• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC points or US Air package

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
putting my feelers out to you seasoned Orlando travelers. On my recent trip to Israel, I signed up for US Air mileage program for some free flights and some $99 flights.

I have a Princess cruise booked out of Ft. Lauderdale on 10/28/12. I plan to fly into Orlando on 10/24, Epcot plus ??? on 25th and 26th, Space Center on 27th and then drive to Ft. Lauderdale on the 28th then fly home from Ft. Lauderdale after the 7 day cruise.

My question:

Which would give me a better deal... booking flights and hotel through US Air or booking flights through Princess and the I-Drive hotel through HGVC? My guess is that I would pay less if I did Princess air and HGVC points for the hotel. I have to book the hotel 9 months from check out (10/28). I hate that "rule", but oh well.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
putting my feelers out to you seasoned Orlando travelers. On my recent trip to Israel, I signed up for US Air mileage program for some free flights and some $99 flights.

I have a Princess cruise booked out of Ft. Lauderdale on 10/28/12. I plan to fly into Orlando on 10/24, Epcot plus ??? on 25th and 26th, Space Center on 27th and then drive to Ft. Lauderdale on the 28th then fly home from Ft. Lauderdale after the 7 day cruise.

My question:

Which would give me a better deal... booking flights and hotel through US Air or booking flights through Princess and the I-Drive hotel through HGVC? My guess is that I would pay less if I did Princess air and HGVC points for the hotel. I have to book the hotel 9 months from check out (10/28). I hate that "rule", but oh well.

We do not use the word "hotel" when referring to timeshare resorts such as HGVC at International drive.

Only you can tell which one is the better deal since you know the rates that are being quoted by Princess and US Air etc (whether in points currency or the cash). Overall, I would never use my points to fly to Orlando (FL) since flights are usually much cheaper to buy using cash. I save my airlines points for expensive flights to Islands, Europe and for business class upgrades when traveling internationally.

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten any quotes yet, but I will. Haven't used any of my HGVC points yet either. This will be the first time. I suspect Princess air will be cheaper. I'm also new to having air miles. Feels like I just fell off the turnip truck!

Thanks for the reply. I think it's a good idea to save air miles!

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
My experience has been that I get better deals on flights by booking myself, rather than going through the cruise line.

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would book my airfare on my own so you don't get stuck with the limited range of flight options when booking with Princess IMHO. I would use my HGVC points for the resort only.

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found out that I have 2 FREE flights with US Air! EEEEEEhaw!

I will book the timeshare this coming week. I-Drive for 4 nights. I wonder if they charge for parking -- we will have a rental car.

275 days to Disneyworld
280 to the Princess Cruise

Brkian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found out that I have 2 FREE flights with US Air! EEEEEEhaw!

I will book the timeshare this coming week. I-Drive for 4 nights. I wonder if they charge for parking -- we will have a rental car.

275 days to Disneyworld
280 to the Princess Cruise

Parking at I-drive (and all HGVC orlando resorts) is free.
As far as the week of the cruise, I strongly recommend returning the rental car on the morning your cruise departs and arranging alternate transportation back to the airport when you cruise returns. No need to pay for a rental and for parking at the port. I'm sure that the cruise has nice transportation options (or simply take a taxi). Some rental companies have locations near the port where you can return it - avoiding having to return it at the airport.

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read that the rental car I pick up in Orlando can be returned to Ft. Lauderdale - no extra charge. I will then use the Princess transport from ship to Ft Lauderdale airport.

OR... should we drive back to Orlando and leave from there? I never thought about doing that. It's a couple hours away though. The Ft. Lauderdale airport is closer.

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
After a nice relaxing cruise I would leave from the closest airport. Why have the stress of driving to try and make a flight in another city?

NewTSerInFL

Reaction score
Flight question

OR... should we drive back to Orlando and leave from there? I never thought about doing that. It's a couple hours away though. The Ft. Lauderdale airport is closer.

The only problem I see with flying back from Ft Lauderdale is now you have 2 one-way tickets for each person instead of round trip tickets. Might affect the prices greatly.

Will