• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Pure Points Program

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
More from Facebook:

No, you cannot just transfer your deeded weeks (I wish!!!), you must buy into the program and then you can transfer points starting with your use year.....and you have to buy points to be part of the portfolio program.

According to someone who has bought in the minimum points are around 700 with a cost of around $20 per point. (Cost and point amounts seem to vary). Buy in will be around $13k. All I can say is Wow!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
More from Facebook:

No, you cannot just transfer your deeded weeks (I wish!!!), you must buy into the program and then you can transfer points starting with your use year.....and you have to buy points to be part of the portfolio program.

According to someone who has bought in the minimum points are around 700 with a cost of around $20 per point. (Cost and point amounts seem to vary). Buy in will be around $13k. All I can say is Wow!
Now this version makes sense if you own TWO HRC units. Here's my take on it:

1. Buy into the HRP program as a newbie or permanently transfer one HRC deeded unit into HRP. [Probably ~$40K to $13K]
2. Your SECOND HRC unit stays in the HRC and has a point value. Use those points to transfer into HRP on a trial basis. Points last 3 years.

For the unit staying in the HRC, there is an added feature for points beyond the HRPP usage, CUP points usage, and Interval. The added HRP usage.

Then once you have access to the HRP, what is really available beyond any HRC units that may be in the pool????

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
What is unfortunate is that a portfolio owner can use our units even if we aren't in the program but we have no access
to units in the portfolio program AND we will have low priority in exchanges. For us personally, we have never used our home week, we
exchange 100% of the time so we will most likely be exchanging now in interval for Marriott and Westin properties. What I am not clear on ,
can portfolio members exchange into Breckenridge and Beaver Creek even though they are not in the program? I also would not be at all surprised to see Hawaii
in the program eventually .We were considering buying a 3rd week
through Vistana but since they are also owned by Interval we are hesitant.
I also saw someone on facebook who joined the program for around $8,000. I wonder if that is because they did not own a resale week. Might be that they charge resale owners more.
It is such a guessing game at this point. And the info that you can join for a year and try it is incorrect. New info states that that is not the case. Maybe that will happen down the road.

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Info posted to the Hyatt group on FB is as follows (from what I could gather, note that all this info comes from several different people who attended meetings or spoke to people at Hyatt, so I can't vouch for the accuracy):

-Owners must buy more points (minimum 660) to join the Portfolio program
-Points cost $19.50 each
-Annual maintenance fee for purchased points is .93 per point
-Can opt to transfer your already-owned weeks into the portfolio program each year for a nominal fee (So for example if you own 1880 point week you would need to buy 660 points minimum which would always be in the PPP - then you could also transfer your additional 1880 points each year for $150 or thereabouts (owner has option to do this or not each year).

You could probably buy 2 entire weeks resale for less than the 660 points you'd get for $13k in the portfolio program, I'm just not seeing a lot of takers for this at these prices.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Info posted to the Hyatt group on FB is as follows (from what I could gather, note that all this info comes from several different people who attended meetings or spoke to people at Hyatt, so I can't vouch for the accuracy):

-Owners must buy more points (minimum 660) to join the Portfolio program
-Points cost $19.50 each
-Annual maintenance fee for purchased points is .93 per point
-Can opt to transfer your already-owned weeks into the portfolio program each year for a nominal fee (So for example if you own 1880 point week you would need to buy 660 points minimum which would always be in the PPP - then you could also transfer your additional 1880 points each year for $150 or thereabouts (owner has option to do this or not each year).

You could probably buy 2 entire weeks resale for less than the 660 points you'd get for $13k in the portfolio program, I'm just not seeing a lot of takers for this at these prices.
Thanks, Stover. I agree with you. The only way this even starts to make sense is if current HRC owners begin to have trouble getting internal exchanges because Hyatt ends up buying a huge amount of former HRC inventory through the resale market and placing it into the HRP. That is, as has been discussed here before, both expensive and time-consuming. I just don't think this HRP thing is going well for Hyatt/ILG.

ResaleExpert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House 2 diamond weeks
Hyatt Windward Pointe 2 diamond weeks
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch week 26
Hyatt Pinon Pointe Sold
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge Sold
Hyatt Coconut Cove Sold
Marriott Royal Palms 35 year
Sands of Kahana fractional (sold)
Thanks, Stover. I agree with you. The only way this even starts to make sense is if current HRC owners begin to have trouble getting internal exchanges because Hyatt ends up buying a huge amount of former HRC inventory through the resale market and placing it into the HRP. That is, as has been discussed here before, both expensive and time-consuming. I just don't think this HRP thing is going well for Hyatt/ILG.
Based on the relatively few Hyatt weeks exercised (I've sold about 100 Hyatt weeks in the past 12 months since they began buying back and only some Diamond Key West and a VERY FEW other low priced weeks were bought back) I would say that Hyatt will not have enough inventory to make any real difference in available inventory. They reportedly own 20 weeks (of 3,060) at High Sierra and so they will have the remaining inventory at Windward Pointe, Coconut Plantation, Pinon Pointe, Wild Oak and Highlands Inn to move to their points program. Truly, resales will continue to make far more sense for points, and the ONLY way to own when you want to occupy a certain week. Prices for even the highest season fixed weeks are still under 25% of their points pricing and lower season weeks are at give away prices. With dues approaching $1.oo per point the deeded weeks are another way to save every year. As Marriott was really a float program (except a few fixed weeks) their program was easier for some to move to their points program. With Hyatt I cannot understand how anyone that knows what they are buying will decide to pay for Hyatt's points program.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Based on the relatively few Hyatt weeks exercised (I've sold about 100 Hyatt weeks in the past 12 months since they began buying back and only some Diamond Key West and a VERY FEW other low priced weeks were bought back) I would say that Hyatt will not have enough inventory to make any real difference in available inventory. They reportedly own 20 weeks (of 3,060) at High Sierra and so they will have the remaining inventory at Windward Pointe, Coconut Plantation, Pinon Pointe, Wild Oak and Highlands Inn to move to their points program. Truly, resales will continue to make far more sense for points, and the ONLY way to own when you want to occupy a certain week. Prices for even the highest season fixed weeks are still under 25% of their points pricing and lower season weeks are at give away prices. With dues approaching $1.oo per point the deeded weeks are another way to save every year. As Marriott was really a float program (except a few fixed weeks) their program was easier for some to move to their points program. With Hyatt I cannot understand how anyone that knows what they are buying will decide to pay for Hyatt's points program.
Great insight. Thanks, Expert!

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What they are telling folks is that Portfolio owners can use use our weeks even if we are not in the program and aren't using our week. Does anyone know if that is true or misinformation? Sales are promoting that you can book 1 day at a time or skip Saturdays and save 40% of your points by booking Sunday through Fri .I am amazed at their prices, Marriott's conversion was less costly

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What they are telling folks is that Portfolio owners can use use our weeks even if we are not in the program and aren't using our week. Does anyone know if that is true or misinformation? Sales are promoting that you can book 1 day at a time or skip Saturdays and save 40% of your points by booking Sunday through Fri .I am amazed at their prices, Marriott's conversion was less costly
I don't know the answer to your question, but I am strongly inclined to say that the Sales Department is lying through their teeth. HRP owners own floating rights to a completely separate inventory of weeks, distinct from HRC weeks. The only way crossover occurs is when HRP buys former HRC weeks on the resale market and places them into the HRP inventory.

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but I am strongly inclined to say that the Sales Department is lying through their teeth. HRP owners own floating rights to a completely separate inventory of weeks, distinct from HRC weeks. The only way crossover occurs is when HRP buys former HRC weeks on the resale market and places them into the HRP inventory.

I'm not so sure about this. Once a week goes from HRPP into CUP, the unit is now available for internal exchanges. What prevents Hyatt from simply moving pending HRP requests for that resort/week to the front of the line, ahead of any HRC requests? That's how I interpreted it at least.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The key to the HRP sales pitch is "you have access to HRC Inventory". That statement is actually true but Hyatt is purposefully glossing over what that term means. The "HRC Inventory" is simply the HRC weeks that are in the HRP pool NOT the legacy HRC units which would be available to the Club. Those units enter the HRP by unsold inventory, resales taken by ROFR, and most importantly any HRC weeks deposited by HRC members who buy into the HRP.

The HRP sales people are not necessarily lying but fully taking advantage of the prospective buyer who doesn't have a grip on the term "HRC Inventory". The buyer hears what they want to hear and the huckster is not going to offer any clarification for fear of not making the sale.

When you stop and think about reserving 1 day of the legacy HRC units, what does that do to the remaining 6 days? A legacy week is 7, 4, or 3 day stays in a specific unit-week. The numbers just don't work.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The key to the HRP sales pitch is "you have access to HRC Inventory". That statement is actually true but Hyatt is purposefully glossing over what that term means. The "HRC Inventory" is simply the HRC weeks that are in the HRP pool NOT the legacy HRC units which would be available to the Club. Those units enter the HRP by unsold inventory, resales taken by ROFR, and most importantly any HRC weeks deposited by HRC members who buy into the HRP.

The HRP sales people are not necessarily lying but fully taking advantage of the prospective buyer who doesn't have a grip on the term "HRC Inventory". The buyer hears what they want to hear and the huckster is not going to offer any clarification for fear of not making the sale.

When you stop and think about reserving 1 day of the legacy HRC units, what does that do to the remaining 6 days? A legacy week is 7, 4, or 3 day stays in a specific unit-week. The numbers just don't work.
Thank you Kal! That makes perfect sense. I wish that more Hyatt owners were on TUG, especially after reading some comments on the facebook group. As a relatively new timeshare owner, 2 1/2 yrs. the information on here is invaluable.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
That's why they need to allow weeks owners into the program very cheaply initially. Without owners exchanging their weeks for points, they won't have enough weeks available to fulfill points requests.

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again just playing devil's advocate (have not read any legal documents about the HRP program) - but is there anything to stop them from simply giving HRP members priority over HRC members, for equivalent internal exchanges?

I get what you are saying about 1-day stays not adding up with the 3,4,7-day stays of HRC... but that does not mean that an equivalent 7-day stay request by an HRP member, cannot be given priority over the same 7-day request by an HRC member, for an available HRC unit (one where the HRPP period has expired or been relinquished, and has been converted to CUP points by the week's owner).

I look at it this way - in the beginning they will have very few units in the HRP program. Only as they buy back units or get existing owners to convert to pure points (or build new resorts perhaps) - will inventory become available. So it seems to me that they almost HAVE to allow new HRP members to exchange into available HRC units, or else they will hardly ever be able to fill an exchange for these new customers, who just ponied up a boatload of money to join. Not good PR for a new program they are trying to get off the ground.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We need to wait and see what our options are until we receive official notification from Hyatt. I'm pretty sure it's going to look quite different from what the hucksters are saying.

Again just playing devil's advocate (have not read any legal documents about the HRP program) - but is there anything to stop them from simply giving HRP members priority over HRC members, for equivalent internal exchanges?

I get what you are saying about 1-day stays not adding up with the 3,4,7-day stays of HRC... but that does not mean that an equivalent 7-day stay request by an HRP member, cannot be given priority over the same 7-day request by an HRC member, for an available HRC unit (one where the HRPP period has expired or been relinquished, and has been converted to CUP points by the week's owner).

I look at it this way - in the beginning they will have very few units in the HRP program. Only as they buy back units or get existing owners to convert to pure points (or build new resorts perhaps) - will inventory become available. So it seems to me that they almost HAVE to allow new HRP members to exchange into available HRC units, or else they will hardly ever be able to fill an exchange for these new customers, who just ponied up a boatload of money to join. Not good PR for a new program they are trying to get off the ground.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again just playing devil's advocate (have not read any legal documents about the HRP program) - but is there anything to stop them from simply giving HRP members priority over HRC members, for equivalent internal exchanges?...
Think of the HRP availability as "Bucket P" and HRC inventory as "Bucket C". The HRP owners can only pick from Bucket P and have a priority assigned by the number of points they received under contract. The higher the priority, the earlier they can pick....from Bucket P. They can't pick from Bucket C so that priority is very confined. The legacy HRC owners have their own priority established by HRPP and position on the Request Wait List. That position is defined by the date you made the request, doesn't matter how many points or units you have and are confined to Bucket C.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal, why can't they pick from Bucket C? (By the way, I agree with you.) I just haven't been able to see in writing saying they can't, and if it doesn't say it, Hyatt will let them. There is just no way Hyatt can get the inventory they need in sold out legacy resorts charging $13k. I just feel like I'm about to be defiled without getting bought a dinner and a movie first.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
We've been going through this for years with Marriott. Each ownership type has a bucket- points owners, weeks owners, weeks owners who bought into being able to trade for points, weeks available in Marriott.com that were traded for Reward points, etc, etc. Points owners are frequently upset that they can't get what they want unless the weeks owners give up their weeks for points. Then there are the resorts that were acquired after the Points system who the Points owners get first crack at. It can be very confusing for the owners but I think it is handled fairly. I haven't checked my Hyatt deed but we are probably protected there to some degree.

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal, why can't they pick from Bucket C? (By the way, I agree with you.) I just haven't been able to see in writing saying they can't, and if it doesn't say it, Hyatt will let them. There is just no way Hyatt can get the inventory they need in sold out legacy resorts charging $13k. I just feel like I'm about to be defiled without getting bought a dinner and a movie first.

Yeah I hope Kal is correct but I have not seen anything in writing that specifies that HRC units are segregated from HRP units in terms of internal exchanges. Once an HRC member exits HRPP (either by transferring points into CUP, or letting the 6-month HRPP expire), that unit/week is now available to fill exchanges. I can't see any reason why a HRP member could not request that week, just like they would request any other week - once it is CUP it's just a Hyatt week that is up for grabs.

Kal are you saying that in my example, HRP members could NOT reserve all or part of that relinquished HRC week - even if no one in HRC wants it? I highly doubt that, it would make no sense from their standpoint. So in that case the only question is whether the HRP request would be given priority over HRC requests.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah I hope Kal is correct but I have not seen anything in writing that specifies that HRC units are segregated from HRP units in terms of internal exchanges. Once an HRC member exits HRPP (either by transferring points into CUP, or letting the 6-month HRPP expire), that unit/week is now available to fill exchanges. I can't see any reason why a HRP member could not request that week, just like they would request any other week - once it is CUP it's just a Hyatt week that is up for grabs.

Kal are you saying that in my example, HRP members could NOT reserve all or part of that relinquished HRC week - even if no one in HRC wants it? I highly doubt that, it would make no sense from their standpoint. So in that case the only question is whether the HRP request would be given priority over HRC requests.
That's my reading of the HRP/HRC 43 page rules and regs. The two programs are totally separate.

“Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.”

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's my reading of the HRP/HRC 43 page rules and regs. The two programs are totally separate.
For all those who may not be aware, the best information any of us has on HRP is embedded in the 43-page document entitled "Hyatt Residence Club Portfolio HPC Vacation Ownership Plan". Kal posted it in this thread as Post #260. There is also a link to a brief summary of the program on Post #276.

As I mentioned earlier, my interpretation of the language agrees with Kal's: the HRC Trust is separate and distinct from the HRP Trust, and never the twain shall meet. Hyatt is working hard to populate the HRP Trust with properties purchased through their exercise of ROFR on the resale market as well as HRC owners' conversion to HRP. But--as others have pointed out--Hyatt's pricing for such conversion is steep, and the economics just don't seem to make much sense, especially in light of the value HRC owners have currently.

I will say again that I don't think HRP is going well. I'll further speculate that the "soft opening" in Florida is essentially being used as Hyatt's test market to gauge owner interest and, if it turns out that Hyatt's sales goals for HRP are not being met, I would not be surprised to see an announcement in coming months of a "special introductory price" (e.g. price decrease) to encourage more HRC owners to convert to the points program (HRP).

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
For all those who may not be aware, the best information any of us has on HRP is embedded in the 43-page document entitled "Hyatt Residence Club Portfolio HPC Vacation Ownership Plan". Kal posted it in this thread as Post #260. There is also a link to a brief summary of the program on Post #276.

As I mentioned earlier, my interpretation of the language agrees with Kal's: the HRC Trust is separate and distinct from the HRP Trust, and never the twain shall meet. Hyatt is working hard to populate the HRP Trust with properties purchased through their exercise of ROFR on the resale market as well as HRC owners' conversion to HRP. But--as others have pointed out--Hyatt's pricing for such conversion is steep, and the economics just don't seem to make much sense, especially in light of the value HRC owners have currently.

I will say again that I don't think HRP is going well. I'll further speculate that the "soft opening" in Florida is essentially being used as Hyatt's test market to gauge owner interest and, if it turns out that Hyatt's sales goals for HRP are not being met, I would not be surprised to see an announcement in coming months of a "special introductory price" (e.g. price decrease) to encourage more HRC owners to convert to the points program (HRP).

Perhaps the concept of being able to offer a "special introductory price" is the reason existing owners are not being informed about the new points system, unless they happen to go to a sales pitch. Hyatt wants to wait and see how it goes over with the few existing owners they float it past? If it goes over like a lead balloon, then maybe they take a different tack when they announce this new product to current owners.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
A member of the HVC Face Book community reported: “…the Trust was seeded with the following number of weeks at the Portfolio resorts to start the [HVP] program:

(Note – Where the total number of unit weeks is readily available, I have added the percent represented by that seeding)

Carmel - 496

Coconut Plantation - 218

Pinion Point – 101 of 5,658 unit weeks = 1.8%

Wild Oak Ranch - 717

Aspen – 207 of 2,600 unit-weeks = 8%

Windward Pointe – 458 of 4,836 unit-weeks = 9.5%

Sunset Harbor – 31 of 2,132 total unit-weeks = 1.5%

Beach House - 42 of 3,848 unit-weeks = 1%

High Sierra Lodge (Lake Tahoe) - 20

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bingo!

Perhaps the concept of being able to offer a "special introductory price" is the reason existing owners are not being informed about the new points system, unless they happen to go to a sales pitch. Hyatt wants to wait and see how it goes over with the few existing owners they float it past? If it goes over like a lead balloon, then maybe they take a different tack when they announce this new product to current owners.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once an HRC member exits HRPP (either by transferring points into CUP, or letting the 6-month HRPP expire), that unit/week is now available to fill exchanges. I can't see any reason why a HRP member could not request that week, just like they would request any other week - once it is CUP it's just a Hyatt week that is up for grabs.

Does the "Exchange Reservation Period" explain how pure point owners have access to individual deeds?

"c. Exchange Reservation Period. During the Exchange Reservation Period, subject to the terms of the Club to Club Exchange Agreement, HPC Club Owners have the right on a first come, first served basis with other HPC Club Owners to reserve the use of any available Vacation Period within the HPC Club. In addition, HRC Members also have the right during the Exchange Reservation Period to reserve the use of any available Vacation Periods during the Exchange Reservation Period in exchange for HPC Club Owners’ right to reserve the use of accommodations in the HRC pursuant to the Club to Club Exchange Agreement." (p. 32)

"a. Owner Reservation Period. The Owner Reservation Period shall mean the period beginning three hundred and sixty-four (364) days prior to Check-In Day for a Vacation Period and lasting one hundred eighty-two (182) days, during which the HPC Club Owner must compete, subject to any Fixed Reservation Rights, on a first come, first served basis with other HPC Club Owners to use their HPC Club Points to reserve the use of any available Vacation Periods in the HPC Club, subject to any reservation restrictions set forth on the Membership Tier Level Chart and the following: ..." (p. 29)

Definitions:

"Exchange Reservation Period shall mean the one hundred twenty-two (122) day period beginning on the day after the expiration of the Owner Reservation Period for a given Vacation Period and ending at 11:59 p.m. on the day before the first day of the HPC Priority Period for the given Vacation Period. During the Exchange Reservation Period, subject to the terms of the Club to Club Exchange Agreement, HPC Club Owners and HRC Members have the voluntary right, on a first come, first served basis, to reserve the use of any available Vacation Period within the HPC Club." (p. 6)

"Owner Reservation Period shall mean the period beginning three hundred sixty-four (364) days prior to the Check-In Day for a Vacation Period and lasting one hundred eighty-two (182) days, during which the HPC Club Owner must compete on a first come, first served basis with other HPC Club Owners to reserve the use of any available Vacation Periods in the HPC Club." (p. 9)