• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hgvc questions from a newbie

Melbgirl

Reaction score
New to purchasing timeshare, we travel a lot and spend a lot on hotels so thought timeshare might be a better option. Timeshare is not popular in Australia especially hgvc as there are no hgvc resorts here so this is all very new and there are not a lot of resources or local companies to rely on.

After researching, I think hgvc is our best bet but have a few questions...

1) if we don't care about a 'home resort' should we just be looking for the most points for the least amount of money and maintenance fee?

2) if we purchased points now, could we bank 2016 points, use 2017 points and pull forward 2018 points to use all in 2017? Essentially using 3 years of points in one vacation?

3) if I purchased though the tubs marketplace or other tubs recommend per site, do I then contact a closing company to help me do the deal and do I pay for that or the seller?

4) is there anything that I should really know before purchasing that would be detrimental if I didn't know?

Thanks

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
1.) Yes
2.) Yes
3.) Buy from a broker. The brokers have lots of ads in the Marketplace. They will do all the closing stuff for you and yes, you will pay them for all the transfer fees, setting up account, etc.
4.) Yes. It sounds like HGVC would be a bad purchase for you. You mentioned that you stay in hotels often and that there aren't many timeshares in Australia and none of them are HGVC. You be stuck flying to use this timeshare purchase. You are most likely better off renting a timeshare from an owner when you want to use one and staying in hotels for cash when a timeshare isn't available.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
RE #4:

There arent a lot of locations as Presley said, but you can use points at several Antara locations - Thailand, New Zealand, Bali. The downside is you have to call in to book, that inventory is not online. Hawaii is also reachable, I've met many Aussies on vacation in Hawaii, HGVC has an abundance of inventory there now and is expanding.

You can also trade through RCI with HGVC points, there is an exchange fee but the points used are less than an HGVC resort (max 4800 for a 2br). RCI also gives you cash options for last minute extra getaways.

If you can find a cheap 4800 point 1 br in Vegas it might be a good starting point for you to try out HGVC. It would be easy to get rid of or add another if you want more points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
3) if I purchased though the tubs marketplace or other tubs recommend per site, do I then contact a closing company to help me do the deal and do I pay for that or the seller?

Thanks
I purchased my HGVC off the TUG Marketplace. We used JRA Services:

http://timeshareresaleclosings.com/closingprocess.html

Besides handling the closing, they also prepared the O & A for us, by individually talking (email & phone) with the buyer (me) and the seller. Easy purchase and closing.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
1. Many HGVC users never stay at their home resort... the conditions are restrictive. Orlando and Las Vegas resorts typically give you the most points per MF$. MF's are assessed at each resport by the size of the unit, not it's season or points, so a 1BR platinum pays less than a 2BR gold.

2. HGVC charges a fee to bank points from one year to the next, but no-fee to borrow points, so as it's said, "Tis better a borrower than a saver be," but you can do both. You need to bank points online or by calling. To borrow, the system automatically draws only as many points as you need to complete a booking.

3. Two brokers who specialize in HGVC and highly recommended in the HGVC forum:
... Seth Nock and his staff at www.sellingtimeshares.net
... Judi Kozlowski and her staff at www.judikoz.com

4. TS's can be limiting in terms of where and when you can go. If you have a particular place, you need to be flexible as to when, and if you have particular dates, you need to be flexible as to where.

Last edited:

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased my HGVC off the TUG Marketplace. We used JRA Services:

http://timeshareresaleclosings.com/closingprocess.html

Besides handling the closing, they also prepared the O & A for us, by individually talking (email & phone) with the buyer (me) and the seller. Easy purchase and closing.

Looking for a good closing company and found this post. Unfortunatelly the closing company website no longer works, and when searched for JRA Services online, could not find anything either.. What happened - have they vanished?

Anyhow - can anyone recommend a good closing company for a private HGVC TS resale transaction?
Thanks a lot.

chrono88

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used LT transfers in the past and have been very pleased with their service.

Sent from my KFSAWI using Tapatalk

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Whatever you decide, don't put all of your future vacation dollars into timesharing.
This will give you the flexibility in the future to choose the best way to visit your desired destinations. There might not be a timeshare at the location that you want to visit or if there is a timeshare it may be very hard to get an exchange. You may also want to visit a destination in an entirely different way via a cruise, hotel/resort stay, special discounted travel package, tour company, beach house rental, etc.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whatever you decide, don't put all of your future vacation dollars into timesharing.
This will give you the flexibility in the future to choose the best way to visit your desired destinations. There might not be a timeshare at the location that you want to visit or if there is a timeshare it may be very hard to get an exchange. You may also want to visit a destination in an entirely different way via a cruise, hotel/resort stay, special discounted travel package, tour company, beach house rental, etc.

Totally agree. I find myself wanting Maui, the Caribbean, Key West, and Hilton has nothing there, and it's very difficult to get an RCI trade (unless you plan 2 years in advance, which is difficult for me). Wish I had gotten a Marriott or something in addition to my HGVC.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
New to purchasing timeshare, we travel a lot and spend a lot on hotels so thought timeshare might be a better option.....

4) is there anything that I should really know before purchasing that would be detrimental if I didn't know?

Well, you should know that booking a timeshare is not like booking a hotel where there's lots of availability. Instead of determining where and when you want to go (like a hotel reservation), with timesharing sometimes your choices for when/where may be driven by whatever is available.

Timeshares are prepaid vacations so there's lots of competition at high demand resort/locations and high demand travel periods. Basically you need to plan/book well in advance otherwise depending where you want to go nothing may be available.

Timesharing has worked for me because I can travel anytime of the year. I search across multiple months well in advance. I'm also willing to take advantage of whatever is available. I prefer to travel during non-peak periods (less crowds, lower airfare, car rental rates, etc). And I generally don't search for a specific week(s) unless I'm traveling with nieces/nephews that are tied to a school calendar.

Here's what I wrote in another thread title "Have you been surprised by HGVC (2015). Since you're new to timesharing you might find it helpful - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...-surprised-by-hgvc.223671/page-2#post-1733451

Last edited: