*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

How to get Hard Water stains off shower glass door?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Cathyb, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Cathyb

Cathyb Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We have a see-thru glass shower and have faithfully used that Tilex after showers. However we now notice 'hard water stains' that have no feel when you rub your hand over the area.

Yesterday we put Lime-Away on some of the area -- no evidence of improvement :( . Any ideas on what we can buy to remove this 'yuck' and not harm the glass surface?

TIA

2. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I just used CLR to remove calcium hard water build-up from where it dries on our brick and aggregate walks outside. It bubbles and seems to take the stuff off pretty well. I've seen it at home centers. Wear rubber gloves and you may want to use an old 3-M scrubber pad.

To keep your glass shower clean, squeegee it after you shower. It just takes a few seconds. After 10 years, ours still looks like new.

Jim Ricks

3. pittle

pittle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
    Spot-X

There is a fine powder called Spot-X that works wonders. I first bought it on the internet when we moved into a house that the shower doors looked awful. It came with a very fine non-scratch scrubbing pad, but cost much more than the same product that I found at Lowes without the scrubbing pad. The bottle is yellow with a red cap and bright blue label.

Once you get it clean, buy a good squeegee and teach everyone that uses the shower to squeegee off all the water after a shower. You will be amazed how much better your doors will look and how long they stay spot-free.

4. Phydeaux

Phydeaux TUG Member

CLR, then sqweegy after every use.

5. Rose Pink

Rose Pink TUG Member

Had the same problem with windows that were spotted by the sprinklers. Nothing, nothing worked. I tried all the products and nothing worked. Sometimes I think it is the glass that has altered and is not something on the glass. I've also had drinking glasses that cloud up over time. Nothing gets the stuff "off" them. I googled it and read about a condition called "sick glass." It is actually a change in the glass itself and therefore will not come off.

I hope this is not your problem and that you can find something that will work.

6. pjrose

pjrose Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

There was a long thread about this a few years ago:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82888&highlight=glass

I had that problem on my windows; supposedly during a heavy rain if the rain came through the screen, it took metal (?) from the screen and that, over the years, etched the glass. However I got it off with this incredible stuff that I believe was called Zap .....it came in a plastic canister with pre-satured wipes....but I think it was discontinued.

If your doors are one-way mirrored, don't put anything on the coated side. (I don't know if that's the inside or outside :eek: )

7. Dori

Dori TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I think my shower doors have sick glass. I have tried everything and they never look any better. I think the problem is the glass itself, but because it is a 3-part slider, the cost is horrendous to replace the doors.

Dori

8. Don

Don TUG Member

Try Magic Eraser. It works on ours, but ours may not be as bad as you describe yours to be.

9. Cathyb

Thank you all for your ideas!

Thanks so much! I've got my 'cleaning product' list from here and the other post recommended -- As someone once said ' I'll be back' when I find the product that does the job. You Tuggers are terrific :cheer:

10. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Is Zap the product use to remove wall paper?

11. pjrose

No, it was specifically to clean hard-to-clean glass. I can't find it online anymore. It came in a cannister like the shopping-cart wipes at stores. My guess is that it had very strong chemicals that were not allowable (?). I'm not sure it was called Zap - maybe ZZap, or something like that.

12. RonB

RonB TUG Member

Lime Away
    Spot-X Hard Water Spot and Stain Remover
    Bar Keepers Friend

I have not tried any of these, but they may help ~ Ron

13. Rose Pink

Rose Pink TUG Member

You can also try scraping with a razor blade to see if anything comes off. Be careful not to scratch the glass.

14. Kal

Kal TUG Member

I have been using a product I purchased from a company that sells window glass. It's worked very well but recently my wife purchased a product at an automobile parts store to clean the finish on her car. It is called Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. It removes "environmental contaminants, fallout, brake dust, tree sap and more that have bonded to the paint finish".

It really does the job. She used it on the windshield and the results were fantastic.

Give it a look!

15. pjrose

This is a great idea. Someone recently recommended it to me to restore the finish of dull weathered paint. His truck had a beautifully shiny finish, though he said it was awful when he first bought it before he used the "clay". Meguiar's products are excellent.

16. MuranoJo

MuranoJo TUG Member

We live in a hard-water area and our lower windows would occasionally get hit by the sprinklers. Shower Power worked for me, and it's marketed as a shower cleaner product.

However, we have the same problem with the glass shower door. It's tough to train people to squeegie after every shower when they're in a hurry. Heck, it's tough to get DH to remember to turn on the vent fan before getting into the shower.

17. Cathyb

Lime-away--didn't work fo us

Lime-away failed -- boohoo. Applied three different applications over an hour. That was the first stuff we tried. Also just bought Magic Eraser and no luck. Will keep trying the other suggestions. Thank you all!

18. vckempson

vckempson TUG Member

If it is truly hard water calcium, then Muriatic acid will take it right off. That's the definitive solution for calcium deposits. It's very caustic stuff, so use gloves and pore a little bit outside into big plastic cup. It is an acid after all. If will foam up like crazy as it disolves the calcium. Protect the surrounding area with plastic, open your windows and have some water to dilute and rinse. You can get it at Sears Hardware, or Home Depot. If that doesn't take it off, then it's not calcium build up from hard water.

If the glass is oxidized, I saw this stuff on TV that's made to clean auto headlights. It restores/repairs the oxidation so it's clear again. I have no first hand experience with it, but just saw it on TV yesterday. Here's a link to check it out.

http://www.asseenontvus.com/fast-brite/

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  19. Kal

Kal TUG Member

Muriatic acid is a pretty strong acid as it will eat concrete AND any metallic trim around the glass window. IMHO, I wouldn't use it as you could easily end up with a much bigger problem.