• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Irma and Marriott Vacation Club (Multiple threads merged.)

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One other question, I assume you can search for what is available without releasing your week first? If so, it might be nice to go online and just see the kind of stuff that is available. My inclination, though, is not to retrade if it looks like the HHI resorts will re-open even a day or two after our 9/15 check-in. Even salvaging 5 days in HHI is better than a retrade to somewhere we don't want to go.

Correct. You can initiate the retrade process, search but not trade if nothing available

jstoeber

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Surf Club, Ko Olina, Ocean Pointe
Just wondering about DC points reservations at damaged properties. If the reservation is cancelled by Marriott due to damage, will they extend the life of 2017 points used to make the original reservation?

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have photos of the damage to the St. Thomas property and a description of the damage (both at the hotel and the timeshare)?

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have photos of the damage to the St. Thomas property and a description of the damage (both at the hotel and the timeshare)?
take a look at some of the mvci Facebook groups. There are pics posted there along with some extensive descriptions of the damage. Sounds like all checkins at the timeshare until early november are cancelled and the hotel will likely be closed until next year.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It's probably a bit late to mention it, but I'm hoping all affected by these storms are safe. Real estate can be rebuilt, but people's lives may have a harder time being repaired. I officiated a wedding yesterday here in Washington, and some guests had flown in from Houston and New Orleans. They said they were glad for the change of scenery, and to be away from the incredible rain for awhile.

Dave

UK Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondering about DC points reservations at damaged properties. If the reservation is cancelled by Marriott due to damage, will they extend the life of 2017 points used to make the original reservation?
Not usually.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an update on Facebook from a St Thomas MVCI guest. I normally wouldn't copy and paste from another site but I thought it best for others to read her story than my summary. I read another post on Facebook that Mr Marriott was behind getting St Thomas guests and workers to safety in Puerto Rico via boat. I am happy to see the resort was used as a shelter for residents and pets. It's good to see a major corporation with compassion.

Attachments

• IMG_3366.PNG
    IMG_3366.PNG
    222.4 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_3367.PNG
    IMG_3367.PNG
    218.4 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
Our vacation adventure - We came home last night from Marco Island. We were supposed to check out on Saturday and fly home today from Fort Myers. We left there on Wednesday when we changed our airline flight to Saturday from Savannah, GA. We were at a Marriott Fairfield Inn in Bluffton, SC and spent a nice day on Thursday in Hilton Head Island. Then we were evacuated from there by noon on Friday. At this point we realized that the two airline reservations we had out of Savannah were at two different times. Of course there were no flights available for all four of us to fly on together. I was not leaving my 82 year old mother behind for a later flight with her 80 year old sister. Once again we changed our airline flight to Charlotte, NC and took a connecting flight to D.C. then Newark, NJ. Luckily we had rented a mini-van for the week so we had comfortable ride on our journey. Now we have to figure out how to fill our the insurance forms.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
At 2:30pm the northern eye wall of Irma is just coming on shore right over Marco Island. They expect a 10-15 foot storm surge after the eye passes north. Winds up to 120 mph.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
At 2:30pm the northern eye wall of Irma is just coming on shore right over Marco Island. They expect a 10-15 foot storm surge after the eye passes north. Winds up to 120 mph.
Any updates on Crystal Shores?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Any updates on Crystal Shores?
I think it is very early still. The eye passed directly over Marco Island and there are still storm surge warnings for the area and it is still under mandatory evacuation. We probably won't start to get our first pictures of footage from the area until tomorrow afternoon.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an update on Facebook from a St Thomas MVCI guest. I normally wouldn't copy and paste from another site but I thought it best for others to read her story than my summary. I read another post on Facebook that Mr Marriott was behind getting St Thomas guests and workers to safety in Puerto Rico via boat. I am happy to see the resort was used as a shelter for residents and pets. It's good to see a major corporation with compassion.

Thanks for posting.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're to check into Grande Ocean on Hilton Head this Saturday. I called the phone number on my Interval Confirmation Certificate. It fed immediately into a crisis hotline. Press 1 for Florida; Press 2 for Hilton Head (so far I'm impressed they're that organized). The recorded message is that on Saturday, Hilton Head Marriott resorts were closed and evacuated and no staff is present. The recording encouraged checking back. I'm watching CNN and Charleston is now getting the effect, so I'll try tomorrow and report back to you dear friends.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
FYI the most current information on Marriott's Crisis Hotline / 800-306-9506

As of 9AM 9/11/17, all Florida resorts: Hurricane Irma has passed all resorts, staff members are assessing damage. If you've been evacuated or have upcoming reservations that may be impacted, monitor the hotline and

- Owners using their owned Weeks who have trip insurance, contact your provider. Marriott is providing Travelex with all closure information.
- Members using DC Points, contact Owner Services at 888-682-4862
- Interval International exchangers, contact II directly at 800-622-1747
- All others, contact Customer Care at 800-860-9384

As of 9AM, 9/10/17, all Hilton Head Island resorts: All resorts remain closed and unstaffed due to the mandatory evacuation. Monitor the hotline and

- Owners, contact Owner Services at 800-845-4226
- Interval International exchangers, contact II directly at 800-622-1747
- All others, contact Customer Care at 800-860-9384

All other resorts that may be impacted by Hurricane Irma: The resorts are operating normally at this time and the situation is being monitored. If you leave your unit please take valuables and prescriptions with you just in case evacuation/closure is ordered while you're out.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Based on the pictures being posted online at http://www.islandpacket.com it appears there is significant flooding on Hilton Head. Sea walls have been breached in Shelter Cove, Harbour Town, Palmetto Bay, Bluffton (docks destroyed). Hudson's Seafood dock is submerged. Some roads in Hilton Head Plantation and Sea Pines are under water. Singleton Beach Road under two-three feet of water. The marsh in the Hilton Head Resort has become an extension of the ocean. Just now on The Weather Channel, the mayor of Tybee Island, Georgia said the flooding was "significantly worse than Matthew." Also some photos of downed trees in Sea Pines, Shelter Cove, and elsewhere.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope people heeded the evacuation and that everyone is safe. Flooding that is worse than Matthew...*sigh*

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the pictures being posted online at http://www.islandpacket.com it appears there is significant flooding on Hilton Head. Sea walls have been breached in Shelter Cove, Harbour Town, Palmetto Bay, Bluffton (docks destroyed). Hudson's Seafood dock is submerged. Some roads in Hilton Head Plantation and Sea Pines are under water. Singleton Beach Road under two-three feet of water. The marsh in the Hilton Head Resort has become an extension of the ocean. Just now on The Weather Channel, the mayor of Tybee Island, Georgia said the flooding was "significantly worse than Matthew." Also some photos of downed trees in Sea Pines, Shelter Cove, and elsewhere.

Jim, I heard the same report on the Weather Channel. The mayor said that like Matthew the flooding wasn't on the ocean side but the marsh side, so that's where all the places you named are getting their flood waters. I'm hopeful that the ocean side resorts can open by the weekend. We need this rest and vacation. The forecast after today looks great!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Jose is still out there, and now some of the forecast models are showing it threatening the SC or NC coast early next week.

12L_gefs_12z.png

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Jose is still out there, and now some of the forecast models are showing it threatening the SC or NC coast early next week.

View attachment 4736
As of now, looks like literally one of the dozens of possibilities shows it impacting the Carolinas so hopefully that doesn't come to pass.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, contain yourself. :) If you hate being the bearer of bad news, then ...

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Thanks to those who wished us good luck with our home on HHI. We've gotten word from a neighbor that we're in very good shape with only a few downed limbs and enough leafy debris to keep us busy for a few days next week. That's definitely what I'd call good luck. :)

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
As of now, looks like literally one of the dozens of possibilities shows it impacting the Carolinas so hopefully that doesn't come to pass.

I agree. It's just something else for those of us with upcoming HHI check-ins to worry about :(

The good news is, both of the two main forecast models used by NOAA - the European Model and the GFS - show Jose taking another northward turn sometime after Saturday and missing the southeast coast, but this far out, the accuracy is not that good. So as I said, it's just something else to worry about...

I did read tonight that they are hopeful the island can re-open to residents and businesses Tuesday morning after the bridges are cleared as safe by SC DOT. Right now according to the Palmetto Electric web site, only about 2000 or so homes are still without power on HHI. Assuming the island infrastructure is in good shape and there is no more flooding at high tide tonight, I would think there would be economic incentive to try to get the island re-opened to tourists by the weekend to avoid two lost weekends of revenue. Hopefully there is no major water damage at the Marriott properties.