• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Irma and Marriott Vacation Club (Multiple threads merged.)

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. It's just something else for those of us with upcoming HHI check-ins to worry about :(
I am right there with you, we have a sept 22 check in at Surfwatch so we are waiting for that update as the week goes on!

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hurricane Irma and OceanWatch in Myrtle Beach are there any reported damage to the resort?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Hurricane Irma and OceanWatch in Myrtle Beach are there any reported damage to the resort?

Myrtle Beach was not in the evacuation zone and I don't think they had any tropical storm warnings either. No mention of Myrtle in media, so I doubt there was much impact there. I don't think Oceanwatch closed at all.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
And for those of us with reservations starting this weekend on the ocean side resorts, this is encouraging from a Town of Hilton Head Facebook post:

Comments

Lori Schrock
How is the Coligny Plaza/beach area?
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 12 hrs · EditedManage

Jordan James
Coligny is fine. Went on the beach and everything!
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· 11 hrs

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aside from insurance, how do the budgets for these properties (e.g St. Thomas) reserve for massive damage to the buildings and grounds? I wonder how much maintenance fees for direct owners and for D.C. Points owners will go up next year to cover the rebuild.......

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
8:30 a.m. today is when the state of South Carolina is going to announce lifting evacuation order and Hilton Head will follow suit.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just heard from the Weather Channel, an official from Columbia, SC at 8:20 a.m. that the southern barrier islands are still closed. Let's see what the rest of the day brings! To pack or not to pack, that is the question!

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster is expected to make an announcement at 10 a.m. Tuesday regarding re-entry. Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner will make an announcemenet directly after.

budnj

TUG Member
Reaction score
One other question, I assume you can search for what is available without releasing your week first? If so, it might be nice to go online and just see the kind of stuff that is available. My inclination, though, is not to retrade if it looks like the HHI resorts will re-open even a day or two after our 9/15 check-in. Even salvaging 5 days in HHI is better than a retrade to somewhere we don't want to go.
We got in this situation last year with Matthew. We were staying at Lakeshore, planning to move to Ocean Pointe. The afternoon before check-in got a call from interval stating that resort would be closed, and I could change res to something else. Logged in to Interval, made an exchange for something that we could use but didn't really want. Then, kept retrading (~12 times) till we got something (Barony) in April. Kept thinking there would be a limit on retrades, but we didn't see one. Also, no fees with these retrades.

rylan

Reaction score
Not sure and I'm interested in that also, as an owner of 2 weeks at MFC. I know our maint fees has reserves, but they are for planned goods replacement.

Aside from insurance, how do the budgets for these properties (e.g St. Thomas) reserve for massive damage to the buildings and grounds? I wonder how much maintenance fees for direct owners and for D.C. Points owners will go up next year to cover the rebuild.......

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I think the post below from earlier in this thread answers the question. Basically for "named" storms there is usually a large deductible based on the value of the insured property. Insurance covers everything over the deductible. After Hurricane Matthew, there was a one time special assessment at the Hilton Head resorts to cover the repairs and stuff that had to be paid out of pocket due to the deductible. I would assume in St. Thomas it would be similar in that they would assess for the deductible and insurance would cover the rest. While the damage in St Thomas sounds like it was more severe than what HHI experienced last year, once the deductible is covered by the owners, the insurance company would do the heavy lifting. Premiums may go up, impacting future maintenance fees.

This is how I understand it works at the US resorts -

They carry two types at each resort, basic with a $ deductible amount and catastrophic with a % deductible. Generally, the "Insurance" line item in the Annual Budgets includes the premiums for both types, and, the deductible in reserve for the basic. The catastrophic deductible isn't in reserve (except where it's mandated by law and/or the owners vote in favor of "fully-funded" reserves) because catastrophic events can't be predicted and their associated costs can't be estimated. It's a matter of opinion but mine is that I don't want MVW collecting and keeping 5%, 10%, whatever % of the resort's total value in reserve to cover the deductible for insurance that may never have a claim against it.

Following Hurricane Matthew last year the catastrophic coverage kicked in for the SC resorts, and then the MF's after the storm included a "Disaster Recovery" line item to cover the deductible for the claim. Each resort had its own issues to deal with so the deductible amounts varied, for examples a Barony Week was assessed $75 and a SurfWatch 2BR Week was assessed $46.89. (Notably, MVW did not include this line item in its percentage-based calculation of its Management Fee.)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Post #23 in this thread from JiminNC:
"If it's a "named storm" insurance deductibles shift from being a fixed amount to a percentage of the value of the structure being insured. A neighbor of ours has a house in Hilton Head and his deductible is like $500 or $1000 for normal storms like thunderstorms, hailstorms, tornados, etc. But for a "named storm" the deductibles skyrocket and are based on a percentage of the value. That was the issue with Marriott after Matthew. The assessments were to cover the huge deductible."

Post #24 from me:
"This is how I understand it [insurance] works at the US resorts -
They carry two types at each resort, basic with a $ deductible amount and catastrophic with a % deductible. Generally, the "Insurance" line item in the Annual Budgets includes the premiums for both types, and, the deductible in reserve for the basic. The catastrophic deductible isn't in reserve (except where it's mandated by law and/or the owners vote in favor of "fully-funded" reserves) because catastrophic events can't be predicted and their associated costs can't be estimated. It's a matter of opinion but mine is that I don't want MVW collecting and keeping 5%, 10%, whatever % of the resort's total value in reserve to cover the deductible for insurance that may never have a claim against it.

Following Hurricane Matthew last year the catastrophic coverage kicked in for the SC resorts, and then the MF's after the storm included a "Disaster Recovery" line item to cover the deductible for the claim. Each resort had its own issues to deal with so the deductible amounts varied, for examples a Barony Week was assessed $75 and a SurfWatch 2BR Week was assessed $46.89. (Notably, MVW did not include this line item in its percentage-based calculation of its Management Fee.)"

I would imagine it works similarly at the Caribbean resorts but the specifics must comply with local laws/regulations so this is a good question for your Board. If they follow the pattern other resort boards have taken after one-off events that impact MF's, they'll be proactive in notifying Owners as they're able to assess the damage. It's probably a good idea to give them some time to do that before blitzing them with questions.

Last year DC Trust Points owners didn't see any Hurricane Matthew-related costs in their MF's because they'd been approved and invoiced prior to the storm. I would expect that this year's accounting will reflect the "Disaster Recovery" fee assessed to the Matthew-impacted Weeks that have been conveyed to the Trust, but the per-Point/Beneficial Interest amount spread over the entirety of Trust conveyances shouldn't make all that much of a difference.

There are other governing docs provisions and financial ramifications which would come into play if resorts sustain so much damage that a major rebuild or permanent closure is being considered, including special voting measures and quorum requirements unique to each resort. Thankfully it doesn't appear that any MVW resorts are facing that right now.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
No major change to the Marriott hotline recording as of 3:30pm on September 12. Says all Hilton Head MVC resorts remain closed, and on site teams are assessing damage and when the resorts will be able to open to arrivals.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having read over recent days that St Kitts fortunately missed any major damage, I was very surprised and therefore sad to just read this update from MVC 15 minutes ago.

Tropical Weather Update: Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma, Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club remains closed. The onsite teams are working to further assess the damage to the resort and determine when we will be able to reopen for arrivals. As always, the safety and security of our Owners, guests and associates is a top priority. For more information, please call the resort hotline at (800)-306-9506.
https://www.facebook.com/MarriottsStKittsBeachClub/posts/1455593171221609

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Barry,

That's the same exact wording of the Hilton Head update, so that is just probably the standard wording being used by corporate until they make a specific determination on re-opening. Even if the basic resort structure escaped unscathed in St Kitts, all it takes is a little water intrusion to require repairs that could take a few weeks. They may also be waiting on the island itself to be willing to accept tourists after infrastructure damage.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since all Marriott Hilton Head employees had to evacuate, I'm sure it will take a day to just get back there and another to assess the damage.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barry,

That's the same exact wording of the Hilton Head update, so that is just probably the standard wording being used by corporate until they make a specific determination on re-opening. Even if the basic resort structure escaped unscathed in St Kitts, all it takes is a little water intrusion to require repairs that could take a few weeks. They may also be waiting on the island itself to be willing to accept tourists after infrastructure damage.
That makes sense.
I guess I was just surprised after reading several days of very positive reports about the island and resort to hear for the first time that there were any closures.
I hadn't previously heard of any real impact on tourists or on travelling to the island, rather I had been hearing about the relief efforts St Kitts had been sending to Saba and other islands.
I will keep eyes and ears open for further news.

Last edited:

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received this email from the Grande Ocean general manager:

GR.jpg

Dear Owners and Guests,

Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma, Marriott's Grande Ocean is currently closed. We are working to further assess the damage to the resort and determine when we will be able to reopen for arrivals.

As always, the safety and security of our Owners, guests and associates is a top priority. A hotline for Owners and guests has been established and we will continue to update as we know more about the state of the property. Please contact the resort's hotline at 800-306-9506 (press option 2 to select Hilton Head from the menu) to obtain the most current information.

For Owners and guests who may need to either cancel or otherwise modify their vacation plans as a result of this situation, please note the following:

• Marriott Vacation Club® Owners using their ownership week(s): Owners with travel insurance coverage should contact their insurance provider to discuss and/or file a claim for disrupted travel plans. Marriott Vacation Club will be providing any closure information to Travelex.
  • Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Owners using Vacation Club Points: Please contact Marriott Vacation Club® Owner Services at 888-682-4862 to discuss available options.
  • Interval International Exchange Guests: Please contact Interval International directly at 800-622-1747 to discuss available options.
All other guests may contact Marriott Vacation Club Customer Care at 800-860-9384 for assistance with your upcoming vacation.

Thank you for understanding,

Massimo Santangelo
General Manager
Marriott's Grande Ocean

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I got the same email from the GM at Barony. I've already retraded my upcoming week. Didn't want to take the chance things might not be open by the weekend.

I just received this email from the Grande Ocean general manager:

GR.jpg

Dear Owners and Guests,

Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma, Marriott's Grande Ocean is currently closed. We are working to further assess the damage to the resort and determine when we will be able to reopen for arrivals.

As always, the safety and security of our Owners, guests and associates is a top priority. A hotline for Owners and guests has been established and we will continue to update as we know more about the state of the property. Please contact the resort's hotline at 800-306-9506 (press option 2 to select Hilton Head from the menu) to obtain the most current information.

For Owners and guests who may need to either cancel or otherwise modify their vacation plans as a result of this situation, please note the following:

• Marriott Vacation Club® Owners using their ownership week(s): Owners with travel insurance coverage should contact their insurance provider to discuss and/or file a claim for disrupted travel plans. Marriott Vacation Club will be providing any closure information to Travelex.
  • Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Owners using Vacation Club Points: Please contact Marriott Vacation Club® Owner Services at 888-682-4862 to discuss available options.
  • Interval International Exchange Guests: Please contact Interval International directly at 800-622-1747 to discuss available options.
All other guests may contact Marriott Vacation Club Customer Care at 800-860-9384 for assistance with your upcoming vacation.

Thank you for understanding,

Massimo Santangelo
General Manager
Marriott's Grande Ocean