• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP PLEASE [Westgate]

RAEANNSPIKE

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wESTGATE vILLAS
I know nothing about timeshares, I am a realtor from Minnesota who is trying to
help an elderly friend who's husband passed away in March...she suffers from dimentia
and knows little to nothing about the details of the timeshare she and her husband
own in Westgate Villa's in Florida...she changed her phone number so Westgate would
stop calling asking for the 2017 maintenance fee.
I have the paperwork and deed from the original purchase in 2008. She wants nothing
more than getting this timeshare cancelled.
I joined TUG to try and sell it but in something I read I'm wondering if there is an option
to cancel because of hardship? would she be entitled to any money back?
Please help.
Thank You

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, the timeshare is worthless - zero, zilch. There is no resale value.

Secondly, if the timeshare has been fully paid off, including fully paid up maintenance, it has been reported by some that Westgate will take it back. You just need to call Westgate directly and discuss.

Lastly, do not pay any company who claim that they can take it off your hand with an upfront cost, these companies are all scammers. Since there is no value in a Westgate timeshare in the resale market, there is no buyer who will be willing to pay anything for it.
Westgate puts all sorts of booking restrictions on a resale Westgate timeshare which makes any resale Westgate timeshare toxic to own.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Someone on her behalf needs to contact Westgate and find out if they will offer a hardship cancellation. She would get no money back if they agree and they may ask her to pay a fee or get the payments up to date before taking it back.

The timeshare is worth less than the 2017 MF so to even give it away she would have to be current on those. If she owes on a mortgage giving away would also not be an option.

If Westgate refuses to do a hardship cancel or a deed in lieu of foreclosure, she would just have to wait for them to foreclose and take whatever credit hit that may entrail if she is unable to pay off what is still owed so she could try to give it away.

RAEANNSPIKE

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wESTGATE vILLAS
Thank you for the replies...maybe I will call about a deed in lieu...mortgage is paid in full, just a 2017 maintenance fee owed

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies...maybe I will call about a deed in lieu...mortgage is paid in full, just a 2017 maintenance fee owed
Are you her POA? If not, you may have a POA call with you. If she does not have a POA set up before she has dementia, she cannot set one up now - only court can appoint one. If she does not have a POA, Westgate may want her to be on the phone with you. Hopefully she can still communicate her wishes, with your help.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Are you her POA? If not, you may have a POA call with you. If she does not have a POA set up before she has dementia, she cannot set one up now - only court can appoint one. If she does not have a POA, Westgate may want her to be on the phone with you. Hopefully she can still communicate her wishes, with your help.

Depending on the degree of disability, a court may need to appoint a guardian to manage her affairs. Although, I have to say changing her phone number to keep Westgate from bugging her sounds like a pretty sound move!

["Sane" changed to "sound" to avoid offending the hypersensitive.]

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also in cases like these, it sounds like perhaps her credit score isnt really an issue...so with all things considered assuming they dont work with you to surrender it back willingly...id think long and hard before someone pays the 2017 maint fee and throws that money away.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about timeshares, I am a realtor from Minnesota who is trying to
help an elderly friend who's husband passed away in March...she suffers from dimentia
and knows little to nothing about the details of the timeshare she and her husband
own in Westgate Villa's in Florida...she changed her phone number so Westgate would
stop calling asking for the 2017 maintenance fee.
I have the paperwork and deed from the original purchase in 2008. She wants nothing
more than getting this timeshare cancelled.
I joined TUG to try and sell it but in something I read I'm wondering if there is an option
to cancel because of hardship? would she be entitled to any money back?
Please help.
Thank You

Welcome to TUG.
Thank you for helping your friend.
Write a letter for your friend to Westgate. State that she has no money and will not send another cent. Tell them she is willing to give back the deed right now, or they can instead choose to go through the more costly foreclosure route.
If they send paperwork to file the deed, do that. If not, let them foreclose.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Write a letter for your friend to Westgate. State that she has no money and will not send another cent. Tell them she is willing to give back the deed right now, or they can instead choose to go through the more costly foreclosure route.
If they send paperwork to file the deed, do that. If not, let them foreclose.

While I certainly agree wholeheartedly with your thinking, I suspect that Wastegate will demand that maintenance fees be paid up to date before they will even consider accepting a deedback. They are not people known for consideration, understanding or compassion.

Non-judicial foreclosure is not costly for a company with a legal staff (and a willingness to give them something to do --- besides defending various lawsuits).
It's just another business expense to those parasites. I hope that Wastegate will accept a deedback without the current year fees being paid, but I would not be willing to place that bet.

Last edited: