*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Help please! When to change Staroptions into points

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by Cathyb, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Cathyb

Cathyb Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We are thinking of changing our StarOptions to StarPoints for 2010. We currently own 2 Bedroom at Westin Mission Hills every other year.

We used our unit in 2008, don't have use of it in 2009 so I believe every four years we can turn unit in for our Starpoints.

I looked in the Starwood FAQ and could not find the timeframe I can make this transfer. Can a Tugger help me please :confused:

Am I eligible? When is the soonest I can turn unit in for Starpoints? Thank you in advance :)

2. tomandrobin

tomandrobin TUG Member

I don't have an answer about the EOY staroption-starpoint conversion.

But have you considered depositing into II?

3. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

Hi Cathy - Frankly, I would never convert my TS to Starpoints. It's just not a good value. Instead I'd rent or deposit w/II.

Also, note that you are not converting your Staroptions to points, you are converting your week directly to points.

Here is the info. from the FAQ that you are looking for:

MY ERROR CORRECTED - You can convert to Starpoints between October 1 (prior to the Use Year being converted) and March 31 (of the actual Use Year being converted)

Before you do, look carefully at the number of Starpoints you will get:

Westin Mission Hills - 2 bedroom lock-off
    Platinum - 72,000, Gold - 48,000, Silver - 23,500

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. BradC

BradC Guest

Actually, I recall you can convert as early as October 1 in the year before your use year -- so in this case, your 2010 usage could be converted as early as October 1, 2009.

5. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

Thank you Brad! You are right and I stand corrected... :eek:

From mystarcentral.com:

6. Cathyb

Thanks Denise! I know it isn't a 'good value' but we have six other timeshares and three of those can be split, spent as credits for other timeshare locations -- more than we are finding time to use. We get the most benefit of using those Starpoints for airfare to Maui, Hawaii for two. :)

7. Cathyb

Thank you Brad!

8. James1975NY

James1975NY TUG Member

This is the best example of when to consider the conversion to SPG Points as a "viable" option. The only time you will want to convert to SPG Points is when you simply have too many other weeks to "burn".