• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Heading down to Naples FL in January to Help my Aunt

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Hi Everyone,

Need some help....

My Aunt wants to purchase a mobile home in Naples FL in a 55+ community. I told her I would go down in January to look with her and help her in her selection process.

I have never been to Naples and I wanted to get some advice from the experts, where would be a good place to look for a hotel to stay at for a few days in Mid-January that is nice but not too expensive.

I'm looking to fly into FT. Lauderdale or FT. Myers and then driving to this area with her...I don't want her to pick out the hotel as she is known to pick out the worst accommodations possible.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not real familiar with Naples, but I would think you would be better off looking in November. We did look around there, but settled in estero, which is north of Naples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
For decent places to stay, La Quinta East near I-75 exit 101 Collier is usually the cheapest.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/La+Quinta+Inn+&+Suites+Naples+East+(I-75)/@26.1566311,-81.6898411,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88dafd4a6f88ea79:0x1d9292a5ce7e3087!8m2!3d26.1566263!4d-81.6876524

Wyndham's Hawthorn Suites near I-75 exit 107 Pine Ridge is nicer, about 20 minutes from downtown.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...697305c87ff698a9!8m2!3d26.2127519!4d-81.74652

For a mobile home community, you might look at Riviera Golf Estates.
http://www.rivieragolfestates.org/
http://www.naplesarea.com/community/RIVIERA-GOLF-ESTATES

It's not far from downtown Naples, and prices are relatively modest for the area (the associated golf course is also modest, to say the least).

Typical street view (you can click around to navigate):
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.120...4!1siLLG3zyIGdhbrDkyJl2ewg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Winter months are the high-season in South Florida - lots of snowbirds, as we call 'em.

The Naples Courtyard Inn, Northside, off US 41 (Tamiami Trail), is quite reasonable.
Closer to downtown is the Hyatt House, on the river, also off US 41 (Tamiami Trail).
There are several TS resorts nearby on Marco Island.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For decent places to stay, La Quinta East near I-75 exit 101 Collier is usually the cheapest.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/La+Quinta+Inn+&+Suites+Naples+East+(I-75)/@26.1566311,-81.6898411,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88dafd4a6f88ea79:0x1d9292a5ce7e3087!8m2!3d26.1566263!4d-81.6876524

Wyndham's Hawthorn Suites near I-75 exit 107 Pine Ridge is nicer, about 20 minutes from downtown.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...697305c87ff698a9!8m2!3d26.2127519!4d-81.74652

For a mobile home community, you might look at Riviera Golf Estates.
http://www.rivieragolfestates.org/
http://www.naplesarea.com/community/RIVIERA-GOLF-ESTATES

It's not far from downtown Naples, and prices are relatively modest for the area (the associated golf course is also modest, to say the least).

Typical street view (you can click around to navigate):
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.120...4!1siLLG3zyIGdhbrDkyJl2ewg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Wow, this is great info. Have you stayed in this mobile home community. Thank you

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Winter months are the high-season in South Florida - lots of snowbirds, as we call 'em.

The Naples Courtyard Inn, Northside, off US 41 (Tamiami Trail), is quite reasonable.
Closer to downtown is the Hyatt House, on the river, also off US 41 (Tamiami Trail).
There are several TS resorts nearby on Marco Island.

I would love to go down at a different time but my work somewhat dictates when I can take time off and I've been cleared for January. Thanks for all of the info

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is great info. Have you stayed in this mobile home community. Thank you

Yes, a relative lived there (she died last year). Her home is not for sale - - her daughter lives there now.

Last edited:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, a relative lived there (she died last year). Her home is not for sale - - her daughter lives there now.
I am confused by this -- when I clicked on the link, they were not mobile homes.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Naples area was on our retirement short list until we visited here several months ago. One of the most pretentious places I've been in the U.S. Little character other than wall to-to-wall business. Crowded beaches. Overpriced real estate. However, warm weather in winter and did feel really safe here.. I would fly into Ft. Meyers if you can get a decent airfare as it is much closer.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a big variety in Naples, and some areas to avoid. It is very crowded, and lots of traffic, and lots of business. The area is mostly gated communities, and lots of condos, and dome of the condo areas are nice and some are mot so nice.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will tell her that, it's always nice to know of someone living in an area that can recommended. Thank you for sharing that with me

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Naples area was on our retirement short list until we visited here several months ago. One of the most pretentious places I've been in the U.S. Little character other than wall to-to-wall business. Crowded beaches. Overpriced real estate. However, warm weather in winter and did feel really safe here.. I would fly into Ft. Meyers if you can get a decent airfare as it is much closer.

Thanks for this info. I'm just hoping she finds an affordable and safe location

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confused by this -- when I clicked on the link, they were not mobile homes.

I don't see mobile homes either, looks like cement block construction homes

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I'm just hoping she finds an affordable and safe location

I will say for what it is, it is really well done. Streets are well laid out, very clean. Just no personality..you could be anywhere..

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just remembered crystal lake, off immokoli road and collier boulevard. Our friends lived there seasonally, nice community built around a lake, a bit pricy.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To OP -- I lived in Naples for a few years. My first thought was -- I don't remember any mobile home communities there. Second, I wondered what is sparking her motivation to move there -- family or best friends already there?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know hotels in Naples but some nice hotels at Alico road exit, and corkscrew exit right off I75 that would give you access to interstate. When we were house hunting we stayed at gulf pointe Naples, six weeks at Lehigh resort, and also in fishermans village and some places in Sarasota. There is a little hotel on Vanderbilt beach but my understanding is that Europeans have it booked up all winter.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
To OP -- I lived in Naples for a few years. My first thought was -- I don't remember any mobile home communities there. Second, I wondered what is sparking her motivation to move there -- family or best friends already there?

Naples is one of the wealthiest towns in America. We may have seen one especially as you head north. The problem is if you live in a mobile home here, you going to be seen as a second class citizen. I would not want to live my retired life like this. We are still trying to decide where to retire..

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A few celebrities own nice winter-homes there:
Judge Judy (Sheindlin)
Sean Hannity
Jane Seymour
Neal Boortz
Bob Seger
Donna Summer
Fuzzy Zoeller
Larry Bird
Mike Ditka
Dave Wannstedt
Asa Parseghian
Earl Morrall
Robin Cook

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Do you have a timeshare through RCI? You might be able to find a stay in Naples or close by instead of paying for a hotel.

We love the Watermark Restaurant and Mr. Big Fish. We also really like Mr. Tequila too. The Mercado is fun also and has some great restaurants. We ate at The Pub and had good food. Check out the downtown 5th Avenue section of Naples. We've eaten at Cafe Luna would recommend it. Both Cafe Luna and Mr. Big Fish have some great deals; check out their websites.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Naples is one of the wealthiest towns in America. We may have seen one especially as you head north. The problem is if you live in a mobile home here, you going to be seen as a second class citizen. I would not want to live my retired life like this. We are still trying to decide where to retire..

Yes it has many very wealthy areas, but many not so wealthy areas. A friend bragged she owned in Naples and I was shocked at her condo and the area, because they were so run down. People usually live in communities and associate with people in their community. Our friends that had a trailer home in crystal lake were very wealthy, and when they rented it out they got 3500 a month, while others friends renting condos in Naples got them for $2200 a month. But I don't know anyone who felt like a second class citizen. Places like port royal with homes in the millions are probably pretty self contained. My cousin rented condo across from beach in Naples for six thousand a month, but my sister rented a condo on Marco island for two thousand a month, so there is a huge variety. We have lived in estero for 15 years, and the only people I know outside my community are people I knew before we moved there.
I know there are a lot of mobile home parks in Bonita springs, and one called river woods off broadway in estero is very nice, very well kept,

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes it has many very wealthy areas, but many not so wealthy areas. A friend bragged she owned in Naples and I was shocked at her condo and the area, because they were so run down. People usually live in communities and associate with people in their community. Our friends that had a trailer home in crystal lake were very wealthy, and when they rented it out they got 3500 a month, while others friends renting condos in Naples got them for $2200 a month. But I don't know anyone who felt like a second class citizen. Places like port royal with homes in the millions are probably pretty self contained. My cousin rented condo across from beach in Naples for six thousand a month, but my sister rented a condo on Marco island for two thousand a month, so there is a huge variety. We have lived in estero for 15 years, and the only people I know outside my community are people I knew before we moved there.
I know there are a lot of mobile home parks in Bonita springs, and one called river woods off broadway in estero is very nice, very well kept,

Everyone has their own perspective. I would strongly suggest that the OP pick up a copy of Naples and Gulfshore Life magazines. We have subscriptions to both; they will give you a good idea of what the social scene is like in Naples. The furthur North you go, the more affordable housing is, although still relatively expensive. Prefer the Bonita Springs, Estero areas. We are looking for the ideal place to retire and really wanted to love this area. Unfortunately, we were disappointed. Going back in December to confirm our original thoughts.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just remembered crystal lake, off immokoli road and collier boulevard. Our friends lived there seasonally, nice community built around a lake, a bit pricy.

Thank you, I just wrote this one down on the list I'm making. She will like that it's near a lake.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She has two best friends that moved there and her hubby died at age 51 so she has decided to live her life fully