• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Irma and Marriott Vacation Club (Multiple threads merged.)

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke with MVCI today on an unrelated matter and the agent told me, in response to my question about St Thomas, that while there was some minor structural damage, they hope to have the resort back up and running by Nov 1.
I am hoping for that since we are suppose to be there starting Nov 4. I know that owners who had weeks scheduled for Nov 4 and Nov 11 received emails advising them not to make any additional travel plans until the status is better known, but was wondering if anyone with a later week also received a similar email. This could be used as an indicator of when it may actually open if no other emails were sent. giving an indication that the Nov 1 opening may be a probable date.

Chuck

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
How did OceanWatch in Myrtle Beach,SC fair after the hurricane? Mixed reports from local tv news & local newspapers reporting some said North Myrtle Beach experience some flooding and trees damage. However some sources, have stated that the City of MB were able to clean up everything up after the hurricane after a couple days.

What is the true story?
We are staying at MOW starting Oct 15 and have not received anything about any problems, so I believe all is good (at least for my stay):).

Chcuk

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just posted by Marriott St Kitts Beach Club
Tropical Weather Update: Based on forecasts from the National Weather Service, the St. Kitts’ Operations team is monitoring an escalating storm that has the potential to impact the island of St. Kitt’s. The property management team is currently making pre-storm preparations. At this time, Marriott’s St. Kitts Beach Club remains open and fully-operational. As always, the safety and security of our Owners, guests, and associates is a top priority. For more information, please call the resort hotline at (800)-306-9506.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks
We are staying at MOW starting Oct 15 and have not received anything about any problems, so I believe all is good (at least for my stay):).

Chcuk

Last edited by a moderator:

mrssbw

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Information can be provided with disclaimers. In this instance the fat cats are sitting on our money, paid up front, and no doubt laughing all the way to the bank. It is at best totally disrespectful, of both those of us who want to stay there, but especially of the staff at resorts who will bear the brunt of our frustration. It is beyond disappointing....

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just posted by Marriott St Kitts Beach Club
Tropical Weather Update: Based on forecasts from the National Weather Service, the St. Kitts’ Operations team is monitoring an escalating storm that has the potential to impact the island of St. Kitt’s. The property management team is currently making pre-storm preparations. At this time, Marriott’s St. Kitts Beach Club remains open and fully-operational. As always, the safety and security of our Owners, guests, and associates is a top priority. For more information, please call the resort hotline at (800)-306-9506.

Must be Maria. I hadn't heard about that one until you posted. Fingers crossed for St. Kitts. Also looks like VI and PR are in the center of track cone but it's early yet.

larbogast

Reaction score
I am hoping for that since we are suppose to be there starting Nov 4. I know that owners who had weeks scheduled for Nov 4 and Nov 11 received emails advising them not to make any additional travel plans until the status is better known, but was wondering if anyone with a later week also received a similar email. This could be used as an indicator of when it may actually open if no other emails were sent. giving an indication that the Nov 1 opening may be a probable date.

Chuck

We are supposed to check in Dec 30th and spoke to MVC and they said they are working to hopefully partially open by Oct 7th with the goal of everything open by Oct 31st. While the resort may be able to do that, I'm wondering what the rest of the island will look like and if it'll be safe to leave the property.

larbogast

Reaction score
Heard from friends who checked in today at Barony on HHI that they sustained water damage to 60 ocean side villas but the garden side was open.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Must be Maria. I hadn't heard about that one until you posted. Fingers crossed for St. Kitts. Also looks like VI and PR are in the center of track cone but it's early yet.
Yes and this has just been published bt St Kitts and Nevis Times

WEATHER UPDATE

HURRICANE WATCH ISSUED !!!!!!!!!!!

The government of Antigua has issued a Hurricane Watch for Antigua, Barbuda, St. Kitts, Nevis, and Montserrat.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for...
* Antigua, Barbuda, St. Kitts, Nevis, and Montserrat

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...
* St. Lucia
* Martinique and Guadeloupe
* Dominica
* Barbados
* St. Vincent and the Grenadines

FULL REPORT:

WTNT35 KNHC 162038
TCPAT5

BULLETIN
Tropical Storm Maria Advisory Number 2
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL152017
500 PM AST Sat Sep 16 2017

...DEPRESSION BECOMES TROPICAL STORM MARIA...
...ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM AST...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...12.3N 52.6W
ABOUT 620 MI...1000 KM ESE OF THE LESSER ANTILLES
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH...85 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 275 DEGREES AT 20 MPH...31 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1002 MB...29.59 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The government of Antigua has issued a Hurricane Watch for Antigua,
Barbuda, St. Kitts, Nevis, and Montserrat.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for...
* Antigua, Barbuda, St. Kitts, Nevis, and Montserrat

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...
* St. Lucia
* Martinique and Guadeloupe
* Dominica
* Barbados
* St. Vincent and the Grenadines

A Hurricane Watch means that hurricane conditions are possible
within the watch area. A watch is typically issued 48 hours
before the anticipated first occurrence of tropical-storm-force
winds, conditions that make outside preparations difficult or
dangerous.

A Tropical Storm Watch means that tropical storm conditions are
possible within the watch area, generally within 48 hours.

Interests elsewhere in the Lesser Antilles should monitor the
progress of this system. Additional Tropical Storm or Hurricane
Watches will likely be issued tonight or early Sunday.

For storm information specific to your area, please monitor
products issued by your national meteorological service.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
At 500 PM AST (2100 UTC), the center of Tropical Storm Maria was
located near latitude 12.3 North, longitude 52.6 West. Maria is
moving toward the west near 20 mph (31 km/h). A slower
west-northwest motion is expected during the next couple of
days. On the forecast track, Maria is expected to approach the
Leeward Islands on Monday.

Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 50 mph (85 km/h)
with higher gusts. Additional strengthening is expected during the
next 48 hours, and Maria is forecast to be a hurricane when it
approaches the Leeward Islands early next week.

Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles (75 km)
from the center.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 1002 mb (29.59 inches).

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
----------------------
WIND: Hurricane conditions are possible within the hurricane watch area by Monday night or Tuesday, with tropical storm conditions possible on Monday. Tropical storm conditions are possible in the tropical storm watch area on Monday.

STORM SURGE: A dangerous storm surge accompanied by large and destructive waves will raise water levels by as much as 3 to 5 feet above normal tide levels within the hurricane watch area.

RAINFALL: Maria is expected to produce total rain accumulations of 6 to 12 inches with isolated maximum amounts of 20 inches across portions of the central and southern Leeward Islands through Tuesday night. Rainfall amounts of 2 to 4 inches with isolated maximum amounts of 8 inches will be possible for portions of the northern Leeward Islands through Tuesday night. These rains could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides.

SURF: Swells generated by Maria are expected to begin affecting the Lesser Antilles by Sunday night. These swells are likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions. Please consult products from your local weather office.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are actually two hurricanes in the Atlantic Maria and Lee.
Lee is weakening this morning to a tropical depression as reported by CNN this morning.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They have evacuated all people from Barbuda, so a hurricane there can only do more damage to already damaged structures.

For first time in 300 years, no one is living on Barbuda
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/americas/irma-barbuda-population-trnd/index.html

Both Lee and Maria are currently Tropical storms. Lee is forecast to weaken while Maria is forecast to become a major hurricane.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction about Maria and Lee

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are supposed to check in Dec 30th and spoke to MVC and they said they are working to hopefully partially open by Oct 7th with the goal of everything open by Oct 31st. While the resort may be able to do that, I'm wondering what the rest of the island will look like and if it'll be safe to leave the property.

This is a link to a spreadsheet showing the status of various businesses on both St. Thomas and St. Johns if they are open. It is not an official list but is maintained by volunteers on the island, so no verification of its accuracy. I found this on the St. Thomas Source (www.stthomassource.com) which seems to have the most up-to-date info that you don't need a subscription to.

Chuck

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_2551.jpg
Can't find much info on the future status of MFC and the Frenchman's Reef Hotel (Reef is in much worse shape than Cove). Pulled this from a thread on the MFC fb page.

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Destination Club Member
I just received an email that my reservation at MFC for 4 November has been cancelled. I did not purchase travel insurance and this was my owned week (not Destination points). I think that I'm screwed. I paid the maintenance fee at the beginning of the year and now have NOTHING. People using points will have their points returned with a shorter reservation window. People using an II exchange will get a certificate for a low-demand week exchange. But, owners just lose the week and lose the maintenance fee. This sucks!

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received an email that my reservation at MFC for 4 November has been cancelled. I did not purchase travel insurance and this was my owned week (not Destination points). I think that I'm screwed. I paid the maintenance fee at the beginning of the year and now have NOTHING. People using points will have their points returned with a shorter reservation window. People using an II exchange will get a certificate for a low-demand week exchange. But, owners just lose the week and lose the maintenance fee. This sucks!
Did the email really not suggest any alternative options which might be available to you?

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Dear Owners and Guests,

Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma, we have cancelled reservations that are scheduled to arrive on November 04, 2017 at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove. The team is working diligently to assess and repair damage caused by the storm.

A hotline for Owners and guests has been established for resort updates. Please contact the resort's hotline at 800-306-9506 (press option 8, then option 2 to select Marriott's Frenchman's Cove from the menu) to stay up-to-date with the most current information.

Please use the following contact options for more information:

• Marriott Vacation Club® Owners using their ownership week(s): Owners with travel insurance coverage should contact their insurance provider to discuss and/or file a claim for disrupted travel plans. Marriott Vacation Club will be providing any closure information to Travelex.
  • Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Owners using Vacation Club Points: Please contact Marriott Vacation Club® Owner Services at 888-682-4862 to discuss available options.
  • Interval International Exchange Guests: Please contact Interval International directly at 800-622-1747 to discuss available options.
All other guests may contact Marriott Vacation Club Customer Care at 800-860-9384 for assistance with your upcoming vacation.

Thank you for understanding,

Scott Derrickson
General Manager

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Above is the email. It says to contact Customer Care for assistance which I did several days ago. When I explained the situation, I was told that there will be nothing done to accommodate owners who did not purchase travel insurance, but that the Destinations program will place the points back into a "hold account" for Destination point users to utilize over a shorter reservation window. I was also informed that II would issue accommodation certificates for affected traders, but with a limited reservation window. So, I was told that nothing would be done for owners using their own week at their own resort.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Owners and Guests,

Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma, we have cancelled reservations that are scheduled to arrive on November 04, 2017 at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove. The team is working diligently to assess and repair damage caused by the storm.

Edited - I have just read your follow up post sent while I was writing this reply.
It certainly seems a very harsh position when other options do exist for Points and Interval reservations.

Whilst MVC have cancelled this reservation, I wonder if there is any alternative option whereby they might offer some other week that you could still deposit with Interval up to 14 days before scheduled check in, albeit with Flexchange restrictions?

"Under the Deposit First method, deposits must be received by II at least 60 days, but no more than 12 months, before the commencement date of the deposited Week. Flex Deposits (received by II from 59 days up until 14 days before the commencement date of the Week being deposited) also are accepted, but any exchange request placed using the Flex Deposit must be made through the Flexchange exchange service."

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Above is the email. It says to contact Customer Care for assistance which I did several days ago. When I explained the situation, I was told that there will be nothing done to accommodate owners who did not purchase travel insurance, but that the Destinations program will place the points back into a "hold account" for Destination point users to utilize over a shorter reservation window. I was also informed that II would issue accommodation certificates for affected traders, but with a limited reservation window. So, I was told that nothing would be done for owners using their own week at their own resort.

While it would be a far cry from full (or even half) compensation, they should at the very least allow you to exchange the week for Marriott points, as if you made that decision at the beginning of the year rather than select a week. Understandably, you would still come out on the short end, but at least it would be something. Maybe ask for that as a last resort.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I just received an email from II saying that my September 30 check-in for Harbour Point is being cancelled saying the resort is unavailable.

upload_2017-9-18_14-53-25.png

I called Harbour Point and talked with the front desk. She said that they received a lot of water damage from water being driven in through any small crack by windows and doors.

I guess since Harbour Point was not built by Marriott, maybe the original building materials were not those of Marriott standards. The sister property of Sunset Point is open and was built by Marriott (or so I've read).

We originally had 2 weeks at Barony beginning September 9. I've now retraded both weeks so many times, I'm having a hard time keeping things straight. I'll have to continue to retrade until I get something we really want.

I'm thankful we finally enrolled our weeks in the DC last year. It's been a godsend to be able to keep retrading our exchanges without paying any fees.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
This should start appearing in email inboxes of those registered with MVW any time now.
They have just put out a statement on the impact of Hurricane Irma
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...provides-hurricane-irma-update-300521918.html
This communication is obviously for Wall Street. It is rather disappointing that nothing has been communicated to owners and updated information regarding conditions of resorts isn't posted on the MVC website. This is typical of most US corporations today in that nobody really cares about the core of their businesses: loyal customers.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This communication is obviously for Wall Street. It is rather disappointing that nothing has been communicated to owners and updated information regarding conditions of resorts isn't posted on the MVC website. This is typical of most US corporations today in that nobody really cares about the core of their businesses: loyal customers.

And we are more than loyal customers.....we are owners