• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help!!! Bedbugs in our unit!!!

1songbird

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please help!
We are at Ocean Boulevard. Yesterday I had a bug crawling on me and flicked it off because it startled me. I told my husband it looked like a bedbug but we couldn't find it. I was sitting in the same place again today (sofa) and there it was crawling beside me. I screamed and my husband killed it. It was definitely a LIVE bedbug! Who do I call? What do I do? I don't want to stay here another minute even though I have an Oceanfront room.

Melody

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You walk to the front desk and ask to speak to the manager, and ask to be moved to a different unit. You don't want an adjacent unit - you want to be farther away.

***Take a picture of the bed bugs with your phone, or take a bedbug with you, to show the front desk.

Bed bugs have been found in even the most exclusive hotels. This is because PEOPLE carry bedbugs, and they can go for months without food, so it isn't a matter of the resort's lack of sanitation.

Do you really scream just because you see a bug? :shrug:

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Call the office, contact housekeeping. Demand to be moved to a different, freshly cleaned/fumigated unit. Rip the sheets off the bed and look around the beading/seams around the edges for the brownish/reddish signs of the critters to show them.

I don't think I'd be wasting time posting about this until those who can actually do something are alerted.

Good luck!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please note that cleaning and fumigation don't kill bed bugs. The best method is heat.

1songbird

TUG Member
Reaction score
No I don't scream when I see garden variety bugs but I recognized this as a BEDBUG!!! Thank you for your advice. My plan was to call a manager but yes, in person would be better. I am getting off here to do that and immediately pack my bags!

Thank you all again!!! I will update later.

Melody

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Be careful you don't bring them with you to the next unit. I'd leave your bags out on the balcony and wash everything in hot water and dry on high heat. Put your suitcase in a garbage bag and seal it so it doesn't get wet and leave it out on the balcony.

Fun story. One resort we stayed at through RCI had a guy with a little terrier type dog that was trained to sniff out bedbugs come through all the units while we were there. He demonstrated how the dog was trained for me by hiding a little container of them while the dog and I waited in another room. When the dog found the container he got a treat. He had contracts with a lot or resorts and rental properties in that area. Said the resort we were staying at hadn't had any but that with people coming and going it is easy to get them.

If you have bites keep an eye on them. Make very sure it is in fact a bed bug and not a tick. Lyme disease can be debilitating and deadly if not caught and treated in time.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Please help!
We are at Ocean Boulevard. Yesterday I had a bug crawling on me and flicked it off because it startled me. I told my husband it looked like a bedbug but we couldn't find it. I was sitting in the same place again today (sofa) and there it was crawling beside me. I screamed and my husband killed it. It was definitely a LIVE bedbug! Who do I call? What do I do? I don't want to stay here another minute even though I have an Oceanfront room.

Melody
Those are some hungry bedbugs. Typically they hide in the day and come out at night to secretly feed on you!

Also, while they're are very gross, and can be infected with at least 28 human pathogens, no studies have found that the insects are capable of transmitting any of these to humans. So actually, they're not as bad as mosquitos.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are some hungry bedbugs. Typically they hide in the day and come out at night to secretly feed on you!

Also, while they're are very gross, and can be infected with at least 28 human pathogens, no studies have found that the insects are capable of transmitting any of these to humans. So actually, they're not as bad as mosquitos.

Unless you bring the bedbugs home with you. :eek:

I have dealt with bedbugs and the way to rid your home and possessions of them is EXTREMELY expensive.

DeniseM comment on HEAT extermination is correct ... the COST for a small home or apartment in my area is $4500 and UP ... plus a 3+ day locked out as your place has to BAKE that long plus the preparation time.

Look at stripping your home of all bedding, soft goods (mattresses, rugs & padding), electronics (computers, TV, radios, microwaves, refrigerators, phones) and washing everything in the washer & drying at the highest setting. You will be investing in a heavy duty trash bags and duct tape ... once cleaned, you seal it up & transport to a clean place in a different vehicle. (ie I suggest a large coin operated laundry). It is recommended that ALL cover plates on electrical outlets be opened up for extermination ... those bugs like anything warm.

Then, you will have a winkle in your life .. paranoid to extremes, that they will come back.

PS Your home owner's insurance does not cover bedbug damage (due to infestation) or removal.

rleigh

Reaction score
You walk to the front desk and ask to speak to the manager, and ask to be moved to a different unit. You don't want an adjacent unit - you want to be farther away.

***Take a picture of the bed bugs with your phone, or take a bedbug with you, to show the front desk.

Bed bugs have been found in even the most exclusive hotels. This is because PEOPLE carry bedbugs, and they can go for months without food, so it isn't a matter of the resort's lack of sanitation.

Do you really scream just because you see a bug? :shrug:

Great advice but that last part, ouch.

We're human. Not all our reactions to any one thing will be exactly alike. I'm sure there are things that bother you that other people would shrug at.

We all have our things. And a million different reasons why.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Am curious to know if they really are bedbugs.

OP posted that you don't usually see bedbugs during the day. They hide from the light and come out to feed at night.

We live in Florida now and warm, humid climates tend to have more bugs. When we lived up north in Pennsylvania as Fall approached bugs would start appearing in the house.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
:shrug:

This is true, and the resort is in a Catch 22 in this regard. They can't not move you, and when they do move you, it has a high risk of spreading the bedbugs to another part of the resort. Diligent resorts would put both rooms Out of Order until they could be inspected, treated, and re-inspected, but every resort and hotel, unfortunately, isn't diligent.

1songbird

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update everybody. We went in person to the front desk and asked for a manager. Never got to speak to one but we were told to leave everything in place. Too late, we had already packed and put the stuff in our car. After presenting them with the bloody bug on a napkin they had maintenance go and inspect our unit. I asked if they were educated and knew what they were looking for. They assured me they had received classes and knew. After waiting for about 35 minutes they claim they found nothing. The bug was crawling ON Me so I got a close up and personal look at it. When my husband smashed it dead it was full of blood. There was also a rusty red looking spot that was on the sofa when we sat on it. Didn't think much about it at the time. Our daughter is a flight attendant and has practically lived in hotels for 13 years and she educated me about what they look like and I have seen dead ones so I am 99.99 percent sure that the two I saw were indeed bedbugs. They agreed to move us. We are now in tower 2, not 1. View is not as good but it will have to suffice. Interesting that we got a call last night that pest exterminators are here today. It burned through a few hours of our vacation time.

Last edited:

EvelynK72

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
What unit are you in. I have friends going there next month.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And don't forget to report these bedbugs at bedbugregistry.com

If you are staying is Wyndham Ocean Boulevard in North Myrtle Beach SC, then they have had reports of bedbugs in the past (see link below). A report from 2016 would show others that the problem has been an ongoing one since 2011.

Bedbugs travel on people and their stuff. A report in the past and a report today really doesn't mean it is on-going. It could mean that the last person who stayed in the unit before the OP brought them in - especially since the infestation seems to be very minor.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
And don't forget to report these bedbugs at bedbugregistry.com

If you are staying is Wyndham Ocean Boulevard in North Myrtle Beach SC, then they have had reports of bedbugs in the past (see link below). A report from 2016 would show others that the problem has been an ongoing one since 2011.

http://bedbugregistry.com/hotel/SC/North-Myrtle-Beach/Wyndham%25252DOcean-Boulevard

Omg.. Thanks for the link :eek:

Quote from the link Bedbug registry link above

Anonymous on 05/23/2011
I work in the housekeeping dept. and I am aware of at least 50 rooms that have had bed bugs. The staff at the front desk have been told to deny this problem, but don't believe it.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bedbugs travel on people and their stuff. A report in the past and a report today really doesn't mean it is on-going. It could mean that the last person who stayed in the unit before the OP brought them in - especially since the infestation seems to be very minor.

Agree 100%, and this reporting is unfair to the many resorts and hotels that work hard to keep their properties bug-free.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is scary stuff, Linda.

Unless you bring the bedbugs home with you. :eek:

I have dealt with bedbugs and the way to rid your home and possessions of them is EXTREMELY expensive.

DeniseM comment on HEAT extermination is correct ... the COST for a small home or apartment in my area is $4500 and UP ... plus a 3+ day locked out as your place has to BAKE that long plus the preparation time.

Look at stripping your home of all bedding, soft goods (mattresses, rugs & padding), electronics (computers, TV, radios, microwaves, refrigerators, phones) and washing everything in the washer & drying at the highest setting. You will be investing in a heavy duty trash bags and duct tape ... once cleaned, you seal it up & transport to a clean place in a different vehicle. (ie I suggest a large coin operated laundry). It is recommended that ALL cover plates on electrical outlets be opened up for extermination ... those bugs like anything warm.

Then, you will have a winkle in your life .. paranoid to extremes, that they will come back.

PS Your home owner's insurance does not cover bedbug damage (due to infestation) or removal.

My gosh. I'm going to try and not be paranoid now about potentially bringing something back from my stays away from home. :eek:

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
My gosh. I'm going to try and not be paranoid now about potentially bringing something back from my stays away from home. :eek:

Keep your luggage off the beds and upholstered furniture.
That should cut down on the likelihood of cross contamination.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's where we usually place the suitcase when we're unpacking.

Right on top of the bed. When we're packing up, we place the suitcase on the bed. Wow, we're a disaster waiting to happen.

Thank you for that info. :hi:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

And off the rugs or any other fabric coverings. Hard and cold surfaces the bugs don't like unless WARMED up with high watt light bulbs.