• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help w/BlueGreen Big Cedar purchase

ArkansasTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm wanting to purchase timeshare points at the Wilderness Club @ Big Cedar in Branson. We live about 30 miles from the resort and would have plenty of opportunity for use. We would also like the ability for "Day-Use" since it's so close and they have some sweet facilities. I've read that you don't have Day-Use privileges unless you purchase your resale through Pinnacle. I've found some bargain deals on points at Big Cedar, but now I'm wondering what I should do. Also I'm not familiar with the "Trust Fund & Sales Type" terminology. One I'm looking at is TF E & ST Y.

Should I purchase at least a minimal # of points through Pinnacle so I can utilize Day Use and then purchase the rest from Ebay, etc?

Thanks!

Reaction score
There are 2 ways to look at purchasing points...retail versus 3rd party steal.

It's awesome that you live so near such an amazing property. No wonder you want Day Use and Bonus Time! I used to work for BlueGreen, and it is definitely true that you do not have Day Use (part of Charter Benefits), unless you purchase directly from BlueGreen or their resale company, Pinnacle Vacations. It's one of the things we always cautioned and reminded people about if they said they could always purchase on eBay or through some other 3rd party means.

This all being said, I always wanted to become a BlueGreen owner, because I really believed in the product I was selling, and I was extremely familiar with how the product works, and how my family would use it. Affordability was an issue, as I'm sure you've researched...retail price buying directly from BlueGreen...a little cheaper, but still expensive through Pinnacle, but you will get the Charter Benefits...amazing deals through eBay. Back in February, I wandered onto eBay and ended up getting a 24,000bi points package at a STEAL! The closing took a long time, but the closing company was great. I just got my owner # and booked Myrtle Beach for this summer. We live near a property that has an indoor and outdoor pool, so it would be nice to have Day Use too, but we know that the overall savings/deal overrides paying thousands for Charter Benefits.

My advice to you is this...when I worked in owner services for BlueGreen back in 2007/2008, we would get people who bought through 3rd party means without any Charter Benefits, but wanted those benefits. The only way they would get them, is to buy some points from BlueGreen. Back then, you could blend your 3rd party points and your retail points...that is no longer the case. You would always have 2 packages, with maintenance fees calculated with a base amount and however many points you owned together. You will pay more for your maintenance fees overall, plus 2 sets of club dues.

If you HAVE to have Day Use, which means Charter Benefits, which means purchasing through BlueGreen or Pinnacle...then do it. Spend more, get more, and make sure it's a point level that will work for you for years to come without having to upgrade.

If you can live without Day Use, but are okay with being deeded out of Big Cedar so you can use Bonus Time, then buy through a 3rd party like eBay, and save your money. Keep in mind, if you do this, and you go on an owners' update...which you should every once in a while...they will push for you to buy and remind you of what you don't have. You can ask about blending the packages, but I'm 99% sure you can't. It was a feature we loved in owners' services because it was a huge incentive for people to buy a few more points who just wanted the Charter Benefits and maybe to get to the next tier of ownership.

Either way, make sure you ask the right questions and understand EXACTLY what you're purchasing. Make sure your mortgage is fully paid and all fees are up to date, and that you can use it ASAP. Don't be fooled.

I hope that helps a bit! Sorry so long.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's awesome that you live so near such an amazing property. No wonder you want Day Use and Bonus Time! I used to work for BlueGreen, and it is definitely true that you do not have Day Use (part of Charter Benefits), unless you purchase directly from BlueGreen or their resale company, Pinnacle Vacations. It's one of the things we always cautioned and reminded people about if they said they could always purchase on eBay or through some other 3rd party means.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. To anyone - How does bonus time work at Big Cedar if you purchase resale on eBay? Also, if you purchase BlueGreen points on eBay, do you get to book the cabins? Do you know how many points it takes for the cabins?

Reaction score
I can tell you how Bonus Time works at my Branson, MO, Falls Village Resort. I purchased it through eBay.

Bonus Time can be booked up to 45 days on the phone, 48 days online. Usually stays in general need to be 2 nights or more, but my online view would let me book 1 night for my resort. Studio is $59 a night, 1 bedroom is $69 a night, and a 2 bedroom is $79 a night.

You can book any room type available during Bonus Time, but it's a much shorter window of time to get what you want. It's a bonus if you get exactly what you want at such a dollar value steal. You shouldn't plan to rely on Bonus Time to vacation well...use your points, and feel lucky if you can supplement some great trips with Bonus Time.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whoa!!!! Hold off on your purchase of Bluegreen points at The Wilderness Club @ Big Cedar until you can verify Day Use benefits! We went to a sales presentation at Big Cedar, and were told very specifically that buying (even directly from the resort) at Big Cedar does NOT include Day Use. We knew other Bluegreen resorts offered Day Use, and thought it would've been great for us, as we live close, too. Because of strict agreements with the developer, the sales manager didn't think Day Use would ever be offered in the future.

BTW, I can't wait to see/eat at the "new" Top of The Rock. We really liked it before the remodel, but it looks absolutely gorgeous now! Johnny Morris has such an appreciation for nature and a wonderful eye for detail. (Maybe that's why some of his projects seem to take forever? ;) )

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the answer to the day use question at Big Cedar?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more question for current BG owners concerning Big Cedar. Will I be able to get decent reservations at Big Cedar with BG points from other resorts? I'm wondering if I should just get a small points contract at Big Cedar for potential bonus time and then buy a BG points contract at a different resort (because of the price and maintenance fees).

How hard is it for BG owners who own elsewhere to get Big Cedar?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Big Cedar is difficult to reserve in the summer. If you can book at exactly 11 months , have a range of at least 4 or 5 different dates you are willing to accept (and be willing and able to try to book each subsequent one if you could not get the previous one and are flexible enough that you could accept more than one size for example a 1 br or studio, or 2 br or 1 br and were willing to take the lodge or a cabin, you would probably be ok.

The MF's aren't the issue. It would be the buy in cost for a decent week. You only get priority for the specific week or partial week(s) and unit type on your contract. So owning a week 39 studio won't help you get a summer week and you would be in exactly the same spot as a week 2 in Orlando owner and you would be behind all the bronze, silver, gold, and platinum members from everywhere who waitlisted.

Heather5586

Reaction score
stay away from Bluegreen

I wouldn't own with Bluegreen if the timeshare was free and fees were waived for 5 years.

As much as I love Big Cedar, I'm so happy I didn't purchase the timeshare package a couple years ago. After the presentation, and declining the offer, I became obsessed with the whole thing. I've probably read several hundred, if not, thousands of reviews.

One of the biggest complaints I read is how hard it is to get booked with the hotel of your choice. I can't imagine paying thousands of dollars up front, maybe interest too if financed, annual maintenance fees, and then not being about to book my hotel of choice. And who can book 9-12 months in advance? Not me.

Here is proof that Big Cedar is hard to book with using Bluegreen - a couple years ago I signed up with Bass Pro's Big Cedar deal. This was in April. I called to see when the first Fri-Sat dates were available for Big Cedar and it wasn't until Dec of that year!! 8 months later! Also, my brother’s wife’s parents own with Bluegreen and told me they have never been able to stay at Big Cedar. They say it’s always booked and they have been owners for several years. They said it’s one of the worst decisions they’ve made.

Oh and “bonus weeks” or time, whatever they call it – this is where my husband and I almost signed up with Bluegreen. It was when the sales lady started saying, “You can come anytime and stay in a nice log cabin for $59 a night, or if you want two bedrooms, then $69…” I know Big Cedar isn’t cheap and since my husband considered buying property down that way, Bluegreen actually seemed perfect for us. After all, it’s a beautiful resort. The problem here is, this is a big fat lie on Bluegreen’s part. Just read what others write about the bonus time. It’s very limited and next to impossible to actually book. Again, I have read these same complaints on other sites as well.

I was told so many lies the day I was at the presentation. I was also only inches away from signing the contract. The financial Gods were watching over me that day. I remember after I finally said “NO” I had to sign a piece of paper that stated I was never eligible to buy again. ANOTHER LIE by Bluegreen. You can go back after 12 months and do the presentation again. If a company has to offer free stuff and use high pressure sales tactics, then that alone shows it’s likely no good. Bluegreen is a scam. I’m surprised Bass Pro deals with them. Well actually I’m not. Look at the new Top of the Rock. Who do you think built that? Jonny Morris? Nah…. Timeshare owners paying several thousands of dollars for nothing more than a piece of paper and lifelong commitment to maintenance fees. No thanks!!!

I could go on and on….

Stay away from Bluegreen. There are better deals without owning.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest complaints I read is how hard it is to get booked with the hotel of your choice.

Yes, but if you buy a contract with the underlying week that you want to use at Big Cedar, you should be ok, right? That's what I'm considering.

Heather5586

Reaction score
Yes, but if you buy a contract with the underlying week that you want to use at Big Cedar, you should be ok, right? That's what I'm considering.

I would assume so. If you buy/book a certain week, you get that week. I assume that is how it works. Now what if you're sick that week, weather is bad, or you can't get off work? How does it work then? I imagine this is when the nightmare can begin. I'm someone who doesn't go on vacation the same week every year and sometimes I book my vacation only a month in advance so timeshares tend to scare me.

All I know is my experience booking with Big Cedar while going through BG was not easy. I assume being an owner would also have challenges. If you're just going to go once a week out of the year then my advice is to rent a week or just book on the Big Cedar side. How much are the maintenance fees you're going to be paying? Remember, these can and will increase.

I was quoted $700 a year in maintenance fees for the lowest package a couple years ago. I'm curious to know how much your maintenance fees will be. If they are $700-$1000 then you can book at Big Cedar without having to own.

I'm going in September and can't wait!! :banana:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Heather, Timeshares probably aren't going to work for you. Since there are plenty of owners who are willing and able to reserve the prime time inventory 8-12 months in advance, it doesn't work for those who want to book prime time 1 month in advance.

For you sticking to renting hotels and renting from timeshare owners will work much better.

Reaction score
I've owned Bluegreen since 2000 and I'm pretty happy (although I wouldn't mind seeing MFs go down!). But I plan way out in the future (I don't have March 2015 booked and it's making me antsy but I do have plans for September 2015 and July 2016) so timeshares work for me.

Some thoughts on what's been said here:

1. BG salespeople are, at best, terribly misinformed. I would just outright say that they lie. I've known more about the system every time I've done an owners update just by virtue of lurking on TUG and reading my monthly emails from Bluegreen. The only thing you can believe is what's written in the contract.

2. I find it very hard to believe that day-use privileges are available through resale (except, of course, Pinnacle).

3. If you buy a small package through Pinnacle/Bluegreen and get more points on the re-sale market, Bluegreen will NO LONGER combine your points into a single deed. That typically translates into higher maintenance fees per point (depending on which trust fund you buy into).

4. If you buy a Big Cedar week, then you have the right to reserve it 11-12 months in advance. But at the 11 month mark, it goes into the pool for other owners and you no longer have it. So make sure you reserve it in advance if you want to use it.

5. I've never tried for a Big Cedar week, but I've never had problems getting the dates and locations that I've wanted. I've booked in Savannah, Charleston (multiple times), and New Orleans for personal use as well as many other, desirable resorts that SFX will take for exchanges. I typically book 8-10 months in advance and I'm particular about dates because we often use BG for our wedding anniversary trips so there's not much flexibility there!

6. Trust funds: the calculation of maintenance fees vary depending on which trust fund you're in. Generally, if you have more than 11,000 points (or somewhere around there), trust fund E is the most cost efficient. If you have fewer than that, I think trust fund D (but I could be wrong) is the one you want. There's a maintenance fee calculator in the Bluegreen Yahoo group (hit the "files" tab) that gives you an idea of the difference between the trust funds and how they impact the maintenance fees.

7. Speaking of which, I've found the Bluegreen Yahoo group to be helpful over the years when I had specific questions.