• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Irma and Marriott Vacation Club (Multiple threads merged.)

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
For anyone who is currently at MFC this week is there any evacuations or special prep that the MFC management is doing? Wishing anyone there a safe next couple of days.

Best wishes,

Chuck

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
For anyone who is currently at MFC this week is there any evacuations or special prep that the MFC management is doing? Wishing anyone there a safe next couple of days.

Best wishes,

Chuck
We have flights and reservations on Friday morning. The website just say monitoring the storm and still operational. I'm wondering too what prep there is for those on site now. I'm pretty sure we won't be making there.....just hope everyone there is safe.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
When we were at St Kitts a few years ago during a tropical storm, they had clearly defined procedures. While it was not a direct hit, they did move all furniture indoors (lawn chairs, tables, etc), closed windows, closed blinds, and provided instructions on how and were to go to stay safe. Information was clearly posted and marked on every villa.

I expect most MVC Caribbean resorts have well written procedures for these situations....although a Cat4/5 storm is a bit different than what we experienced as a tropical storm. For our experience, it just ended up being enough to ruin our vacation (high winds and rain....but no severe damage or flooding).

Stay safe and I hope all goes well.

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone sees or hears any reports about the extent of the damage sustained at either the St. Kitts or the Frenchman's Cove properties, I'd appreciate it if you'd let us know. Thanks.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The reports I have seen on St Kitts indicate thankfully that the island missed the worst of the hurricane effects as Irma passed mostly to the North.
I have seen photos of some damage, e.g. trees uprooted in Independence Square in Basseterre.
The Marriott though seems largely unaffected, apart from the separate white domed marquee type structure along by the golf course which has lost much of its roof.
St Thomas unfortunately had it far worse.
A large boat was washed up on to the beach at the Cove and a roof came off a building along at the hotel towards Mafolie restaurant.
Best wishes for the safety of everyone there.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1

Bill4728

Reaction score
hopefully being on the south side of st thomas, while the storm passed to the north, helped a little bit

Those of you affected, You are in our thoughts and prayers.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_5795.JPG

This photo was posted from Frenchman's Cove, but it was reported that everyone there is safe.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Notice posted at owners.marriottvacationclub.com:

"Tropical Weather Update:
We are currently monitoring Hurricane Irma. Our Florida and South Carolina resorts that may be affected by the storm are taking the appropriate precautions, but all resorts remain open and fully-operational at this time. As always, the safety and security of our Owners, guests and associates is a top priority. For more information, please call the resort hotline at (800)-306-9506."

If you're onsite the resort personnel will keep you informed via the in-unit telephone and flyers placed under the doors. The hotline information currently suggests that incoming guests should monitor the recorded hotline messages and use these numbers if you have any questions:

MVC Owners: Owner Services, 800-845-4226
Interval International Exchangers: II, 800-622-1747
Other Guests: MVC Customer Care, 800-860-9384

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Warily looking at Irma's projected path for possible impacts to Hilton Head. Current National Hurricane Center forecast brings it onshore right on Georgia/South Carolina border on Monday afternoon, putting HHI on the strongest side of the eye wall. Until Matthew, they hadn't had a hurricane strike in 100 years; now maybe two direct hits in less than 12 months.

We're supposed to check-in to Grande Ocean on an exchange in a little over a week on the 15th, so that is obviously in definite jeopardy. The forecast direct hit would shut the island down for weeks, just like Matthew did.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Warily looking at Irma's projected path for possible impacts to Hilton Head. Current National Hurricane Center forecast brings it onshore right on Georgia/South Carolina border on Monday afternoon, putting HHI on the strongest side of the eye wall. Until Matthew, they hadn't had a hurricane strike in 100 years; now maybe two direct hits in less than 12 months.

We're supposed to check-in to Grande Ocean on an exchange in a little over a week on the 15th, so that is obviously in definite jeopardy. The forecast direct hit would shut the island down for weeks, just like Matthew did.
Fortunately (for SC), based on the current path....Florida is expected to take the biggest blow, and last report I saw had the status downgraded to a level 1 by the time it did the second landfall in GA/SC.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fortunately (for SC), based on the current path....Florida is expected to take the biggest blow, and last report I saw had the status downgraded to a level 1 by the time it did the second landfall in GA/SC.

Boy I sure hope for that downgrade! We finished the remodel on our home in Leamington shortly before Matthew hit and luckily then only lost a tree. We're heading down next Sunday, keeping our fingers crossed that it'll be a vacation and not the start of another round with a contractor.

But it's just a home, after all, and our concern is much more with the people who are losing everything. It's really hard - not to mention it would be despicable - to feel sorry for ourselves now seeing the reports out of the islands and Florida.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
We're supposed to check into Barony this Saturday, Sept. 9 for a 2 week stay. I called the front desk and they will follow what the Governor orders. He's expected to announce mandatory evacuation beginning Saturday morning. We're taking a wait and see position.

This is like deja vu for us. Last year we were at Harbour Point on HHI the week Hurricane Matthew hit. We had to leave on Wednesday.

Sue, I hope your home will be OK as well as others who own and live on HHI.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Level 1 is certainly better than Level 5, but remember Hurricane Matthew was a level 1 when it hit HHI last year. So even with a level 1, and with all of the trees in HHI, significant wind damage and storm surge can still occur. The only thing that might help a bit is, since Matthew was the first storm to hit HHI in a century, it may have weeded out some of the weaker trees, so those that remain may be a little better able to withstand the storm.

The latest (5pm EDT) advisory from the National Hurricane Center did shift the forecast track to the west a bit, which keeps the center of the storm over land after the initial landfall in south Florida rather than it going back out over the coastal waters. That may help the storm degrade faster and mitigate the impacts farther up toward Georgia and SC. We'll see if that forecast sticks or shifts again.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were checking into Surfwatch this Saturday. This is the email we received regarding Irma.

Dear Owners and Guests,

We look forward to welcoming you for your upcoming vacation at Marriott's SurfWatch.

Before your departure to Marriott's SurfWatch, we wanted to make you aware that, based on forecasts from the National Weather Service, South Carolina is potentially in the path of Hurricane Irma. While there is not a current threat to the resort or areas immediately surrounding the resort, conditions can change at any time. The resort's management team is continuing to monitor advisories that may be issued by state and local emergency service agencies.

Please be aware that the Governor of the State of South Carolina is anticipated to announce the State's decision regarding potential evacuations of coastal areas by 10:00 a.m., ET, on Saturday, September 9.

We encourage you to actively monitor the current situation in South Carolina before you depart. A hotline for Owners and guests has also been established. Please contact the resort's hotline at 800-306-9506 (press 2 to select Hilton Head Island from the menu) to stay up-to-date with the most current information.

For Owners and guests who may need to either cancel or otherwise modify their vacation plans as a result of this potential situation, please note the following:

• Marriott Vacation Club® Owners using their ownership week(s): Owners with travel insurance coverage should contact their insurance provider to discuss and/or file a claim for disrupted travel plans. Marriott Vacation Club will be providing any closure information to Travelex.
  • Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Owners using Vacation Club Points: Please contact Marriott Vacation Club® Owner Services at 888-682-4862 to discuss available options.
  • Interval International Exchange Guests: Please contact Interval International directly at 800-622-1747 to discuss available options.
All other guests may contact Marriott Vacation Club Customer Care at 800-860-9384 for assistance with your upcoming vacation.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVW has started to announce closures of coastal Florida resorts. I listened to the updates for BPT and Oceana Palms which are both being closed due to mandatory evacuation orders, safe to assume a few others will as well.

Grande Vista's update suggests that guests should monitor the hotline but take valuables and prescriptions with them each time they leave the unit just in case evac/closure orders happen while they're out, and it mentions that Orlando Int'l Airport's last flight out is scheduled for Saturday at 5PM.

For updates both pre- and post-storm the hotline number is 800-306-9506. If you're scheduled to arrive within the next week you should be monitoring it. If you're already onsite, don't ignore the blinking message light on the in-unit phone.

Be safe, everyone.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Latest NHC track forecast looks a little more concerning for Crystal Shores and Orlando resorts. Still serious for south Florida resorts. Maybe a little more optimistic for Hilton Head.

Irma 11pm Graphic.jpg

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has just been posted on one of the MVC Owners FB Groups by someone staying at Frenchman's Cove, St Thomas and very sadly if accurate is terrible news for the island and bad news for the resort and hotel.

Update from friends on St Thomas:

"Not expecting to have power for a few more days and that will be from a generator. The control room was breached by a flying tree and water fried the control board. They can't get it out of emergency lock off mode. There are 53,000 people on this island and we were just told that over 40,000 are now homeless. The airport is demolished. No idea how we're getting out of here. Emergency meeting tomorrow am from the Marriott GM. It's very hot. Very muggy. Gross. They have been feeding us sandwiches."

rylan

Reaction score
Sounds in line with what I've heard from some others who are on the island... for Frenchman's Cove they were on generator power early on however the generator went out due to storm damage.
Island power is out and no date when it will be restored.
Jost Van Dyke (building 1) suffered damage to approximately half of the roof.
Other buildings had water damage on low floor units.
Pool, beach, and grounds suffered severe damage.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, we check into Grande Ocean the 16th! God willing! Maybe we can meet up at the cocktail party? Fingers Crossed! We need this vacation!

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Thoughts and prayers to all impacted by Irma.

My understanding is that all resorts are insured in some way through Marriott. I got that understanding from someone working at the Heritage Club on HHI who was told Marriott was forcing the construction to be completed by a certain timeframe or insurance would not be renewed.

Does anyone know if MVCI is self insured for the resorts, have individual policies through MVCI or one policy that all resorts fall under.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers to all impacted by Irma.

My understanding is that all resorts are insured in some way through Marriott. I got that understanding from someone working at the Heritage Club on HHI who was told Marriott was forcing the construction to be completed by a certain timeframe or insurance would not be renewed.

Does anyone know if MVCI is self insured for the resorts, have individual policies through MVCI or one policy that all resorts fall under.
I recall reading after Hurricane Matthew that although the resorts have insurance through whichever channel, as you would expect, the excess on the policy is so high that this explains why the repair costs necessitate the Special Assessments which had to be paid by owners.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I recall reading after Hurricane Matthew that although the resorts have insurance through whichever channel, as you would expect, the excess on the policy is so high that this explains why the repair costs necessitate the Special Assessments which had to be paid by owners.

If it's a "named storm" insurance deductibles shift from being a fixed amount to a percentage of the value of the structure being insured. A neighbor of ours has a house in Hilton Head and his deductible is like $500 or $1000 for normal storms like thunderstorms, hailstorms, tornados, etc. But for a "named storm" the deductibles skyrocket and are based on a percentage of the value. That was the issue with Marriott after Matthew. The assessments were to cover the huge deductible.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is how I understand it works at the US resorts -

They carry two types at each resort, basic with a $ deductible amount and catastrophic with a % deductible. Generally, the "Insurance" line item in the Annual Budgets includes the premiums for both types, and, the deductible in reserve for the basic. The catastrophic deductible isn't in reserve (except where it's mandated by law and/or the owners vote in favor of "fully-funded" reserves) because catastrophic events can't be predicted and their associated costs can't be estimated. It's a matter of opinion but mine is that I don't want MVW collecting and keeping 5%, 10%, whatever % of the resort's total value in reserve to cover the deductible for insurance that may never have a claim against it.

Following Hurricane Matthew last year the catastrophic coverage kicked in for the SC resorts, and then the MF's after the storm included a "Disaster Recovery" line item to cover the deductible for the claim. Each resort had its own issues to deal with so the deductible amounts varied, for examples a Barony Week was assessed $75 and a SurfWatch 2BR Week was assessed $46.89. (Notably, MVW did not include this line item in its percentage-based calculation of its Management Fee.)

Last edited: