• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to spend ~six hours in Williamsburg?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Next month we'll be driving from Richmond to visit my best friend and his family at their home in Virginia Beach. While waiting for them to return home that day, we'll have about six hours to spend along the way. We'd like to make a stop in Colonial Williamsburg. I'm hoping for some advice about what is the simplest way to see the town.

I was there many years ago, and I'm sure there is plenty more to see now than there used to be. At that time, we parked and walked around the streets of town, saw the old Courthouse (?) and some static displays set up in restored colonial buildings. Is it still possible to do that, or are things more structured than it was back then? If it's not possible to walk around on our own, what would you recommend is the easiest way to get the most colonial bang for the buck - in six hours? If there is more time required than the six hours we'll have that day, we'll have a full day about a week later to come back and see things in more detail.

Dave

mbinpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously the easiest way is on foot - without spending a lot of $$ getting a daily pass and parking at the visitor's center, you can park anyway you find a spot (I like behind Barnes and Noble) and just walk the main street. The Church is open to anyone and there shops are all open to anyone. Going the other way is the College of William and Mary.

If you have been to Colonial W'burg before (believe me, it hasn't changed) then might I suggest Jamestown? About 20 minutes or less for Colonial W'burg and pretty interesting. There is a relatively new center there that is informative and they have the 3 full sized replica ships you can board. 6 hours would be about right if you include lunch.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Second the Jamestown stop for being about the right length of time. You can also look at the daily calendar for Colonial Williamsburg to see what is happening that day and plan accordingly.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That may work better. We could do Jamestown on the way south, then plan to do a full day at Williamsburg on the way north the next week.

Thanks!

Dave

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Hi Dave,

On your way from Richmond to Jamestown, I would consider stopping to visit a couple of the James River Plantations.

For more info, see an older Tug Thread - James River Plantations

Have a great trip

Richard

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Search Hampton Roads Virginia and you will find quite a bit to do and see on the way to Virginia Beach.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Colonial Williamsburg won't be much different than when you last visited. Only a few structures have changed. With that said, the Merchant's Square area is very different with expansion and different shops and restaurants.

I'd do just what you suggested. Get there, park and walk around. Get lunch at the Blue Talon Bistro. No need to get a ticket for six hours.