• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How heirs do not have to pay Maintenence fees after owner passing

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. If you are about to inherit timeshare ownership after someone has passed giving the property to you , you do not have to pay anymore Maintenence fees,if you so choose. If you, the heir downloads the form called Disclaimer of Interest for the State in which the timeshare is located and follow the statute for that document in that state, you can permanently remove that timeshare and never pay or have use for that property ever again. The catch is it must be filed within the time frame for that state. Most states give you 9 months from dod, date of death. You must check each state wherein the timeshare is located for their time requirement. Just research the above and make your own decision.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That is correct, and it's something that everyone should discuss with their heirs and attorney.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They key also is that you don't get to keep the timeshare and continue to use it MF free. Ultimately the timeshare will go in to foreclosure, get sold or otherwise go back to the HOA. The executor still has to deal with the timeshare even if the heirs don't want it. Foreclosure is probably the easiest option for most timeshares where there is zero value.

The same would apply to any asset that the heir decides they don't want. Though most real estate does have some value.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Different states probably have slightly different rules but, in the case of my mother, the estate continued to make payments until the date probate was closed. Once probate was closed there was some degree of panic from lenders who had filed no claims against the estate. The funniest one was Green Tree, which lost $30,000 because they filed no claim against the estate on their debt.

It's one reason I suggest a legal representation to close an estate. I believe there's no way a lay person can navigate the complex system and, one small mistake can have long lasting effects.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I'm not an attorney I have always done most of my own legal work. But to close an estate I would definitely spend the money for legal representation.

George

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Different states probably have slightly different rules but, in the case of my mother, the estate continued to make payments until the date probate was closed. Once probate was closed there was some degree of panic from lenders who had filed no claims against the estate. The funniest one was Green Tree, which lost $30,000 because they filed no claim against the estate on their debt.

It's one reason I suggest a legal representation to close an estate. I believe there's no way a lay person can navigate the complex system and, one small mistake can have long lasting effects.

But people with assets properly titled don't have to go through probate (or I am in big trouble for closing estates without probate)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Different states, different laws.....and I'm no probate attorney. But as I understand it if the deed is recorded in both names, it passes to whomever is named on the deed.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
.....But as I understand it if the deed is recorded in both names, it passes to whomever is named on the deed.

This is a different kettle of fish. The way I understand it is if Week is recorded in both names JTWROS it passes outside of probate to the survivor. In this case the survivor doesn't have the ability to disclaim the inheritance (as there is no inheritance) and is stuck with the Week.

George

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Different states, different laws.....and I'm no probate attorney. But as I understand it if the deed is recorded in both names, it passes to whomever is named on the deed.

Actually, if your name is already on the deed - you don't inherit it, because you already ARE the owner.