• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to determine a good deal?

theranj

Reaction score
Hi,

I just came back from Moon Palace Cancun a week ago and we absolutely loved it - we just came back and now we're dreaming of our next visit. We've been to five AI's over the years and this was hands down our favorite...my wife and I discussed making this our "go-to" from now on. We talked about timeshare briefly while we were there but didn't go to a presentation...once I came back I started Googling and found out about this site and am glad I didn't!

Like most people, I had no idea a timeshare resale market even existed, so I've spent some time over the last few days reading articles and looking around but am trying to figure out how to determine what is a good deal for the resort we're looking at.

For example - I went to the following site - http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/t...oon+Palace+Golf+and+Spa/resort/buy-timeshare/ and can see prices all over the place...for example, there is one for $2,900 that is an annual floating week / year but expires in 5 years, or another for $6,400 that sleeps 6 but expires in 30 years

Any help / info is appreciated as I keep looking / trying to figure things out.

About us:
  1. Family of 4 - our kids are currently 4 and 2
  2. Floating week or fixed week is OK depending on the deal - but if it's a fixed week then we would be planning around school (which would cost more I'm sure)
  3. I would like a 2 bedroom so that we can fit comfortably as they get older or if we want to take friends / parents / etc.
  4. I'm not sure if buying on eBay is a better option for us either - I've started to look there as well and find people selling their weeks, but not the actual timeshare
  5. For reference - we flew Sun Jan 15 - Sun Jan 22 from Vancouver and our cost was $4,350 USD for an ocean view room for the four of us (purchased thru Costco Travel)

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
To be honest the two best ways to travel to Palace resorts for the best prices would be to do a package plan that includes air from a place like Costco travel or others - you may need to shop around- or to rent from the highest level owners. The AI price per person is fairly high and doesn't vary all that much regardless of whether you have a basic ts package or the double black diamond platinum package- or whatever it might be called. Most owners have more weeks than they can use annually and actually might receive a small kickback for sending someone to the resort. A slightly larger bonus if the persons the send agree to the tour and presentation and a larger one still if they actually buy in from the retail developer. Since the AI fee is essentially the same regardless of which member/owner you rent from you are looking for to rent from the owners who get the most perks and upgrades included. The more money they spent on the membership the more perks during the weekly stay.

Buying resale strips most of the perks and you are basically getting a weeks package that will be no better than what you could reasonably expect to fairly easily buy from a retail site or rent without any buy in fee.

theranj

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - very informative...maybe it's better for me to go thru the eBay route and buy an excess week from a VIP member like you mentioned...I'll continue looking into that...thanks a lot

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
imho, i would buy a ts that expired in 5 years. with all of our purchases, except dvc, after 5 years, we no longer traveled to that ts and our kids' schedules and our travel tastes had changed. many have trouble getting rid of ts. if you bought here, i would go with the 5 yr. but agree with others, package deal is likely better value for MX.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
imho, i would buy a ts that expired in 5 years. with all of our purchases, except dvc, after 5 years, we no longer traveled to that ts and our kids' schedules and our travel tastes had changed. many have trouble getting rid of ts. if you bought here, i would go with the 5 yr. but agree with others, package deal is likely better value for MX.

I personally have no interest in Mexico, but nonetheless agree wholeheartedly that a RTU contract that expires in 5 years has some inherent appeal --- as long as there are no onerous reservation restrictions or week limitations on the "floating" nature of the referenced contract.
It's nice (and it's not all that common) to have such a a pre-established, relatively short term "exit strategy" so readily available.

In the U.S., "floating" weeks ownerships often have specific seasons or defined windows in which reservations can / must be made. I dunno if that's the case with Mexican RTU contracts, but it's certainly a detail to learn with clarity and precision --- before committing to a purchase.

Last edited:

theranj

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys - we decided to attempt our next purchase on eBay thru a Diamond member and try that instead.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys - we decided to attempt our next purchase on eBay thru a Diamond member and try that instead.

Fwiw, although I personally know absolutely nothing about Diamond, I do read a lot of complaining by disgruntled Diamond owners about inordinately high maintenance fees within DRI, much of it right here on TUG. Just sayin'... :shrug:

Last edited: