• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to find floating weeks trading power [floating week at Wyndham Ave Plaza]

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I am not sure on where to post this, so I hope it gets some traction.
I have a couple of questions about floating weeks?
  1. How do I find out what it's trading power is? I have an EOY floating week at Wyndham Ave Plaza.
  2. Is RCI weeks the only way to trade this? Is there information on getting an account already in TUG?
  3. Is there a thread or website that discusses fixed/floating week ownership in detail?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming it has not been converted into points, you can deposit it with any exchange company to which the resort will verify ownership. Avenue Plaza is listed in II's Directory, so presumably you can deposit it there, but call the resort to be sure.

To deposit it, I believe you'd have to reserve a specific week using the regular mechanism you would use for personal use, and then deposit it to the exchange company of your choice. So, you'll need to play with the RCI Deposit Calculator to see which weeks (a) you are eligible to book (b) have the highest TPU values.

And as for Question 3: It's called TUG. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Most timeshare are affiliated with Interval or RCI, and the resort will only deposit your week with the company they are affiliated with. You can call the owner services number that you call to make reservations, to find out what company they are affiliated with, and the procedure for depositing.

There are also independent exchange companies, and you would contact them directly to find out if they will accept your deposit and all the details. (See list at the top of the exhanging forum.)

RCI has a deposit calculator, but only members can use it.

Interval doesn't reveal trading power, so what we know is based on personal experience and past practice.

Is there a thread or website that discusses fixed/floating week ownership in detail?
If you are specifically asking about exchanging, that would be the TUG exchanging forum.

If you are asking about the resort itself, that would be the Wyndham forum (this forum.)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
avenue is affiliated with both RCI and II

The RCI deposit calculator shows a week 30 2018 one bedroom to be worth 28 tpu

what week do you have?

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
avenue is affiliated with both RCI and II

The RCI deposit calculator shows a week 30 2018 one bedroom to be worth 28 tpu

what week do you have?
It is week 11 one bedroom. What is an example of a 28 TPU place?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
RCI TPU ranges from 1-60, although few are close to 60.

28 TPU would be considered an average/mid-range resort.

With 28 TPU, you should be able to reserve something that is similar in size and quality to what you own.

Important: What dates are in the season that you own, or is does it float all year?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
week 11 is 34 tpu... but the closer you get to check in the less its worth..week 11 2018 is 32 tpu

I dont know rci well enough to know what it will get

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise has a point. It floats all year except the 5 event weeks (Mardi Gras, Jazz fest and sugar bowl) the way it works is that you call the regular reservations folks, make your reservation and they will arrange to deposit it

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Thanks everyone. It doesn't seem like it worth paying for an exchange membership just for 1 week.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Most timeshare are affiliated with Interval or RCI, and the resort will only deposit your week with the company they are affiliated with. You can call the owner services number that you call to make reservations, to find out what company they are affiliated with, and the procedure for depositing.

There are also independent exchange companies, and you would contact them directly to find out if they will accept your deposit and all the details. (See list at the top of the exhanging forum.)

RCI has a deposit calculator, but only members can use it.

Interval doesn't reveal trading power, so what we know is based on personal experience and past practice.

If you are specifically asking about exchanging, that would be the TUG exchanging forum.

If you are asking about the resort itself, that would be the Wyndham forum (this forum.)

I exchanged my Smuggs floater with Trading Places (and Smuggs Owners Services never even heard of Trading Places), even though they are affiliated with Wyndham and RCI. I have also used DAE. I have weeks, but I believe DAE also will allow RCI Points exchanges.

I have free memberships with all the small independent exchange companies and have used them several times. I do not belong to RCI. But I am a straight out deeded fixed and floating smuggs week owner- not Wyndham or RCI points.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Just FYI:
I own a fixed week at Wyndham Avenue Plaza and I tried to add it to my RCI account recently. I was told I have to go through the resort to add it. But my other resort that is not Wyndham could be added to my RCI account easily. So... I believe that if you want to add a legacy week that is managed by Wyndham to RCI you will have to go through at least a bit of sales presentation BS to get what you want.

---

Also RCI does not value Mardi Gras. It's really weird. Mardi Gras week 2018 only gets you 32 max TPU but the week after Mardi Gras, the week when there are no parades and no special activities can get you max 41 TPU. I think that's because that week is President's week. RCI doesn't use special events for their TPU calculator algorithm. They use standard national holidays. So they look at when people are most likely to take time off work and travel rather than looking at when people WANT to travel.

THUS, if you know you can get a week that has some sort of special value - an event week like Mardi Gras in NOLA or Modernism Week in Palm Springs or Daytona Bike Week - you might be better served by renting out that week than by depositing it into RCI.

Also, just FYI, at Wyndham Avenue Plaza, week 9 is Mardi Gras week. It's NOT week 10. Week 8 is always the week before Mardi Gras week. Special event weeks are treated differently. It's very complicated and there's A LOT of misinformation about NOLA event weeks. For instance, I've seen ads that talk about the 'Super Bowl' when really it's the 'Sugar Bowl'. So if anyone is considering buying a legacy week in NOLA first do a lot of research!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just FYI:
I own a fixed week at Wyndham Avenue Plaza and I tried to add it to my RCI account recently. I was told I have to go through the resort to add it. But my other resort that is not Wyndham could be added to my RCI account easily. So... I believe that if you want to add a legacy week that is managed by Wyndham to RCI you will have to go through at least a bit of sales presentation BS to get what you want.

---

Also RCI does not value Mardi Gras. It's really weird. Mardi Gras week 2018 only gets you 32 max TPU but the week after Mardi Gras, the week when there are no parades and no special activities can get you max 41 TPU. I think that's because that week is President's week. RCI doesn't use special events for their TPU calculator algorithm. They use standard national holidays. So they look at when people are most likely to take time off work and travel rather than looking at when people WANT to travel.

THUS, if you know you can get a week that has some sort of special value - an event week like Mardi Gras in NOLA or Modernism Week in Palm Springs or Daytona Bike Week - you might be better served by renting out that week than by depositing it into RCI.

Also, just FYI, at Wyndham Avenue Plaza, week 9 is Mardi Gras week. It's NOT week 10. Week 8 is always the week before Mardi Gras week. Special event weeks are treated differently. It's very complicated and there's A LOT of misinformation about NOLA event weeks. For instance, I've seen ads that talk about the 'Super Bowl' when really it's the 'Sugar Bowl'. So if anyone is considering buying a legacy week in NOLA first do a lot of research!

Actually to add an Avenue Plaza week to RCI you have to call the Wyndham call center that handles reservations for Avenue Plaza (they do more than just Avenue Plaza) The resort no longer handles reservations or RCI deposits.

In terms of complications working with an Avenue Plaza week, They have changed their policies regarding split weeks and Avenue Plaza Time (RTU weeks). so as you say...be careful with this stuff.. its complicated.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Actually to add an Avenue Plaza week to RCI you have to call the Wyndham call center that handles reservations for Avenue Plaza (they do more than just Avenue Plaza) The resort no longer handles reservations or RCI deposits.

In terms of complications working with an Avenue Plaza week, They have changed their policies regarding split weeks and Avenue Plaza Time (RTU weeks). so as you say...be careful with this stuff.. its complicated.
Yes, I tried to make a split week reservation at the beginning of the year and was told you can no longer make concurrent split week reservations. That is the only reason I bought the floating week. When I called last month to make reservation, i was told it can be done again (because of owner outrage). Both changes were made without notice.
These complication are why I am investigating the exchange. But as mentioned, it may be cheaper/easier to to rent to a family/friends

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I tried to make a split week reservation at the beginning of the year and was told you can no longer make concurrent split week reservations. That is the only reason I bought the floating week. When I called last month to make reservation, i was told it can be done again (because of owner outrage). Both changes were made without notice.
These complication are why I am investigating the exchange. But as mentioned, it may be cheaper/easier to to rent to a family/friends
I sold 14 avenue Plaza weeks because of that change. Now you tell me that they changed back...damn,

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I sold 14 avenue Plaza weeks because of that change. Now you tell me that they changed back...damn,
Ron, that's alot of money.
I assume the agent I spoke with is correct; I did not book a concurrent reservation at that time because I had already used the 3 day part.
I think the must have had a bunch of people not pay their MFs once they found out. I love NOLA but I would not want to stay a whole week. The split week made it perfect to book 2 rooms for an extended weekend family trip.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai

I've noticed this as well in previous years. I think the RCI algorithm uses the "average" week of Mardi Gras but not the "actual" week for the high TPU. A simple IT tweak would fix this, but oh well.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
A simple IT tweak would fix this, but oh well.

You do realize the same company owns Wyndham and RCI, right? There's no such thing as "simple IT" for them.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Does anyone know an estimated cost to convert this (wk11) to points? I assume it is like buying developer points, but I wanted to ask to verify.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know an estimated cost to convert this (wk11) to points? I assume it is like buying developer points, but I wanted to ask to verify.

Wyndham has changed their procedures and the cost to convert weeks to points over the years. It used to be $2500 for one week and $900 for additional weeks. But for some resorts you had to make a new developer purchase to convert a week you own

Now if you want points I'd give my week back through ovation and buy a points contract on eBay

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Thanks everyone. It doesn't seem like it worth paying for an exchange membership just for 1 week.

You may be able to use a cheaper exchange company to trade this week rather than using RCI.

You can also do a peer to peer exchange here on TUG.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I trade extensively on the RCI weeks side.

Regarding what will 28 or 34 or 41 get you in RCI weeks side:

28 will get a lot of weeks - some high demand as well. For example, I can get most 2 bedroom ski week in Colorado for around 24-29. So 28 iffy on the 'high demand'

34 will get almost all Super high demand weeks (provided they are deposited). I just got a new years, vail ski week, 1 bedroom for 31.

41 will get almost anything, anytime. Most I have "paid" was 32 for 3 bedroom wyndham holiday ski week. (See dvc exchange threads for those counts - I use Wyn/RCI point conversions for those - better value for me).

You can combine weeks for "super trade power".

hope that helps.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Wyndham has changed their procedures and the cost to convert weeks to points over the years. It used to be $2500 for one week and $900 for additional weeks. But for some resorts you had to make a new developer purchase to convert a week you own

Now if you want points I'd give my week back through ovation and buy a points contract on eBay
I assumed it be cheaper to get rid of it and buy something on resale, but I wanted to make sure. I want to keep it but I am afraid that when the odd year comes back around they will not allow same week reservations again.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Yes, I tried to make a split week reservation at the beginning of the year and was told you can no longer make concurrent split week reservations. That is the only reason I bought the floating week. When I called last month to make reservation, i was told it can be done again (because of owner outrage).

And I was just told that they can not overlap.