• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Help!! Just bought a Wyndham timeshare on Thursday!

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista
Glad to hear you are rescinding and considering resale!

I own resale at Bonnet Creek and a couple other Wyndham resorts and so far we're very happy with our resale points. Even though we just moved to Florida, we enjoy our stays at Bonnet Creek and plan to continue our tradition of going there for Thanksgiving every year for the time being. We have two Bonnet Creek contracts for a total of 231,000 points that we bought resale for about $1200 (including closing costs) or about a half cent per point. Others have paid more and some have paid less. Just do some more research on current resale costs, maintenance fees, and what you realistically expect to use each year. (Read the Wyndham Directory and supplement, especially pages 334-341, and browse the points needed at the resorts you're interested in.) Then be patient and watch for the deals on eBay, Sumday, RedWeek, TUG, and other trusted resellers.

While I may have paid a little more than others, I was looking for specific contracts and I avoided overpaying by knowing what I wanted and what was reasonable in the market at that time. I avoided overbidding on auctions, and was able to approach other resalers and negotiate down their posted price. You probably want about 154,000 points to start in order to do much, but most people recommend getting between 231,000 - 308,000 if you want to take more than one Wyndham vacation each year, as long as you have a decent understanding of the system and your vacation expectations. And even those number of points won't get you into all resorts. Just be aware that resale points do not qualify you for VIP status. Although it's nearly impossible for most people to justify the cost of paying retail from Wyndham to get VIP given the huge price difference for resale.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
TUG School can get really addicting also but it nice when you go to your next presentation and you know more then what the sales person in front of you knows.
Thank you so much!! Yes we got a lot to learn and plan on doing research before we purchase. But it will definitely be a resale now thanks to this group of wonderful people who responded so quickly to my post to help me.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Glad to hear you are rescinding and considering resale!

I own resale at Bonnet Creek and a couple other Wyndham resorts and so far we're very happy with our resale points. Even though we just moved to Florida, we enjoy our stays at Bonnet Creek and plan to continue our tradition of going there for Thanksgiving every year for the time being. We have two Bonnet Creek contracts for a total of 231,000 points that we bought resale for about $1200 (including closing costs) or about a half cent per point. Others have paid more and some have paid less. Just do some more research on current resale costs, maintenance fees, and what you realistically expect to use each year. (Read the Wyndham Directory and supplement, especially pages 334-341, and browse the points needed at the resorts you're interested in.) Then be patient and watch for the deals on eBay, Sumday, RedWeek, TUG, and other trusted resellers.

While I may have paid a little more than others, I was looking for specific contracts and I avoided overpaying by knowing what I wanted and what was reasonable in the market at that time. I avoided overbidding on auctions, and was able to approach other resalers and negotiate down their posted price. You probably want about 154,000 points to start in order to do much, but most people recommend getting between 231,000 - 308,000 if you want to take more than one Wyndham vacation each year, as long as you have a decent understanding of the system and your vacation expectations. And even those number of points won't get you into all resorts. Just be aware that resale points do not qualify you for VIP status. Although it's nearly impossible for most people to justify the cost of paying retail from Wyndham to get VIP given the huge price difference for resale.

Good Luck!
Thank you for the info . We will definitely look into some of the sites u just listed. What is a normal mf that we should look for because idk what the going rate is ?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
And we are a fun group, too.

We like to vacation and by learning how to wisely spend our vacation dollars, we go more often and vacation better with our family & friends.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
OK, good job getting it all handled and saving $$!! Now....... BREATHE... pat yourself on the back and go enjoy your vacation.

You just experienced (and escaped to tell about it) a normal type of TS "Vacation Crack" sales event. It happens to some of the most experienced TS owners so you are not alone.

Come back and visit us here in TUG when you get home and are ready to spend some time researching and understanding ownership. There is a learning curve. TUG TS "school" is the best there is -- start with the stickies, take it in small bites. Information overwhelm is a thing! The struggle is REAL but to many, so worth it!
Yes!!! Thank you all so much for saving us from this , I'm very thankful for this site and all the peoples quick responses . I am home now and we will definitely start research on this site and learn what we need in order to buy resale.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info . We will definitely look into some of the sites u just listed. What is a normal mf that we should look for because idk what the going rate is ?
There's a 2017 Sticky that has current MF's per resort [try not to let it overwhelm you].

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/sticky-wyndham-2017-maintenance-fee-list.249380/

If you can get a contract under $6/K that's considered "normal" but there are also MF's at some locations that fall into the $5/K <--- BETTER

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
And we are a fun group, too.

We like to vacation and by learning how to wisely spend our vacation dollars, we go more often and vacation better with our family & friends.
Yes!! Awesome. Thanks! I can't wait to start learning how all this works and start looking for my resale.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Congratulations on finding TUG in time! You are making a very wise decision to rescind now while you still can. Stick around TUG--it's a great place to learn everything there is to know about timesharing plus a lot of other very interesting stuff!
Yes thank u very much for your help!!

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista
A good indication of what's normal would probably be the maintenance fees for Club Wyndham Access (CWA) since it is a mix of resorts, and stay away from most resorts that are significantly over it. Bonnet Creek has a similar maintenance fee to CWA.

When looking for contracts, also think about where you want to stay and when, and if that's a reasonable expectation. There are many popular resorts where it can be very difficult to get in at peak times without owning at that resort so that you can book 13 months in advance using your Advance Reservation Priority (ARP). (There are some resorts where even with ARP at peak season you will need to be on the phone the minute the reservation lines open up at 13 months to get a reservation.) CWA helps some by giving you ARP at many resorts, but may have limited inventory at some resorts. The point is, if you want a popular time at a resort without a large amount of inventory, you may want to consider purchasing there just for ARP, and remember when you need to get on the phone to book it. If that's not a concern, then for the most part, points are points at 10 months out. Bonnet Creek is a large resort with a lot of inventory, so it's not as critical. But there are still certain peak times of the year where you need ARP to be sure you get what you want there.

It's a lot to take in, some people get overwhelmed. If that's the case, focus on what's most important to you first and come back to other stuff once you understand your priorities first.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Thanks th
A good indication of what's normal would probably be the maintenance fees for Club Wyndham Access (CWA) since it is a mix of resorts, and stay away from most resorts that are significantly over it. Bonnet Creek has a similar maintenance fee to CWA.

When looking for contracts, also think about where you want to stay and when, and if that's a reasonable expectation. There are many popular resorts where it can be very difficult to get in at peak times without owning at that resort so that you can book 13 months in advance using your Advance Reservation Priority (ARP). (There are some resorts where even with ARP at peak season you will need to be on the phone the minute the reservation lines open up at 13 months to get a reservation.) CWA helps some by giving you ARP at many resorts, but may have limited inventory at some resorts. The point is, if you want a popular time at a resort without a large amount of inventory, you may want to consider purchasing there just for ARP, and remember when you need to get on the phone to book it. If that's not a concern, then for the most part, points are points at 10 months out. Bonnet Creek is a large resort with a lot of inventory, so it's not as critical. But there are still certain peak times of the year where you need ARP to be sure you get what you want there.

It's a lot to take in, some people get overwhelmed. If that's the case, focus on what's most important to you first and come back to other stuff once you understand your priorities first.
thanks!!! That helps a lot. We go to the gulf coast and stay on the beach every year for a week so I'm going to start there by looking for points. I like the idea of CWA so I'm going to look into that too, I had CWA on the timeshare that I just cancelled.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!! That helps a lot. We go to the gulf coast and stay on the beach every year for a week so I'm going to start there by looking for points. I like the idea of CWA so I'm going to look into that too, I had CWA on the timeshare that I just cancelled.
A low MF Gulf Coast location is Panama City. One of the lowest MF's in the entire system. It's not a CWA location, although CWA has inventory at PC. It's a CWP UDI deeded location.

So much to learn. Ask questions if you didn't get all of those acronyms. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
A low MF Gulf Coast location is Panama City. One of the lowest MF's in the entire system. It's not a CWA location, although CWA has inventory at PC. It's a CWP UDI deeded location.

So much to learn. Ask questions if you didn't get all of those acronyms. :rolleyes:
So what is CWP? UDI because I'm looking at one in Panama City because it's close to our home. Only like 4.5 hours away. A good weekend resort.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
CWP ... Club Wyndham Plus .. .aka CWP same thing .. both UDI .. UnDivided Interest ... just a different term .. same thing. It is the deeded ownership.

CWA ... Club Wyndham Access ... a club MEMBERSHIP which owns and HOLDS the title to the deeds for the club's vacation ownership.

brownhaired_girl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jennifer,
My first purchase happened to be a Wyndham Bonnett Creek unit from the developer back in 2006. I did not learn about TUG until I had owned for a while. I have since purchased a unit resale that trades through II. I have come to very much appreciate the quality of the Marriott resorts. If you live in the Florida area you are in an area with many Marriott options. Before you set your mind on the Wyndham system I would encourage you to check out the Marriott section on TUG and see what the knowledgeable people there have to teach. With an II account you also have access to the Getaways. I'm not saying I don't like my Wyndham, just that I'm not sure it would be my first choice. I am very happy to have options. Take your time. It is way easier to buy than sell..

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do plan to buy resale now!

Just make sure you do a lot of research first before even buying a resale. As many have pointed out, you can get a resale for peanuts. But there's a reason they're being sold for peanuts (or even being given away for free). Check out the New to Timesharing forum and the stickie about what to buy. It will give you some real soul-searching questions that will analyze what your needs, wants, and situation are. And you can examine it without bias and without the pressure of a sales person whose only interest is making a sale.

The other option you can look into is renting from current owners. This will allow you to "try before you buy". Sometimes you can even rent from a current owner for less than the MFs.

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
My husband and I just bought a Wyndham timeshare on Thursday from bonnet creek and are not sure if we need to cancel or not , we just found this forum yesterday . And now I think I need to cancel and buy resale but we know nothing about any of this. We bought 84,000 points for $17,198.70. We got 84,000 bonus points for only 2 years.
We were at a presentation on Thursday also. We were at sea world and they promote a second day free option if you go to the travel kiosk. We were at our new to us discovery beach time share at Cocoa beach, which was fantastic and since the next day weather was rain in the am and we were shopping in the afternoon in Orlando, and had wanted to see Bonnet Creek we signed up for the 2nd day upgrade and gift card. The sales girl was very friendly until I mentioned we had 5 time shares and had no intention of buying. Then she brought in the supervisor who asked what we would be willing to buy. I told her we only bought resale or on TUG to which she turned and walked out telling the rep to give us a quick tour and give us the gift card and get us out. ( yes in those words) The rep almost ran us through the resort and chided us for wasting her time. I replied that it was they who advertised the free upgrade and gift card. We Told them we would not be buying.They said go anyways and have an open mind. Back in the elevator I asked her if she ever told her customers they could buy her product for so much less resale or if she was familiar with TUG. She became very agitated as the elevator was full of other potential buyers.
only took 1 hour to get in and out. I used the gift card shopping and had a great rest of an otherwise uneventful day :)
Smiled every time we went past the vacation kiosk the next day at Seaworld :D
Glad you found TUG and saved a bundle!!!

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The rep almost ran us through the resort and chided us for wasting her time.
This is one my pet peeves about timeshare sales people. It is their marketing plan to cajole victims to sit through their presentations and it is their business model to entice people to come for whatever gifts they offer. I find it extremely obnoxious for them to berate anyone who agrees to their offer & gives up some of their vacation time to come listen to their sales pitch.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
We were at a presentation on Thursday also. We were at sea world and they promote a second day free option if you go to the travel kiosk. We were at our new to us discovery beach time share at Cocoa beach, which was fantastic and since the next day weather was rain in the am and we were shopping in the afternoon in Orlando, and had wanted to see Bonnet Creek we signed up for the 2day upgrade and gift card. The sales girl was very friendly until I mentioned we had 5 time shares and had no intention of buying. Then she brought in the supervisor who asked what we would be willing to buy. I told her we only bought resale or on TUG to which she turned and walked out telling the rep to give us a quick tour and give us the gift card and get us out. ( yes in those words) The rep almost ran us through the resort and chided us for wasting her time. I replied that it was they who advertised the free upgrade and gift card. We Told them we would not be buying.They said go anyways and have an open mind. Back in the elevator I asked her if she ever told her customers they could buy her product for so much less resale or if she was familiar with TUG. She became very agitated as the elevator was full of other potential buyers.
only took 1 hour to get in and out. I used the gift card shopping and had a great rest of an otherwise uneventful day :)
Smiled every time we went past the vacation kiosk the next day at Seaworld :D
Glad you found TUG and saved a bundle!!!
Oh wow!!! I wish I would have found this site before I bought , but at least I found you all before it was too late. I'm extremely thankful for the help I have received on here and the quick response. I didn't even get my gift card, they said it will be mailed to me so I will probably never see it. We wasted an entire day because they were supposedly having computer problems. We got there at 8am and left around 2. It was the worst experience ever!!! I don't think I ever want to do another one.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Just make sure you do a lot of research first before even buying a resale. As many have pointed out, you can get a resale for peanuts. But there's a reason they're being sold for peanuts (or even being given away for free). Check out the New to Timesharing forum and the stickie about what to buy. It will give you some real soul-searching questions that will analyze what your needs, wants, and situation are. And you can examine it without bias and without the pressure of a sales person whose only interest is making a sale.

The other option you can look into is renting from current owners. This will allow you to "try before you buy". Sometimes you can even rent from a current owner for less than the MFs.
Thank you !!! I will go check out the forums that you recommend before I purchase

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on finding TUG in time to rescind, Jennifer.
I'm only going to add one more rule - do not finance a timeshare.
Read TUG, ask questions for at least 6 months. When you understand how Wyndham, Marriott, Hilton, etc work, then look for a resale contract.

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
This is one my pet peeves about timeshare sales people. It is their marketing plan to cajole victims to sit through their presentations and it is their business model to entice people to come for whatever gifts they offer. I find it extremely obnoxious for them to berate anyone who agrees to their offer & gives up some of their vacation time to come listen to their sales pitch.
I had a sales person get really upset and raised his voice and said "Why did you come to the sales presentation if you were not interested in buying." I said "Are you kidding me, first of all, they insisted it wasn't a sales presentation, just an informational owner update. But the main reason I'm here, for the $100.00 of course.

Off to giving in less the 30 min.