay. Slide one legacy unit into PPP would put you at the bottom tier of priority and probably couldn't get a reservation anyway.

That's my assumption as well. The PPP Trust will be distinct and different from the HRC Trust--and you will own in one or the other (or both, if you buy into both). My sense is that HRC will be of much greater value to owners over the next 10 years or so, but eventually may decline because ILG is putting all of their future development marbles and investment into PPP. The legacy resorts--which are beautifully-maintained and updated now--will require vigilant oversight by future owners' boards to ensure their resorts continue to receive those updates through MF reserves or special assessments. ILG's focus will be on the development of PPP properties and their focus is going to be there, not on the HRC system. Regardless, I plan to ride the HRC wave for many years to come. The touted "flexibility" of PPP is of little interest to me, as I find there is plenty of flexibility within the HRC system.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

So you're saying you'd rather have a "bottle in front of me" than a "frontal lobotomy"? I'll drink to that with you at Virgilios.

No doubt the delay in the PPP role out has given the Hyatt world too much to time to speculate.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just playing devil's advocate here. What MF would a legacy owner pay? Their current resort MF, nothing would change. The PP owners would pay whatever MF is determined by Hyatt/ILG to cover the PP owned weeks.

The path to go back and forth? Legacy owners would pay a fee, say something like $139 for the year, for the privilege of having access To PP. They would deposit their unit for the year into PP, which allows PP owners access to that legacy week. Legacy owners would get credit/points/trade value in PP for the year, and thus be able to use PP. This way legacy owners could pick and choose which year they would like to utilize PP without giving up ownership of the deeded week. Hyatt and PP owners would have access to more legacy weeks. I think something like this could possibly entice owners, at least some of the time while still maintaining control.

This is just a general overview as how a system could work. The details would be very important , like how far in advance would legacy owners have to deposit into PP, would they be able to see availability right away and so on. I think there are possibilities here but my two main questions for the system would be cost to legacy owners and do we still retain control of our week? Costs too high? I'm out. Give up my week, for good? Never.

Just my thoughts.

JC

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read the info on Kals page and found it very useful. I'm a Vistana/Starwood owner but I'm still not a HGVC owner but looking to be soon. Understanding the internal exchange systems work very differently between the two systems, I was wondering if there was an advantage or disadvantage of owning a deeded week that is either 51 or 52 at a non-ski resort that I intend to use to reserve at other Hyatt timeshares using club points. For example if I usually take extended vacations during the summer months of June and July does it matter when the deeded week is?

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've read the info on Kals page and found it very useful. I'm a Vistana/Starwood owner but I'm still not a HGVC owner but looking to be soon. Understanding the internal exchange systems work very differently between the two systems, I was wondering if there was an advantage or disadvantage of owning a deeded week that is either 51 or 52 at a non-ski resort that I intend to use to reserve at other Hyatt timeshares using club points. For example if I usually take extended vacations during the summer months of June and July does it matter when the deeded week is?

No. It matters not if you choose to use your ownership via the points program within HRC to reserve a unit at another HRC property. The only advantage you'll have with a Week 51 or 52 is that they are considered Diamond season, thereby giving you another 200 HRC points to work with.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
y
The key to what week to own is when the CUP points will be active in the account. As a minimum the points need to be in your account when the target units are released. That occurs 6 months prior to the first day of occupancy. So if you are looking to book a week starting on July 1st, the points need to be in your account before Dec. 31st. Do some "what if" planning and see how it will best work for you.

ResaleExpert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Marriott Royal Palms
Sands of Kahana fractional (sold)
y
The key to what week to own is when the CUP points will be active in the account. As a minimum the points need to be in your account when the target units are released. That occurs 6 months prior to the first day of occupancy. So if you are looking to book a week starting on July 1st, the points need to be in your account before Dec. 31st. Do some "what if" planning and see how it will best work for you.

ResaleExpert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Marriott Royal Palms
You can make requests one year in advance and it is possible for a week to open up that early. This happens when an owner trades their fixed week to either World Of Hyatt hotel points (developer bought option only) or Interval or another Hyatt resort. This frees up their week to be provided to the earliest person on the list. Most buyers decide to purchase either the fixed week to occupy Or the amount of points they want typically for the lowest price and lowest dues. There is a bit more variability now as Hyatt began buying back select weeks almost one year ago vs. never buying back ANY of my resales for over 10 years!

ResaleExpert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Marriott Royal Palms
You can make requests one year in advance and it is possible for a week to open up that early. This happens when an owner trades their fixed week to either World Of Hyatt hotel points (developer bought option only) or Interval or another Hyatt resort. This frees up their week to be provided to the earliest person on the list. Most buyers decide to purchase either the fixed week to occupy Or the amount of points they want typically for the lowest price and lowest dues. There is a bit more variability now as Hyatt began buying back select weeks almost one year ago vs. never buying back ANY of my resales for over 10 years!

ResaleExpert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Marriott Royal Palms
Just a note that HGVC refers to Hilton Grand Vacation Club vs HRC is Hyatt Residence Club.
Also, many of the very high demand weeks / seasons are far more difficult to get in to as owners will either use their weeks or often rent them out (Maui almost anytime or High Sierra Lodge July & August for example). The rental income in these cases has more value than a trade.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Walnut Baron, Kal and ResaleExpert for your input and detailed information on "HRC" point usage! Very helpful! I wish there was a way to see availability for the different HRC resorts for trading in by points without actually having an account, but was wondering if anyone can post past experiences on being able to trade in via HRC points into the Beaver Creek resorts for a week during the summer.

ResaleExpert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Marriott Royal Palms
Your question on trading into Beaver Creek in summer is one of the aspects of timeshares that is difficult to answer. IF you request one year ahead, if you are flexible on exact weeks, If you are open to unit size (2 br. , 1 br. , studio) THEN you should have a very good chance to trade in. ALSO, Hyatt does trade to the first request and full weeks are prioritized, so you may want to make multiple requests one year ahead. Bill

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your question on trading into Beaver Creek in summer is one of the aspects of timeshares that is difficult to answer. IF you request one year ahead, if you are flexible on exact weeks, If you are open to unit size (2 br. , 1 br. , studio) THEN you should have a very good chance to trade in. ALSO, Hyatt does trade to the first request and full weeks are prioritized, so you may want to make multiple requests one year ahead. Bill
Not sure full weeks are prioritized. I was told it's all but date of request for waitlist

ResaleExpert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Marriott Royal Palms
Could be true now; not entirely sure but when I was a sales executive for Hyatt (last agent on site to sell out High Sierra Lodge) this was in the contract. I'd suggest checking for this aspect if you were to be thinking of using less than full weeks. Bill