• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How Interval's added fees affect weeks owners

Have you paid the new II fee to get the week/resort you want?

• Total voters

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always had great luck trading our Marriott Grande Vista to get off-season Marriott top resorts, e.g. Newport Coast, Waiohai, Aruba, Oceana Palms, Grande Ocean. However, with the new upgrade fee (I trade our lock off and 1 bedroom as two weeks) makes me pause, because I'm thrifty, and wait for the 59 day window where the fee goes away. Am I cutting off my nose to spite my face? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the fee when I see the week I want? (I'm full of idiomatic expressions). My usual opportunity to pick up my January Newport Coast has come and gone, I fear. It was there months earlier, but with the fee, so I waited for the 59 day window. Is the point system eating my lunch (here I go again)?

So I see the new polling feature, so let's try that, okay?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am hardly pleased with the upgrade fee, although if it were to prove to offer an improved chance of securing an exchange with my lock offs I might find it more acceptable.
However, I almost exclusively request lock off exchanges for long haul trips so can't risk waiting for the less than 59 days upgrade for free.
I do though at least get the benefit of reduced upgrade fees with my Interval Platinum membership.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I always waited until flex to upgrade to 2 bedroom units. I don't like the new fee, however, do like the option of upgrading prior to flex. Did that last year and will continue do so so.

Ingrid

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, Barry, I didn't know the fees were reduced for an upgraded II membership. By how much? Is it worth it if we only own one timeshare?

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
however, do like the option of upgrading prior to flex. Did that last year and will continue do so so.

Ingrid

Is this just on whats available at the moment or can you place a request and wait?

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dislike II's new fee structure, so rather than pay the fee, I'm renting out my owner weeks and renting back what I might have used II to exchange for. Yes, it is a little more work, but really very little, and I typically come out ahead. To be fair, there really should be a cost reduction for those who will accept a smaller unit than is deposited.

On another topic, I've also noticed that the getaways have seen a recent uptick in price as well.

I don't know if I will renew my II membership when it expires next year. It really isn't working for us now.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
All very interesting. I too am wondering if II has lost it's value for weeks owners. Somewhat, not completely.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Is this just on whats available at the moment or can you place a request and wait?
I believe it's only on what's available after matches have been made. I now see with my gold studio and 1 bedrooms, stuff I couldn't see before, however, there is a fee associated with any size upgrade. It does annoy me that I have to pay an upgrade fee now when trading with my Plat+ 1 bedroom into a gold season 2 bedroom. II should also give credit or eliminate the fee in those cases.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, Barry, I didn't know the fees were reduced for an upgraded II membership. By how much? Is it worth it if we only own one timeshare?
I would doubt if many owners could justify the Interval Platinum or Gold membership fees with just one weeks ownership, however below is what it offers you as far as upgrades are concerned.
"The cost to upgrade your unit size is $99 per upgrade step. Interval Platinum members will pay a reduced rate of $59 per upgrade step, and Interval Gold members will pay a reduced rate of $79 per upgrade step"

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I haven't had the opportunity as of yet but, I have absolutely no plans to pay a fee to upgrade my Ocean Pointe studio to a 1 bedroom or larger.

Having said that I also don't need to make that upgrade because we own enough timeshares it's s moot point. I can see where if a person only owns one timeshare and if locks off, they might grumble about it but, it's still cheaper than buying, and paying MF's, on another timeshare.

It was really an intelligent move by II. At least as far as increasing profits while offering nothing new.

We will drop our personal II account when it's time to renew. At this point we're trading less thru the exchange companies and either staying at our home resorts or making internal trades. We will, of course, have access thru MVC's corporate account for enrolled weeks owners in the DC

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've paid the fees to upgrade, but hated doing it. Other than the weeks we own and use every year, we're starting to think renting is the way to go.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
It does annoy me that I have to pay an upgrade fee now when trading with my Plat+ 1 bedroom into a gold season 2 bedroom. II should also give credit or eliminate the fee in those cases.

I agree with your idea here. One should get some credit for value of trading a higher demand week for a lesser demand week, which could offset the increase of size traded into.

Mike

nokaoi9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Sheraton, Westin
While not thrilled about the new upgrade fee, it'd be an easier pull to swallow I could lock off a unit and place an ongoing request for a larger sized unit.

During a recent promotion through II, I upgrade to platinum. I figure I'll exchange and upgrade at lease twice, plus expect to do a few getaways before the two years the membership is good for. Another big savings will be when family/friends take advantage of a getaway week. The $50 discount plus the week, plus the $49 (I think this is the fee) for the guest certificate makes it a no brainer for us.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
While not thrilled about the new upgrade fee, it'd be an easier pull to swallow I could lock off a unit and place an ongoing request for a larger sized unit.

During a recent promotion through II, I upgrade to platinum. I figure I'll exchange and upgrade at lease twice, plus expect to do a few getaways before the two years the membership is good for. Another big savings will be when family/friends take advantage of a getaway week. The $50 discount plus the week, plus the $49 (I think this is the fee) for the guest certificate makes it a no brainer for us.
You can place an ongoing request with a lock off for a larger size unit in resorts which only have larger sized units. We do it all the time.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can place an ongoing request with a lock off for a larger size unit in resorts which only have larger sized units. We do it all the time.
Barry, I've done this as well in the past. However, not since the new II fees for upgrading. Do they charge you for an ongoing request when it entails an upgrade? Thanks!

Bill4728

Reaction score
If by paying a small fee $99 I can get an exchange that I wouldn't even see then I'm fine with paying the fee.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Iam ok with paying the upgrade fee. In fact I remember responding that way when I answered a survey they had taken some time back. My thought was there have been times when i took a 2 bedroom unit when i really didn't need it. A 1 bedroom would have been fine. If this fee prevents someone from taking a larger size unit and then makes it available to someone who will use I think that is ok. My thought is that now maybe more larger size units will be available. Maybe this is just wishful thinking.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I'm not OK with the new fee. Marriott promised me free Marriott to Marriott trades when I enrolled my week. Many paid $2,400 for this privilege. Now only some Marriott to Marriott trades are free. Whats to keep them from adding new fees to these "free" trades in the future?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My issue is that I could always see larger units during online searches in the past. I was OK locking off and depositing an expensive-to-own Maui, Kauai, or even Harborside week, because I could get a nice 2BR+ for a 1BR deposit , or a 1BR+ for a studio. So, I see the new upgrade fees simply as a way to unbundle services to add a new revenue stream for Interval.

This change just makes it more attractive for me to bank my Marriott and Vistana points or rent our weeks vs deposit them in Interval.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barry, I've done this as well in the past. However, not since the new II fees for upgrading. Do they charge you for an ongoing request when it entails an upgrade? Thanks!
Both my lock off weeks are DC enrolled (I am not sure if that makes any difference?) but I have a current ongoing request with one of them and I have not had to pay an upgrade fee before Interval come up with the exchange.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I've never taken advantage of the system like many TUGGERS; I've only traded for equal size in the past: 2 BR for 2BR, or studio for studio. I recently traded a prime 3BR week at MGV for a 2BR summer week at MOC. I told II that I would accept a 2BR (knowing I probably would never get a 3BR). This trade seems perfectly fair to me because I am relatively certain that I paid a lot less for my 3BR MGV week than the person who bought their MOC week.

However, given II's new fees, if I trade a week for a smaller unit at a comparable or 'lesser' resort, than I think a credit issued by II would be fair. If they charge for up-sizing, they ought to credit for down-sizing. I know it'll never happen, but it seems like the right thing to do.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I locked off my EYO 2 BR at the Grand Chateau and traded the 1 BR for a 2 br at the Marriott Surf in Aruba. I never like to pay more than I have too but I was happy to pay the upgrade fee.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My issue is that I could always see larger units during online searches in the past. I was OK locking off and depositing an expensive-to-own Maui, Kauai, or even Harborside week, because I could get a nice 2BR+ for a 1BR deposit , or a 1BR+ for a studio. So, I see the new upgrade fees simply as a way to unbundle services to add a new revenue stream for Interval.

This change just makes it more attractive for me to bank my Marriott and Vistana points or rent our weeks vs deposit them in Interval.
Exactly. I don't think long term that the fees are going to allow me to see more larger units with our studio and 1BR units than I could see before. It is simply a new fee for no added benefit to line the pockets of II and its shareholders. I don't disagree with that, but I don't have to like it.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
For those who think it would be fare for I.I. to give credit when you trade "down", I doubt that's ever going to happen. II is in the business to make money, not treat owners fairly. They have a captive audience and they know it. They have contracts with resorts and THOSE are the customers they'll be more concerned with keeping. Both RCI and I.I. know that, if you want to exchange, you'll most likely exchange through them.

If you want a fare system, then they'd need to open up the competition. Get rid of the exclusive contracts between an exchange company and resort. Allow owners to switch between exchange companies based on value. As it is now it's a modified monopoly. Owners can essentially use one company or nothing at all. Yes there are a few smaller independent exchange companies out there but, they're so small as to be insignificant.

Exchanging is not a fare system. Owners are trapped into whatever company their resort puts them in. We have little to no say in the matter.

FWIW I agree they should give a credit when you trade down. I just don't see it happening because they don't have too in order to keep your business or, to keep enough business to keep profits where they want them.