• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to Make the Most of Your Credit Card Points

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
How to Make the Most of Your Credit Card Points
By Lucas Peterson/ Travel/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"The days of hoarding airline miles may be coming to an end. Increasingly, they can be frustrating to use, expire more quickly and devalue more sharply, sometimes without notice. Value seekers in recent years have gravitated toward points attached to credit cards as opposed to miles tied to a particular carrier: Points are more flexible and can be transferred to different airline partners, hotel groups, or even redeemed for cash. But what is the most efficient use of a stockpile of points? Here is a look at three of the more popular programs — Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou Rewards — and a breakdown of how to get the biggest bang for your point...."

12FRUGAL-master768.jpg

Andy Rash

Richard

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still think the best approach is being loyal to one carrier if you can take advantage of using one carrier and get their card and max out miles for that carrier.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still think the best approach is being loyal to one carrier if you can take advantage of using one carrier and get their card and max out miles for that carrier.
That's only about half the story. Yes, you want to focus on one airline or one hotel chain, but not to the exclusion of others. The key to points and miles is to diversify. Often your hotel/airline or their partners will not have availablity in your proposed destination. The simple solution is to consult another loyalty program, but if you only have points from your favorite, you may be out of luck.

I have a prefered carrier but i travel often and have diverse needs for points and miles. I always accumulate whatever I can and try to maximize them. Today with flexible programs you can often find a few thousand miles in a program can be successfully supplemented.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree for the most part. For us....we are loyal Southwest and Marriott. We have changed plans this year and are not focused on Chase UR because they have a direct 1 to 1 transfer to both. This allows us to still work the two that we are loyal to, but also if the need arises to switch to another we are covered. Example: We took a last minute trip to Marriott Frenchmans St Thomas last month. SW does not fly there. We were able to use our UR for Jet Blue instead.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I use an assortment of cards to get great benefits.

Hyatt Visa - Get one night free certificate a year and 2 when you sign up. Yes there is a small annual fee but the free voucher is worth way more. My wife has card too. We spent Christmas in the keys at Hyatt Resort 2015, 2 days Grand Hyatt in San Francisco, This year we are spending 1 night at Hyatt Resort Bonita Springs and 1 night in Miami at Hyatt South Beach. All free with sign up bonus or annual vouchers.

Marriott Rewards card same deal

IHG Master Card - 10 plus free nights earned and maximize points with there point break deals when possible plus a free night voucher annually.

Hilton Amex - I have this, but not really a big fan will probably drop it

Wanted to go to Hawaii used sign up Bonus and shopping portals to get AA mile on AA Master card to fly to Hawaii wto people RT.

SPG Amex - I like the best for items non food or travel related. SPG points are some of the most flexible of all and now 1:3 transfer to Marriott

Sapphire Reserve or Preferred - Most Valuable for Travel or Dinning Charges. Ultimate Rewards Transfer to many partners. Plus get up to 1.5 cents per point on air travel booked with chase.

Southwest Card - Signup Bonus counts toward companion pass and so does annual points the give on renewal. I only keep this card because the annual bonus on renewal while $99 gives you 6K miles toward bonus so really card costs $10 bucks a year.

Citi Prestiege if paying for hotel rooms 4th night is always free... But there point program not as lucrative.

My go to method is if charge is only one award point goes on Amex SPG. They have great reward rates and points transfer 1:1 or better to almost all airlines. If I get 2 or more points use Chase Sapphire for the Ultimate Rewards... And Pay all TS Maintenance fees on this card. If I stay a paid night in hotel use that hotels card for max points and bill every thing I eat or do in hotel to room to maximize points. And finally if I fly book tickets using that carriers card.

Trust me this is a lot of cards but as long as you pay off monthly it doesn't really effect credit mine is excellent.

jeysa

Reaction score
Hmm..never actually looked at it from this point of view! Great tip. Thank you for the idea. The reason i love this forum..i get very many amaizing tips :)