• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Irma and Marriott Vacation Club (Multiple threads merged.)

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
This communication is obviously for Wall Street. It is rather disappointing that nothing has been communicated to owners and updated information regarding conditions of resorts isn't posted on the MVC website. This is typical of most US corporations today in that nobody really cares about the core of their businesses: loyal customers.
I wouldn't be too insulted - they're required to release that kind of a statement since it will affect earnings numbers that they previously released. Otherwise they could be seen as potentially misleading investors. It's not like they have specific information in this release that's not available elsewhere.

Granted they have not been great about reaching out to individual impacted owners, but note that they were likely still ascertaining the full extent of the damage, had to fly adjusters to the island, then realized another Category 5 hurricane was likely to hit the island even more directly than Irma. With Maria on the way, I'm sure it didn't make sense to continue damage assessment, which also impacts how much information they are able to provide to owners. Your expectations might be a bit high - give them a couple of weeks after this next hurricane. If they still haven't given detailed information at that point, then you have every right to be furious.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received an email that my reservation at MFC for 4 November has been cancelled. I did not purchase travel insurance and this was my owned week (not Destination points). I think that I'm screwed. I paid the maintenance fee at the beginning of the year and now have NOTHING. People using points will have their points returned with a shorter reservation window. People using an II exchange will get a certificate for a low-demand week exchange. But, owners just lose the week and lose the maintenance fee. This sucks!

Well, you didn't lose your home your job or your life which a lot of citizens on USVI/BVI have.

I'm reading this forum and seeing a lot of first world issues.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is devistating for the islands. Dominica taking a beating. I'm watching the track and the recent pictures look as if St. Kitts is on the outer northern bands of the storm. Is it wishfull thinking on my part that they have dodged the worst of it? I seem to remember a meteorologist describing the eastern side of the storm as the worst. Anyone hear that before?

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, you didn't lose your home your job or your life which a lot of citizens on USVI/BVI have.

I'm reading this forum and seeing a lot of first world issues.

Yes, you are right. Guilty as charged. But this is a forum where timeshare issues are discussed and these storms are certainly impacting timshare owners. There are 24 hours in a day and I for one am capable of feeling compassion, acting compassionate and still finding time for thinking of and discussing other issues even if they are of less importance. My week at MFC is an investment and even if only for a week is property I own. It might be early yet to be upset(and I'm not); but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to begin receiving updates on the extent of damage from the property management. Even if only preliminary assessments.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is devistating for the islands. Dominica taking a beating. I'm watching the track and the recent pictures look as if St. Kitts is on the outer northern bands of the storm. Is it wishfull thinking on my part that they have dodged the worst of it? I seem to remember a meteorologist describing the eastern side of the storm as the worst. Anyone hear that before?
St Kitts is getting a bit of a hit, but as you say hopefully dodging the worst.
The Kim Collins stadium in Basseterre has had quite a buffeting though.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1885178978175145&id=141522192540841

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's hope that pole holds. They don't need that hunk of metal rolling down road or worse

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Latest from St Kitts
Although not unscathed and with some significant flooding, it is generally a fairly positive update compared to other islands.

The eye of Hurricane Maria passed to the south of St. Kitts & Nevis yesterday afternoon, with the center having been located 90 miles west-southwest of the islands. Rapid assessment teams are currently being deployed to determine the extent of disruption caused by the storm. Everyone is advised to remain indoors until the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) states that the “all clear” has been given. All storm watches and warnings for St. Kitts & Nevis have been discontinued. Essential services are up and operating.

St. Kitts’ Robert L. Bradshaw International Airport (SKB) will be reopened today at 11:00 am. American Airlines’ non-stop daily flight #318 from Miami (MIA) to St. Kitts will be operating today. British Airways' flight #2157 from London Gatwick airport (LGW) to St. Kitts via Antigua (ANU) scheduled to operate today has been canceled. However, the flight has been rerouted to operate tomorrow LGW-ANU-SKB-ANU-LGW as flight #2157/2256 and passengers who were scheduled to depart on today’s flight will be re-accommodated on that flight.

Updated information will be provided after the 8:00 am assessment report is received.

We extend our thoughts and prayers to our brothers and sisters in Dominica, which took a direct hit from Maria, and to everyone who has been or will be impacted by the storm. Our sincere thanks to those who have kept St. Kitts & Nevis in their hearts and prayers.

For the most recent updates on Maria, please refer to the National Hurricane Center. For more information about St. Kitts, visit www.stkittstourism.kn

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI--Our reservation at Ocean Pointe for Oct 1-8 was cancelled. Luckily I had eplus and was able to trade into Harbor Point in Orlando, although we went from two, two bedroom units to two studios. I also managed to get two studios via getaways so now we have four studios. Also, fortunately, I had insurance through II and it should take care of the airfare change charges and the cost of the two getaways. Note to self: ALWAYS buy travel insurance and EPLUS!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
FYI--Our reservation at Ocean Pointe for Oct 1-8 was cancelled. Luckily I had eplus and was able to trade into Harbor Point in Orlando, although we went from two, two bedroom units to two studios. I also managed to get two studios via getaways so now we have four studios. Also, fortunately, I had insurance through II and it should take care of the airfare change charges and the cost of the two getaways. Note to self: ALWAYS buy travel insurance and EPLUS!

:) Cypress Harbour, or Harbour Lake? (Harbour Point is on Hilton Head Island.)

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
:) Cypress Harbour, or Harbour Lake? (Harbour Point is on Hilton Head Island.)
It would have to be Harbour lake then? Only two bedrooms at cypress Harbour I thought. Either way, hope the OP enjoys Harbour lake, fun resort!

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Curious here. If a resort I am a weeks owner at sustains damage in excess of insurance, I get an assessment. What happens to points owners who own a pool of weeks that include resorts that sustain damage?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Curious here. If a resort I am a weeks owner at sustains damage in excess of insurance, I get an assessment. What happens to points owners who own a pool of weeks that include resorts that sustain damage?
Each point would be allocated its fair share of the assessment based on the underlying week's the DC owns at affected resorts.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Each point would be allocated its fair share of the assessment based on the underlying week's the DC owns at affected resorts.
Yes, though there isn't a separate break out that I am aware of. They just lump it all in to the single MF (component) line item on the points MF financials?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Yes, though there isn't a separate break out that I am aware of. They just lump it all in to the single MF (component) line item on the points MF financials?
Agreed.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am becoming concerned about my 10/28 reservation that combines 1 night DC points with week II exchange. I am an owner at the resort but have been unable to find updated information. I'm really getting frustrated with MVC regarding lack of information regarding the conditions and future stay impacts at the damaged properties. This makes it difficult to make alternative plans for upcoming vacations. Does anyone have the email address for the GM at Ocean Pointe so I can contact them regarding the likelihood that II exchanges will be cancelled? Thanks.

budnj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am becoming concerned about my 10/28 reservation that combines 1 night DC points with week II exchange. I am an owner at the resort but have been unable to find updated information. I'm really getting frustrated with MVC regarding lack of information regarding the conditions and future stay impacts at the damaged properties. This makes it difficult to make alternative plans for upcoming vacations. Does anyone have the email address for the GM at Ocean Pointe so I can contact them regarding the likelihood that II exchanges will be cancelled? Thanks.

I'm scheduled for 10/29, please post any info you receive, thanks.

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot get to it right now so I can't post a link, but I have been watching the Singer Island and the Marriott's Ocean Pointe Facebook pages for information. Marriott is answering direct questions on the Ocean Pointe page.

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot get to it right now so I can't post a link, but I have been watching the Singer Island and the Marriott's Ocean Pointe Facebook pages for information. Marriott is answering direct questions on the Ocean Pointe page.

https://www.facebook.com/MarriottsO...4Hv9nMpeec_TAYvFBN9NMPhid0svrjQHl31fQ&fref=nf

Marriott's Ocean Pointe
54 mins ·

Tropical Weather Update: Marriott’s Ocean Pointe is currently scheduled to re-open on Saturday, September 23, 2017 with limited occupancy, and we are excited to be welcoming Owners and guests back to the resort. If you are scheduled to arrive in the next several weeks, please be aware that hurricane remediation efforts will be ongoing at the resort. We ask that you continue to check this hotline for the most current updates. For more information, please call the resort hotline at (800)-306-9506, and press 1 for the Florida resorts.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island

Just saw where a member of the OP Yahoo Newsgroup made this comment:

***We are scheduled for Tuesday and they just called and said they will be open tomorrow (Saturday). Good news. ***

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just saw where a member of the OP Yahoo Newsgroup made this comment:

***We are scheduled for Tuesday and they just called and said they will be open tomorrow (Saturday). Good news. ***
Based on post #193, they will only be partially open since some units are still out of commission due to damage.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on post #193, they will only be partially open since some units are still out of commission due to damage.
Unfortunately for KarenP, it appears the II exchanges are being cancelled after the 'reopening' date. I would also expect the Cobia pool to still be closed. It's refurbishment work was scheduled to be completed by end of October, but I expect completion to be delayed.

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
KarenP,
I'm sorry for your cancellation and am glad you were able to find an acceptable alternative. Since the resort has reopened, it appears that some reservations are still being cancelled. Was your II exchange using an MVC deposit, and are you an owner at Ocean Pointe? I would like to know whether MVC is basically cancelling II reservations first, or if there is any consideration being given whether it was a Marriott to Marriott exchange.

Has anyone who had a confirmed reservation at an 'open' resort using VC points or owned week had their reservations cancelled? So far, all the cancellation appear to be for II exchanges.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
KarenP,
I'm sorry for your cancellation and am glad you were able to find an acceptable alternative. Since the resort has reopened, it appears that some reservations are still being cancelled. Was your II exchange using an MVC deposit, and are you an owner at Ocean Pointe? I would like to know whether MVC is basically cancelling II reservations first, or if there is any consideration being given whether it was a Marriott to Marriott exchange.

Has anyone who had a confirmed reservation at an 'open' resort using VC points or owned week had their reservations cancelled? So far, all the cancellation appear to be for II exchanges.
Ocean Point is open, but only for limited occupancy. They had a number of southeast facing units that had significant water intrusion. I suspect that they had to cancel certain guests due to the limited capacity.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on this and the other thread, it appears that II exchanges are being cancelled at resorts that are partially open. I want to know if they take into consideration whether it was a Marriott to Marriott exchange, of if you are also an owner at the resort. I'd also like to know whether anyone else with confirmed reservations (owned weeks, VC points, Encore, etc.) has had reservations cancelled for partially open resorts. It will be helpful to know what MVC policies are being used.