*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

How to block or reject calls or texts on an iPhone?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by pjrose, Aug 13, 2012.

1. pjrose

pjrose Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

How do we set an iPhone to either block or reject calls or texts from specific phone numbers, using the iPhone's capabilities or with an app?

2. Ridewithme38

Ridewithme38 TUG Member

Have your husband/boyfriend/Mean sounding Brother answer in a very tense tone...:D

You can have your carrier(Verizon,ATT) do it but they charge...Or you can download a 'silent' ringtone for when they call

3. pjrose

Ride, the first has worked for me on other occasions, but won't in this one.

We do have that number blocked through AT&T, but somehow he is getting through. On the AT&T online list of calls/texts, it shows as "phone" "Internet media net," so it appears that somehow he is sending the texts from online rather than as regular texts. However, on the phone itself, the texts appear to be coming from his phone number - the number that is blocked with the carrier.

What I need to do is tell the iPhone to block or reject or automatically delete anything from that number.

4. Ridewithme38

Ridewithme38 TUG Member

From the information i can find online...after 6 drinks...It appears that there WAS an app to reject calls(it would ring once then disconnect) but it was never accepted as an 'official' iphone app and was removed from the store...unfortunately, the best you can currently do with an iphone(android phones do have an app called call filter) is what you have currently done

Hopefully someone on here knows a bit more then me on this

5. pjrose

That's what I'm finding online after no drinks.

I'm amazed. This should be so simple.

My idea, for now, is to compose a text that says "your number has been rejected by the recipient's system" or just "number rejected" and send that back ASAP after contact. Maybe after a few of those identical messages will make the caller stop.

6. Ridewithme38

Ridewithme38 TUG Member

See thats the problem with being a guy....My suggestion is, show up at his house with a bat and a frown....But then the father of a young daughter kicks it and i don't want to spend 20yrs in prison...Unless its her being harassed

7. judyjht

judyjht TUG Member

My husband has set it up in his IPhone that when someone calls - solicitor or something like that - he "creates a new contact" and then for the name he uses "Do Not Answer" and then if they call again he knows not to answer it and it just goes to vm - and they never leave a message.

If you find something better - let us know.

8. pjrose

That plus a silent ringtone would be a good combination for voice calls. In this particular case the problem is texts. So far, the best idea I have is to reply "number rejected". I think once or twice with that, the person may give up.

9. judyjht

judyjht TUG Member

I found this online. I got as far as seeing it in my iTunes but can't figure out how to add it to a person!

There are a couple solutions/workarounds that you can implement:

1) For those of you that are jailbroken, there is an app called iBlacklist that will allow you to filter incoming calls and SMS text messages. This is not a free app, but at it's current price of $12.00 (one-time purchase), it can pay for itself fairly quickly vs. pricey provider solutions.

2) Don't block calls, but silence them with a silent ringtone. This will still allow the calls to come through, but will silence the ring so you won't even notice. To set this up, download this iPhone silent ringtone (be sure to right-click or cmd-click and "Save As"), import it into iTunes, and sync it to your iPhone. On your iPhone, add the number you want to block/silence to your contacts and set the silent ringtone as that contact's custom ringtone.

10. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVR Falls, GPR Seapointe, HGVC Lagoon, HGVC King's Land.
    Blocking Internet spam texts can be done at the carrier, for AT&T you can log into account on web and enable blocking of texts from Internet.

In AT&T Blocking Options:
    Email delivery control: You can select ‘Block all text messages sent to you as email’ and/or ‘Block all multimedia messages sent to you as email‘.

Verizon:
    Sign into myVerizon and you can access Verizon Safeguards. Here you will find a tab for Internet Spam Blocking. They allow up to 15 email addresses. You can also block all text message sent from the web and/or block all text messages sent from email.

Sprint
    They handle blocking through the use of shortcodes. Here’s how to block SMS messages on Sprint.

Text block XXX-XXX-XXXX (remove the dashes) to 9999.

If it goes through, you should receive the following message.
    SprintFreeMsg: block: Text messages to and from “XXXXX” are now blocked.

Tip: By sending help to 9999, you’ll receive a help message from Sprint on how to use assorted shortcodes.

11. pjrose

That sounds good, but where do I find Blocking Options?
    (We already have AT&T Smart Limits and have this specific number blocked.)