• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How hard is Hawaii? [merged]

taitai

Reaction score
So, we are considering purchasing HGVC points. We travel a great deal and like the idea of the 2 bedrooms for our young family.

My question is, how hard is it to reserve in Hawaii? The HGVC on the Big Island? Can it be done? Ideally, it would be during our kids Spring Break which will be the last week of March/first week of April 2013.

Can it happen? If so, how? I need a great deal of hand holding trying to figure this out. It is all so bewildering to me.

Thanks
taitai

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
So, we are considering purchasing HGVC points. We travel a great deal and like the idea of the 2 bedrooms for our young family.

My question is, how hard is it to reserve in Hawaii? The HGVC on the Big Island? Can it be done? Ideally, it would be during our kids Spring Break which will be the last week of March/first week of April 2013.

Can it happen? If so, how? I need a great deal of hand holding trying to figure this out. It is all so bewildering to me.

Thanks
taitai

Taitai,

Welcome to TUG!!!

Big Island is pretty accessible year round, and definitely if you book right at 9 months out (when units are available to booking for people who don't own at that specific property). Summer will fill up, but I've been impressed by Big Island availability.

Oahu is much much tougher and if you don't book right at nine months, it fills. Even at nine months, you may not get the size of unit that you want.

HGVC is a terrific system -- you'll buy points (resale) at a property with lower MFs, and then at nine months out (from check-out date), you'll use your points to book the space that you want on the Big Island. As an example, I own in Orlando, but I travel to Hawaii -- and I book my reservations 9 months out. If I wanted to visit my home property in Orlando (in the unit size I own) I could book my reservation 9-12 months out. You'll book online and select "changeable reservations" -- which cost $49 -- and then if something happens and you can't go when you thought, you don't lose your points, you can change the reservation for a different date.

You may also wish to simply rent the first year or two to make sure that the timeshare commitment is something that you want. We love it, but it takes time to learn the different systems and how to best utilize them.

Please ask as many questions as you would like, I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Greg

taitai

Reaction score
Greg

Thanks for the reassurance. I appreciate it.

The 9 months is from the departure date, correct? So, I start up with the first possible departure date and then keep at it until a week materializes?

Thank you
taitai

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
I'm in the process of getting my reservation in HI during the holidays.

Step 1. Get a three day reservation right now (now being Feb. 14) for Nov. 13-16 in the unit size you want.

Step 2. Tonight, and every night at midnight Eastern change your reservation one day forward as that day becomes available. Tonight, you'd change it to Nov. 14-17. Tomorrow, Nov. 15-18. Repeat.

Step 3. Once you hit the first night of your desired vacation, say Dec. 22-29, begin extending by a day as the day becomes available. Dec. 22-25, then Dec. 22-26, then Dec. 22-27, etc. until you have Dec. 22-29.

This has worked for me, though it's not foolproof. The alternative is praying that a three day reservation opens up in late Dec. that you can extend or hope that someone gives up the full reservation period at the same time that you happen to be online.

If not booking an event week or high-demand week, simply booking about 9 months (276 days) before your desired checkout works for HHV.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Greg

Thanks for the reassurance. I appreciate it.

The 9 months is from the departure date, correct? So, I start up with the first possible departure date and then keep at it until a week materializes?

Thank you
taitai

Taitai,

The 9 month date is measured from check-out -- technically I believe it is 276 days from the check-out date (who thought that up?)

So, if you wanted to go to the Big Island from March 30 - April 6, 2013 (as an example), then 276 days before your April 6,2013 check-out means that you would seek to book your reservation on July 4, 2012.

Therefore, on July 4 2012, you would log on to HGVC's online website and search availability for the Big Island. It would show you whatever 1BRs and 2BRs are available at the three different properties, for check-in on March 30, 2013 and check-out on April 6, 2013. You would click the property you want and you have a reservation.

I'm very confident you'd get your Big Island reservation -- again Oahu, when you logged in on July 4th, it may not have the size unit that you want because of very high demand for Oahu.

This is kind of the basic approach to reservations -- there are many tricks that you'll learn over time, but this is the foundation.

Makes sense?

Best,

Greg

taitai

Reaction score
Greg

It does make sense. Thanks for the reassurance.

I am worried about Remy's approach. I see the brilliance to it but I am not sure I am up for being on the computer every day for 4 months at midnight in order to push my reservation ahead a day. If that is the only way to do it, then I am not sure HGVC is for us.

Thanks so much for all the help!

taitai

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I am worried about Remy's approach. I see the brilliance to it but I am not sure I am up for being on the computer every day for 4 months at midnight in order to push my reservation ahead a day. If that is the only way to do it, then I am not sure HGVC is for us. taitai

I wouldn't do that either. Instead, I book three nights at the nine-month mark for what I want and add to that reservation every two nights until I get the whole time. I've always been able to get what I wanted in Oahu this way. I've also gotten weeks later that popped up later as people cancelled their reservations.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
getting Waikoloa is easy (Kings land, HGVC Waikoloa or Bay Club) year round.
getting Oahu is much more tough but it's not impossible.
Hilton holds units longer for Oahu, but eventually, they release the available units at last minute.

michaelvmata

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting my reservation in HI during the holidays.

Step 1. Get a three day reservation right now (now being Feb. 14) for Nov. 13-16 in the unit size you want.

Step 2. Tonight, and every night at midnight Eastern change your reservation one day forward as that day becomes available. Tonight, you'd change it to Nov. 14-17. Tomorrow, Nov. 15-18. Repeat.

Step 3. Once you hit the first night of your desired vacation, say Dec. 22-29, begin extending by a day as the day becomes available. Dec. 22-25, then Dec. 22-26, then Dec. 22-27, etc. until you have Dec. 22-29.

Do you have to repeatedly pay the reservation fee when making these changes?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Do you have to repeatedly pay the reservation fee when making these changes?

Not if you make your reservation online.
Online reservations have automatic "changeable" status and
there is no limit to the number of changes that can be made.

On another note, the OP's question was: "How hard is Hawaii?"
Most of the Hawaiian islands are composed of lava-rock and thus
quite hard, but subject to significant decomposition and erosion.

They're also sinking into the ocean by about 1 foot per 100 years.
Hilo has sunk about 8 inches relative to sea level in 50 years.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
They're also sinking into the ocean by about 1 foot per 100 years.
Hilo has sunk about 8 inches relative to sea level in 50 years.

Are you sure it's not the ocean rising 8 inches in 50 years - what with climate change and all?
:rolleyes:

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot easier to just own in Hawaii and use the unit you purchase :) . Yes, maintenance fees are a bit higher and resale prices are higher but the peace of mind is well worth it for us since we travel there every year (at least for the last four years in a row). Plus, if you do decide to sell it will still be a higher resale price for you (though always count on any time share you buy going down in price from the moment you buy, even resale).

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Are you sure it's not the ocean rising 8 inches in 50 years - what with climate change and all?

Actually, "they" say its a bit of both... some rising sea, but mostly sliding off the shelf.
Your TS destination will be underwater in a few million years.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Actually, "they" say its a bit of both... some rising sea, but mostly sliding off the shelf.
Your TS destination will be underwater in a few million years.
Nah. At a foot every 100 years, I would think that 5000 years would be enough to make it unusable.

Can you imagine that special assessment??? :rofl:

Kurt

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
I wouldn't do that either. Instead, I book three nights at the nine-month mark for what I want and add to that reservation every two nights until I get the whole time. I've always been able to get what I wanted in Oahu this way. I've also gotten weeks later that popped up later as people cancelled their reservations.

Ok, I would do it right NOW for December 22-29, I was illustrating what it would look like if I did it today. I would, however, grab three days prior to Xmas week rather than wait and hope that the 22-25 was available to begin my reservation. That ain't gonna happen in many room sizes in the Lagoon Tower.

taitai

Reaction score
HGVC or RCI exchange for Hawaii? [merged]

I have been reading all the reviews and trolling all the pages of the forum to try to get up to speed on all things HGVC.

We have three young boys (8,8,9). They love to boogie board, swim in the pool, play basketball, play football and play tennis. They would be supremely happy doing nothing but those five activities and eating all day long. Seriously.

I am looking at the HGVC in Waikoloa for us as the pools at the adjoining Hilton seem like a good bet for the guys. However, I am also looking at some time shares in Maui via RCI.

Any recommendations as to which path I should pursue?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been reading all the reviews and trolling all the pages of the forum to try to get up to speed on all things HGVC.

We have three young boys (8,8,9). They love to boogie board, swim in the pool, play basketball, play football and play tennis. They would be supremely happy doing nothing but those five activities and eating all day long. Seriously.

I am looking at the HGVC in Waikoloa for us as the pools at the adjoining Hilton seem like a good bet for the guys. However, I am also looking at some time shares in Maui via RCI.

Any recommendations as to which path I should pursue?

Thank you

Taitai,

I think you definitely be happy with HGVC on the Big Island or Oahu (if you are able to get the space on Oahu -- which is tougher).

If they like to boogie board, please know that Big Island is not on the beach so you'll be driving to one of the close beaches (which are terrific).

I don't know much about RCI trading into Maui -- I've traded alot with my Worldmark (which is a rocking trader) using II primarily. And there is a nice beach across the street from the Worldmark in Maui.

I've only traded in RCI into HGVC's coincidentally....watching for their bulk deposits and then booking them when they bulk.

You may want to check the Hawaii board and ask for advice on trading with RCI into Maui.

Good luck!

Greg