• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Homeless people in Hawaii_Waikiki

elleny76

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed homeless people on the street_beach in Waikiki _Hilton?
I was recently visiting the Hilton village resort and its just Gorgeous but I noticed many homeless people hanging(sleeping) on the beach daytime. I was so sad seeing how many on the street as well. We went to Sam's club and while in the taxi I sow at least 100 of them including kids.

elleny76

Reaction score
Thanks Kapolei, I did read a lot while on the beach and also I had many chats with the locals. Locals think mostly of homeless come from mainland. All I can say is I am from NY and I see my daily share of Homeless but have never seen so many like I sow in Waikiki. (sad)

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii has many, many homeless people. The parks are full of makeshift tents that skirt around the fact that you can't set a tent up in the parks. A lot of them use umbrellas fitted with cloth. The public restrooms usually have a few homeless people along with their shopping carts sleeping, resting, inside. I have been to Honolulu twice and am amazed with how many homeless there are. Some ride the buses most of the day, and while on the buses with my four year old grandson, struck up a conversation with a few that were riding the bus for the day. A lot are veterans, that have disabilities. One in particular, after a very vibrant and random conversation, reached into his backpack and pulled out a little stuffed animal that he gave to my grandson. I was touched by his generosity and caring nature.

I don't know if there is an answer to the situation, if your going to be homeless, you might as well be homeless in hawaii, its warm most of the time. I never felt threatened or afraid going to the parks. It pulls at your heartstrings.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The HGVC Hawaiian Village is nice and doesn't have near as many locals or homeless as the other end of Waikiki. Go down to the beach across from the Marriott and it is worse. The city is trying to help them with shelters, but they don't want to be there and follow the rules of no drugs, or other rules, so they live on the streets or beach wherever they can. The bad news is they keep showing up from the mainland because other cities are giving them one way tickets to get rid of their problem.

elleny76

Reaction score
The HGVC Hawaiian Village is nice and doesn't have near as many locals or homeless as the other end of Waikiki. Go down to the beach across from the Marriott and it is worse. The city is trying to help them with shelters, but they don't want to be there and follow the rules of no drugs, or other rules, so they live on the streets or beach wherever they can. The bad news is they keep showing up from the mainland because other cities are giving them one way tickets to get rid of their problem.
Yes Tompalm..I noticed that close to the zoo in Waikiki they are all over by large quantities. Something has to be done because its getting out of control.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first time that we went to Waikiki was 3 years ago for one night prior to Maui and Big Island.

We stayed in a hotel with a Diamond Head view at the east end across from the zoo.
We were wide awake at 4am, so we walked to the corner to have breakfast at Lulu's which was closed. We walked along Kalakaua and people were sleeping on the sidewalk across from the beach. We ate outside at MacDonald's and they were sleeping on the other side of the wall. Since then, they don't allow sleeping on the sidewalk..

A couple of weeks ago we took the bus to the airport and saw tent and cardboard villages along a canal and park.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
How is the homeless problem on the other islands, such as the Big Island, Maui and Kauai?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
How is the homeless problem on the other islands, such as the Big Island, Maui and Kauai?

Its probably there too, but i have not noticed as much. We have large homeless populations in the San Francisco and San Jose areas as well. Similar to hawaii the weather is generally pretty good, or at least its warmer than the Midwest and east coast cities.

The homeless tend to concentrate in the large cities, as they have easier access to services and support. Or perhaps they are just more obvious in the big cities. That's why you see them in Honolulu.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We often see homeless under the banyan tree in Lahaina. We once talked to one while waiting for a sailboat ride. He was intelligent and well educated, but unable to overcome his alcohol dependency.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

You won't see any at Waikoloa but there are some down in Kona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taffy19

Reaction score
We saw them in Honolulu near the Marriott and in Kihei in Maui too. I like walking in front of the condos and timeshare buildings at night on the grass and had to pass a few sitting together to go down to the beach. They were playing instruments so I felt safe enough and they had flashlights and even showed me the narrow path to go down to the beach because it was very dark. I only went down to have a look as I love the view, the sound of the tiny waves, because of the reef, and the lights from the Maalaea Bay. I asked them if they were locals. Several came from California so it must be true that they are given one way tickets.

I also met a homeless guy under a tree on our beach and he greeted me so we started talking about the reef fish and the erosion on the beach with so many uprooted trees. This is on all the beaches on the island. I asked him what happened to him because he was telling me about the canoes that he had built and where I could find one to see it. He was a fine carpenter too and had lots of work on private homes but got injured and a divorce. He said that the rents were just too high with the money he was receiving from the Government. Most homeless people do not want to live in a shelter because there are too many rules.

They had torrential rains for at least ten days in Kihei and one of the homeless ladies died but he had called the church and the pastor and his wife took the lady home but had to call the ambulance to get her to the hospital and she died of cancer. She was stage 4. The rain was just the final straw.

We are used to the homeless people on our feral cat route at our marina. We were back yesterday but all homeless people were gone again because the city doesn't allow it any longer and gives them notice that they are coming so they can clear out everything but they always come back until the next raid. It is really sad but they seem to like their freedom more than any convenience at all. We even know a few ladies too with dogs and most are animal lovers as they walk with us on our route which I enjoy. We got to know them well and always feel very safe with them around. We meet some strange characters on the jetty when we feed.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You won't see any at Waikoloa but there are some down in Kona.

Yeah, Waikoloa is far enough away from things that I have not seen any homeless there. Even in Kona it's minimal compared to the report from Waikiki.

Another reason for us to go to the Big Island and not Oahu :)

Cheers.

Et025

Reaction score
There are quite a bit of tent city's in kona. My brother used to live in one. Above the bowling alley I believe. I think most homeless on that island will stay in town. Easier to find food I'm guessing. They probably stay clear of the waikaloa area because of security guard reasons.
I live in honolulu now and see homeless everywhere. In my area there have been many smash and grabs. Try to not store too many things in your car in plain sight even for short periods of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
We saw them on our jogging path with the tourists and hotels guests in the Kapolei resort--bare feet. I saw their tents one morning, along with their coolers and clothes hanging by a makeshift clothesline in one of the coves. I told my husband about them, and that's when we realized they were homeless. Some of them were young and even had nice tents, clothes, towels, sleeping bags, even a new car, parked at the resort. I believe it's a lifestyle or mentality. The weather is conducive to outdoor living. Think about it. No rent, but perfect resort weather condition. One is constantly camping like on vacation.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We saw them on our jogging path with the tourists and hotels guests in the Kapolei resort--bare feet. I saw their tents one morning, along with their coolers and clothes hanging by a makeshift clothesline in one of the coves. I told my husband about them, and that's when we realized they were homeless. Some of them were young and even had nice tents, clothes, towels, sleeping bags, even a new car, parked at the resort. I believe it's a lifestyle or mentality. The weather is conducive to outdoor living. Think about it. No rent, but perfect resort weather condition. One is constantly camping like on vacation.

Hawaii is certainly one of the best places in the world to be homeless. I live in NY in a nice home but I really like being in Honolulu. It is truly a location that I love. I often say, only a little bit in jest, that I would rather be homeless in Honolulu than live in NY in a home.

Some homeless are mentally ill and are just out in the street because they have no where to go and can't help themselves. However, I believe that there is a certain number of homeless that are not destitute. The have some money coming in. Rather than spend it on rent in the high rents of Honolulu they would rather have money to spend on other things and sleep outside. We know some homeless have smart phones.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, I believe that there is a certain number of homeless that are not destitute. The have some money coming in. Rather than spend it on rent in the high rents of Honolulu they would rather have money to spend on other things and sleep outside. We know some homeless have smart phones.

We've certainly seen this in a number of places- Santa Cruz, for example. Some of the places - Ashland, Portland, OR- aren't even great weather places, but they are liberal environments. These are young kids who are clearly making a lifestyle choice. They are generally reasonably clean, in good health, playing instruments...hanging out. They may be destitute at times, but it appears to be by choice.

Definitely not for me, but I don't feel threatened or much bothered by them as long as there aren't so many that it makes simple sidewalk navigation difficult.

Cheers.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In Portland Oregon they cause Hugh damage to the native growth. They have no respect for the property on which they are squatting. When the City (Neighborhoods) have finally had enough and the City steps in to move them on there is always a Hugh and costly cleanup.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Portland Oregon they cause Hugh damage to the native growth. They have no respect for the property on which they are squatting. When the City (Neighborhoods) have finally had enough and the City steps in to move them on there is always a Hugh and costly cleanup.

I have only seen them in Portland on city streets where they did not seem to be causing trouble. Of course, the local residents would have a different (and better) view.

By the way, are you Hugh? :)

Cheers.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
There's an article about homelessness as choice in the Harvard Law School website that you can find online with a search engine. I believe discussing it here would be against the politics rules. But if you're inclined to learn more about this concept you might want to google.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

elleny76

Reaction score
I sow hundreds of them in Honolulu_Oahu_Waikiki but Once I moved to Ko'olina (Aulani) ..Nothing! not even one around. Very private location.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hugh = Man's name - rhymes with "few"

Huge = Very large - rhymes with "Scrooge"

Shelbyd95

Reaction score
We noticed many homeless people as soon as we left the Honolulu airport...We actually asked some locals and were told that homeless people from cold weather states were given one way tickets to Hawaii...May or may not be true.