• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! I've deposited my week and now what...

Darla360

Reaction score
My mom purchased a timeshare quite a few years ago and recently she gave it to me and my siblings to use.

I deposited my week with RCI Platinum but I didn't tell them where we were going and when we were going. Was I supposed to tell them that information when I deposited my week.

I am very new to timeshare, so I found this site and hopefully I can learn how to utilize everything. I did use the RCI last call right before Christmas in Orlando, but I need some guidance of what I need to do when I deposit my week.
Any assistance will help!
Thanks!

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Depositing a week and using it are separate steps. It will help if we know what week, size and resort you deposited and then where you want to go. We can give you an idea of what is realistic.
Exchanges are not like booking a motel where there is a set amount of inventory. You deposit a week and then look to see what is available that you might want. The week you want has to be deposited by its owner so you need to analyze how likely that is vs the owner wanting to rent it or use it. There is trading power involved, i.e. if your week is valued similarly to the week you want. Trading power is a secret sauce that each exchange company applies differently so we have to guess on it, but RCI has made it easier by using TPU to tell you how much your week is worth. If you have enough TPU, you can spend it on one or more weeks elsewhere.
The best way to get what you want is to put in an ongoing search. You pay the fee upfront and then they fill those first before the week goes into the online inventory. You can search with your deposit, but if you don't see what you want, put in an ongoing search.
There are 2 parts of RCI; weeks, which uses TPU and points. I'm assuming you have weeks??

Sue

Darla360

Reaction score
Good morning.
I have weeks 15-32, which is April 21-Aug 13. The home resort is a 1 bedroom at Westgate in Orlando.
Thanks
Darla

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Good morning.
I have weeks 15-32, which is April 21-Aug 13. The home resort is a 1 bedroom at Westgate in Orlando.
Thanks
Darla
And where do you want to go? How many TPUs does it give you?
In general, Orlando has lots of timeshares so tends to be an easy trade. Don't expect to be able to trade into a difficult to get spot. Do you have a specific week deposited or is it a float week that covers all those weeks? Others who are familiar with Westgate will be able to give you better advice.

On a sidenote: Westgate is one of the worst timeshare companies. Use your mother's timeshare, but don't transfer title over. Use it while it is worthwhile to you, but you can do better with other companies. If you decide you like timesharing, come back for more advice and we can help you with the decision and process.

Sue

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> Westgate is one of the worst timeshare companies. Use your mother's timeshare, but don't transfer title over. Use it while it is worthwhile to you... <snip>

Sage advice and a valid observation. OP definitely should never knowingly get her name put onto any Westgate deed, since it would be nearly impossible to find a willing new recipient later, even if the ownership was offered to be given away for free. While some of the Westgate properties are certainly decent enough, the company itself is quite simply "the worst of the worst" on Planet Timeshare (IMnsHO) and they unnecessarily make things very difficult for "resale" purchasers.

Last edited: